IGNORED

Taylor Moore?

Robbored

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not in the squad yesterday. Is he injured?

Cant find anything on the OS.

Playing Tuesday according LJ. I think with all the changes he took the option of putting as many of his experienced players on the pitch as he could, they are all centre halves.

This is going to be a problem position for us this season imo. If Moore is good enough then maybe not so, but we have to hope him and Kalas don't get injured. 

But if Moore is not trusted so much, maybe still slightly too weak at this moment in time. Then we don't have a ball playing type. We really need a player to bring it out defence imo.

But even if we play Baker as a basic stopper, he makes too many mistakes imo. I thought he was poor on the goal yesterday. He could have won it and just stood off before the guy crossed it.

Wright is more reliable but then you have the problem of him being very limited on the ball in that left side position if he played with Kalas. 

Praying Moore really shows he's good enough. Crazy to loan Vyner out who ended up playing very well last season at this level in a less favoured position. But that tells me he should be more comfortable in his correct position.

Hoping we bring in a free. We haven't only lost Webster, but Kelly against Brentford and Pisano against QPR showed what they could do at centre back too. We are a lot lighter there this season.

I agree with the comments above. I think LJ went for more experienced and rugged CBs due to all the new players introduced, especially the two defensive ones at RWB and LWB, and the opposition (eg Brum strikers). By all accounts on the forum Baker played better than Wright, so Baker and Moore competing for the LCB position is fine if they both stay fit. You could tell that LJ missed the passing from the CBs yesterday - he even said he’d like to bring in another ball playing CB if there are any free agents out there - so I reckon Moore will be in his plans and he is playing on Tuesday. 

My guess is , then because the bench just about picked itself, TM missed out as if there was a need to change we would drop a CB. If there was an injury to a CB we could go to a 4 or tweak the WB's and move one inside. If we had started with a back 4 , I would have expected to see a CB on the bench. 
LJ tended to set up fairly solidly to start last year, so you needed potential game changers on the bench, TM was unlucky yesterday, hard to argue for him to take anyones place on this bench.

Sammie Szmodics , Jack Hunt , Han-Noah Massengo , Niclas Eliasson , Rene Gilmartin , Famara Diédhiou , Antoine Semenyo

We've obviously made the decision that Moore is going to be part of the squad this season and the things that appear to be deficient in his game- positioning, understanding how to use his body, learning some of the 'dark arts'- he's only going to learn from playing games and working with coaches. As he's the only defender we have who can bring it out from the back, I feel like we have no choice but to give him games, accept the mistakes and bank on him improving. I'm actually ok with that too

2 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

Lee johnson wouldnt of started him againist Leeds if he didnt believe in him , i think if we play a back 3 we must start him due  his ablility  can bring it out with his feet. 

LJ said that Baker & Wright had not trained for 2 weeks, so the side picked itself against Leeds.

I understand why with so many changes he went for experience, but on his Leeds performance I would much rather have him than the other 2. Some were critical of him against Leeds, but I thought the opposite and coped very well. He covered and pushed Bamford out when Kalas went down from Bamfords elbow, you could argue he was at fault for the 2nd goal, but equally you could say it was a clever run from his blind side by Bamford, who was also not picked up by Pack. The 3rd goal he got caught up field when he misplaced a pass, but someone should have slotted in and covered his run? Kalas mistake for the 1st goal was worse than either of these

I suspect Wright was in for leadership as Pack was gone. As others have said I would prefer Moore in a 3 so we have someone to bring the ball out. Baker and Kalas would be fine to cover him either side. LJ’s comments wee quite clear as to his disappointment about distribution from the back and I will be surprised if we don’t get an OOC player in shortly. 

51 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I suspect Wright was in for leadership as Pack was gone. As others have said I would prefer Moore in a 3 so we have someone to bring the ball out. Baker and Kalas would be fine to cover him either side. LJ’s comments wee quite clear as to his disappointment about distribution from the back and I will be surprised if we don’t get an OOC player in shortly. 

If we lined up Kalas RCB | Moore | Baker LCB, do you see Moore bringing the ball out through the middle?

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If we lined up Kalas RCB | Moore | Baker LCB, do you see Moore bringing the ball out through the middle?

That would be my thought as Webster used to, although he didn’t have the benefit of 2 CB’s behind him or Nagy in front of him. If we play 4 then Nagy can provide cover or be an easy out for Baker and or Wright with their limited distribution skills. The danger of keeping either or both in is we tend to resort to just lumping it and bypassing our midfield where possession could be one of our greatest strengths this year.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

That would be my thought as Webster used to, although he didn’t have the benefit of 2 CB’s behind him or Nagy in front of him. If we play 4 then Nagy can provide cover or be an easy out for Baker and or Wright with their limited distribution skills. The danger of keeping either or both in is we tend to resort to just lumping it and bypassing our midfield where possession could be one of our greatest strengths this year.

I guess the reason I asked was because Webster invariably went forward from left of centre, just wondered if you saw issues with going straight through the middle?  Brownhill and Nagy should be able to work an angle for him I guess.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess the reason I asked was because Webster invariably went forward from left of centre, just wondered if you saw issues with going straight through the middle?  Brownhill and Nagy should be able to work an angle for him I guess.

I think it could work although it will take a few games to see if Moore is up to it.

9 hours ago, chipdawg said:

We've obviously made the decision that Moore is going to be part of the squad this season and the things that appear to be deficient in his game- positioning, understanding how to use his body, learning some of the 'dark arts'- he's only going to learn from playing games and working with coaches. As he's the only defender we have who can bring it out from the back, I feel like we have no choice but to give him games, accept the mistakes and bank on him improving. I'm actually ok with that too

Well said, much rather have Moore at CB rather than Bailey Wright any day.

Archived