IGNORED

93.9%

The Original OTIB

He does come with a classy reputation so a high pass completion rate would be par for course.

The issue I have with pass completion percentages is that they doesn’t give details on what type of passes they were. Two CBS could simply be passing 20yards sideways to each other any number of times. Does that count as a completed passes?

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He does come with a classy reputation so a high pass completion rate would be par for course.

The issue I have with pass completion percentages is that they doesn’t give details on what type of passes they were. Two CBS could simply be passing 20yards sideways to each other any number of times. Does that count as a completed passes?

Yes. A pass to a team mate, successfully completed, would count as a completed pass

Glad to have cleared that up

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

From match reports though it sounds like a good proportion of those were forward passes, transitioning play up the field towards Birmingham's box. I agree with what your saying, bit sometimes a player can sit in space and midfield, playing short simple passes and still control a game. It depends on the opposition, the tactics and the intent of those passes

1 minute ago, chipdawg said:

From match reports though it sounds like a good proportion of those were forward passes, transitioning play up the field towards Birmingham's box. I agree with what your saying, bit sometimes a player can sit in space and midfield, playing short simple passes and still control a game. It depends on the opposition, the tactics and the intent of those passes

Yes was just going to point that out. Very few meaningless passes from Nagy. Impressive debut

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

@Davefevs posted a graph showing the passes, on the other Nagy thread. 

Didn't get to see any stream of the game yesterday but I’m looking forward to see him play next Saturday  

The guy oozes class, the stat is slightly misleading in that a lot of the passes are short balls to the playmakers but what’s important about him is that he plays like s classic number 4. Breaks up play, tells players where he wants them to be, gives it to those who can in terms of making something happen offensively.

think this could be our signing of the summer, appreciating its only one game but this is the type of player we have been begging for for about 3yrs when Kory started getting injured.

29 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

He picked up the ball and invariably did something useful with it. He appears a perceptive player, taking the ball and passing it on to someone better placed...and doing so at pace...like a kind of motor driving the team. It was very impressive for a debut. Best appreciated when you can see it being done, hopefully he'll be consistently doing this in home matches where a greater number of posters can witness it for themselves.

Edit:

@RobArnold10 got there before me! And probably put it better!

And on reflection if you want to notice him you might need to follow him around the pitch...he's doing a lot of work very unobtrusively, and quickly, almost below the radar.

As well as his passing what I loved was his defensive play. Always seemed one step ahead, putting himself in positions to block off runs and passes or nick the ball away. Seemed to be everywhere, didn’t stop running. I feel he could be key to getting Palmer really playing to his potential as he has a bit more freedom to go wandering knowing Nagy has the intelligence and legs to compensate. 

Trying not to get too excited about him as it’s only one game but I’m pretty smitten so far ? 

53 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Yes. A pass to a team mate, successfully completed, would count as a completed pass

Glad to have cleared that up

He does have a point tbf.

I liked LJ interview on RB where he said he didn't mind if KP gave the ball away attempting a pass because he is capable of those defence splitting ones we saw yesterday.  KP stats may not be so great as a consequence.

Nagy did play plenty of short passes, but when we settle the players more and they get used to one another I suspect he will be more ambitious in his passing.  He was excellent though for a debut in a team of strangers.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Robbored here you go: 46/49 (15/15 backwards)

FC40118E-B013-41A7-9BDC-E6D7FCBE95F2.thumb.jpeg.400e2405fa13c7de4e50f0a3a929af0b.jpeg

Context:

- debut

- away from home

- playing as a 2 (supported by WBs) against a 4+1 from Brum

Here’s Marlon Pack from the Leeds game: 41/53. (19/19 backwards)

C5D532CD-F2C1-4C15-AFE6-7DFD2F80E567.thumb.jpeg.bf21f808a8dfe83e899656f04fbacd72.jpeg

And here’s his Cardiff debut:

3883CF65-6101-46CD-9632-AE43D9B2C3C3.thumb.jpeg.c667ad8cea480e1d102f7545c16e8013.jpeg

What would also be interesting with those stats is the momentum they were carrying at the time of releasing the ball. Nagy always seemed to be on the move with it, where as Pack very often felt like he had to stop and look around before he made a pass. 

26 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

He picked up the ball and invariably did something useful with it. He appears a perceptive player, taking the ball and passing it on to someone better placed...and doing so at pace...like a kind of motor driving the team. It was very impressive for a debut. Best appreciated when you can see it being done, hopefully he'll be consistently doing this in home matches where a greater number of posters can witness it for themselves.

Edit:

And on reflection if you want to notice him you might need to follow him around the pitch...he's doing a lot of work very unobtrusively, and quickly, almost below the radar.

Something LJ would appreciate 

?

31 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

The guy oozes class, the stat is slightly misleading in that a lot of the passes are short balls to the playmakers but what’s important about him is that he plays like s classic number 4. Breaks up play, tells players where he wants them to be, gives it to those who can in terms of making something happen offensively.

think this could be our signing of the summer, appreciating its only one game but this is the type of player we have been begging for for about 3yrs when Kory started getting injured.

The stats aren’t misleading if you read them in the correct context, hence why I put up Marlon’s from last week as a good comparison. ???

31 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Edit:

Very rarely stood there and admired his pass either, always looking to get back on the ball.  Different player to Wade Elliott, but I loved watching what he did AFTER he passed it....we missed him upon promotion.

Back to Nagy, there was one bit late in first half....a ball cannoned around, and was travelling at him at pace.  Normally it would be throw a leg at it and boot it upfield, but Nagy got it down, and played a simple pass to get us going.

7 minutes ago, City Ben said:

Interesting how much further up the pitch Pack was for Cardiff. 

Yes, Cardiff’s CBs don’t ask their DM to come and collect it....they’ll bypass their midfield a lot.  Smithies and Flint for your perusal:

29F8F76C-991A-45AB-BEAB-426964A03B7B.thumb.jpeg.efb511624d001e04d68ef16d7a4abbd8.jpeg2D153620-21FA-4FBB-9123-A3E884CBF53D.thumb.jpeg.c750e1ca39b38adca1e3574e2d7652c5.jpeg

1 minute ago, Coppello said:

@Davefevs I was looking at his data earlier but you posted the stats for me. One thing that is also remarkable is that 2 of the 3 misplaced passes were with his head which are a bit more of a lottery. 

Good point and clarifies why I was convinced he’d only misplaced one pass all game. 

1 minute ago, RedSA said:

Good point and clarifies why I was convinced he’d only misplaced one pass all game. 

Got a head like a sheriff’s badge (Joe Royle quote) ???

Seriously phenomenal passing on debut, away from home.

Needs to work on his heading ???

Archived