IGNORED

Match Report: Kasey Palmer gets City reboot its reward

Olé

There won't be many games this season City approach with the upheaval of radical change to their squad and formation, but Lee Johnson's men settled quickly and on their second half deserved the win from a close, well matched day at Birmingham.

Kasey Palmer was the standout player, by his prior standards on loan, a much more conventional all action midfield threat that dropped as needed and was at the heart of everything City did well. No surprise his third sublime through ball got City level.

Alongside him Adam Nagy also impressed as the rebooted City midfield showed first glimpses of the fluid, incisive passing LJ wants, albeit City fell behind after Hunt's reckless challenge, Rowe's unstoppable equaliser grabbing a well deserved point.

The new look side went into the game in a thoroughly different 3-5-2 formation with debuts in Rowe and Pereira as wing backs and Nagy in midfield and Afobe up front. It took a while for City to find their football in a forgettable, cagey first half.

The highlight was probably Pereira having a painful first 25, twice putting the ball out via unforced errors, the second time with no threat he decided to announce himself with a typically Portuguese Ronaldo-style slash turn and back heeled it out of play.    

The only action in that period was lively Birmingham midfielder Villalba flashing a rising shot at the top corner which Bentley did well to tip over. It was a rare moment of threat as City stayed solid while trying to pick out Afobe via quick deep balls.

But on the midway point of the half City's fans were on their feet, Nagy robbing the hosts in attack, feeding Palmer, who picked the first of three exquisite through balls of the day, Afobe clear to test the keeper, Weimann unable to snare the rebound. 

On the half hour Brownhill robbed the ball in the Blues half and spread play wide to the lively Pereira, and his swept cross into the box had to be headed behind at the far post as Afobe closed to finish. City's new look side were finding their range.

Three minutes before the break again it was Palmer, starting and finishing another sweeping counter attack, Weimann racing off the last man before reversing to swing it over for Afobe on the left, his miscontrol requiring a lay back to Palmer who smashed over.

After the break City looked confident and came out fast. Pereira was crudely chopped down - he'd later depart injured - and at the second attempt from a resultant free kick, Brownhill crossed, Kalas nodded down and Brum hacked out with Afobe ready to finish.

A minute later Bailey Wright, who'd been particularly poor with forward balls when called upon, produced a brilliant overhead kick from a Pereira long throw (yes we've got that threat back) which drew a good save right in front of the massed City fans.

Pereira was forced off by his injury and on 54 replacement Hunt crossed into the box and both Weimann and Afobe tried to turn over the line in a desperate scramble by the hosts - before Nagy finally connected at the far post, his shot deflected over.

Minutes later City goalkeeper Dan Bentley produced a world class save at the other end following a neat passing move by the hosts, feeding Jutkiewicz on the edge of the box, his turn and rising shot destined for the top corner - brilliantly tipped wide.

On the hour City were looking more and more fluid and Weimann dispossessed a home player in the Birmingham half, from the resultant clearance Nagy charged the ball down and collected it to stride clear, forcing a diving save with a hooked shot.

Yet it was the home side that went in front against the run of play minutes later. Brum broke quickly, Hunt choosing to clatter his man on the half way line - lucky just to get a yellow. Off the free kick Roberts crossed and Jutkiewicz headed in at the far post.

City threw on both their remaining subs - Diedhiou and Eliasson - and it took until 15 to go for Diedhiou and Palmer to combine clinically, the latter picking a killer pass to put Afobe clear on goal, his tame low shot straight at keeper Camp, parried away.

But by now Palmer was running the show, dropping deep, holding off opponents and looking for passes, and in the 83rd minute it told - dominating midfield he spied a 20 yard angle to left wing, Famara dragging defenders as Rowe raced in to laser into the far corner.

A stunning equaliser and certainly no less than City deserved - and right in front of their 2200 fans. Bentley looked careless in the aftermath as Birmingham threatened a quick response but in truth City finished  by far the stronger and well worth 3 points.

Not a win but good response after Leeds and against a well organised side. Given we were in a new formation and with new players we found our game relatively fast and in Nagy and Palmer had a far better midfield than City have enjoyed recently.

Bentley 6 Tidy, one world class save but not asked to do much and bit of a muddle right after our goal

Baker 7 Pick of our centre backs, quietly efficient

Kalas 6 By his own standards looked a bit loose and wasted two chances at the other end

Wright 5 Looks out of his depth in this side continually wasted possession with poor distribution 

Pereira 5 Was real culture shock - flashes of quality but blowing after 20 and gave it away cheaply twice. Crosses were good and brings a long throw. Will be okay but clearly Pisano style rabbit in headlights intro to Championship.

Rowe 6 Not a real wing back or full back, positioning often suspect but got forward well and finish was perfect

Nagy 7 Very clever footballer always in the right place and covering. Unspectacular but vital to how we played, covered all the hard yards and made sure we were never exposed

Brownhill 6 Muscled off the ball too easily for my liking a few times but looked like he was taking on responsibility post Pack and always busy

Palmer 9 Absolute stand out performer - was not the show pony of Ashton Gate last season, always in space, used the ball well, never muscled off it, and picked sublime through balls not once but three times

Weimann 7 Much better through the middle and worked his proverbials off against his old rivals, makes such a difference having two up front as there is always space for one or other

Afobe 6 Definitely an upgrade and always running off last man and will score a hatful of goals... BUT didn't today and he blew a clear one on one, if it was Fam he'd be crucified

Hunt 6 Stupid foul led to their goal, more comfortable than Pereira after that

Diedhiou 6 Funny how his headers find others when there are two up top. Looked hungry and was busy once on

Eliasson 5 Not quite the threat that was anticipated when he came on, largely bypassed by Palmer's stunning midfield play

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Nagy 7 Very clever footballer always in the right place and covering. Unspectacular but vital to how we played, covered all the hard yards and made sure we were never exposed

I get the feeling you might as well just copy and paste this bit into every report for the rest of the season.

I think Afobe will have been given a lift by his debut. Playing with pretty much a team of strangers, they still managed to create a couple of good chances for him. I have seen them on highlights and I think Camp makes a very good save for the first and guessed the right way for the second, Afobe will be thinking that as he gets sharper at least one of those gets put away.

10 hours ago, Olé said:

Palmer 9 Absolute stand out performer - was not the show pony of Ashton Gate last season, always in space, used the ball well, never muscled off it, and picked sublime through balls not once but three times

This.

he could well be the ACM we have been looking for since Jacki left the club (OK it’s a slow news day and that’s a slight exaggeration)

the questions is, can he keep it up? And if he does, will he be with us in 2020-21?

I didn’t come away with quite so much positivity for this season. We did look good going forward at times, but we clearly still have problems defensively, and Brum are not one of the better Championship sides. See how it pans out over the next few games against better opposition and coaches who have watched the new City, and of course, when we have those periods playing twice a week. 

The other thing is that we should all appreciate Marlon for what he added to the team, rather than bemoan his limitations. 

21 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

This.

he could well be the ACM we have been looking for since Jacki left the club (OK it’s a slow news day and that’s a slight exaggeration)

the questions is, can he keep it up? And if he does, will he be with us in 2020-21?

Interesting question. If he does kick on and play well most games there will no doubt be bids but what struck me from his interview was an emphasis on this is my home for the next 4 years statement.

It seemed to me a young Dad whose head was a bit scrambled by all the loans and disappointment of not playing regularly in most of them - the fact he has not played 90 minutes in over a year is startling and almost ridiculous.

I think he just wants a home and his performance yesterday may be what we will now see more and more from a man settled.

Not saying his head cannot be turned by a major opportunity such as a Chelsea first team return but maybe (if we are performing at a level where we really can be a top 6 team - if not this year then certainly next) a club like Brighton coming in for him may not turn his head as it would many others and indeed did with Webster.

I would say the chances are decent.

7 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Yes, Fam would get crucified because he's made a habit of missing good chances for a season now. If Afobe's still fluffing his lines in 12 months then this quote will make sense.

You think our fans will give him that long?

He needs to start converting chances pretty quickly imo. Especially great opportunities like he had yesterday. Otherwise he'll start getting a reputation for fluffing one-on-ones like Baldock did.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He needs to start converting chances pretty quickly imo. Especially great opportunities like he had yesterday. Otherwise he'll start getting a reputation for fluffing one-on-ones like Baldock did.

Agree with this, it's a real shame he didn't score yesterday as it would've given him a kickstart to the season. Hopefully he can grab one in the week/ next weekend to do this. 

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t understand why people were  negative about Kasey signing - the lad can play, going to make a huge difference

Him and Han - Noah  are  very exciting.

Big difference for me - and what it seems like LJ working on - is turning him into an actual midfielder that can adapt to different formations, including eventually being able to play in a midfield 2, rather than a false 9 or attacking midfielder who, when you include in team, you have to base your entire formation around.

Tbh, yesterday, it was when he dropped a bit deeper that he started to look really dangerous and he put himself about a bit. That was most encouraging thing for me. Massive progress from the player we had last season. 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Probably not, and he will need to get up to speed, but the OP was talking about Fam who has been missing most of his good chances for a year now.

38 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Big difference for me - and what it seems like LJ working on - is turning him into an actual midfielder that can adapt to different formations, including eventually being able to play in a midfield 2, rather than a false 9 or attacking midfielder who, when you include in team, you have to base your entire formation around.

Tbh, yesterday, it was when he dropped a bit deeper that he started to look really dangerous and he put himself about a bit. That was most encouraging thing for me. Massive progress from the player we had last season. 

I think those final 15 mins showed Kasey in a really positive light.  Nagy was tiring and basically just keeping his shape and the ball ticking over, but relying on Kasey to give us that drive.

I’ve been a big advocate of Palmer since he joined on loan last January, and I'm not expecting everyone to be converted by one 90 minute performance, but it showed his potential.

We waxed lyrical about Pack’s no look pass to Weimann last August (?)v Bolton (a).....I'm sure yesterday’s triple won’t be his last.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think those final 15 mins showed Kasey in a really positive light.  Nagy was tiring and basically just keeping his shape and the ball ticking over, but relying on Kasey to give us that drive.

I’ve been a big advocate of Palmer since he joined on loan last January, and I'm not expecting everyone to be converted by one 90 minute performance, but it showed his potential.

We waxed lyrical about Pack’s no look pass to Weimann last August (?)v Bolton (a).....I'm sure yesterday’s triple won’t be his last.

Mrs Isewater had her lyricals waxed last week . I think .

Funny just watching the highlights on BCFC, the Brum commentator says about Palmer, he has not had the influence on the game the fans would have hoped, just at the split second he played in Rowe. Nice bit of commentators curse, thanks.

Could be an exciting season now we have players with movement and someone who can pick a pass.

Palmer showed his vision last year. Two I can remember, there are more but my memory is rubbish , Forest slipped the ball to Weimann to cross for Fam, and obviously Sheff U away for Weimann's 3rd. AW has always tried those runs, now we have someone who can not only see the runs but have the ability to play the pass. Bodes well for Afobe too on Saturdays showing, I'm hoping Massengo adds yet another bit of quality.

Palmer was mainly not good enough last season because Fam hasn't got any movement. And Fam wasn't good enough when someone like Palmer was behind him because Palmer is not a runner that gets onto Diedhiou's second balls.

Now Palmer has Afobe, that makes all the difference. Maybe next step in January will be to get another like Afobe, unless LJ can work a way of getting the best out of both Palmer and Diedhiou in the same side if Afobe is injured.

Players need to find a way of complimenting each other, and so far Palmer and Diedhiou generally haven't.

18 hours ago, Olé said:

There won't be many games this season City approach with the upheaval of radical change to their squad and formation, but Lee Johnson's men settled quickly and on their second half deserved the win from a close, well matched day at Birmingham.

Kasey Palmer was the standout player, by his prior standards on loan, a much more conventional all action midfield threat that dropped as needed and was at the heart of everything City did well. No surprise his third sublime through ball got City level.

Alongside him Adam Nagy also impressed as the rebooted City midfield showed first glimpses of the fluid, incisive passing LJ wants, albeit City fell behind after Hunt's reckless challenge, Rowe's unstoppable equaliser grabbing a well deserved point.

The new look side went into the game in a thoroughly different 3-5-2 formation with debuts in Rowe and Pereira as wing backs and Nagy in midfield and Afobe up front. It took a while for City to find their football in a forgettable, cagey first half.

The highlight was probably Pereira having a painful first 25, twice putting the ball out via unforced errors, the second time with no threat he decided to announce himself with a typically Portuguese Ronaldo-style slash turn and back heeled it out of play.    

The only action in that period was lively Birmingham midfielder Villalba flashing a rising shot at the top corner which Bentley did well to tip over. It was a rare moment of threat as City stayed solid while trying to pick out Afobe via quick deep balls.

But on the midway point of the half City's fans were on their feet, Nagy robbing the hosts in attack, feeding Palmer, who picked the first of three exquisite through balls of the day, Afobe clear to test the keeper, Weimann unable to snare the rebound. 

On the half hour Brownhill robbed the ball in the Blues half and spread play wide to the lively Pereira, and his swept cross into the box had to be headed behind at the far post as Afobe closed to finish. City's new look side were finding their range.

Three minutes before the break again it was Palmer, starting and finishing another sweeping counter attack, Weimann racing off the last man before reversing to swing it over for Afobe on the left, his miscontrol requiring a lay back to Palmer who smashed over.

After the break City looked confident and came out fast. Pereira was crudely chopped down - he'd later depart injured - and at the second attempt from a resultant free kick, Brownhill crossed, Kalas nodded down and Brum hacked out with Afobe ready to finish.

A minute later Bailey Wright, who'd been particularly poor with forward balls when called upon, produced a brilliant overhead kick from a Pereira long throw (yes we've got that threat back) which drew a good save right in front of the massed City fans.

Pereira was forced off by his injury and on 54 replacement Hunt crossed into the box and both Weimann and Afobe tried to turn over the line in a desperate scramble by the hosts - before Nagy finally connected at the far post, his shot deflected over.

Minutes later City goalkeeper Dan Bentley produced a world class save at the other end following a neat passing move by the hosts, feeding Jutkiewicz on the edge of the box, his turn and rising shot destined for the top corner - brilliantly tipped wide.

On the hour City were looking more and more fluid and Weimann dispossessed a home player in the Birmingham half, from the resultant clearance Nagy charged the ball down and collected it to stride clear, forcing a diving save with a hooked shot.

Yet it was the home side that went in front against the run of play minutes later. Brum broke quickly, Hunt choosing to clatter his man on the half way line - lucky just to get a yellow. Off the free kick Roberts crossed and Jutkiewicz headed in at the far post.

City threw on both their remaining subs - Diedhiou and Eliasson - and it took until 15 to go for Diedhiou and Palmer to combine clinically, the latter picking a killer pass to put Afobe clear on goal, his tame low shot straight at keeper Camp, parried away.

But by now Palmer was running the show, dropping deep, holding off opponents and looking for passes, and in the 83rd minute it told - dominating midfield he spied a 20 yard angle to left wing, Famara dragging defenders as Rowe raced in to laser into the far corner.

A stunning equaliser and certainly no less than City deserved - and right in front of their 2200 fans. Bentley looked careless in the aftermath as Birmingham threatened a quick response but in truth City finished  by far the stronger and well worth 3 points.

Not a win but good response after Leeds and against a well organised side. Given we were in a new formation and with new players we found our game relatively fast and in Nagy and Palmer had a far better midfield than City have enjoyed recently.

Bentley 6 Tidy, one world class save but not asked to do much and bit of a muddle right after our goal

Baker 7 Pick of our centre backs, quietly efficient

Kalas 6 By his own standards looked a bit loose and wasted two chances at the other end

Wright 5 Looks out of his depth in this side continually wasted possession with poor distribution 

Pereira 5 Was real culture shock - flashes of quality but blowing after 20 and gave it away cheaply twice. Crosses were good and brings a long throw. Will be okay but clearly Pisano style rabbit in headlights intro to Championship.

Rowe 6 Not a real wing back or full back, positioning often suspect but got forward well and finish was perfect

Brownhill 6 Muscled off the ball too easily for my liking a few times but looked like he was taking on responsibility post Pack and always busy

Weimann 7 Much better through the middle and worked his proverbials off against his old rivals, makes such a difference having two up front as there is always space for one or other

Afobe 6 Definitely an upgrade and always running off last man and will score a hatful of goals... BUT didn't today and he blew a clear one on one, if it was Fam he'd be crucified

Hunt 6 Stupid foul led to their goal, more comfortable than Pereira after that

Diedhiou 6 Funny how his headers find others when there are two up top. Looked hungry and was busy once on

Eliasson 5 Not quite the threat that was anticipated when he came on, largely bypassed by Palmer's stunning midfield play

Disagree with the 5s for Wright and Perreira. Wright is a better footballer than many give credit for and is certainly up to championship level. He has a strong personality that is a leader on the pitch. As for the missed passes, there were a few but no more than Baker in the first half, who on one occasion missed Weimann by a good 5 yards, despite have a radius of at least 10 yards to hit. I was surprised he was substituted but perhaps he was feeling having come back from injury. Given Hunt's reckless challenge, for which he could have seen red, I would have been tempted to have switched him to full back and took Hunt off. It's a 6 for me. 

I thought Perreira started slowly but, just like City, grew into the game. There were a couple of really good challenges, one a superb chase back to rob Villalba of possession, and going forward one great cross that we should have been getting on the end of. In fact I thought he looked a threat forward and we should have found him more. Another 6.

I think the difference with Palmer this season v last is his fitness. LJ said at the end of last season that it needed to improve. He also said after the match yesterday that what he was most pleased about was that he played the full 90 minutes and was still performing at the top of his game at the end of the match. So I suspect that when some thought last season that Palmer was show-boating or not tracking runners, it was due to his lack of fitness. I must admit that I was one of those not fully convinced last season. If we now have a fully fit Palmer, playing an all round midfield game for 90mins, we will be much better in midfield. His pass for Rowe’s goal yesterday was sublime.

Archived