IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City Carabao Cup Match Day - R1

Septic Peg

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Only 2 games that we’ve picked a “first choice” defence though. 

Not good enough yet, I agree, but to go quoting friendly and first round cup results in stats doesn’t give a true reflection of where we are. 

You may aswell say we are better without Webster, because we haven’t conceded 5..!

Of course but still not got the feel of that solid defence from last season. But I am willing to wait it out a bit as we have a lot of new faces. Just concerning it is becoming a bit of a theme. Don’t want it to affect confidence

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Only 2 games that we’ve picked a “first choice” defence though. 

Not good enough yet, I agree, but to go quoting friendly and first round cup results in stats doesn’t give a true reflection of where we are. 

You may aswell say we are better without Webster, because we haven’t conceded 5..!

Of course but still not got the feel of that solid defence from last season. But I am willing to wait it out a bit as we have a lot of new faces. Just concerning it is becoming a bit of a theme. Don’t want it to affect confidence

Just watched the goals back on SSN, first one Massengo/Nagy (I think) not closing the player down 10 yards out the box allowing him to turn, great strike from Wells, should Moore throw his body in front of it? Could say he's worried he'd deflect it past Bentley and he's giving him a clear sight of the shot to save it, just it was hit that well. Deflection for the 2nd Bentley can't do anything about, penalty not a lot Bentley can do about it, fair to say he didn't have much of a chance with any of the 3.

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Everything in the garden is rosy.........apart from the massive gap left by Websters departure, we really should have had a back up plan. and it is the one aspect that is leaving us vunerable.  I like Taylor Moore, but AW cannot be replaced easily, I just DO NOT understand why we did not spend a significant  amount on a quality centre back?   I hope I am being unduly pessimistic, but the lack of a top centre back is going to prevent us reaching the top 6 IMHO.  I really can't get my head round LJ"s failure to address this major problem.

Same old story I'm affraid.... Sold our player of the year and replaced him with nothing didn't address the LB spot as we sold Kelly and let's face it we ballsed up on every front for a striker as we had all our eggs in 1 basket and got shafted so let's all hope Afobe comes good along with TM or our summer buisness won't look that good after all... 

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Johnson sounds utterly knackered, deflated and at his wits end in the post-match interview. Says we were naive out of possession and he's not happy. Been a while since I've seen him quite so disinterested in doing the interview.

Fair assessment from LJ imo.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Johnson sounds utterly knackered, deflated and at his wits end in the post-match interview. Says we were naive out of possession and he's not happy. Been a while since I've seen him quite so disinterested in doing the interview.

Just sounds gutted to lose a winnable game. Hopefully the youngsters take a lot of learning from it. I expect only 2-3 of this 11 will start on Saturday 

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Good interview from him- honest and fair in his assessment. 

I feel like LJ is close to a real sulk, and moan about the lack of a CB and “proven 9” If pushed on it by a 20man etc. 

Saturday is a big game for him to get his starting 11 right. We can’t keep waiting for 60 minute subs in the hope they will be able to change the game! 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Just sounds gutted to lose a winnable game. Hopefully the youngsters take a lot of learning from it. I expect only 2-3 of this 11 will start on Saturday 

Yeh agree, I wasn't trying to read anything more than that into it really. I just can't remember seeing him quite so disappointed.

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

When we sell our best player who’s a centre half , it will affect confidence. Him and kalas were not just very good defenders but a great defensive pairing. He’s not going to be replaced easily. I think we’ll have to get a out of contract player in . If we wait until January we looking at a mountain to climb to get within a play off shout. 

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think that's a great interview. Doesn't like losing and not happy with the performance. I only heard the commentary but 1st half we sounded awful both with and without the ball. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

When we sell our best player who’s a centre half , it will affect confidence. Him and kalas were not just very good defenders but a great defensive pairing. He’s not going to be replaced easily. I think we’ll have to get a out of contract player in . If we wait until January we looking at a mountain to climb to get within a play off shout. 

Play offs not a chance we're back to we we're few seasons ago. Key area's not addressed and yes we've brought in players mostly foreign and there's many key factors if they work out as we all know. It amazes me preseason every year we play worthless games against local opposition or 2nd division teams from another country which achieves nothing. Why not play 3 prem teams and then judge your levels of tactics and fitness from that as after all that's the standard we are aspiring to be. Take the palace game for example we are miles off the promised land. 

Just now, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Having watched Baked and Wright on Saturday at Birmingham, he’s the best of a bad bunch IMO. 

No he’s not. His job is to defend . Baker is a better defender by quite some distance .

unfortunately we’re judging him against Webster and there’s no comparison but if bakers heads right he good enough for this league.

Moore isn’t  

1 minute ago, Allwaysred said:

Play offs not a chance we're back to we we're few seasons ago. Key area's not addressed and yes we've brought in players mostly foreign and there's many key factors if they work out as we all know. It amazes me preseason every year we play worthless games against local opposition or 2nd division teams from another country which achieves nothing. Why not play 3 prem teams and then judge your levels of tactics and fitness from that as after all that's the standard we are aspiring to be. Take the palace game for example we are miles off the promised land. 

What’s pre season opposition got to do with anything , ? it’s just for team shape and fitness ? 

1 minute ago, Nathandao said:

So. How do we line up Saturday then?

my guess would be

Bentley

Pereira     Kalas     Moore     Rowe

Eliasson      Nagy      Brownhill

Ameobi      Weimann

Since we did we sign Ameobi??

3 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

So. How do we line up Saturday then?

my guess would be

Bentley

Pereira     Kalas     Moore     Rowe

Eliasson      Nagy      Brownhill

Ameobi      Weimann

1. Bit harsh that we have to start with 10 men...

2. When did we sign Ameobi?

34 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He couldn’t buy another “top centre back” until he knew for certain Webster was leaving and he was getting the money for him.

You don’t know what on in the short amount of time after Webster left, before the window closed. It’s entirely possible we had targets that we couldn’t get. The timing was unfortunate but that’s not entirely within the club’s control. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. And we do still have reasonable options in that position.

Webster was pushing for a move all summer apparemtly...........if we could arrange Webster to replace Flint, then we could surely have lined up a centre back to replace Webster.  I'm sorry I am just not buying it!  A 30 man recruitment squad could surely have unearthed a centre back, and while I appreciate that Webste"s standard was almost impossible to replicate, a solid dependable ball playing defender was possible to find..........Derby and Leeds managed amongst others?   I believe that we have done extremely well in  the window............apart from this glariingly obvious mistep..........which I believe will affect our season long term, unless perhaps addressed in Jamuary.........which is 5 months down the road.

Archived