IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City Carabao Cup Match Day - R1

Septic Peg

11 hours ago, westonred said:

Whats peoples thoughts on Bentley ? He seems to let in a lot of goals and isn't imo any better than Maenpaa

If any defence, no matter how good,  has to perform in front of a dodgy keeper, it's bound to make them nervous! I think Maenpaa is a much better keeper.

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Has he scored one in open play yet? 

So that's it then? One game with a whole bunch of new players, no chance to get up to speed? Just written off. Brilliant! I really don't know why all the players can't just be Messi like from day one, rather than require development, I mean other clubs don't have to be patient with players, they just come ready made don't they?

Not written off, I said the step up appears to have been too much, lots of people on here talked about him being the attacking midfielder we needed, having seen him I say he isn't ready, He's not good at the basics which is the real worry.

2 hours ago, RedEyez said:

@S.B. fancies Bailey Wright, pass it on.

I don't - I thought he was poor yesterday, but all the abuse that people give a the 7th guy to go up and take a penalty when it's clear that no one else wanted to take a penalty I think isn't fair.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

We’ll have to disagree. Here’s some screenies :

Screenie 1 - Walsh should not be trying to take on a man when his CB’s are spread so wide. 

Screenie 2 - Having lost the ball, and seeing his CB having to go wide to close the opponent, Walsh should now track the runner, whom he is currently level with. This runner is the clear danger, and he needs to go with him. Especially given it was his error. 

Screenie 3 - as the ball is played inside, Walsh has completely disregarded the threat and let his man run clear of him, into the huge hole. 

Screenie 4 - by the time the cross comes in, Wright is the only one busting a gut to get back. Walsh hasn’t tracked the danger but even if he’d ran back marginally quicker he’d have been able to block the cross. 

It’s lazy from Walsh. It’s my biggest peeve. Once out of possession players should sprint back to defend, not idly jog. Especially when it’s their error. 

730FEC5C-F33E-4D80-94BD-5C332B30756D.jpeg

46934944-02A6-4458-8BE3-25C0B00DBD70.jpeg

8EA3822F-A1FF-4D50-9D8A-ED00320D6AF4.jpeg

624FA64A-FF93-4F58-8CA6-0FC5676EEDF1.jpeg

Numerically our shape and especially last night will leave us at a disadvantage from these scenarios.

Sprinting back helps but only to a point- we'll always be behind the eight ball when teams fill central areas.

3 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Not written off, I said the step up appears to have been too much, lots of people on here talked about him being the attacking midfielder we needed, having seen him I say he isn't ready, He's not good at the basics which is the real worry.

Far too early to say - I'm amazed people still feel able to make judgements on players so quickly. You have to give people time to settle in and adapt. Definitely not a 'worry' yet.

22 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

I don't know what basics you are referring to, but I would be surprised if he has been playing this long without them, I would have thought that he might have been trying too hard and neglected them which often happens with new players. The key will be how quickly he can learn what is required in the step up to Championship level, the coaches will get into him and he will develop there are plenty of positives to his game though.

On reflection the thing that bothers me about a performance like last night isn't the result so much as what appears to be a real lack of strength in depth in key positions. To an extent I sympathise with LJ. We clearly don't have another CB of the calibre of Kalas and capable of partnering him in the same way that Webster did. We have an army of midfielders, but whilst I can see potential in Walsh I would question whether he will ever be in a position to challenge to be a first, or even second choice pick. I've seen all our domestic matches thus far, including pre-season, and whilst Szmodics looked good against Wimbledon and FGR as an attacking midfielder bursting forward at pace he looked lost last night and against Palace...and I'd question whether what he offers fits into the style of play LJ set us up to play against Birmingham...

...although that begs the question of what our style of play is.

I'd have thought that if this was a season in which we get into the play-offs and challenge for automatic - which is what SL has stated our objective to be - we need a squad with greater strength in depth and with more players able to step in when others are off form or injured. On the basis of last night we appear to lack competition for places. Taylor Moore and Semenyo look promising, but not the finished article. Fam, COD, Walsh, Eliason and Hunt all look inconsistent. Szmodics leaves questions unanswered. Wright and Baker are what they are, and don't inspire confidence.

On a positive note Massengo and Rowe are great additions. 

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

On reflection the thing that bothers me about a performance like last night isn't the result so much as what appears to be a real lack of strength in depth in key positions. To an extent I sympathise with LJ. We clearly don't have another CB of the calibre of Kalas and capable of partnering him. We have an army of midfielders, but whilst I can see potential in Walsh I would question whether he will ever be in a position to challenge to be a first, or even second choice pick. I've seen all our domestic matches thus far, including pre-season, and whilst Szmodics looked good against Wimbledon and FGR as an attacking midfielder bursting forward at pace he looked a lost last night and against Palace...and I'd question whether what he offers fits into the style of play LJ set us up to play against Birmingham...

...although that begs the question of what our style of play is.

I'd have thought that if this was a season in which we get into the play-offs and challenge for automatic - which is what SL has stated our objective to be - we need a squad with greater strength in depth and with more players able to step in when others are off form or injured. On the basis of last night we appear to lack competition for places. Taylor Moore and Semenyo look promising, but not the finished article. Fam, COD, Walsh, Eliason and Hunt all look inconsistent. Szmodics leaves questions unanswered. Wright and Baker are what they are, and don't inspire confidence.

On a positive note Massengo and Rowe are great additions. 

Perhaps Szmodics will be in the squad as an understudy for Palmer and nothing more than that. Or he might up his game over time and force his way in. LJ will know from training if he's got the goods.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Perhaps Szmodics will be in the squad as an understudy for Palmer and nothing more than that. Or he might up his game over time and force his way in. LJ will know from training if he's got the goods.

Except he doesn't seem to me to offer what Palmer offers at all. Palmer appears to put his foot on the ball, look up, and offer slide-rule passes and occasional bursts of close ball control that break through a defence. Szmodics appears a Glyn Riley figure, all action - which is great - but does he put his foot on the ball and look up? Unconvinced that is his game...that's more of Walsh's game. I'm not sure why we've bought Szmodics.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t think either Pereira or Hunt played well on Saturday (they weren’t bad, just not good)....thought Pereira was nervy on the ball, but you are right, he looks solid  enough defensively.  The on the ball stuff will come....and he was growing into the game when he got injured.  Hope his dead-leg is ok.

Yeah, I think Pereira will actually be quite a threat going forward and is good on the ball as well as being a strong solid defender. I think the miscontrols were just a bit of a nervy blip and he’ll be a quality player for us. 

1 hour ago, S.B. said:

I don't - I thought he was poor yesterday, but all the abuse that people give a the 7th guy to go up and take a penalty when it's clear that no one else wanted to take a penalty I think isn't fair.

It’s not fair that he gets paid lucratively as a professional footballer. 

It’s not abusive at all. Just straight facts .

21 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Except he doesn't seem to me to offer what Palmer offers at all. Palmer appears to put his foot on the ball, look up, and offer slide-rule passes and occasional bursts of close ball control that break through a defence. Szmodics appears a Glyn Riley figure, all action - which is great - but does he put his foot on the ball and look up? Unconvinced that is his game...that's more of Walsh's game. I'm not sure why we've bought Szmodics.

How can you have such an analysis when he's barely played for us? Give him a few games at least.

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Did you see him in pre-season? He was one of our best players, looked terrific against Wimbledon. 

I did, saw him at Wimbledon and FGR...he looked great in both matches. I'm just not convinced that his all action - what I call 'Glyn Riley' - style is what we play these days. Maybe he's an impact sub? I recall LJ saying that he had tried to talk himself out of signing him - and didn't - and I've nothing against him, but is he yet another club that we'll never get out of the bag?

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How can you have such an analysis when he's barely played for us? Give him a few games at least.

I'm just offering an opinion. I think I've seen all the matches he's played so far. I like him - would have been a great signing a few years ago. But if we're going down the Kasey Palmer 'slide-rule pass' route I don't think he'll get many games in midfield, and up front he's again not at the front of the queue. Strange signing for me...that's all.

8 hours ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Luckily Fam won't start many games, I know he gets goals but some of hs misses are awful, the header last night was a case in point.

Another player I have been disappointed with is Smoditch, looks like the step up is too much for him, he also missed a good chance last night when he scuffed at a good ball across the box. 

Cancel his contract immediately

Archived