IGNORED

Afobe and Diedhiou

Lez

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That won’t happen or could it ?.Not sure he’s known his best starting eleven for the past 2 years so should imagine he’s scratching his head right now now pack and pato have gone

And finished higher each of those years so know what he’s doing 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Be interesting wouldn’t it!

Have we got a midfield to go 442 (4121 diamond) or 4222 (ala West Brom (h)) now?

Nagy and Brownhill as a CM pairing? Nagy and Walsh? Smith (once finally fit) and Nagy. Massengo and Nagy?

Not having seen Nagy and Massengo play it's hard to say bet yeh we can probably put together a competent midfield 4.

Bentley

wright kalas baker 

pereira brownhill nagy dasilva

szmodics

big dave. New big dave. 

Pace on the flanks. solid in the middle. Busy bee behind two powerhouses up front.

( and then lump it ala last sunday?! Not the weather for long hoofball today ).

Lets face it none of us know and we have far too many players! So it could be any shape and about 6 different players to my lot above!?

13 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Nagy and Brownhill as a CM pairing? Nagy and Walsh? Smith (once finally fit) and Nagy. Massengo and Nagy?

Not having seen Nagy and Massengo play it's hard to say bet yeh we can probably put together a competent midfield 4.

Nagy and Messengo. The new Xavi & Iniesta ?

38 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Or 3-5-2.

Or more likely 4-1-3-2

352....could see Pereira and Dasilva enjoying that, but we have a huge amount of midfielders / widemen to try to accommodate into a 3.  Would question recruitment if so....but it is a formation I can see us using on occasion.

4132....with a narrow 3.....looks like Football Manager But could be the formation we evolve to.  Nagy as the 1 then Brownhill | Palmer | Szmodics in front.  It leaves Eliasson and O’Dowda out....and Weimann too.

Think we might be a bit 4141/4411 for a few games as LJ gets the balance.

I can’t pick a side at the mo’....probably over-thinking it.

Would love to see the Fammy-Benny combo work. It has more chance now if the midfield upgrades work.

I don’t think LJ has trusted his midfield, except when Korey’s there, for a long time. That’s why he has stuck with with one up front. Maybe the Leeds game was the final straw for the old midfield, he saw it was still crap and the big problem? If so, fair play as they got onto it quickly. 

Now it’s well and truly fingers crossed time. As others have said, all these changes may have scuppered anything too exciting happening this season. 

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Rather have Afobe and Weimann up top together.

Afobe played his best football alongside Dicko. Think of Dicko as an upgraded version of Agard, a willing runner who does lots of hard work but chips in with goals. 

I think Afobe could thrive alongside either Diedhiou or Weimann. Diedhiou as a more typical targetman in a Heskey type mould, Weimann playing more that Dicko role. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Afobe played his best football alongside Dicko. Think of Dicko as an upgraded version of Agard, a willing runner who does lots of hard work but chips in with goals. 

I think Afobe could thrive alongside either Diedhiou or Weimann. Diedhiou as a more typical targetman in a Heskey type mould, Weimann playing more that Dicko role. 

That is exactly where I was going with it honestly, I think Weimann is practically built to partner him. 

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

That is exactly where I was going with it honestly, I think Weimann is practically built to partner him. 

Afobe made runs today that Diedhiou doesn’t, hence Palmer’s passing option....they weren’t obvious passes, nor easy passes either.  All 3 passes the receiver didn’t have to break stride.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Afobe made runs today that Diedhiou doesn’t, hence Palmer’s passing option....they weren’t obvious passes, nor easy passes either.  All 3 passes the receiver didn’t have to break stride.

With people like Palmer, Weimann and perhaps Liam Walsh too - I've wondered if their football brains operate at a more advanced level than the majority of our squad. Now Afobe is here, perhaps he can be the player to capitalise on that. 

I am a fan of Diedhiou, but he's never going to make many incisive runs behind the defence. It's not his game and not a strength of his. 

Afobe has already said how he thrives off a particular sort of service. He did really well alongside Dicko when they had Bakary Sako feeding the pair of them ala Palmer.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Imagine I'll get frowned upon by the wisdom of the OTIB masses but I think having Afobe in the side will make people realise Diedhiou's limitations in a major way. Very astute observation though Dave and you're absolutely right. It was patently clear last season that we had a striker who was on a different wavelength to everyone else in the side (Weimann). Having a partner making runs of similar intelligence, and a more technically proficient midfield with undoubted qualities when it comes to vision is a huge deal. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Like the idea of Afobe and Weimann combination. Not saying Afobe and Diedhiou as a backup or a Plan B but technically, tactically- movement wise- Afobe and Weimann could have a lot to offer!

....and Semenyo.

Think Taylor might be off on loan.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting comment from the Brum Manager that on one of those 1 v 1’s he thought Afobe’s movement completely lost their Centre Half which is promising, especially as Palmer has the ability to pick him out.

I'd try something like this:

Brownhill  Nagy

Eliasson Palmer. Semenyo

Afobe

Or if Massengo is ready then maybe:

Massengo Nagy

Brownhill. Palmer. Eliasson

Afobe

Of course we also have Weimann and Szmodics. I thought Szmodics looked very promising in preseason. Good options there. Not so keen on Fam and Afobe.

Think Afobe coming in is great for Fam. 

Ever since we signed him he's been the focal point of the attack (no wonder at 5 mil) but competition never hurts. 

Thought he looked more lively when he came on today than he has for a good while. 

Would like to see us try them together

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Imagine I'll get frowned upon by the wisdom of the OTIB masses but I think having Afobe in the side will make people realise Diedhiou's limitations in a major way. Very astute observation though Dave and you're absolutely right. It was patently clear last season that we had a striker who was on a different wavelength to everyone else in the side (Weimann). Having a partner making runs of similar intelligence, and a more technically proficient midfield with undoubted qualities when it comes to vision is a huge deal. 

Definitely agree to a point but I think you could also flip that and say I think with Afobe in the side With Diedhiou you'll see his full game. 

Archived