IGNORED

LIVE Q and A with Lee johnson (Merged)

Never to the dark side

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

As usual LJ kept us all spellbound with his vernacular. He’s such an articulate and fascinating  guy, I could listen to him all day.

Webster - sees his departure as a great loss to the club and losing a player of such quality can have a demoralising effect on the squad. He and MA had tried to bring in one of two other CBs but the deals fell through. He sees this as an opportunity for TM to ‘step up’ particularly as Bailey Wright is now missing with  a thigh injury. Could be out a few weeks.

Not good news for Dasilva either. His injury is worse than  first thought and will be out for several months.

He was  asked about Vyner but said that Zac had not impressed much last season at Rotherham and felt that he needed more competitive football - hence his loan to Aberdeen. City have a recall option In January but now appreciates the loan as a ‘mistake’ - hindsight is a wonderful thing......

He was asked about Messengo and said it was thru contacts in France that City got involved. When he signed for us both Leicester and Chelsea wanted to know how we got him.....that blows the cons theory out of the water....

I asked him about Citys ‘style’ and asked him to explain to us what it is and wow! what a question.......He must have chatted for 10mins about it and i’ll freely admit he lost me after a few mins. Shame Spudski wasn’t there........Much of it was about box to box and how he’s happy with that but we fall short around the opposition box. All fascinating stuff............:cool2:

He was  also asked about a tall centre forward and he said that again City had been after a couple but the deals had collapsed.

Brian Tinnion - says the article was ‘click bait’ and essentially po-pooed it. Saying it wasn’t  accurate and that he and BT work closely together but wouldn’t be surprised if PL clubs were after him as he does such a good job.

LJ was great value today. We all agreed just how impressive he was.

Cheers for sharing fella

As usual LJ kept us all spellbound with his vernacular. He’s such an articulate and fascinating  guy, I could listen to him all day.

Webster - sees his departure as a great loss to the club and losing a player of such quality can have a demoralising effect on the squad. He and MA had tried to bring in one of two other CBs but the deals fell through. He sees this as an opportunity for TM to ‘step up’ particularly as Bailey Wright is now missing with  a thigh injury. Could be out a few weeks.

Not good news for Dasilva either. His injury is worse than  first thought and will be out for several months.

He was  asked about Vyner but said that Zac had not impressed much last season at Rotherham and felt that he needed more competitive football - hence his loan to Aberdeen. City have a recall option In January but now appreciates the loan as a ‘mistake’ - hindsight is a wonderful thing......

He was asked about Messengo and said it was thru contacts in France that City got involved. When he signed for us both Leicester and Chelsea wanted to know how we got him.....that blows the cons theory out of the water....

I asked him about Citys ‘style’ and asked him to explain to us what it is and wow! what a question.......He must have chatted for 10mins about it and i’ll freely admit he lost me after a few mins. Shame Spudski wasn’t there........Much of it was about box to box and how he’s happy with that but we fall short around the opposition box. All fascinating stuff............:cool2:

He was  also asked about a tall centre forward and he said that again City had been after a couple but the deals had collapsed.

Brian Tinnion - says the article was ‘click bait’ and essentially po-pooed it. Saying it wasn’t  accurate and that he and BT work closely together but wouldn’t be surprised if PL clubs were after him as he does such a good job.

Brilliant write up mate thank you, always appreciate you doing this and I am sure many others do too.

This is my problem with LJ right here. What is the style?  It's okay to discuss it for 10 minutes but it all comes down to what we witness for 90 minutes. The style we have seen recently is hoofball. 

Of course now, with a new team and look of change go formation. Hopefully we can start to play good conventional build up play, and press the opposition when the ball is not with us.

2 minutes ago, Redpool said:

This is my problem with LJ right here. What is the style?  It's okay to discuss it for 10 minutes but it all comes down to what we witness for 90 minutes. The style we have seen recently is hoofball. 

Of course now, with a new team and look of change go formation. Hopefully we can start to play good conventional build up play, and press the opposition when the ball is not with us.

Birmingham away we were forced to have 3 centre halves due to Dasilva's injury. None of the three are ball playing centre backs really, so perhaps cut the team some slack for that. Wasn't as bad on Tuesday. Let's give the team a few games and new players a chance to settle into the system before we brand the team with playing 'hoofball'.

What a good signing Rowe is turning out to be. 

I like Moore and he will never get a better chance. I can see a European loan maybe but a massive opportunity

Smith coming back would help but to be frank he and Rowe are cover for various positions now, however with our injury record they will are plenty of football

big question who is skipper on Saturday!?

12 minutes ago, Redpool said:

It’s far more complicated than that Redpool.

When asked LJ to explain his style LJ described it in football parlance. Now I was able to understand upto a certain point when I got lost after a bit as I’m sure others did. He’s very enthusiastic student of the game and his knowledge of the finer points is tremendous - as you’d expect from a professional Head Coach.

I got the impression that City don’t use a recognised style. It varies from game to game.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

See below Re Vyner bit in bold.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Excellent stuff Robbored. Never understood any stick you get on here. Top poster.

This window has been exceptional, but really think that simply not loaning out Zac could have covered us just about enough in central defence.

But I am hoping we do all we can to bring in one, or even two central defenders. If kalas gets injured now then we are in serious trouble.

I'd like us to get Pisano back, who can play centre back or left back cover for Rowe, or possibly O'Dowda. And I'd like us to do all we can to get the best centre back possible. Or if not then an experienced one who has done it at this level like Marc Wilson. 

Because if he posted stuff like this instead of trolling he’d have a better reputation.  I guess you were being sarcastic?  

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Thanks - couldn't remember with any certainty! Zak Vyner played very well on the right in that match.

This is the second time he’s let Vyner go out on loan early in the window and been bitten.  January 2018 he let him go to Plymouth, with Pisano injured and on his way back (ended up taking longer), and Wright playing through injury, which effectively knackered him for the World Cup.

I’m sure there are considerations that outsiders have no idea about, but with the window constraints this year in particular, I think it was massively naive (of LJ and MA) to Loan him early.  Of course the other reason is he doesn’t rate Vyner (which I think is more likely) and he wouldn’t play him even if he was here.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Nice one fella.

Unfortunately I'm not 55...but hoping to retire sooner than later...so hopefully one day ?

Get a room you two ?

58 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I just can't understand how we can allow Vyner to go before knowing we had one or two coming in.

See above.  We now have Pereira and Hunt, which suggests ZV is seen as a CB, and Moore ahead of him.

Aden Baldwin got a chance now?

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Birmingham away we were forced to have 3 centre halves due to Dasilva's injury. None of the three are ball playing centre backs really, so perhaps cut the team some slack for that. Wasn't as bad on Tuesday. Let's give the team a few games and new players a chance to settle into the system before we brand the team with playing 'hoofball'.

It hasn't just been one game @Phileas Fogg it's been going on for quite some time now. As I highlighted previously, as have you. Hopefully this will change with the new crop of players 

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s far more complicated than that Redpool.

When asked LJ to explain his style LJ described it in football parlance. Now I was able to understand upto a certain point when I got lost after a bit as I’m sure others did. He’s very enthusiastic student of the game and his knowledge of the finer points is tremendous - as you’d expect from a professional Head Coach.

I got the impression that City don’t use a recognised style. It varies from game to game.

Hopefully we are on the right path and make the required changes in our style of play as soon as possible. Again, my concern raised here highlights is Lee to technical/over complicates things for players to follow? He seems to want to follow in the foot steps of Pep Guardiola. But we're not Man City unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, Redpool said:

It hasn't just been one game @Phileas Fogg it's been going on for quite some time now. As I highlighted previously, as have you. Hopefully this will change with the new crop of players 

We've had quite a big turnover this season so you've got to give them a fair go. The spine of the team is different to last season so hard to judge the style of this season until they've bedded in. When we've been at our best, we've played some really good football under Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Hopefully we are on the right path and make the required changes in our style of play as soon as possible. Again, my concern raised here highlights is Lee to technical/over complicates things for players to follow? He seems to want to follow in the foot steps of Pep Guardiola. But we're not Man City unfortunately. 

People often say this, but no one is there when he's speaking to the players so it's a bit of a moot point to discuss. Just people guessing.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We've had quite a big turnover this season so you've got to give them a fair go. The spine of the team is different to last season so hard to judge the style of this season until they've bedded in. When we've been at our best, we've played some really good football under Johnson.

People often say this, but no one is there when he's speaking to the players so it's a bit of a moot point to discuss. Just people guessing.

Alleged that it can take 30 coaching sessions to ingrain the patterns. ?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not surprised by that really - especially when you consider that a few players have second language English. Assuming they train 5x a week give or take - that would be round about 6 weeks until you hope the squad is functioning as you'd like. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm not surprised by that really - especially when you consider that a few players have second language English. Assuming they train 5x a week give or take - that would be round about 6 weeks until you hope the squad is functioning as you'd like. 

I think it was any player who hadn’t watched only fools and horses ?

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

30 sessions is what? 60-90 hours? Seems about fair to get something "ingrained". Ingrained is a pretty strong word suggesting that the system is learned completely so as to be almost second nature. 

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

30 sessions is what? 60-90 hours? Seems about fair to get something "ingrained". Ingrained is a pretty strong word suggesting that the system is learned completely so as to be almost second nature. 

Yeah, does to me to.....I think LJ has previously said it can take 6 months to a season to learn....which to my mind means it’s too complicated.

As @Phileas Fogg say 6 weeks is reasonable.

3 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Has Gregg cunningham been released at Cardiff?

Blackburn

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Behaviours as in responses can be second nature. They can become what is know as unconscious competence where decision making and reaction occurs in a millisecond. Our brains have the ability to act as filters, and we with repletion (training) can make highly complex actions with ease because we learn to disregard what is not relevant to simplify tasks.

Football can be like driving a car where players act on auto pilot.

Add game calls to the above and responses become collective team intelligence where teams can become robotic - The Arsenal offside trap was second nature and one of the best examples I can think of. 

These behaviours become physical, they become memories and muscle memory, neural pathways which are strengthened by training x training x more training.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Said it's a new team and will take time to gel. 

So all this building his squad over the past few years has gone out of the window and we are back to square one? 

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Allowing for Baker's injury record we are effectively left with Kalas and Moore. We may have to tread water at best until January.

It's frightening that a club of our stature can get in this mess. 

We all know Wright is made of glass!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I just can't understand how we can allow Vyner to go before knowing we had one or two coming in.

Unbelievable situation to be in.

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure there are considerations that outsiders have no idea about, but with the window constraints this year in particular, I think it was massively naive (of LJ and MA) to Loan him early.  Of course the other reason is he doesn’t rate Vyner (which I think is more likely) and he wouldn’t play him even if he was here.

We have been lucky enough to see young players come through who had obvious talent, Joe Bryan and Lloyd Kelly to name just two. I can’t honestly think anyone who saw Vyners few first team games would ever put him in the same pool of potential.

I agree he hardly had a chance, but we are supposed to be competitive at the top of the table. LJ is effectively saying the Rotherham loan gave no indication he could step up (or presumably pre-season).I think everyone’s hope he would have stepped up at this time is misguided and wishful. We need a specialist with experience or pray that TM can stay fit and very quickly overcome some of his issues with consistency (concentration?)

Sounds like a bit of a crisis - but that LJ doesn't consider it a disaster - which is encouraging! 

To be more encouraging, for anyone who hasn't yet seen Nagy and Massengo you could be in for a treat if they play on Saturday. First impressions suggest that they are a cut above most of the players I've seen play in midfield for City in the past 35 years or so. And Palmer was a revelation at times last Saturday.

Things could be worse! (And often have been...)

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

4 centre backs was never enough. People replied to me on here we only need 4. Well if 1 injury causes panic then that shows we needed 5 or even 6! We had 6 last season if you include Pisano.

4 is enough if you've got extra competition from the U23 squad. Problem is, we don't.

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

So all this building his squad over the past few years has gone out of the window and we are back to square one? 

It's frightening that a club of our stature can get in this mess. 

We all know Wright is made of glass!

Unbelievable situation to be in.

LJ did say the ‘strategy’ had been put to one side.....and I certainly don’t see the club as a ‘mess’. Quite the opposite in fact. I see these coming games as real opportunity for what essentially a new squad to gel as a team. It feels really exciting to me and I can hardly wait for QPR on Saturday.

The only concern is how thin the CB cover is now with Wright being injured. These happen in football and it  leaves Kalas, Baker and TM as the only options. 

That said City are looking abroad for available loans..........

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yes Pisano is unattached. To me with his legs gone he is a centre back now. And looked a bloody good one in the two games he played there.

Sorry I don't know the web sites to go check where he currently plays, but I thought that others were saying Pisano was off to play for Perth in Australia?

Archived