IGNORED

Ratings v Birmingham (a) 1-1

Davefevs

A very even game, where City probably sculptured the clearer chances.  

Ratings: whole numbers only - 6/10 equals a player having a decent game and earning his corn.  In an even game, ending in a draw, expect most players to be around the 6 mark.

Bentley - 7 - confident display with hands and feet.  One fine save from Jutkiewicz with a strong hand, and good claims under pressure.  Good distribution with feet and quick throws started attacks

Pereira (51) - 5 - injury hit debut, and although flashes of what we can expect with his pace and one great cross that almost got Rowe a goal, I think it was a tough start.  Bit nervous understandably, but no fears from me.

Hunt (39) - 5 - came on for Pablo, and did ok.  Too many crosses hit in too low, and needs to get his body open to pass inside.  Defended decently  enough.

Wright (75) - 6 - tough game defensively v Jutkiewicz and thought he handled him well.  Nothing he could do about goal.  Passing let him down and manoeuvred the ball onto his right foot closing down angles for RWBs.  Stuck to the task until subbed as we chased the game

Diedhiou (15) - no rating - came on as we went for the equaliser.  Didn’t get too involved, one good nod down for Afobe who could t wriggle free.

Kalas - 6 - very steady, kept himself as the spare man, and we never got done down the middle.  Passing to CBs spot on, passing into final third, not quite there today.  Performed the role required.

Baker - 6 - did ok on his return, and generally assured defensively.  Passing amongst defenders and midfield fine, but into forwards (apart from  a couple) quite poor.

Rowe - 7 - forgot that this was his debut too, and marked it with a super, crisp finish from Palmer’s pass, and with a bit more adventure may have got onto Pereira’s Cross.  Generally neat and tidy defensively, was disappointing on the ball, especially crosses.  Showed good energy, and goal shaded his 7/10 from a 6.

Nagy - 7 - impressive debut.  46/49 successful passes, almost got his debut goal too.  Liked what he did as an individual, but more what he did with Brownhill as a partnership.  Tired a bit last 15, but with the switch to a 4, you can see him being a good signing when shielding a back 4.

Brownhill - 7 - my MOTM today, just shading a couple of others.  Thought he looked like to JB I expect, breaking the lines, but also a mature performance too.  Worked nicely with Nagy, rotating their positions, and looked to be on each other’s wavelength.  Will see how this emerges.

Palmer - 7 - 3 passes of quality outlined what Palmer can bring.  3 passes that led to chances without the receiver having to break stride.  Thought he drifted in and out, but when ‘in’ you could see the worry in Brum’s defence.  2 yellows in 2 games, something to look out for.  Worked hard enough, but will need to be careful in our defensive third.

Weimann (75) - 6 - some nice bits on display today, showing the benefit of a partner.  Thought he linked intelligently with Afobe, but didn’t quite come off for him today.

Eliasson (15) - no rating - came on for Weimann and didn’t really get into game.  Did well defensively in front of Hunt though in latter stages.

Afobe - 6 - debut will be all about the two 1-on-1’s not taken, but showed plenty today to suggest he’ll be an asset and score goals.  Good running in channels and defenders not given a free afternoon.  Less effective second half, when for some of it, we were on top.

Happy for any comments / challenges.  For info I watched on Robins.tv.

For Brum, I thought Jutkiewicz was his usual handful, but Crowley pulled their strings.

Nice to see ref Langford not influence the result.

Don’t agree with Brownhill who was wasteful in possession and didn’t do enough for me. 

We looked like a new team, and we need to bed in quickly. 

Nagy looks a good player, Afobe will score if we keep giving him those chances. 

Bailey Wright as usual looks our weak link at the back- id like to see Moore return. 

Was at the match. Can't disagree Dave. Very fair assessment. I watched Nagy and Brownhill's movement - impressively switching roles given they only met  a couple of days ago. Nagy was MOM for me - outstandingly confident performance for a debut.  One observation - Weimann does an immense amount of running off the ball, closing down, chasing lost causes, making himself available. Today it looked as though with Palmer and Afobe around him and noticing him more of that running might pay off. 

2 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Don’t agree with Brownhill who was wasteful in possession and didn’t do enough for me. 

Bailey Wright as usual looks our weak link at the back- id like to see Moore return. 

I can see that - 40/55 successful passes, and he was a bit wasteful in attack especially longer passes (see pic below)....but I thought it was a mature performance, and one where he was constantly involved, something I'm critical of him for being in and out of games.

It was difficult to pick a MOTM, I didn’t think Nagy or Palmer, not Bentley quite deserved it.

No probs though.

B34C1F11-C085-4D8D-94D6-910267C59377.thumb.jpeg.e64fc6c01d965f4519cc1b2834940f1d.jpeg

Disagree with Brownhill, Wright and Baker. All a point off for me as all were so wasteful. Though I do expect we were told to pump those channels with Weimann and Afobe and not much time to train. 

Also harsh on Periera imo who I’d have at a 6 and thought was growing into the game. Rowe was a 6 without the goal but delighted with a very good finish. 

Nagy and Palmer for MOTM for me. 

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A very even game, where City probably sculptured the clearer chances.  

Ratings: whole numbers only - 6/10 equals a player having a decent game and earning his corn.  In an even game, ending in a draw, expect most players to be around the 6 mark.

Bentley - 7 - confident display with hands and feet.  One fine save from Jutkiewicz with a strong hand, and good claims under pressure.  Good distribution with feet and quick throws started attacks

Pereira (51) - 5 - injury hit debut, and although flashes of what we can expect with his pace and one great cross that almost got Rowe a goal, I think it was a tough start.  Bit nervous understandably, but no fears from me.

Hunt (39) - 5 - came on for Pablo, and did ok.  Too many crosses hit in too low, and needs to get his body open to pass inside.  Defended decently  enough.

Wright (75) - 6 - tough game defensively v Jutkiewicz and thought he handled him well.  Nothing he could do about goal.  Passing let him down and manoeuvred the ball onto his right foot closing down angles for RWBs.  Stuck to the task until subbed as we chased the game

Diedhiou (15) - no rating - came on as we went for the equaliser.  Didn’t get too involved, one good nod down for Afobe who could t wriggle free.

Kalas - 6 - very steady, kept himself as the spare man, and we never got done down the middle.  Passing to CBs spot on, passing into final third, not quite there today.  Performed the role required.

Baker - 6 - did ok on his return, and generally assured defensively.  Passing amongst defenders and midfield fine, but into forwards (apart from  a couple) quite poor.

Rowe - 7 - forgot that this was his debut too, and marked it with a super, crisp finish from Palmer’s pass, and with a bit more adventure may have got onto Pereira’s Cross.  Generally neat and tidy defensively, was disappointing on the ball, especially crosses.  Showed good energy, and goal shaded his 7/10 from a 6.

Nagy - 7 - impressive debut.  46/49 successful passes, almost got his debut goal too.  Liked what he did as an individual, but more what he did with Brownhill as a partnership.  Tired a bit last 15, but with the switch to a 4, you can see him being a good signing when shielding a back 4.

Brownhill - 7 - my MOTM today, just shading a couple of others.  Thought he looked like to JB I expect, breaking the lines, but also a mature performance too.  Worked nicely with Nagy, rotating their positions, and looked to be on each other’s wavelength.  Will see how this emerges.

Palmer - 7 - 3 passes of quality outlined what Palmer can bring.  3 passes that led to chances without the receiver having to break stride.  Thought he drifted in and out, but when ‘in’ you could see the worry in Brum’s defence.  2 yellows in 2 games, something to look out for.  Worked hard enough, but will need to be careful in our defensive third.

Weimann (75) - 6 - some nice bits on display today, showing the benefit of a partner.  Thought he linked intelligently with Afobe, but didn’t quite come off for him today.

Eliasson (15) - no rating - came on for Weimann and didn’t really get into game.  Did well defensively in front of Hunt though in latter stages.

Afobe - 6 - debut will be all about the two 1-on-1’s not taken, but showed plenty today to suggest he’ll be an asset and score goals.  Good running in channels and defenders not given a free afternoon.  Less effective second half, when for some of it, we were on top.

Happy for any comments / challenges.  For info I watched on Robins.tv.

For Brum, I thought Jutkiewicz was his usual handful, but Crowley pulled their strings.

Nice to see ref Langford not influence the result.

I'd have scored 1 lower for Wright, Brownhill & Weimann. Would have made Nagy our MoM.

For me we need to go 4-4-2 so can accommodate Eliasson starting. I'd leave out Bailey Wright.

43 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I'd have scored 1 lower for Wright, Brownhill & Weimann. Would have made Nagy our MoM.

For me we need to go 4-4-2 so can accommodate Eliasson starting. I'd leave out Bailey Wright.

I deliberated Baker and Wright as 5’s, but I just shaded them a 6.  Whole numbers for me only!!!

4 minutes ago, RedSA said:

7 for Nagy is criminal Dave! Were you watching on the stream? Maybe missed some of the work he was doing? 9/10 for me 

Yep, on Robinstv....and fully accept that I’ll miss stuff I’d see if I was there.

That is the point of this thread....all views welcome.  I rarely give 9/10 though....quite harsh I am.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I deliberated Baker and Wright as 5’s, but I just shaded them a 6.  Whole numbers for me only!!!

Yep, on Robinstv....and fully accept that I’ll miss stuff I’d see if I was there.

That is the point of this thread....all views welcome.  I rarely give 9/10 though....quite harsh I am.

So am I ;) 

Could not disagree more with some of those ratings.

Hunt only getting a 5 is harsh, as soon as he came on we actually started getting some traction attacking down the right. He also wasn't really troubled defensively.

Nagy and palmer were head and shoulders better than brownhill. Just watch the highlights and pretty much every chance we had was through palmer, plus he put in a shift defensivly keeping shape and tracking a lot. The biggest problem in the middle was no real running to get ahead of the man on the ball and also to provide options which is surely what brownhill should have done and didn't.

Weimann was well below par and ineffective as well, didn't offer much threat and nothing really went for him all game 5 at most.

Wright and baker 6 is probably about fair, but they both did like to lump it a lot if they weren't passing sideways to each other.

Rowe was a tough one to call, positionally he went wondering a lot and nagy did end up in that left back position quite often, but on the ball he was ok and didn't waste possession too much and also when defending he looked ok. But another negative were his set piece deliveries that were awful (although he wasn't the only culprit today).

Agree with crowly being the most noticeable player for brum, he seemed to be involved with a lot going forwards for them.

Nagy a 8 for me if he took the great chance to score would of been a 9. A defensive midfielder with pace and energy just what we been missing and looked like he had all the time in the world to pick a pass, which is always a great sign of a good player.

The way he ran with ball and always picked the correct pass reminded me of a young Fabregas.

22 minutes ago, kit said:

Could not disagree more with some of those ratings.

Hunt only getting a 5 is harsh, as soon as he came on we actually started getting some traction attacking down the right. He also wasn't really troubled defensively.

Nagy and palmer were head and shoulders better than brownhill. Just watch the highlights and pretty much every chance we had was through palmer, plus he put in a shift defensivly keeping shape and tracking a lot. The biggest problem in the middle was no real running to get ahead of the man on the ball and also to provide options which is surely what brownhill should have done and didn't.

Weimann was well below par and ineffective as well, didn't offer much threat and nothing really went for him all game 5 at most.

Wright and baker 6 is probably about fair, but they both did like to lump it a lot if they weren't passing sideways to each other.

Rowe was a tough one to call, positionally he went wondering a lot and nagy did end up in that left back position quite often, but on the ball he was ok and didn't waste possession too much and also when defending he looked ok. But another negative were his set piece deliveries that were awful (although he wasn't the only culprit today).

Agree with crowly being the most noticeable player for brum, he seemed to be involved with a lot going forwards for them.

Absolutely fine.  Feel free to do your own....all about opinions.  Out of interest we’re you at Brum, watching on a stream, or listening to BBC Radio Bristol?  We all get different perspectives and view the game in different ways.

2 minutes ago, That Louie Donowa goal said:

Nagy a 8 for me if he took the great chance to score would of been a 9. A defensive midfielder with pace and energy just what we been missing and looked like he had all the time in the world to pick a pass, which is always a great sign of a good player.

The way he ran with ball and always picked the correct pass reminded me of a young Fabregas.

Funny you say that because from watching Massengo’s highlight reel that’s who I compared him to....we can’t have two Cesc’s in the team ? 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I can see that - 40/55 successful passes, and he was a bit wasteful in attack especially longer passes (see pic below)....but I thought it was a mature performance, and one where he was constantly involved, something I'm critical of him for being in and out of games.

It was difficult to pick a MOTM, I didn’t think Nagy or Palmer, not Bentley quite deserved it.

No probs though.

B34C1F11-C085-4D8D-94D6-910267C59377.thumb.jpeg.e64fc6c01d965f4519cc1b2834940f1d.jpeg

Thanks for this.

I really truly hope that I'm not the only ****** who has no idea about the arrows everywhere other than they look  like my kids homework

I was there today.

Nagy my MOTM.  Never stopped running and always available.  Thought he and Brownhill worked well together.

I'd have give Afobe a 7.  Great movement, ably found by KP for those through balls.  Thought their keeper did well on both to make the save.  Don't think Afobe did too much wrong as on target for both.  In contrast to Fam his  control good, and he was strong and stayed on his feet under a challenge.

KP delivered three passes of brilliance, and retained possession well under pressure.  Had quiet periods though.

A fine performance from basically a new team.  Can't wait to see them develop.

Bentley 7 - Looked comfortable for the  most part, couple of dodgy moments but also a few good saves.

Wright 6 - Steady

Kalas - 7 - Marshalled the back 3 well

Baker 5 - Generally OK but had a few issues positional in the early part of the 2nd half

Pereira- 6 Looked decent and devilish long throw before injury

Rowe 8 - Coped well with change in formation and lack of cover in front of him for last 20mins, took his goal exceptionally well.

Nagy 8- Very bright, quick and covered well defensively 

Brownhill 9 - Looked inventive and full of energy throughout.

Palmer 7 - Very creative although quiet at times, looked better when on the ball deeper and created the goal.

Weimann 5 - Worked hard without really impacting the game

Afobe 7 - Looked a threat throughout trying to get in behind.

Subs

Hunt 6 - Carried on Perieras good work

Eliasson 6 - Few decent crosses but wasteful from set pieces.

Diedhiou 6 - Lack of ability made up for in effort, won his headers for Benik to chase after

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely fine.  Feel free to do your own....all about opinions.  Out of interest we’re you at Brum, watching on a stream, or listening to BBC Radio Bristol?  We all get different perspectives and view the game in different ways.

I was at the game. Indeed it's all about opinions just stating where mine differed...

My ratings are based on listening to commentary on Radio Bristol:

Bentley 6 - would've been 7 had it not been for a mad minute.

Wright 6 - steady if unspectacular, performance. 

Kalas 6 - put in a good shift.

Baker 6 - dependable and unlucky to get yellow card.

Pereira 7 - was just starting to steal the show when he got injured.

Rowe 7 - well taken goal and steady performance.

Nagy 9 - A classy debut nearly topped off by a goal or two,

Brownhill 7 - worked well with Nagy.

Palmer 9 - shares MotM with Nagy. Great through balls especially when we went to a flat back 4.

Weimann 6 - worked well with Afobe as an understanding between the two developed.

Afobe 7 - unsettled the Brum defence all game and was unlucky not to cap an impressive debut with a goal.

Subs 

Hunt 7 - good crossing and defensively sound.

Fammy and Elliason not present long enough to be awarded a mark.

3 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Was at the game today and agree with all of this . 

Archived