IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City Carabao Cup Match Day - R1

Septic Peg

Not sure Taylor Moore can start on the left with Rowe. A fresh young CB next to a CM could spell disaster. No I think it has to be the two who did not start tonight. Kalas and Baker and that is our best pairing imo. May have to ask Kalas to be a bit more of the ball playing CB. 

Bentley

Periera Kalas Baker Rowe

Brownhill Nagy

Eliasson Palmer Semenyo

Afobe

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Go on then pep explain why playing prem sides would of made a difference 

Well after the palace thumping LJ voiced his concerns, so you could say without that match he would have prepared different for the season. 

I think playing a prem side over hallen or any team several tiers below us is a better option mate.

26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Johnson sounds utterly knackered, deflated and at his wits end in the post-match interview. Says we were naive out of possession and he's not happy. Been a while since I've seen him quite so disinterested in doing the interview.

He's proper pissed off...think he's getting  fed up with giving players a chance to prove themselves and they aren't doing it.

Controlled interview...bet he goes ballistic in changing room.

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Go on then pep explain why playing prem sides would of made a difference 

Think the palace game showed where we are and the Leeds game proved that both games chasing shadows. If we want to be serious top 6 or higher we need to be technically better and faster teams + fitness. Not rocket science just the truth.

49 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

A lot of positives to take from the game. Moore gave a very good account of himself at CB and RB. On the ball Massengo is one of the best I've seen at City. Utter class ball control and spacial awareness, and really grew into the game. Some very impressive stuff from Semenyo too, and Rowe looked good again. Walsh and Eliasson had performances that summed up why they're close to the first team but don't get in regularly. O Dowda had a good impact defensively when he came on. Wright is totally bereft of confidence. 

At last somebody who saw the game as I did. Thought there were a lot of positives tonight. 

11 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

So. How do we line up Saturday then?

my guess would be

Bentley

Pereira     Kalas     Moore     Rowe

Massengo      Nagy      Brownhill

Eliasson    Afobe      Weimann

I hope we do play a true 4-3-3 but LJ doesn't seem to favour it. I am not sure about Moore, think it will be Baker. Hope Massengo and Nagy do get to play together in the middle, think they will offer the defence some protection, as well as some solid service, also not sure how Palmer can be dropped after last Saturday.

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not sure Taylor Moore can start on the left with Rowe. A fresh young CB next to a CM could spell disaster. No I think it has to be the two who did not start tonight. Kalas and Baker and that is our best pairing imo. May have to ask Kalas to be a bit more of the ball playing CB. 

Bentley

Periera Kalas Baker Rowe

Brownhill Nagy

Eliasson Palmer Semenyo

Afobe

Exactly this team for me. Really don’t get the Moore or Bentley bashing. Bentley did nothing wrong and Moore was head and shoulders above Wright. On tonight’s showing I’d be happy never to see Wright in a city shirt again

1 minute ago, Allwaysred said:

Think the palace game showed where we are and the Leeds game proved that both games chasing shadows. If we want to be serious top 6 or higher we need to be technically better and faster teams + fitness. Not rocket science just the truth.

We weren’t good enough , nothing to do with fitness. We’ll only be technically better by having better players . Palace weren’t fitter than us they came back for pre season we’ll after us . 

Thought Moore looked good this evening. Needs game time. Bentley is fine as a keeper. Don't get the criticism and I was there tonight and at Brum on Saturday. Wright looks a very limited player and Walsh just not at Championship standard for me. 

40 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Johnson sounds utterly knackered, deflated and at his wits end in the post-match interview. Says we were naive out of possession and he's not happy. Been a while since I've seen him quite so disinterested in doing the interview.

LJ sounds just as frustrated as the Leeds post-match interview when he said, "It's out of my hands," when questioned about incoming players.

Could that mean LJ wanted to bring in certain targets to replace Webster that MA wouldn't sanction? Our tower of strength in defence hasn't been replaced, despite the club having ample warning following 10 bids.

There also appears to be a lack of leadership on the pitch and experienced players like Wright are failing the manager, just when they need to step up following the shock exit of the veteran Pack.

Saturday is a must win in order to restore the club's confidence to kick on.

26 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

So. How do we line up Saturday then?

my guess would be

Bentley

Pereira     Kalas     Moore     Rowe

Massengo      Nagy      Brownhill

Eliasson    Afobe      Weimann

Why would you start elliason after tonight? He was pitiful 

31 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Play offs not a chance we're back to we we're few seasons ago. Key area's not addressed and yes we've brought in players mostly foreign and there's many key factors if they work out as we all know. It amazes me preseason every year we play worthless games against local opposition or 2nd division teams from another country which achieves nothing. Why not play 3 prem teams and then judge your levels of tactics and fitness from that as after all that's the standard we are aspiring to be. Take the palace game for example we are miles off the promised land. 

How on earth have you come to this conclusion after a league cup game in which we've fielded a reserve side?

7 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Why would you start elliason after tonight? He was pitiful 

Unbelievably harsh on the lad. Beat his man more than once and put 3 or 4 superb balls into the box. Looked much better than Szmodics for me

33 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No he’s not. His job is to defend . Baker is a better defender by quite some distance .

unfortunately we’re judging him against Webster and there’s no comparison but if bakers heads right he good enough for this league.

Moore isn’t  

I thought Moore  was excellent tonight. Very confident and read the game well. I had assumed he had been with us so long he was a recruitment error but was impressed.

We defend too deep and / or don’t close down shots from the edge of the box.

Hunt gets lost defensively and leaves too much space for others to deal with.

i don’t know if that is a CB issue or not. 

48 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Of course but still not got the feel of that solid defence from last season. But I am willing to wait it out a bit as we have a lot of new faces. Just concerning it is becoming a bit of a theme. Don’t want it to affect confidence

Agreed, but then we have lost Webster and Dasilva (more recently) 

Moore concerns me, at the moment - but hope he’ll step up. 

Its a big transitional period at the moment. Not ideal at this stage of the season, but unavoidable really. 

11 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Well after the palace thumping LJ voiced his concerns, so you could say without that match he would have prepared different for the season. 

I think playing a prem side over hallen or any team several tiers below us is a better option mate.

Ramping up opposition as pre season goes on yes I agree. 

I was replying to a post saying we should be playing teams like that throughout pre season .

prem teams come back a week or so after us so fitness wise they’re behind. 

we've lost our best player and not only that but he was the   basis which we played  and now the squad is unsettled due to the chaos surrounding the transfer window. 

Imo we’ve come a long way in a short period and now have some players that are out of their depth with where we want to be. 

Reading this thread is hilarious. 

Bailey Wright. Ok, yes, I think most of us would admit that he’s not gonna be a star man for us, he’s essentially our 4th choice CB. But jeez, reading this you’d think he was to blame for the first 2 goals when it was Walsh & Hunt who were directly responsible. I’m all for giving fair criticism but the Wright-bashing tonight is just unjustified. 

Goal 1 - Walsh gets easily passed through. Massengo gets easily skipped past. Wright is marking the most central striker, who is looking to run behind so Wright correctly sticks to marking him. Walsh doesn’t bother retreating all of 5 yards to fill the spaces in front of the Cb’s - ie the cover that a CM is supposed to provide. Meanwhile Hunt has been marking Wells and doesn’t bother running with him, leaving him free in the space between Hunt & Walsh, for Wells to pick his spot. 

Not Wright’s fault. If anything, a combo of Hunt & Walsh. 

Goal 2 - City in possession. Centre backs had spread wide, full backs up high. Walsh tries to beat a man when he’s in his own half with his CB’s spread 50 yds apart! 

The ball goes wide, Wright is the widest player and correctly goes to close the ball down. Meanwhile, Walsh jogs back (after his own mistake FFS) and watches their player make the run for the inside ball into our wide open centre. Wright is caught between closing the passer (which was his initial correct decision) or going with the runner (which he’s hoping Walsh does, since it’s a midfield runner and he’s the one who lost the ball). Easy cross, easy finish. 

Not Wright’s fault. 100% Walsh at fault. I don’t mind him making a mistake, but if you do, run the **** back and cover your ass. Lazy. 

Pens. Wright, a CB, taking the 7th penalty after the striker and winger had already missed. And seemingly Nagy, Massengo and Baker didn’t fancy it. Someone is always gonna be the fall guy in a shoot out, but Wright can hardly be ridiculed for this. 

He may well have had an ordinary game, but to criticise him for the 2 goals against and the penalty miss is just ridiculous. Get a grip folks. 

2 minutes ago, fairweather said:

I thought Moore  was excellent tonight. Very confident and read the game well. I had assumed he had been with us so long he was a recruitment error but was impressed.

We defend too deep and / or don’t close down shots from the edge of the box.

Hunt gets lost defensively and leaves too much space for others to deal with.

i don’t know if that is a CB issue or not. 

I might be being a bit harsh on TM  I’m going on what I’ve seen. Midfield protection is a problem and Nagy is vital to getting some stability 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Reading this thread is hilarious. 

Bailey Wright. Ok, yes, I think most of us would admit that he’s not gonna be a star man for us, he’s essentially our 4th choice CB. But jeez, reading this you’d think he was to blame for the first 2 goals when it was Walsh & Hunt who were directly responsible. I’m all for giving fair criticism but the Wright-bashing tonight is just unjustified. 

Goal 1 - Walsh gets easily passed through. Massengo gets easily skipped past. Wright is marking the most central striker, who is looking to run behind so Wright correctly sticks to marking him. Walsh doesn’t bother retreating all of 5 yards to fill the spaces in front of the Cb’s - ie the cover that a CM is supposed to provide. Meanwhile Hunt has been marking Wells and doesn’t bother running with him, leaving him free in the space between Hunt & Walsh, for Wells to pick his spot. 

Not Wright’s fault. If anything, a combo of Hunt & Walsh. 

Goal 2 - City in possession. Centre backs had spread wide, full backs up high. Walsh tries to beat a man when he’s in his own half with his CB’s spread 50 yds apart! 

The ball goes wide, Wright is the widest player and correctly goes to close the ball down. Meanwhile, Walsh jogs back (after his own mistake FFS) and watches their player make the run for the inside ball into our wide open centre. Wright is caught between closing the passer (which was his initial correct decision) or going with the runner (which he’s hoping Walsh does, since it’s a midfield runner and he’s the one who lost the ball). Easy cross, easy finish. 

Not Wright’s fault. 100% Walsh at fault. I don’t mind him making a mistake, but if you do, run the **** back and cover your ass. Lazy. 

Pens. Wright, a CB, taking the 7th penalty after the striker and winger had already missed. And seemingly Nagy, Massengo and Baker didn’t fancy it. Someone is always gonna be the fall guy in a shoot out, but Wright can hardly be ridiculed for this. 

He may well have had an ordinary game, but to criticise him for the 2 goals against and the penalty miss is just ridiculous. Get a grip folks. 

Don’t disagree with your goal analysis but his all round game was diabolical. Poor in the air, slow on the turn and don’t get me started on his passing. If he starts ahead of Moore in a league match again I’ll be shocked 

Archived