IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City Carabao Cup Match Day - R1

Septic Peg

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Reading this thread is hilarious. 

Bailey Wright. Ok, yes, I think most of us would admit that he’s not gonna be a star man for us, he’s essentially our 4th choice CB. But jeez, reading this you’d think he was to blame for the first 2 goals when it was Walsh & Hunt who were directly responsible. I’m all for giving fair criticism but the Wright-bashing tonight is just unjustified. 

Goal 1 - Walsh gets easily passed through. Massengo gets easily skipped past. Wright is marking the most central striker, who is looking to run behind so Wright correctly sticks to marking him. Walsh doesn’t bother retreating all of 5 yards to fill the spaces in front of the Cb’s - ie the cover that a CM is supposed to provide. Meanwhile Hunt has been marking Wells and doesn’t bother running with him, leaving him free in the space between Hunt & Walsh, for Wells to pick his spot. 

Not Wright’s fault. If anything, a combo of Hunt & Walsh. 

Goal 2 - City in possession. Centre backs had spread wide, full backs up high. Walsh tries to beat a man when he’s in his own half with his CB’s spread 50 yds apart! 

The ball goes wide, Wright is the wisest player and correctly goes to close the ball down. Meanwhile, Walsh jogs back (after his own mistake FFS) and watches their player make the run for the inside ball into our wide open centre. Wright is caught between closing the passer (which was his initial correct decision) or going with the runner (which he’s hoping Walsh does, since it’s a midfield runner and he’s the one who lost the ball). Easy cross, easy finish. 

Not Wright’s fault. 100% Walsh at fault. I don’t mind him making a mistake, but if you do, run the **** back and cover your ass. Lazy. 

Pens. Wright, a CB, taking the 7th penalty after the striker and winger had already missed. And seemingly Nagy, Massengo and Baker didn’t fancy it. Someone is always gonna be the fall guy in a shoot out, but Wright can hardly be ridiculed for this. 

He may well have had an ordinary game, but to criticise him for the 2 goals against and the penalty miss is just ridiculous. Get a grip folks. 

You are right mate...but take a look in the bigger picture...as you've noted, Hunt, Walsh and Wright are all liabilities at this level. 

One moment a turn of magic, one moment a turn of tragedy.

At the level we are consistently looking to play, you can't have allowances for this.

Hence all three being considered for want of a better word...squad players. Of which you can't trust.

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

I was replying to a post saying we should be playing teams like that throughout pre season .

prem teams come back a week or so after us so fitness wise they’re behind. 

Ah ok sorry mate. Well I've heard countless coaches and players say the lower leagues Leagues are more physical than the prem. I guess this makes sense given the more direct/long ball approach and pitch conditions. 

I'm sure they know what they are doing. Most clubs approach friendlies the same as us don't they?

Just now, Dunc said:

Don’t disagree with your goal analysis but his all round game was diabolical. Poor in the air, slow on the turn and don’t get me started on his passing. If he starts ahead of Moore in a league match again I’ll be shocked 

Yep. As said mate, he’s 4th choice. Or at least should be. But if you look back at this thread to the early pages, Wright was supposedly the biggest culprit for their goals, when in fact he did nothing wrong. 

I don’t mind criticism, but it’s gotta be fair. 

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Ah ok sorry mate. Well I've heard countless coaches and players say the lower leagues Leagues are more physical than the prem. I guess this makes sense given the more direct/long ball approach and pitch conditions. 

I'm sure they know what they are doing. Most clubs approach friendlies the same as us don't they?

Yes . Early preseason is about fitness nothing more . It’s why we played 3 games of 30 minutes in some of them . As you get closer to the start of the season the squad gets trimmed to basically the first team squad where I presume tactics and shape become more prevalent . 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

You are right mate...but take a look in the bigger picture...as you've noted, Hunt, Walsh and Wright are all liabilities at this level. 

One moment a turn of magic, one moment a turn of tragedy.

At the level we are consistently looking to play, you can't have allowances for this.

Hence all three being considered for want of a better word...squad players. Of which you can't trust.

Agreed. Wright, Hunt & Walsh are not good enough for us if we want to be a top 6 club in this division. Squad players, absolutely, but we don’t want any of them to be starting regularly at all. 

But I just want fair criticism. Wright was not to blame for the goals tonight. Happy for the rest of his game to be critiqued, but it’s gotta be fair. And players who are the ones who are ACTUALLY making the errors leading to goals need to be critiqued too. Tonight, the goals against were purely down to Walsh & Hunt. Not Wright. And that needs to be noted. 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Reading this thread is hilarious. 

Bailey Wright. Ok, yes, I think most of us would admit that he’s not gonna be a star man for us, he’s essentially our 4th choice CB. But jeez, reading this you’d think he was to blame for the first 2 goals when it was Walsh & Hunt who were directly responsible. I’m all for giving fair criticism but the Wright-bashing tonight is just unjustified. 

Goal 1 - Walsh gets easily passed through. Massengo gets easily skipped past. Wright is marking the most central striker, who is looking to run behind so Wright correctly sticks to marking him. Walsh doesn’t bother retreating all of 5 yards to fill the spaces in front of the Cb’s - ie the cover that a CM is supposed to provide. Meanwhile Hunt has been marking Wells and doesn’t bother running with him, leaving him free in the space between Hunt & Walsh, for Wells to pick his spot. 

Not Wright’s fault. If anything, a combo of Hunt & Walsh. 

Goal 2 - City in possession. Centre backs had spread wide, full backs up high. Walsh tries to beat a man when he’s in his own half with his CB’s spread 50 yds apart! 

The ball goes wide, Wright is the widest player and correctly goes to close the ball down. Meanwhile, Walsh jogs back (after his own mistake FFS) and watches their player make the run for the inside ball into our wide open centre. Wright is caught between closing the passer (which was his initial correct decision) or going with the runner (which he’s hoping Walsh does, since it’s a midfield runner and he’s the one who lost the ball). Easy cross, easy finish. 

Not Wright’s fault. 100% Walsh at fault. I don’t mind him making a mistake, but if you do, run the **** back and cover your ass. Lazy. 

Pens. Wright, a CB, taking the 7th penalty after the striker and winger had already missed. And seemingly Nagy, Massengo and Baker didn’t fancy it. Someone is always gonna be the fall guy in a shoot out, but Wright can hardly be ridiculed for this. 

He may well have had an ordinary game, but to criticise him for the 2 goals against and the penalty miss is just ridiculous. Get a grip folks. 

Thanks for this, great recollection. 

The first goal was a copy of Leeds first goal.

The second was poor on so many levels. Terrible to lose the ball unnecessarily when you are the last man. In a midfield pairing iWalsh goes forward Massengo should cover back unless their was an easy outlet for Walsh. I couldn’t tell. Should both full backs be so far up at the same time? Hunt didn’t reappear at all. Wright delayed the first man filling in at right back but no one come to cover. 

I will add though that I thought there was some exciting talent on display - Samenyo, Moore, Rowe etc. Thoroughly enjoyed myself watching our second  string. Which can’t be bad

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed. Wright, Hunt & Walsh are not good enough for us if we want to be a top 6 club in this division. Squad players, absolutely, but we don’t want any of them to be starting regularly at all. 

But I just want fair criticism. Wright was not to blame for the goals tonight. Happy for the rest of his game to be critiqued, but it’s gotta be fair. And players who are the ones who are ACTUALLY making the errors leading to goals need to be critiqued too. Tonight, the goals against were purely down to Walsh & Hunt. Not Wright. And that needs to be noted. 

Totally agree mate...but you know how it is on here sometimes...people read the headlines instead of some depth.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Completely disagree about second goal. Wright passed to Walsh, even though Walsh had two players coming on, and then positionally was really poor. Firstly for not tracking his man, who set up the assist, and then was stuck in two minds between closing him and running back. He should of closed down asap to force a mistake, not give him all the time to make the pass. 

46 minutes ago, spudski said:

He's proper pissed off...think he's getting  fed up with giving players a chance to prove themselves and they aren't doing it.

Controlled interview...bet he goes ballistic in changing room.

Yeh. I sensed a fair bit of restraint in that. Agree that a few are in for an absolute bollocking.

2 hours ago, !james said:

Nice moment for Walsh before his League One loan next week... 

Shame if that's the case. He's far too good for L1 imo.

I see Walsh as a very talented player who has something to offer at AG right now, and he'd be in my match day squad and getting on the pitch regularly.

Hopefully a recall option in January if he does go out.

Out of the three of them...........Walsh is the only one who should be anywhere near the first team squad, he has youth on his side, and will become more tactically astute.  Wright and Hunt should be playing in League 1.............they are not up to standard, and at times are more of a liability than a benefit IMHO.

38 minutes ago, fairweather said:

I thought Moore  was excellent tonight. Very confident and read the game well. I had assumed he had been with us so long he was a recruitment error but was impressed.

We defend too deep and / or don’t close down shots from the edge of the box.

Hunt gets lost defensively and leaves too much space for others to deal with.

i don’t know if that is a CB issue or not. 

This. Was surprised how positively he was reviewed on Saturday. Was all over the place positionally as usual and added to our shakiness at the back. Though Periera fluffed a few things going forward he looked way more solid defending and that was without knowing anyone’s names etc 

17 minutes ago, RedSA said:

This. Was surprised how positively he was reviewed on Saturday. Was all over the place positionally as usual and added to our shakiness at the back. Though Periera fluffed a few things going forward he looked way more solid defending and that was without knowing anyone’s names etc 

I didn’t think either Pereira or Hunt played well on Saturday (they weren’t bad, just not good)....thought Pereira was nervy on the ball, but you are right, he looks solid  enough defensively.  The on the ball stuff will come....and he was growing into the game when he got injured.  Hope his dead-leg is ok.

29 minutes ago, Selred said:

Completely disagree about second goal. Wright passed to Walsh, even though Walsh had two players coming on, and then positionally was really poor. Firstly for not tracking his man, who set up the assist, and then was stuck in two minds between closing him and running back. He should of closed down asap to force a mistake, not give him all the time to make the pass. 

We’ll have to disagree. Here’s some screenies :

Screenie 1 - Walsh should not be trying to take on a man when his CB’s are spread so wide. 

Screenie 2 - Having lost the ball, and seeing his CB having to go wide to close the opponent, Walsh should now track the runner, whom he is currently level with. This runner is the clear danger, and he needs to go with him. Especially given it was his error. 

Screenie 3 - as the ball is played inside, Walsh has completely disregarded the threat and let his man run clear of him, into the huge hole. 

Screenie 4 - by the time the cross comes in, Wright is the only one busting a gut to get back. Walsh hasn’t tracked the danger but even if he’d ran back marginally quicker he’d have been able to block the cross. 

It’s lazy from Walsh. It’s my biggest peeve. Once out of possession players should sprint back to defend, not idly jog. Especially when it’s their error. 

730FEC5C-F33E-4D80-94BD-5C332B30756D.jpeg

46934944-02A6-4458-8BE3-25C0B00DBD70.jpeg

8EA3822F-A1FF-4D50-9D8A-ED00320D6AF4.jpeg

624FA64A-FF93-4F58-8CA6-0FC5676EEDF1.jpeg

With Webster and Kelly gone and Dasilva injured for a couple of months, we've quickly gone from looking rock solid at the back to very vunerable.

Another 3 goals conceded... Think we may have a rough couple of months whilst Moore grows into his role, Pereira adapts to the English game and JD recovers. One step back, hopefully two steps forward. It's how things are going to be with our model.

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Deservedly so. At fault on Saturday, went missing tonight at times and missed a penalty, not that that's really fair.

Tin hat on but he should not be in our team as he's not good enough. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke but not up to the required standard IMHO.

I agree on the whole. Earlier in the thread I posted we should expect more from our Captain and full International with masses of Championship experience. He’s been outdone by kids and debut players tonight, by us and QPR no doubt. When Taylor Moore stepped up just before him I really didn’t want him to be the one who messed up as it would have shattered his confidence, not so much the miss but the finger pointing on here and everywhere after.

What hacked me off totally, and I’m almost defending Wright here, is the fact Diedhiou missed so spectacularly. That miss at this level is appalling. If our STRIKER had scored it might never have got to Bailey Wright anyway. I am horrified by the level of inconsistency by Diedhiou if I am honest.

Went to bed straight after so didn’t get time to comment anymore. 

In the cold light of the day we may of conceded 3 but we didn’t lose in 90 minutes. If anyone asked me before I didn’t want another cup run but won’t of minded one or two more games. I just didn’t want City to lose so going out on penalties was perhaps to me not the worse result. Would of preferred to have been 0-0 as it would of been a clean sheet but last season we wasn’t scoring enough so good to see the team score three goals. 

Roll onto Saturday to the game that matters. 

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Look at the bigger picture...those players you mention and others when missing a penalty, doesn't reflect on their performance during a game. One kick out of 'Character'.

I don't like picking out players, but Wright is way off...and has been for a while.

Sorry Spudski, I agree on Wright, I thought the OP was referring to Fammy?

Luckily Fam won't start many games, I know he gets goals but some of hs misses are awful, the header last night was a case in point.

Another player I have been disappointed with is Smoditch, looks like the step up is too much for him, he also missed a good chance last night when he scuffed at a good ball across the box. 

52 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Meanwhile a certain Shaun MCsko.... scores the winning pen for FGR v Charlton

Has he scored one in open play yet? 

1 minute ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Luckily Fam won't start many games, I know he gets goals but some of hs misses are awful, the header last night was a case in point.

Another player I have been disappointed with is Smoditch, looks like the step up is too much for him, he also missed a good chance last night when he scuffed at a good ball across the box. 

So that's it then? One game with a whole bunch of new players, no chance to get up to speed? Just written off. Brilliant! I really don't know why all the players can't just be Messi like from day one, rather than require development, I mean other clubs don't have to be patient with players, they just come ready made don't they?

Archived