IGNORED

LIVE Q and A with Lee johnson (Merged)

Never to the dark side

59 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks. Surprised but fair enough...

He did mention it before taking questions, might have been before he was on the mic. He was stood by the table I was sitting at. I can't remember the exact words he used, but along the lines that we all know what happened on deadline day so not any point in discussing it.  

I thought he spoke very well throughout.

Said that Massengo cost about 30% of what's been quoted and Kelly and Webster went for "£15mill plus plus", and "£20mill plus plus" respectively.

Also said that preseason was ripped up because of departures and incoming players. Feels the team is better/stronger than last year, apart from central defence. Also acknowledged that Kalas might be disappointed as he came here thinking he would be in a partnership with Webster. Now looking to bring in another defender, but wary of the possible costs.

Said it's a new team and will take time to gel. We, as fans, need to be patient.which is a fair comment. 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I hear he confirmed we were looking at signing Matt Smith this summer?

Yes, looking at that type of player, but I got the impression it was only a thought.

Doesn't want to buy just bench players, who would block the pathway for lads such as Antoine.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

As usual LJ kept us all spellbound with his vernacular. He’s such an articulate and fascinating  guy, I could listen to him all day.

Webster - sees his departure as a great loss to the club and losing a player of such quality can have a demoralising effect on the squad. He and MA had tried to bring in one of two other CBs but the deals fell through. He sees this as an opportunity for TM to ‘step up’ particularly as Bailey Wright is now missing with  a thigh injury. Could be out a few weeks.

Not good news for Dasilva either. His injury is worse than  first thought and will be out for several months.

He was  asked about Vyner but said that Zac had not impressed much last season at Rotherham and felt that he needed more competitive football - hence his loan to Aberdeen. City have a recall option In January but now appreciates the loan as a ‘mistake’ - hindsight is a wonderful thing......

He was asked about Messengo and said it was thru contacts in France that City got involved. When he signed for us both Leicester and Chelsea wanted to know how we got him.....that blows the cons theory out of the water....

I asked him about Citys ‘style’ and asked him to explain to us what it is and wow! what a question.......He must have chatted for 10mins about it and i’ll freely admit he lost me after a few mins. Shame Spudski wasn’t there........Much of it was about box to box and how he’s happy with that but we fall short around the opposition box. All fascinating stuff............:cool2:

He was  also asked about a tall centre forward and he said that again City had been after a couple but the deals had collapsed.

Brian Tinnion - says the article was ‘click bait’ and essentially po-pooed it. Saying it wasn’t  accurate and that he and BT work closely together but wouldn’t be surprised if PL clubs were after him as he does such a good job.

LJ was great value today. We all agreed just how impressive he was.

Interesting news re: Bailey Wright.

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I'm not sure LJ thinks it's interesting! 

More like, oh FFS!!

Indeed. 

He’s left with just Kalas, Baker and TM in the CB cupboard and should any of them get injured or suspended then LJ has no replacements.

Could possibly see a CB in on loan...............:dunno:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Indeed. 

He’s left with just Kalas, Baker and TM in the CB cupboard and should any of them get injured or suspended then LJ has no replacements.

I'm no expert, but surely we can only now sign free agents, ie out of contract players. In which case they don't have a club to be loaned from?

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed. 

Thanks for the updates - appreciated.

How did he seem to have taken the shredding of his defensive options? I mean it's not just at centre back is it? I can't imagine the Tommy Rowe was signed as a first choice left sided back/wing back. Pereira looked good at times on Saturday, Jack Hunt we know (great goal on Tuesday!) but beyond them the cupboard really is bare. Which seems incredible given the talent we have sold.

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Thanks for the updates - appreciated.

How did he seem to have taken the shredding of his defensive options? I mean it's not just at centre back is it? I can't imagine the Tommy Rowe was signed as a first choice left sided back/wing back. Pereira looked good at times on Saturday, Jack Hunt we know (great goal on Tuesday!) but beyond them the cupboard really is bare. Which seems incredible given the talent we have sold.

He didn’t seem to be taking the injury to Wright and Dasilva too badly. He was philosophical about it saying things like this happen in football.

Although he never mentioned a loan CB coming in it wouldn’t be a surprise if we see one arrive.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He didn’t seem to be taking the injury to Wright and Dasilva too badly. He was philosophical about it saying things like this happen in football.

Although he never mentioned a loan CB coming in it wouldn’t be a surprise if we see one arrive.

Thanks. As I recall COD played at wing back for a bit in the friendly at FGR - and perhaps at Wimbledon too...my confusion is due to the sheer number of positional and personnel changes in the Wimbledon match...that could be an option I guess.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

As usual LJ kept us all spellbound with his vernacular. He’s such an articulate and fascinating  guy, I could listen to him all day.

Webster - sees his departure as a great loss to the club and losing a player of such quality can have a demoralising effect on the squad. He and MA had tried to bring in one of two other CBs but the deals fell through. He sees this as an opportunity for TM to ‘step up’ particularly as Bailey Wright is now missing with  a thigh injury. Could be out a few weeks.

Not good news for Dasilva either. His injury is worse than  first thought and will be out for several months.

He was  asked about Vyner but said that Zac had not impressed much last season at Rotherham and felt that he needed more competitive football - hence his loan to Aberdeen. City have a recall option In January but now appreciates the loan as a ‘mistake’ - hindsight is a wonderful thing......

He was asked about Messengo and said it was thru contacts in France that City got involved. When he signed for us both Leicester and Chelsea wanted to know how we got him.....that blows the cons theory out of the water....

I asked him about Citys ‘style’ and asked him to explain to us what it is and wow! what a question.......He must have chatted for 10mins about it and i’ll freely admit he lost me after a few mins. Shame Spudski wasn’t there........Much of it was about box to box and how he’s happy with that but we fall short around the opposition box. All fascinating stuff............:cool2:

He was  also asked about a tall centre forward and he said that again City had been after a couple but the deals had collapsed.

Brian Tinnion - says the article was ‘click bait’ and essentially po-pooed it. Saying it wasn’t  accurate and that he and BT work closely together but wouldn’t be surprised if PL clubs were after him as he does such a good job.

Excellent stuff Robbored. Never understood any stick you get on here. Top poster.

This window has been exceptional, but really think that simply not loaning out Zac could have covered us just about enough in central defence.

But I am hoping we do all we can to bring in one, or even two central defenders. If kalas gets injured now then we are in serious trouble.

I'd like us to get Pisano back, who can play centre back or left back cover for Rowe, or possibly O'Dowda. And I'd like us to do all we can to get the best centre back possible. Or if not then an experienced one who has done it at this level like Marc Wilson. 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Would surprise me, you can’t.

I'm guessing our loan (out) players are season loans, and anyway I believe could only come back during the window.That leaves OOC players, not sure who's out there.

@JonDolman ,  Pisano is a decent shout. Has he got a club ? As for Vyner, in theory we had 4 CB's to cover 2 places and he would have been playing U23 football, or none at all. He needed to be playing so I understand why they sent him out. COD could do a WB job, he always try's to do his defensive work, bit like Brownhill on the right, not ideal but can do a job. 

What I hope is that Hagy and Massengo do such a great job in front that the defence can have a cigar on ?

4 centre backs was never enough. People replied to me on here we only need 4. Well if 1 injury causes panic then that shows we needed 5 or even 6! We had 6 last season if you include Pisano.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Excellent stuff Robbored. Never understood any stick you get on here. Top poster.

This window has been exceptional, but really think that simply not loaning out Zac could have covered us just about enough in central defence.

But I am hoping we do all we can to bring in one, or even two central defenders. If kalas gets injured now then we are in serious trouble.

I'd like us to get Pisano back, who can play centre back or left back cover for Rowe, or possibly O'Dowda. And I'd like us to do all we can to get the best centre back possible. Or if not then an experienced one who has done it at this level like Marc Wilson. 

Piasano would be a good choice, knows the team set up etc, but would he want to come back (assuming he's not at another club)?

Just now, 1960maaan said:

I'm guessing our loan (out) players are season loans, and anyway I believe could only come back during the window.That leaves OOC players, not sure who's out there.

@JonDolman ,  Pisano is a decent shout. Has he got a club ? As for Vyner, in theory we had 4 CB's to cover 2 places and he would have been playing U23 football, or none at all. He needed to be playing so I understand why they sent him out. COD could do a WB job, he always try's to do his defensive work, bit like Brownhill on the right, not ideal but can do a job. 

What I hope is that Hagy and Massengo do such a great job in front that the defence can have a cigar on ?

Yes Pisano is unattached. To me with his legs gone he is a centre back now. And looked a bloody good one in the two games he played there.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

One thing I haven’t mentioned about Webster was that in one season he was at AG LJ said that his all round stats increased by a whopping 14%.

Apparently that’s a massive improvement in just one season.

He also explained the financial aspects of the Webster deal saying that he explained to AW that the club weren’t deliberately standing in his way but that the market dictated the asking price. He added that AW would be playing in the PL, quadrupling his salary and moving back to his hometown club and consequently his head was all over the place.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nice one fella.

Unfortunately I'm not 55...but hoping to retire sooner than later...so hopefully one day ?

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

4 centre backs was never enough. People replied to me on here we only need 4. Well if 1 injury causes panic then that shows we needed 5 or even 6! We had 6 last season if you include Pisano.

Allowing for Baker's injury record we are effectively left with Kalas and Moore. We may have to tread water at best until January.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Allowing for Baker's injury record we are effectively left with Kalas and Moore. We may have to tread water at best until January.

I just can't understand how we can allow Vyner to go before knowing we had one or two coming in.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I won’t believe any of this until it’s on the OS.

;)

Archived