IGNORED

Birmingham City v Bristol City Match Day 2

Septic Peg

18 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

It’s not hard to look up and pass the ball to one of the CMs so they can dictate the play. I don’t get it.

Afobe plays on the shoulder of the defender and likes the ball in behind, yet we persisted to lump it up to his head. 

Totally agree, and if Hagy is the player we think, and Massengo come to that, it will be easier for the CB's to play the ball out. I just think some people expect us to conjure up another Webster like there is a conveyor belt, proper footballing CB's are harder to come by.

33 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Radio Bristol interview. Asked if he was still in the market for free agents. Also mentioned too many balls kicked long from the back. Baker & Wright really not good enough for where we want to go, in my opinion.

We're going into the 'out of contract' market then I guess. Best start seeing who's available I suppose or is he talking about January? 

Quite concerning that we're on about replacing a £20M+ defender with a freebie though. 

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

People who are watching go on that thread to give an opinion about it to people not there though don’t they? That’s what I do anyway.  Everyone sees what they want though.  I sent a WhatsApp message to a group last night saying Norwich could cause Liverpool problems and apparently that means I said they would win!  

I’ve said today that Afobe debut was a bit of nightmare as he missed two clean throughs. Apparently that means I think he was awful. Other than the misses he was good. 

I said Palmer was anonymous because he was. He then stopped being anonymous and wet posters on here jump straight on the post!  It’s all a bit point scorey for a few it seems 

I think people appreciate the posts from people who are there.....or most including me do.

It’s people who aren’t there whingeing like a kid who’s just had his lolly taken off him and insulting the team that get me... especially when the people who are there are telling me that we didn’t play that badly overall.

With four players on debut, away from home to that has to be a good point.

Hopefully Taylor Moore has a stormer at QPR and then starts Saturday. Johnson has said tonight he needs a ball carrying center back, well unless he can conjure up some free agent then Moore is all we have, he has to have some faith.

Great to see Palmer get 90mins not dragged off when we go behind.

All in all we have to be positive when Nagy gets right up to speed he's going to be a monster in games for us.

We might have a slow start but when we get up to speed we might have a bit of a side here.

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We're going into the 'out of contract' market then I guess. Best start seeing who's available I suppose or is he talking about January? 

Quite concerning that we're on about replacing a £20M+ defender with a freebie though. 

Still think we should have tried a £4m bid for Lyle Taylor, Brentford had a £3.5m bid rejected as too low (not that he wasn’t for sale) and  money + maybe Matty could have swung it for us.

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think people appreciate the posts from people who are there.....or most including me do.

It’s people who aren’t there whingeing like a kid who’s just had his lolly taken off him and insulting the team that get me... especially when the people who are there are telling me that we didn’t play that badly overall.

Rest assured that we played a lot better than 'not that badly'. That was a perfectly respectable away performance that silenced their crowd and left me feeling we should and could have had all 3 points. And to produce that with  four debutants was remarkable. Something to build on. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No player in the world could have played that pass with greater perfection than Palmer did, and the vast majority wouldn't even have considered it in the first place.

Fantastic awareness, top class execution.  Absolutely top - notch. :clap:

Yep. If De Bruyne, Eriksen, Pogba etc play that pass then it'd be getting drooled over on Sky/MOTD for hours.

First hour was like watching statues, no movement whatsoever and then resorting to hoofing it.

Woke up once they went in front, Baker should have been quicker to close down the cross after it fell but fair play Brum they'll get a few of those goals with Jutkiewicz.

I thought Palmer was silent apart from the 3 through balls, needed him to drop further wide and support the full backs more whilst bringing the ball comes forward. It went to the wide area and just came back to Baker/Wright. Still showed his qualities on the ball, just want to see a bit more off the ball.

Afobe wasteful but atleast its another outlet to our play. Like him and Fam up front, would certainly cause some problems.

Rowe was excellent, certainly a little tackle-hungry but he really pushed us on. Good finish too. 

Nagy moved the ball quick left to right, should have scored too! Can see why he only has two career goals but thought he was clever.

Some positives towards the end but really need to have a bit more movement once we get into the middle of the pitch and approaching final third, really dont want to have to concede to start having a go.

Hopefully some of the fringe boys get the QPR game, want to see Szmodics given an opportunity.

48 minutes ago, RedDave said:

People who are watching go on that thread to give an opinion about it to people not there though don’t they? That’s what I do anyway.  Everyone sees what they want though.  I sent a WhatsApp message to a group last night saying Norwich could cause Liverpool problems and apparently that means I said they would win!  

I’ve said today that Afobe debut was a bit of nightmare as he missed two clean throughs. Apparently that means I think he was awful. Other than the misses he was good. 

I said Palmer was anonymous because he was. He then stopped being anonymous and wet posters on here jump straight on the post!  It’s all a bit point scorey for a few it seems 

You're having a bit of a Weston Super

It's a joke, don't bite  I like you

1 hour ago, 97Red said:

On our way back now, albeit stuck in traffic! I thought Nagy, Rowe and KP were are standout performers. We knocked the ball around fairly well at times, without ever really getting a decent tempo going. More to come for sure.

Fantastic support in the away end, and even though Afobe did miss two clear cut chances, the main thing is that we're finding him and giving him the service he needs. Afobe will come good, I have no doubt of that. Take a point, and bring on QPR!

Good to hear. Annoyingly though, each time I read the initials KP on here I automatically get Kevin Pietersen in mind. Then I think "no, no not him, the guy in that 'shag my wife' song". At which point I have to sing the first line of the song in my head to be clear who we're talking about. By which time I've usually forgotten what the hell I was reading. 

Posters, please help me out here and refer to players by their full names! 

My view, from my seat in erm, Amsterdam. ;)

Bentley didn't have so much to do however he made a worldy save in the second half.

Nagy was superb. Exactly what @Hunsupport told us to expect, but better. So much of an upgrade on what Marlon has produced for the last six months.

Pereira did some things well and some things less well but defensively, he's better than Hunt.

Baker played well defensively but his distribution was poor.

Bailey Wright looked, to me to be a weak link. Let's hope it was rustiness but I fear that the Championship may have moved on but he hasn't.

Kalas still doesn't look quite as assured as he was last season. Needs to settle with whoever is to be his regular partner.

Rowe played very well and took his goal with aplomb.

Palmer worked hard throughout. His pass for Rowe's goal was simply superb -he's the only player on either side who would have seen it let alone have been able to play it.

Brownhill worked, played well though wasn't outstanding. Seemed to enjoy the extra security of playing alongside Nagy.

Weimann was only ok. His control and touch was second rate.

Afobe had two one-on-one changes to score and should have put at least one away. He gives us something we've lacked -a CF who wants the ball to his feet to run at defenders. I think he will do well for us.

Eliasson was wasteful when he came on.

Diedhiou was more prominent defending in our box than threatening in theirs.

A well-deserved point that I feared, at one time, we wouldn't get. The new signings settled in well and will improve further in the weeks to come. Pleased overall.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Just watched the highlights, hate the far post goals. We went through a spell some time ago where we were very weak in that area, this one I think the crosser should have been closed down better.

As for the other end, I think I have a man crush on Palmer. Said last year I'd love to see him back, defended him last week , I thought he just needed time with LJ and a good pre season. I do still think it will take time for him to contribute fully through 90 minutes, but those 3 through balls were class. At last we have players making runs and someone with the vision and skill to find them. Spot on for pace and accuracy , listening to it I worried about Afobe's finishing, on seeing the chances I'll give him the benefit . Could really get a bucketful if they continue like that.

Why was their biggest player not being marked by Kalas our biggest and best header of the ball?

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Stinks? Certainly a load of bedwetters during the game. 

Arseholes. 

Agreed in a few cases. Nothing wrong with a bit of criticism where warranted but certain posters seem to get off on it, ignoring the facts to make their negative points, and then when we get an equaliser they just disappear only to be right at the forefront again the next time we go a goal down in a game.

One poster called us “litter”....wtf is that all about? If that is how bad you think we are and it upsets you so much follow something else on a Saturday!!

Think, as it was a very new team, you can only really try and take positives from that.

Nagy looks a real talent. Like I have said before - glad Pack is gone and even more pleased to see this boy come in.

Afobe looked dangerous throughout despite missing a couple of sitters. 

Palmer made a number of passes no one else in the team can do to set up chances. 

Bentley looks like a good shot stopper. 

Not so sure on Rowe (well taken goal) and Pereira yet but early days. 

Point probably fair but the better chances were ours I think against poor-ish opposition. Obviously a lot of gelling to do but positive overall. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really sure what you're trying to say - It's nice to draw after being behind and last week's defeat but still is the sort of opposition where I'd really be expecting us to win if we're serious about playoffs or promotion. My opinion on that hasn't changed with today's result.  

Birmingham fans were drooling over their play to-day, very supportive, they were far better than last week when they 'stole' 3 points from Brentford. Any other day we would have won, and there was enough on view to suggest we can do better this season than the last. And yet you are bemoaning that we only drew and your opinion hasn't changed that we will fail, AFTER TWO GAMES, and with a flush of new players, good God you speak for so many on here. 

It is very much a Bristol trait though this type of negative thinking, can you imagine any team in any sport that have 'fans' as negative and damning as Bristol City?   The club have invested heavily in new and talented players, we have the trust of Chelsea in bringing on players, we recruit from top clubs, that is unique for us, and still you and yours have not had their heads turned.

3 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My view, from my seat in erm, Amsterdam. ;)

Bentley didn't have so much to do however he made a worldy save in the second half.

Nagy was superb. Exactly what @Hunsupport told us to expect, but better. So much of an upgrade on what Marlon has produced for the last six months.

Pereira did some things well and some things less well but defensively, he's better than Hunt.

Baker played well defensively but his distribution was poor.

Bailey Wright looked, to me to be a weak link. Let's hope it was rustiness but I fear that the Championship may have moved on but he hasn't.

Kalas still doesn't look quite as assured as he was last season. Needs to settle with whoever is to be his regular partner.

Rowe played very well and took his goal with aplomb.

Palmer worked hard throughout. His pass for Rowe's goal was simply superb -he's the only player on either side who would have seen it let alone have been able to play it.

Brownhill worked, played well though wasn't outstanding. Seemed to enjoy the extra security of playing alongside Nagy.

Weimann was only ok. His control and touch was second rate.

Afobe had two one-on-one changes to score and should have put at least one away. He gives us something we've lacked -a CF who wants the ball to his feet to run at defenders. I think he will do well for us.

Eliasson was wasteful when he came on.

Diedhiou was more prominent defending in our box than threatening in theirs.

A well-deserved point that I feared, at one time, we wouldn't get. The new signings settled in well and will improve further in the weeks to come. Pleased overall.

Well from my seat in errr... Paris... I agree with your points there.

I feel like we dominated without even playing very well. In fact it was like watching us at Ashton Gate (ie promising, but frustrating).

I must say, I was a Palmer skeptic until today. He wasn't perfect by any means, but to see him working for 90 minutes and actually tracking back and taking defensive duties seriously was really encouraging. I now believe in him and can fully appreciate his natural flair on the ball.

But... I'm gradually going from Brownhill fan to a skeptic. Im starting to wonder if he's part of the problem, not the solution. If Massengo is great and takes his spot... well, c'est la vie...

I really didn't know what to expect today post Marlon. I couldn't even name the team whilst driving up without starting to contradict myself!

I was pleasantly surprised though! Nagy was intelligent , and kept things simple.

Rowe was solid.

Pereira has pace, made a few mistakes but I think he'll do well when he comes to terms with the league.

Afobe looks exactly what we've needed for a while. Intelligent running, holding up the ball, sharp.

I thought Brownhill revelled in the extra responsibility post Pack.

For me, Kasey Palmer was the difference, great vision, consistently beating his man, tackling and the vision to pick a pass.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Agreed in a few cases. Nothing wrong with a bit of criticism where warranted but certain posters seem to get off on it, ignoring the facts to make their negative points, and then when we get an equaliser they just disappear only to be right at the forefront again the next time we go a goal down in a game.

One poster called us “litter”....wtf is that all about? If that is how bad you think we are and it upsets you so much follow something else on a Saturday!!

Agreed. 

Why don't they just **** off and do something else. 

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Our three centre backs are not play makers someone tell them before it’s too late.

We have game changers in midfield who won’t have any affect on the game if you keep whooshing the ball over their heads .

Break up the attacks and give it to those guys.

Bailey Wright is far from the most talented player but was the man to battle with Jukawiez .

Good enough from the new guys who will get better with familiarity.

Hope Periera is not too badly injured. I thought their player should have had at least a yellow for his shocking challenge. He was nowhere near the ball and was aiming to take our man out .

All in all any point away from home is a good one and we are off the mark for this campaign.

Well done City and the 1600 Reds who made the trip up to Brum.

:clap:

2100 there today .and did you see bailey Wright for their goal  ?

Archived