Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

spudski

Now the dust has settled...

Recommended Posts

....and bearing in mind everyone at the Club is probably focusing on tomorrow's game...however...are we likely to get an in-depth post mortem interview with LJ and MA as to how the transfer window panned out...the details...Nketiah etc, etc etc.?

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spudski said:

....and bearing in mind everyone at the Club is probably focusing on tomorrow's game...however...are we likely to get an in-depth post mortem interview with LJ and MA as to how the transfer window panned out...the details...Nketiah etc, etc etc.?

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere...

I would imagine so. But a somewhat watered down version. As calling out club A or player B has no real benefit, other than to close a potential line in the future. More interested in the players we have signed, than lost out to. So an in-depth chat on the scouting etc on them would be good. COYR 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

I would imagine so. But a somewhat watered down version. As calling out club A or player B has no real benefit, other than to close a potential line in the future. More interested in the players we have signed, than lost out to. So an in-depth chat on the scouting etc on them would be good. COYR 

That's how I also see it...would love them to give a little insight to certain aspects that were either rumoured or reported on though...for example Charlie Austin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we win and Afobe scores everyone will forget about what supposedly went wrong in the transfer window. 

I’m hoping for 3 points tomorrow and some optimism  for the rest of the season. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we'll get something with Mark Ashton early next week if not tomorrow.

Ashton on Twentyman would be decent

Edited by Roe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, spudski said:

....and bearing in mind everyone at the Club is probably focusing on tomorrow's game...however...are we likely to get an in-depth post mortem interview with LJ and MA as to how the transfer window panned out...the details...Nketiah etc, etc etc.?

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere...

Twentyman is trying to get MA on his show for this Monday 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, spudski said:

....and bearing in mind everyone at the Club is probably focusing on tomorrow's game...however...are we likely to get an in-depth post mortem interview with LJ and MA as to how the transfer window panned out...the details...Nketiah etc, etc etc.?

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere...

Like you I'm very interested in how the club does its business...I'm committed and want to be supportive and I think it's easier to do that if you appreciate the challenges that people like Mark Ashton face.

My career was in a public facing organisation which periodically opened up about what it was doing and the choices it had to make and invited people along. It was always interesting, and valuable, to get feedback from people who paid our wages...whose perspective was very sometimes very different to ours. I think an open Q&A would be fascinating

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leave LJ out of it, He's not responsible for transfers

MA should put his big boy pants on and do it

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, swanker said:

If we win and Afobe scores everyone will forget about what supposedly went wrong in the transfer window. 

I’m hoping for 3 points tomorrow and some optimism  for the rest of the season. 

Funny how we as fans see it...I think everythingturned out right in the window in the end. Would rather have Adobe over Nketiah as he's proven and we need an experienced head.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

Leave LJ out of it, He's not responsible for transfers

MA should put his big boy pants on and do it

He's as much responsible as MA.

MA does the financial contract negotiating and sells the club as a whole.

Players speak to LJ as to the footballing side and his philosophy...

Both aspects sell the Club to any player thinking of coming here.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Funny how we as fans see it...I think everythingturned out right in the window in the end. Would rather have Adobe over Nketiah as he's proven and we need an experienced head.

Yes, I agree...a player we'd have been amazed to land just a couple of years ago.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean more from a negotiating POV

Nketiah once a big club like Leeds came calling, I don't think LJ can so much more. Any of us, with no affinity to City, would probably pick Leeds in the same position

To hammer LJ, which is what would happen, is pointless. Ultimately the buck stops with MA

Also have to say I was surprised SL saying last weekend that JL was on holiday. First game of the seas, transfer window still open and he's led on a beach. Found that a little odd 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Yes, I agree...a player we'd have been amazed to land just a couple of years ago.

I like the signing the more I think about it. If we can get the Wolves version back then we've hit the jackpot

Only 26 as well, would have had him 2 or 3 years older than that

One of his backside tomorrow would be lovely

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I mean more from a negotiating POV

Nketiah once a big club like Leeds came calling, I don't think LJ can so much more. Any of us, with no affinity to City, would probably pick Leeds in the same position

To hammer LJ, which is what would happen, is pointless. Ultimately the buck stops with MA

Also have to say I was surprised SL saying last weekend that JL was on holiday. First game of the seas, transfer window still open and he's led on a beach. Found that a little odd 🤷‍♂️

I'm not so sure about Nketiah and why he chose last minute to go to Leeds.

We've courted him for a while. Was it him..his agent...people higher up at Arsenal that had the final say?

 I don't think anyone would blame LJ or MA...the opposite in fact. They've done really well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not so sure about Nketiah and why he chose last minute to go to Leeds.

We've courted him for a while. Was it him..his agent...people higher up at Arsenal that had the final say?

 I don't think anyone would blame LJ or MA...the opposite in fact. They've done really well.

It’s easy to see why they are bigger then us and their dof is mates with Arsenal’s manager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not so sure about Nketiah and why he chose last minute to go to Leeds.

We've courted him for a while. Was it him..his agent...people higher up at Arsenal that had the final say?

 I don't think anyone would blame LJ or MA...the opposite in fact. They've done really well.

As Monkeh says, the DOF relationship may have pleated a part as well

I'm not knocking MA, now the dust has settled I really like what we've done. But I don't want LJ taking the inevitable incoming on this. We had money to spend, everyone knew it, I think (hope) we have spent well. The midfield needed a shake up and we got it

No excuses now though, it's their squad. Time to deliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Ashton must have been ruddy exhausted today. He's probably lost his voice and not slept for three days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

It’s easy to see why they are bigger then us and their dof is mates with Arsenal’s manager

Yes...I realise and know that...however that doesn't mean it's the best Club for his development.

We don't know whether their system is best for him, whether they will play him every week etc.

He said he wanted to go on loan to get regular games etc.

He was very focussed on developing himself.

Would be interesting to know whether he had the decency to tell us why HE chose Leeds over us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

As Monkeh says, the DOF relationship may have pleated a part as well

I'm not knocking MA, now the dust has settled I really like what we've done. But I don't want LJ taking the inevitable incoming on this. We had money to spend, everyone knew it, I think (hope) we have spent well. The midfield needed a shake up and we got it

No excuses now though, it's their squad. Time to deliver

Exciting times...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spudski said:

Yes...I realise and know that...however that doesn't mean it's the best Club for his development.

We don't know whether their system is best for him, whether they will play him every week etc.

He said he wanted to go on loan to get regular games etc.

He was very focussed on developing himself.

Would be interesting to know whether he had the decency to tell us why HE chose Leeds over us.

It seems (based on heresay in fairness) that his reps did not even have the decency to tell us he was not going to turn up for his medical, so not holding my breath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cityexile said:

It seems (based on heresay in fairness) that his reps did not even have the decency to tell us he was not going to turn up for his medical, so not holding my breath.

I read that also...if that's the case, I would hope we weren't shy in coming forward and calling it out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Leave LJ out of it, He's not responsible for transfers

MA should put his big boy pants on and do it

I don’t believe that at all, he is the manager/coach that has to decide on the tactics used, he would name players he would want to fit into the system he wants to use. He is bound to be hands on with the deals. 

Infact if he wasn’t I would be extremely concerned that he’s not doing his job properly. 

I would expect him to be talking to players and their agents, after all he is the voice and face that these players will have to look/ listen to. A player would want to speak to a manager to find out what he’s all about before signing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spudski said:

That's how I also see it...would love them to give a little insight to certain aspects that were either rumoured or reported on though...for example Charlie Austin.

More than happy with afobe over austin

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spudski said:

Funny how we as fans see it...I think everythingturned out right in the window in the end. Would rather have Adobe over Nketiah as he's proven and we need an experienced head.

Can’t have everything. Not getting a centre half is a bit concerning . 

Don't understand letting pack leave when we have two new midfielders that’s never kicked a ball in English football . Although it’s very good money for Marlon . Just think it’s a strange decision .

Very happy though , who’d of thought we’d be signing players from Monaco and Benfica  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Can’t have everything. Not getting a centre half is a bit concerning . 

Don't understand letting pack leave when we have two new midfielders that’s never kicked a ball in English football . Although it’s very good money for Marlon . Just think it’s a strange decision .

Very happy though , who’d of thought we’d be signing players from Monaco and Benfica  

This is why I'd like to know the thinking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit depressed yesterday, far more optimistic this morning. Then journey home from work. 3 hours stuck in pitch black railway tunnel before rescued by emergency services- wooden ladder job, 1 by 1 , then half mile walk in tunnel. Now holed up in London Premier Inn. May realistically miss tomorrow’s game, but not as gutting as not being home with wife, as it’s our silver wedding! Not gonna worry about lack of a Webster replacement until next week.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spudski said:

Exciting times...

Hope so 🤞

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

It seems (based on heresay in fairness) that his reps did not even have the decency to tell us he was not going to turn up for his medical, so not holding my breath.

Suspect it happens far more than we ever hear about, CE. Normal practice

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

I don’t believe that at all, he is the manager/coach that has to decide on the tactics used, he would name players he would want to fit into the system he wants to use. He is bound to be hands on with the deals. 

Infact if he wasn’t I would be extremely concerned that he’s not doing his job properly. 

I would expect him to be talking to players and their agents, after all he is the voice and face that these players will have to look/ listen to. A player would want to speak to a manager to find out what he’s all about before signing. 

Missing the point here, Bill. LJ will certainly have an input, of course he will. But he can't explain the ins and outs of why a particular deal didn't happen, he really wouldn't be doing his job then

MA is the person doing the sums, and let's not kid ourselves this is what 99% of it all boils down to. Who will pay the most. LJ will (should) be concentrating on the next game more than the maths

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spudski said:

....and bearing in mind everyone at the Club is probably focusing on tomorrow's game...however...are we likely to get an in-depth post mortem interview with LJ and MA as to how the transfer window panned out...the details...Nketiah etc, etc etc.?

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere...

You won't get anything meaningful out of MA. He'll do his usual saying a lot without saying anything. LJ more likely to blab as Warnock did today by firmly laying the blame for Reid's departure at the door of his agent. 

MA is a master though, won't criticise in public unless it's really warranted. All we'll get from him is positive spin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Simon79 said:

I would imagine so. But a somewhat watered down version. As calling out club A or player B has no real benefit, other than to close a potential line in the future. More interested in the players we have signed, than lost out to. So an in-depth chat on the scouting etc on them would be good. COYR 

Spot On

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spudski said:

Funny how we as fans see it...I think everythingturned out right in the window in the end. Would rather have Adobe over Nketiah as he's proven and we need an experienced head.

Very True... Afobe has a point to prove and doubters to shut up so this could really work in our favour 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Nketiah debacle obviously wasn’t BCFC’s fault and it skewed everything else at the last minute. It’s hard to know whether Arsenal or the player led us up the garden path over the last few months, but it may well be that the Leeds interest genuinely emerged only at the end, and objectively you can’t blame them for making that choice. It all feels a bit dishonourable, but which of us, advising the player, would objectively have done any different? Their need was genuine after Roofe left, meaning Nketiah could be first choice. Ironically Nketiah also made himself look more desirable in the last few weeks. 

Our Plan B worked, even if it does look less glamorous right now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole last couple of days of the transfer window was doing my head In at work as I’m sure was the same for many on here!! Now things have settled I’m upbeat with the signings made I just hope that the Management/Coaches implement their plan and tactics fast into the team because the season could be over before we know it if this sudden new look team doesn’t gel fast.....it’s almost like LJ has excepted it hasn’t worked out with his previous signings and he is starting again..Big Risk though and little time to make it work...last week I was thinking a couple of additions and we could make the playoffs, now I’d be happy finishing in the top half! Important season for LJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The Nketiah debacle obviously wasn’t BCFC’s fault and it skewed everything else at the last minute. It’s hard to know whether Arsenal or the player led us up the garden path over the last few months, but it may well be that the Leeds interest genuinely emerged only at the end, and objectively you can’t blame them for making that choice. It all feels a bit dishonourable, but which of us, advising the player, would objectively have done any different? Their need was genuine after Roofe left, meaning Nketiah could be first choice. Ironically Nketiah also made himself look more desirable in the last few weeks. 

Our Plan B worked, even if it does look less glamorous right now.

Strong post. And don't forget Arsenal have to look after themselves. They clearly weren't willing to let Nketiah go until they had a striker lined up and then once they did were able to wait until the last day of the window to find the best possible club for young Edward. 

Difficult for us to criticise the decision to send him to Leeds given likelihood of promotion and the Bielsa factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst we are focussing on Afobe to knock the goals in....our real concentration should be on the new boys in the midfield engine room. They will play a vital role as they will influence games, control games and ease any pressure on the defence whilst creating opportunities for the strikers. These boys need to step up in these areas where our previous players have let us down. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, swanker said:

If we win and Afobe scores everyone will forget about what supposedly went wrong in the transfer window. 

I’m hoping for 3 points tomorrow and some optimism  for the rest of the season. 

Its already forgotten as is the Arsenal youngster... Incredible transfer window IMO... lets get behind LJ and the boys now

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Can’t have everything. Not getting a centre half is a bit concerning . 

Don't understand letting pack leave when we have two new midfielders that’s never kicked a ball in English football . Although it’s very good money for Marlon . Just think it’s a strange decision .

Very happy though , who’d of thought we’d be signing players from Monaco and Benfica  

Thing is Stevie replacing a top player like Webster would be nigh on impossible. The guy is the best CB I’ve ever seen in a City shirt in over 50 years.Classy CBs like him are few and far between. 

That said, I saw enough from TM against Leeds to see him as likely replacement for AW. Yeah, he’s young and inexperienced at Championship level but with games under his belt he’ll undoubtedly improve and who knows maybe he’ll become the next AW.

 

 

CBs like him are very rare.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Whilst we are focussing on Afobe to knock the goals in....our real concentration should be on the new boys in the midfield engine room. They will play a vital role as they will influence games, control games and ease any pressure on the defence whilst creating opportunities for the strikers. These boys need to step up in these areas where our previous players have let us down. 

They can't do much worse than the ponderous Pack of late and the inconsistent Pato.... Can they? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spudski said:

Funny how we as fans see it...I think everythingturned out right in the window in the end. Would rather have Adobe over Nketiah as he's proven and we need an experienced head.

How does this square with any form of wider transfer strategy that complements  our intended 19/20 style of play ? How is a direct striker who loves the channels like Afobe,  going to fit into the same style of play as a fox in the box line Nkheita ?

Afobe, was at least, our 3rd choice striker and probably a lot further down the pecking order than that. In all honesty you or I could have picked up the phone and signed him at 5pm yesterday. Stoke wanted shot of him and there were literally no other takers. There was no skill or strategy in his signing - plus no time to negotiate on salary, so Pack and Patterson were unceremoniously booted out the door to make head room.

What concerns me most is that this is so out of character for MA. The management of the window was fantastic up to this point. Am really excited about the Benfica RB and the new lads in midfield and totally get that strategy, as all should increase in value and Negy should have taken a lot of stress off, rather than replaced Pack.

Not replacing Webster at all  is very weird, as surely we knew that was always a domino that could fall? Moore, Wright and Baker can all do a job if fit, but is that enough for top 6 ? Most worryingly we don’t have any real LB cover for JD.  Is Rowe really going to fit into that  system ?

It all smells like SL refused to sanction the salary required for a top half champ striker and possibly another CB.

Not necessarily Steve’s fault if he was told by MA we could land one for circa £25k per week and the market then moved. Either way I think this collective failure could have massively set us back. There was a reason no one else wanted Afobe

If it hasn’t, and as we all hope, Afobe is a beast for us - then it’s going to be due to accident rather than design...

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Strong post. And don't forget Arsenal have to look after themselves. They clearly weren't willing to let Nketiah go until they had a striker lined up and then once they did were able to wait until the last day of the window to find the best possible club for young Edward. 

Difficult for us to criticise the decision to send him to Leeds given likelihood of promotion and the Bielsa factor.

And this is why we need to know if  there was  a back up plan . If there was , then why not move on from Eddie by a certain date to give us time to get it over the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Thing is Stevie replacing a top player like Webster would be nigh on impossible. The guy is the best CB I’ve ever seen in a City shirt in over 50 years.Classy CBs like him are few and far between. 

That said, I saw enough from TM against Leeds to see him as likely replacement for AW. Yeah, he’s young and inexperienced at Championship level but with games under his belt he’ll undoubtedly improve and who knows maybe he’ll become the next AW.

 

 

CBs like him are very rare.

I didn’t say someone as good or better but a replacement that’s good enough to contribute to a promotion push.

LJ said last season , he wouldn’t sell flint until we had Webster . This summer there was plenty of interest in Webster . Therefore why didn’t we get a replacement in before Webster left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I didn’t say someone as good or better but a replacement that’s good enough to contribute to a promotion push.

LJ said last season , he wouldn’t sell flint until we had Webster . This summer there was plenty of interest in Webster . Therefore why didn’t we get a replacement in before Webster left. 

I think LJ has faith in TM. Plus City have Baker and Wright who are capable at CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Strong post. And don't forget Arsenal have to look after themselves. They clearly weren't willing to let Nketiah go until they had a striker lined up and then once they did were able to wait until the last day of the window to find the best possible club for young Edward. 

Difficult for us to criticise the decision to send him to Leeds given likelihood of promotion and the Bielsa factor.

I don't think you can argue with those facts, however I'm more interested in whether it was true that he just didn't turn up for his medical with no notification. If so...that says a lot about him as a person. By all means change your mind, but do the right thing, especially if a Club have spent time courting you. That sort of mud sticks and he's been badly advised if true. What goes around....

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure we have any right to know why player x or player y turned us down, or that it in anyway helps the players we have got, to air this in public.

Do you really want the club coming out with statements like "Nketiah said Leeds are better", "player X said we are shit", "wanted to get a player to replace Y but couldn't find one", "player Z laughed and said we had bugger all chance of promotion", or "yes Afobe was 7th choice but amazingly said yes" etc??

There is a reason why you wont hear your boss at work talk about the candidates that got away.

No, I would rather the club simply share Nketiah's personal address and contact details. That would help me to feel a lot better. Has anyone got a shoebox I could have?

Edited by Mad Cyril
Schoolboy spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think LJ has faith in TM. Plus City have Baker and Wright who are capable at CB.

He showed last week he’s not ready yet. You were shown the stats on this RR. I would genuinely love to be proved wrong and he steps up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I like the signing the more I think about it. If we can get the Wolves version back then we've hit the jackpot

Only 26 as well, would have had him 2 or 3 years older than that

One of his backside tomorrow would be lovely

If he’s fit, focused and on form - Afobe could turn out to be the best striker we’ve had in modern times. 

Or he could do a “Stern John”..! 

I’m hopeful he’s going to be what we’ve been missing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't think you can argue with those facts, however I'm more interested in whether it was true that he just didn't turn up for his medical with no notification. If so...that says a lot about him as a person. By all means change your mind, but do the right thing, especially if a Club have spent time courting you. That sort of mud sticks and he's been badly advised if true. What goes around....

If him not turning up for a medical without informing anyone is true then that reflects badly on him but also says a great deal about how Bristol City are perceived outside of our region.

Im sure some footballers still see Bristol as a footballing backwater and that we’re a Micky Mouse outfit and see signing for us as a step down in standard.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, red'tili'mdead said:

How does this square with any form of wider transfer strategy that complements  our intended 19/20 style of play ? How is a direct striker who loves the channels like Afobe,  going to fit into the same style of play as a fox in the box line Nkheita ?

Afobe, was at least, our 3rd choice striker and probably a lot further down the pecking order than that. In all honesty you or I could have picked up the phone and signed him at 5pm yesterday. Stoke wanted shot of him and there were literally no other takers. There was no skill or strategy in his signing - plus no time to negotiate on salary, so Pack and Patterson were unceremoniously booted out the door to make head room.

What concerns me most is that this is so out of character for MA. The management of the window was fantastic up to this point. Am really excited about the Benfica RB and the new lads in midfield and totally get that strategy, as all should increase in value and Negy should have taken a lot of stress off, rather than replaced Pack.

Not replacing Webster at all  is very weird, as surely we knew that was always a domino that could fall? Moore, Wright and Baker can all do a job if fit, but is that enough for top 6 ? Most worryingly we don’t have any real LB cover for JD.  Is Rowe really going to fit into that  system ?

It all smells like SL refused to sanction the salary required for a top half champ striker and possibly another CB.

Not necessarily Steve’s fault if he was told by MA we could land one for circa £25k per week and the market then moved. Either way I think this collective failure could have massively set us back. There was a reason no one else wanted Afobe

If it hasn’t, and as we all hope, Afobe is a beast for us - then it’s going to be due to accident rather than design...

 

 

 

 

 

Hector at Chelsea was available for £5m. Why didn't we do that deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He showed last week he’s not ready yet. You were shown the stats on this RR. I would genuinely love to be proved wrong and he steps up. 

For his first showing as Webster's replacement, Moore could not have had a tougher baptism than on Sunday

We could have paid £12m for a central defender to replace Webster and he might well have looked no better than Moore did against Leeds. It wasn't that Moore played badly but more that our midfield weren't at the races, surrendered the centre of the park and gave the defence no protection. Also Leeds were pretty damn good and will run plenty of teams ragged this season.

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

If he’s fit, focused and on form - Afobe could turn out to be the best striker we’ve had in modern times. 

Or he could do a “Stern John”..! 

I’m hopeful he’s going to be what we’ve been missing. 

Yeah, this.is either going to be wonderful or it's going to stink the place out

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If him not turning up for a medical without informing anyone is true then that reflects badly on him but also says a great deal about how Bristol City are perceived outside of our region.

Im sure some footballers still see Bristol as a footballing backwater and that we’re a Micky Mouse outfit and see signing for us as a step down in standard.

Said the same to a mate about how Bristol is perceived. Get someone a bit older who has been around a bit, Kalas, couldn't wait to get back and settle down here. A young lad like Nketiah, he doesn't want that. I think Bristol may surprise him on that front though

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

Hector at Chelsea was available for £5m. Why didn't we do that deal?

I read that Hector was set in a move to Wednesday. Don't know if it actually happened though?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...