IGNORED

LIVE Q and A with Lee johnson (Merged)

Never to the dark side

38 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Call me mr pedantic, but I’m not sure it’s technically possible to loan an out of contract player!

Mr Pedantic ? The response was to Harry who was saying the window was closed and we couldn’t sign anyone....I said we could sign out of contract players.

46 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Players don’t always move their home / family when they change clubs. You sometimes have a player playing for a club in the south with the family home in the north and vice versa. It’s not ideal, but it happens. Italy is obviously farther away but the same principle could apply, with Pisano flying home occasionally. Pay him £12k - £15k for 6 months and he’ll get £300k - £400k, which might make the inconvenience look attractive 

If you follow him on social media you'll see he's very much a family man - think it's highly unlikely he'd move back here under those circumstances.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mr Pedantic ? The response was to Harry who was saying the window was closed and we couldn’t sign anyone....I said we could sign out of contract players.

Thank you ?

Just to prove my pedantry though, have a look at Harry’s post; it was very explicitly about our being unable to bring in loan players! 

Sadly, quoting from two different pages is beyond my technical skills!

That said, I’m sure we can come to some arrangement with Chelsea whereby they release a promising youngster, we snap him up, and then sell him back to Chelsea for £1 at the end of the season!!

• Admin
12 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Mr Positive? But you are 100% right, hate having a go at the club, and these injuries were not planned, but we should have had the foresight in making sure we had some sort of replacement in for AW,  and to let Vyner go on loan Wow!! very unprofessional, we were obsessed in other areas and forgot the defensive needs. This will be a real test now,  rather LJ concentrate on bringing in some cover than entertaining  a few older Reds.....

For me this is all the more frustrating as we finally seem to have cracked the midfield problems, and Afobe is a great addition

Fingers crossed for no injuries

1 hour ago, phantom said:

For me this is all the more frustrating as we finally seem to have cracked the midfield problems, and Afobe is a great addition

Fingers crossed for no injuries

As LJ said in his talk......the loss of Webster could have a demoralising effect, and I imagine Kalas is umhappy about it?   As pedantry is todays watch word, I just do not understand why no major concerted effort as a totsl priority was made, to find a half decent ball playing centre back. We don't lack the funds?   We take one step forward sometimes, only to make two back?  Perhaps the distraction of Nketiah was a possible reason?, but should not have been.

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

As LJ said in his talk......the loss of Webster could have a demoralising effect, and I imagine Kalas is umhappy about it?   As pedantry is todays watch word, I just do not understand why no major concerted effort as a totsl priority was made, to find a half decent ball playing centre back. We don't lack the funds?   We take one step forward sometimes, only to make two back?  Perhaps the distraction of Nketiah was a possible reason?, but should not have been.

Thought LJ said 2 fell through.  Kid said we were after Clarke but maybe he’d committed to Derby and Brighton / Clarke didn’t want to go back in what was agreed.  Wonder who the second might have been.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought LJ said 2 fell through.  Kid said we were after Clarke but maybe he’d committed to Derby and Brighton / Clarke didn’t want to go back in what was agreed.  Wonder who the second might have been.

Yep, LJ did say that City were after two CBs but both fell through. Same happened with the club being after a big and powerful CF.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep, LJ did say that City were after two CBs but both fell through. Same happened with the club being after a big and powerful CF.

Reckon it might have been Hugill rather than Moore. Either way with Mr Ofobe I think we have done rather well. Fancy him to score a few for us.  It will be an interesting watch tomorrow if Hugill plays for them how he fares. 

I really liked Pisano but cannot see him coming back as an out of contract, and really needs to be left footer more than right, always seem lopsided when put players on wrong side. ELLIASON is so much better on the left, but spends most of his time RHS. Cutting in.   Hindsight is such a great thing.

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I find it hard to accept that these two CBs fell through. We had plenty of money to throw at it - enough to outbid most other clubs at our level - yet we came away with nothing. Why? 

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJ did say the ‘strategy’ had been put to one side.....and I certainly don’t see the club as a ‘mess’. Quite the opposite in fact. I see these coming games as real opportunity for what essentially a new squad to gel as a team. It feels really exciting to me and I can hardly wait for QPR on Saturday.

The only concern is how thin the CB cover is now with Wright being injured. These happen in football and it  leaves Kalas, Baker and TM as the only options. 

That said City are looking abroad for available loans..........

Without wanting to be a bit negative, surely no out and out left back for the next five months is a concern too?

11 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I find it hard to accept that these two CBs fell through. We had plenty of money to throw at it - enough to outbid most other clubs at our level - yet we came away with nothing. Why? 

Money isn’t everything!

If Hector was the other, maybe he was originally happier to go to Wednesday, having been there on loan, but when that fell through he decided to go to Fulham (can you blame him).  Even that fell through because Fulham couldn’t get it done in time.  Shit happens....not just to us!

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Money isn’t everything!

If Hector was the other, maybe he was originally happier to go to Wednesday, having been there on loan, but when that fell through he decided to go to Fulham (can you blame him).  Even that fell through because Fulham couldn’t get it done in time.  Shit happens....not just to us!

True! 

20 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

It’s not just about money AG. Many factors play a part in why deal don’t happen. 

Maybe the players didn’t want to move to the  area or maybe they didn’t see Bristol City as attractive enough. Maybe their agents were asking for silly wages and that wasn’t acceptable to the wages budget at City. MA would not of agreed to a new signing being on bigger wedges than other players for obvious reasons. Length of contract can also be a major stumbling block.

Maybe the two CBs got offered better contracts somewhere else?     :dunno:

46 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

If the 2 did fall through then why didn't we turn to CB 3, 4, 5, 6. IMHO this is a schoolboy error, very avoidable and will probably turn out to be very expensive, in terms of on field success.

The same can be said about signing a big lad up front, we've yet to replace Djuric, it's really poor management.

There seems to be a problem along the line, hard to believe and highly frustrating when you consider what a good job we seem to have done this time around with the midfield.

Still, I remain hopeful that we can pull a few O.O.C stars out of yet to be scraped magic barrel.

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s not just about money AG. Many factors play a part in why deal don’t happen. 

Maybe the players didn’t want to move to the  area or maybe they didn’t see Bristol City as attractive enough. Maybe their agents were asking for silly wages and that wasn’t acceptable to the wages budget at City. MA would not of agreed to a new signing being on bigger wedges than other players for obvious reasons. Length of contract can also be a major stumbling block.

Maybe the two CBs got offered better contracts somewhere else?     :dunno:

Yeah you might be right Robbo. One thing I must pull you up on though: how could anyone not want to live in Bristol?! 

20 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

If the 2 did fall through then why didn't we turn to CB 3, 4, 5, 6. IMHO this is a schoolboy error, very avoidable and will probably turn out to be very expensive, in terms of on field success.

The same can be said about signing a big lad up front, we've yet to replace Djuric, it's really poor management.

There seems to be a problem along the line, hard to believe and highly frustrating when you consider what a good job we seem to have done this time around with the midfield.

Still, I remain hopeful that we can pull a few O.O.C stars out of yet to be scraped magic barrel.

I agree that defence could be a costly achilles heel this season. We've undoubtedly taken a step back in that area. I'm just hoping that old Nadgers can protect our weaknesses

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

why didn't we turn to CB 3, 4, 5, 6

Probably because there comes a point where you question is CB option number 6 worth the amount they'd be asking or would you rather stick with Taylor Moore as an addition to the squad. Essentially we've swapped Webster for Moore rather than lose personnel 

2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Perhaps Taylor Moore was CB 3. Or perhaps the two that fell through will be available in January or the end of the season.

On 15/08/2019 at 19:40, Redpool said:

It hasn't just been one game @Phileas Fogg it's been going on for quite some time now. As I highlighted previously, as have you. Hopefully this will change with the new crop of players 

Hopefully we are on the right path and make the required changes in our style of play as soon as possible. Again, my concern raised here highlights is Lee to technical/over complicates things for players to follow? He seems to want to follow in the foot steps of Pep Guardiola. But we're not Man City unfortunately. 

Indeed,,,,were not Man City & more to the point Lee ain't Pep!!

Its no wonder that the players at times just look lost...my gut says Lee's trying to run before he can walk re; his own development as a coach & could do with,now and then,just stopping to take that deep breath........

With the recent big turnover on the playing side plus injury I'd say for the time being Lee keeping things fairly simple is high on the 'wish list!

Archived