IGNORED

COD in the stand

Unan

Any negotiation has tension, I doubt we can prove it’s him being the dick, without insider knowledge. 

Perhaps it’s just a gap between where he thinks he deserves to be & the reality which is he’s shown brilliant spells, unlucky with injury & the rest of the time it’s been average performance. Not bad, but not special enough to earn a spot in a first team week in week out. I still think he has enough brilliance to become a top player though.

So I suspect as many other players start to earn the big bucks at this club, he may be wondering why he’s still one of the lowest paid (I assume he is anyway, given he came here young)

1 hour ago, Jcolebristol said:

Any negotiation has tension, I doubt we can prove it’s him being the dick, without insider knowledge. 

Perhaps it’s just a gap between where he thinks he deserves to be & the reality which is he’s shown brilliant spells, unlucky with injury & the rest of the time it’s been average performance. Not bad, but not special enough to earn a spot in a first team week in week out. I still think he has enough brilliance to become a top player though.

So I suspect as many other players start to earn the big bucks at this club, he may be wondering why he’s still one of the lowest paid (I assume he is anyway, given he came here young)

I’m sorry but your first line and then the rest of your post is rubbish. The club offered him exactly what he wanted, he then backtracked and still hasn’t signed. 

The club are being a lot more ruthless with players now, if he thinks the grass is greener let him and the club can just get another player in, it doesn’t make much difference to the club anymore. 

"We started the negotiations, the negotiations seemed positive, he then came back with what he wanted (through) his representatives. We agreed to that at which point Callum said he wasn't sure”

Seems like people who are upset about him not signing a new deal also think he is crap. So why do they want a player who apparently isn't very good to sign a new deal? 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Seems like people who are upset about him not signing a new deal also think he is crap. So why do they want a player who apparently isn't very good to sign a new deal? 

So we can sell him for a decent fee. 

I got slated by BobBobSuperBob that I didn’t know anything about handle pro players for suggesting that LJ tell him the truth about his actual level, and stating that if he didn’t get sold or sign a new contract, he would be sidelined and only likely to get games with the u23s, and no exposure for getting picked internationally. However with our new acquisitions keen to play and an upgrade on COD, that scenario may now be playing out.

One or more of COD, his agent or his dad see a big money move as the way forward.  The reality is that they have overplayed their hand, and as soon as O’Neill was sacked by Forest, there was no obvious taker for COD. Even him starting last Sunday may have been a way of getting exposure for a sale, but COD was somewhere between anonymous and ineffectual, which probably meant that few if any clubs saw anything worth bidding for, especially given the player’s demands.

I have no issue with good players moving on for increased wages and opportunities but that is a 2-way process in that at least one club actually has to be interested in taking the player. As far as COD is concerned that just does not appear to be the case either in the Championship or above.

The ball is now firmly in COD’s court, but if he had any sense, he should sign the new contract ASAP, assuming it’s still on offer, because there is absolutely no guarantee he will get anything better if he runs down his current contract, especially as this episode will have warned any future clubs what they might expect from the player, his agent and his father. I am not suggesting that COD is refusing to play but   by his actions he has potentially sidelined himself for a long time.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

So we can sell him for a decent fee. 

People saying no one wants him now when his fee should be lower, so why would they want him when his fee would be higher. According to people on here he is crap, or not that good, and no one wants him. Yet they want him to sign a new deal so we can sell him for more, when no one wants him for less.

Rather than being after the money, could it just be he wants regular football?

He has never had much of a run in our team, and more unlikely than ever to get one now. Anyone who is half a footballer might be inclined to seek a new team rather than steal a wage on a bench or in the reserves.

Just wanted to flag an alternative motive....

I don’t feel at all angry about the COD situation but I do think it quite sad. Players have got every right not to sign a contract and let it run down. We benefit on occasion but we lose out when it happens to us. But, in this case, it looks like COD has burned his bridges and limited his options with his performances in the second half of last season.

I don’t want to see him frozen out but we have seven attacking midfield players and wingers at the moment. Of those Palmer and Szmodics are new signings and Weimann and Eliasson have to be ahead of him on merit. I’d be perfectly fine with him forcing his way back in, giving us another year and then moving on at the end of it if he has a better offer. But I just don’t see it at the moment.

It is a shame as I think he has the potential to be a very decent player but he is potentially losing 18 months of his career at a key times simply because he cannot get his attitude and performances right once he wants to move on.

6 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Rather than being after the money, could it just be he wants regular football?

He has never had much of a run in our team, and more unlikely than ever to get one now. Anyone who is half a footballer might be inclined to seek a new team rather than steal a wage on a bench or in the reserves.

Just wanted to flag an alternative motive....

I think we have failed to get the best out of him, so it could well be that for his own development he might feel he can improve more elsewhere. 

Someone on here said O'Neil sees him as a left back. If true then that could well make sense. COD can get lost on the left wing. At left back he would have more space to attack. 

I actually think his best performances for us have mainly been anywhere but the left wing, where he has mainly played.

Central midfield he has always looked very good imo. Right wing he seems to play better as he can drift infield. And even wing back the odd time he has played well.

Apparently Leeds and Fulham were interested and maybe we asked for too much.

People seem to think no one will be interested in January for likely a very cheap price, or by the end of the season. Bound to be interest. Even if it is only other championship clubs.

He wasn't very good last week, but it was a typical O'Dowda performance at home lost on the left wing. Same as much of last season. Didn't look like he was trying any less to me. 

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don’t feel at all angry about the COD situation but I do think it quite sad.

It's very sad. He's basically a kid (and looks and acts like one), he has been badly advised and like most I couldn't care less where he ends up after this contract nonsense, but anyone wishing ill on him or giving him any grief needs to give their head a wobble.

I also saw him in the stand at St. Andrews, initially he was staring longingly at an empty block among the Birmingham fans, I think he was hoping he didn't have to sit with City (but Walsh had already made that decision) so he knows the difficult situation he is in.

It was the same at Wimbledon in pre-season, he looked really awkward even walking past us. This is what bad advice does to you. Thankfully most reacted positively as people always do at away games, and yesterday, as at Wimbledon, some kids high fived him.

At the end of the day his agent or his dad is the mug, they are grown men who got it wrong chasing money. Callum is just a kid trying to play football. The poor lad is terrified of fans. Met him and Brownhill on a train last season and COD is painfully introverted.

Hopefully he commits himself to something (us or a deal elsewhere in January) as he desperately needs some support. If he was a seasoned pro I'd have no problem slagging him off but as it is like the post above I just feel very sorry for him, he's just a kid.

p.s. I think his dad also writes his Wikipedia page which reads like a sales pitch

It's very much a catch 22.

If we've offered him a contract that matched his demands, and he's refused it, then it's obvious he doesn't want to play for the Club.

By offering him that improved contract we obviously still rate him. There is no guarantee that anyone will come in for him if we do and no guarantee that he'll be picked.

So what do the Club do?

I guess it depends on his attitude and what he brings in training...whether he's still professional or sulking.

Whether he's bringing a positive vibe or having a negative effect on others.

We don't know...

Either way...regardless of personality, the Club can't have sentiment.

We make decisions in life and learn from them.

27 minutes ago, Hartcliffe red said:

Some posters sound like they would like to batter the poor lad

Yeah, there always seems to be so much vitriol aimed at players who simply don't want to extend their contract with the club.  I just don't get it, it is their right to choose.

And all the bollocks about him not putting in effort over the last few months, to me that's just the way he plays the game - he's always looked like a lazy player.  Nothing new there.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

It's very sad. He's basically a kid (and looks and acts like one), he has been badly advised and like most I couldn't care less where he ends up after this contract nonsense, but anyone wishing ill on him or giving him any grief needs to give their head a wobble.

I also saw him in the stand at St. Andrews, initially he was staring longingly at an empty block among the Birmingham fans, I think he was hoping he didn't have to sit with City (but Walsh had already made that decision) so he knows the difficult situation he is in.

It was the same at Wimbledon in pre-season, he looked really awkward even walking past us. This is what bad advice does to you. Thankfully most reacted positively as people always do at away games, and yesterday, as at Wimbledon, some kids high fived him.

At the end of the day his agent or his dad is the mug, they are grown men who got it wrong chasing money. Callum is just a kid trying to play football. The poor lad is terrified of fans. Met him and Brownhill on a train last season and COD is painfully introverted.

Hopefully he commits himself to something (us or a deal elsewhere in January) as he desperately needs some support. If he was a seasoned pro I'd have no problem slagging him off but as it is like the post above I just feel very sorry for him, he's just a kid.

p.s. I think his dad also writes his Wikipedia page which reads like a sales pitch

After reading your comment about the Wiki page I went and read it for myself. 

Reading it does sound like a sales pitch. Bit I found amusing was the comment regarding undisclosed fee but then told what it was?

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

People saying no one wants him now when his fee should be lower, so why would they want him when his fee would be higher. According to people on here he is crap, or not that good, and no one wants him. Yet they want him to sign a new deal so we can sell him for more, when no one wants him for less.

I don’t think people on here think he’s crap....most people in here think he’s decent, but not as good as he thinks he is, or thinks he is worth.  Playing for RoI has increased his profile, and had MON stayed at Forest, perhaps he would’ve gone there....but would’ve been interesting to see if they’d have paid £8m (rumoured to be the asking price when Fulham were asking...allegedly).  Injuries haven’t helped him, but he’s yet to have a prolonged run as a starter, and although I think he’d play most weeks under LJ, he’s not a ‘one of the first names on the teamsheet’ type player....yet.

Of course as City fans we would rather he signs a deal than run his contract down...and go for zero next summer.

Of course as City fans we would rather he signs a deal to give us protection for any club that might come along in January.

As a club we have invested in his development, and the model for players like Callum is to not let them walk for nothing.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think we have failed to get the best out of him, so it could well be that for his own development he might feel he can improve more elsewhere. 

Someone on here said O'Neil sees him as a left back. If true then that could well make sense. COD can get lost on the left wing. At left back he would have more space to attack. 

I actually think his best performances for us have mainly been anywhere but the left wing, where he has mainly played.

Central midfield he has always looked very good imo. Right wing he seems to play better as he can drift infield. And even wing back the odd time he has played well.

Apparently Leeds and Fulham were interested and maybe we asked for too much.

People seem to think no one will be interested in January for likely a very cheap price, or by the end of the season. Bound to be interest. Even if it is only other championship clubs.

He wasn't very good last week, but it was a typical O'Dowda performance at home lost on the left wing. Same as much of last season. Didn't look like he was trying any less to me. 

Taking each para above in turn:

1. Why do you feel we failed to get the best out of him?  He’s improved here from the raw player who arrived in 16/17.

2. I don’t understand the link between getting lost at LW and getting more space to attack as a LB?  What about defensive duties of a LB

3. Do you mean on the RW....because he’s hardly played anywhere other than the wings and not many for the whole 90 / from the start.

4. See 3.

5. Maybe we did, that’s our model / prerogative and suggests if his agent has touted him, he’s not done his due diligence in terms of what value City place on him.

6. Of course there will be interest in January, but at the right price.  The right price won’t be £8m, but there are so many variables. If LJ freezes him out, and he’s not playing Callum’s own bargaining position will be diminished too.  Other clubs may see him as a contract rebel.  Any due diligence is gonna throw up Oxford history too.

7. So as a LW (his major position) are you saying he’s not very good because he gets lost there?  That’s hardly a ringing endorsement.  I thought he was going through the motions.

I don’t like that LJ has discussed his contract stuff publicly, but it is nice to know.  Would be good if Callum gave his side, if LJ is BSing.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think people on here think he’s crap....most people in here think he’s decent, but not as good as he thinks he is, or thinks he is worth.  Playing for RoI has increased his profile, and had MON stayed at Forest, perhaps he would’ve gone there....but would’ve been interesting to see if they’d have paid £8m (rumoured to be the asking price when Fulham were asking...allegedly).  Injuries haven’t helped him, but he’s yet to have a prolonged run as a starter, and although I think he’d play most weeks under LJ, he’s not a ‘one of the first names on the teamsheet’ type player....yet.

Of course as City fans we would rather he signs a deal than run his contract down...and go for zero next summer.

Of course as City fans we would rather he signs a deal to give us protection for any club that might come along in January.

As a club we have invested in his development, and the model for players like Callum is to not let them walk for nothing.

Taking each para above in turn:

1. Why do you feel we failed to get the best out of him?  He’s improved here from the raw player who arrived in 16/17.

2. I don’t understand the link between getting lost at LW and getting more space to attack as a LB?  What about defensive duties of a LB

3. Do you mean on the RW....because he’s hardly played anywhere other than the wings and not many for the whole 90 / from the start.

4. See 3.

5. Maybe we did, that’s our model / prerogative and suggests if his agent has touted him, he’s not done his due diligence in terms of what value City place on him.

6. Of course there will be interest in January, but at the right price.  The right price won’t be £8m, but there are so many variables. If LJ freezes him out, and he’s not playing Callum’s own bargaining position will be diminished too.  Other clubs may see him as a contract rebel.  Any due diligence is gonna throw up Oxford history too.

7. So as a LW (his major position) are you saying he’s not very good because he gets lost there?  That’s hardly a ringing endorsement.  I thought he was going through the motions.

I don’t like that LJ has discussed his contract stuff publicly, but it is nice to know.  Would be good if Callum gave his side, if LJ is BSing.

I just haven't got the same feeling towards O'Dowda for not signing a new deal as many on here. I don't blame him for wanting to move on. His game hasn't really improved with us since 17/18 before he got his injury. A fresh start with new ideas might be what he needs in his career. The only power we have as a club is to manage the situation. We could have sold him in the summer it seems with rumoured interest from Fulham, but we asked for 8 million.

I wasn't angry with Bryan and Reid for not signing new deals, and it worked out better for them not doing so. He either knows of interest and is waiting to be sold for cheap in January or see his contract out. Or he is waiting to see if any interest comes before signing a new deal with us.

I felt we improved him to start with. But when he really hit form in 17/18 with some outstanding performances,  Cardiff at home, Sunderland, Hull and Fulham away, as well as Watford, Palace and Stoke games in the cup, he then got injured and we never really got a good consistent run of games out of him again since.

The problem I have with what we see from him is mainly at home against teams that are denying us space. He hasn't the silky skills to manipulate a player into creating space for him to advance up the pitch when stuck out wide. All left foot, and often nowhere to go so comes back to the full back, he gets lost out there. This is not the case so much away from home when he already has space to attack and to use his pace and power to get beyond defenders.

So I wonder if a different position would get the best out of him. The times he has moved centrally in games over the last season I think he has looked far more comfortable. Or maybe we just don't play forward quick enough. Maybe that might change now with our new recruits.

The question of him being a left back is based on what someone on here said that O'Neil and Keane saw him as a left back, which is an interesting one. It would mean he has that space to attack when overlapping. He has mainly shown he is good in one on one defensive situations apart from that Leeds goal last week, and always worked hard and shown good stamina. Maybe like Bryan, O'Dowda sees himself going further in the game as a left back and wanted that Forest move because of that.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I just haven't got the same feeling towards O'Dowda for not signing a new deal as many on here. I don't blame him for wanting to move on. His game hasn't really improved with us since 17/18 before he got his injury. A fresh start with new ideas might be what he needs in his career. The only power we have as a club is to manage the situation. We could have sold him in the summer it seems with rumoured interest from Fulham, but we asked for 8 million.

I wasn't angry with Bryan and Reid for not signing new deals, and it worked out better for them not doing so. He either knows of interest and is waiting to be sold for cheap in January or see his contract out. Or he is waiting to see if any interest comes before signing a new deal with us.

I felt we improved him to start with. But when he really hit form in 17/18 with some outstanding performances,  Cardiff at home, Sunderland, Hull and Fulham away, as well as Watford, Palace and Stoke games in the cup, he then got injured and we never really got a good consistent run of games out of him again since.

The problem I have with what we see from him is mainly at home against teams that are denying us space. He hasn't the silky skills to manipulate a player into creating space for him to advance up the pitch when stuck out wide. All left foot, and often nowhere to go so comes back to the full back, he gets lost out there. This is not the case so much away from home when he already has space to attack and to use his pace and power to get beyond defenders.

So I wonder if a different position would get the best out of him. The times he has moved centrally in games over the last season I think he has looked far more comfortable. Or maybe we just don't play forward quick enough. Maybe that might change now with our new recruits.

The question of him being a left back is based on what someone on here said that O'Neil and Keane saw him as a left back, which is an interesting one. It would mean he has that space to attack when overlapping. He has mainly shown he is good in one on one defensive situations apart from that Leeds goal last week, and always worked hard and shown good stamina. Maybe like Bryan, O'Dowda sees himself going further in the game as a left back and wanted that Forest move because of that.

Thanks for the reply.  I know @BobBobSuperBob thinks he’s a good player, and we had a bit of a discussion last season when he was flying (around the Norwich game at home).  I don’t think it matters what position you play him in, left, right or centre midfield (I'll come onto LB later), he plays better against the teams that give space, the Norwich’s, the Swansea’s, etc.  He struggles against the teams that condense the play, the Birmingham’s, the Millwall’s, etc.  Why?

Imho, because he runs with the ball with his head-down (generalisation), looking at the ball not the play.  The top players play with their head up.  Brownhill is not dissimilar either.  Although he does glide over the grass, the ball always (another generalisation) is on the extreme of being under control.  Great when he nips it away from a defender’s challenge (Norwich wonder goal away), but often runs into a challenge, or rushes a pass because he’s on the stretch.

Don't get me wrong, he is a player who should be regularly in the side, but I think he has deficiencies (at this point in time) that are holding him back.  Could be a key player for us if he works on them.  Remember LJ being laughed at for saying that Bobby was a good finisher prior to 17/18 and that he’d worked on him not snatching at the ball in games.

Onto LB....I can see the ball-playing aspect advantage, and plenty of LMs end up playing LB.  but he needs some serious development in positional play and awareness of runners.  As a LM his tendency to ball-watch is alarming.  Opponents run off the back of him.

17 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Poor sole.. is it all dover for COD ?   

No bream move, still clinging a dodgy looking safety net..  

Catch 22 ?  

You're just fishing for compliments.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks for the reply.  I know @BobBobSuperBob thinks he’s a good player, and we had a bit of a discussion last season when he was flying (around the Norwich game at home).  I don’t think it matters what position you play him in, left, right or centre midfield (I'll come onto LB later), he plays better against the teams that give space, the Norwich’s, the Swansea’s, etc.  He struggles against the teams that condense the play, the Birmingham’s, the Millwall’s, etc.  Why?

Imho, because he runs with the ball with his head-down (generalisation), looking at the ball not the play.  The top players play with their head up.  Brownhill is not dissimilar either.  Although he does glide over the grass, the ball always (another generalisation) is on the extreme of being under control.  Great when he nips it away from a defender’s challenge (Norwich wonder goal away), but often runs into a challenge, or rushes a pass because he’s on the stretch.

Don't get me wrong, he is a player who should be regularly in the side, but I think he has deficiencies (at this point in time) that are holding him back.  Could be a key player for us if he works on them.  Remember LJ being laughed at for saying that Bobby was a good finisher prior to 17/18 and that he’d worked on him not snatching at the ball in games.

Onto LB....I can see the ball-playing aspect advantage, and plenty of LMs end up playing LB.  but he needs some serious development in positional play and awareness of runners.  As a LM his tendency to ball-watch is alarming.  Opponents run off the back of him.

Good post Dave

I do see the a good player ‘in there’ (As long as fully focused etc of course)  , a good ball carrier , decent balance and off both feet , and potentially , and has shown , potent in transition , and thus could be a impactive force at this level

I don’t know what’s soured here , or whether it’s COD himself , or just badly advised but it’s clearly over here

Shame IMHO

Archived