IGNORED

QPR Ratings (cup game)

Selred

Bentley - 5. Couldn’t do much about the goal, a couple of decent saves but also one major flap. Always was looking for a pass however, giving the defence an extra option so credit for that. 

Hunt - 5. Would of been lower but for his screamer. Defensively poor, no where near his man a lot, targeted as our week link, should win more in the air for his height. 

Wright - 3. Positives, can pass 5 metres and does get into space to get the ball, had the balls to take a penalty. Negatives; too slow, poor position, not dominant in the air, can’t pass over 5 metres, can’t take pens. Liability. 

Moore - 6. Ran out with the ball a few times, and 1 or 2 long passes. Thought he had an okay game, just not supported in a back 4 by lack of midfield/Wright and Hunt. 

Rowe - 7. For someone who isn’t a left back by trade he did very well. Some good tackles, some good crosses. Good squad player. 

Baker - ? Not on long enough to judge. Didn’t get booked so that’s a plus.

Walsh - 6. Some great long balls, Scholes-esc. Superb free kick. However didn’t do much else, disappeared for periods of the game and would liked to of seen him more involved. Needs a loan and regular football. 

Massengo - 7.5. My French Prince. Would never of thought he’s 18. Some terrific turns, very comfortable on the ball, strong as well. Looks really classy. A few sloppy passes but overall great debut, going to be a very good player. 

Nagy - ? Didn’t really have chance to do much, one or two nice interceptions and passes but not enough to judge. 

Eliasson - 6. Not his best game. Probably one of our most creative outlets but a lot of his crosses were overhit, reaching the back post where no one was. Getting involved more in tackles, putting his body in there, which is good. Still our most creative.

Szmodics - 6. Glimpses of a great player in there. Real fighter and does have a spark. Didn’t really come off tonight. Could be a big player for us but need to be patient. 

Semenyo - 7. A lot of our best attacking play was with him involved. Would like to see him around the box more, making more runs through the middle. Good hold up, passing, moving. Second half quiet and needed to be subbed. 

ODowda - 7. Strength, speed, skill. Done very well to beat his man a few times, if he can get his form back which was saw snippets off tonight then there’s a great player there. 

Fam - 5-7. The only man who can hold the ball up amazingly one moment, the next moment the ball flys off him. Took his goal superbly, thought he went too far out at first. If pinging balls to him though there needs to be a target for him to flick too, as lost out many a time at this. 

LJ - 5. Defence was overrun first half, and took him too long to change that. No support from midfield too. Would liked to of seen more tactics from the training field brought into games, e.g if Elliason is instructed to get the balls at the back post then let’s have players running there. 

Loftus Road -1. Shit ground no fans.

What I fear, is that the likes of Nagy, Messongo and Pedro don't have their natural talent 'coached' out of them.

Seen it a few times where a player comes in and shows brilliance, from his former club, only to go backwards because of over coaching.

Sometimes less is more, let the talented player naturally react, rather than chain him down and slow his natural flow.

All for a plan... however...

5 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Think a 6 for Moore is harsh. 

Yes I can accept it may be, but he was part of a defence that shipped in 3 goals. He scored higher than Wright and Hunt, but not as good as Rowe in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

What I fear, is that the likes of Nagy, Messongo and Pedro don't have their natural talent 'coached' out of them.

Seen it a few times where a player comes in and shows brilliance, from his former club, only to go backwards because of over coaching.

Sometimes less is more, let the talented player naturally react, rather than chain him down and slow his natural flow.

All for a plan... however...

Fair point but regardless of how naturally talented a player is they have to be able to fit their game into particular style of play but  without restricting  their own natural game.

Classy players can and do exactly that and hopefully both Nagy and Massengo will do the same.

For me:

Bentley - 6. Couldn’t do anything about the goals and distribution good 

Hunt - 6. Great goal. Decent on the ball and often the outlet. Defensively same as Rowe

Wright - 2.  Couldn’t do anything right 

Moore - 6. Would like to see him a bit stronger in the air. Decent though

Rowe - 6. See Hunt

Walsh - 5. Terrible give away for their goal. Some tidy passes and some loose ones. Passing not good enough to counteract his lack of defensive qualities for me

Massengo - 7. Good debut. Tidy on the ball and surprising strength under pressure. Encouraging 

Eliasson - 6. Exiting whenever he got the ball. Beat his man and a couple of great balls in. Not sure about his defensive shape

Szmodics - 5. Ineffective for me. Ran around to no avail

Semenyo - 6. Couple of heavy touches but overall looked decent. Want to see more of him in the team

Fam - 5. Far too often beaten by average defenders. Missed an easyish header and awful peno

Subs - almost impossible to score. We basically had none of the ball for the last 20mins, which looked deliberate from the tactics (I.e. route one to Fam with no-one anywhere near him

Fans - 9. Great evening. Didn’t stop signing. Entertaining game, greatly enhanced by our lot 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fair point but regardless of how naturally talented a player is they have to be able to fit their game into particular style of play but  without restricting  their own natural game.

Classy players can and do exactly that and hopefully both Nagy and Massengo will do the same.

I hope so...but remember this conversation when they both start getting slagged off in a couple months time.

Talented players can be dragged down by others and fear through game plan.

What I've seen so far from both via online is talented players, that you see week in week out on the Continent...then they have to confirm to certain ways in this league.

Under a foreign coach I could see it differently.

Under LJ, as much as I admire him and think he's doing a great job, I have my reservations...for want of a better phrase, trying to run before getting out of a jog 

So want him to do well...but from what I'm seeing... he's very much a student of the game and imo, got a little ahead of what he's asking players to do, at our standard. Basically asking Championship players to do top 6 Premier League players to do the same tactic wise.

No harm in trying...and they'll get better trying it...but their will be a lot of heart ache along the way imo.

Bentley 7 - Several smart stops. Could have maybe done better with the second if being picky.

Hunt 6 - Scored a beauty. Attacked well. QPR found space too often on his flank.

Wright 3 - Not a captain’s performance. Dragged all over the shop. His spacing with Moore (too big) and Hunt (too close) looked like he hadn’t played with them before.

Moore 7 - Competent. Good on the ball, won most of his aerial battles. Quality penalty.

Rowe 6 - Caught ball watching a few times but overall pretty steady.

Massengo 7 - Shields the ball very well for a slight chap. Broke up the play well. Perhaps a little nervous in his passing on occasion; kept it fairly safe. Good debut.

Walsh 6 - Quality goal. Good range of passing.  Caught out sometimes.

Szmodics 5 - Not sure he knew where he was meant to be playing half the time, poor lad. I’m sure he’ll come good.

Eliasson 7 - Put some wicked crosses in in the second half - even with his right!

Semenyo 6 - Showed glimpses. Probably should’ve played Szmodics through in the first half rather than kept hold of the ball but good assist.

Diedhiou 6 - One minute he’s producing world class fancy flicks and holding the ball up well, the next it’s off his swede and 40 yards towards our goal! Well taken goal, horrid headed miss in the second and even worse pen!

Thought Odowda was lively when he came on.

37 minutes ago, Selred said:

Bentley - 5. Couldn’t do much about the goal, a couple of decent saves but also one major flap. Always was looking for a pass however, giving the defence an extra option so credit for that. 

Hunt - 5. Would of been lower but for his screamer. Defensively poor, no where near his man a lot, targeted as our week link, should win more in the air for his height. 

Wright - 3. Positives, can pass 5 metres and does get into space to get the ball, had the balls to take a penalty. Negatives; too slow, poor position, not dominant in the air, can’t pass over 5 metres, can’t take pens. Liability. 

Moore - 6. Ran out with the ball a few times, and 1 or 2 long passes. Thought he had an okay game, just not supported in a back 4 by lack of midfield/Wright and Hunt. 

Rowe - 7. For someone who isn’t a left back by trade he did very well. Some good tackles, some good crosses. Good squad player. 

Baker - ? Not on long enough to judge. Didn’t get booked so that’s a plus.

Walsh - 6. Some great long balls, Scholes-esc. Superb free kick. However didn’t do much else, disappeared for periods of the game and would liked to of seen him more involved. Needs a loan and regular football. 

Massengo - 7.5. My French Prince. Would never of thought he’s 18. Some terrific turns, very comfortable on the ball, strong as well. Looks really classy. A few sloppy passes but overall great debut, going to be a very good player. 

Nagy - ? Didn’t really have chance to do much, one or two nice interceptions and passes but not enough to judge. 

Eliasson - 6. Not his best game. Probably one of our most creative outlets but a lot of his crosses were overhit, reaching the back post where no one was. Getting involved more in tackles, putting his body in there, which is good. Still our most creative.

Szmodics - 6. Glimpses of a great player in there. Real fighter and does have a spark. Didn’t really come off tonight. Could be a big player for us but need to be patient. 

Semenyo - 7. A lot of our best attacking play was with him involved. Would like to see him around the box more, making more runs through the middle. Good hold up, passing, moving. Second half quiet and needed to be subbed. 

ODowda - 7. Strength, speed, skill. Done very well to beat his man a few times, if he can get his form back which was saw snippets off tonight then there’s a great player there. 

Fam - 5-7. The only man who can hold the ball up amazingly one moment, the next moment the ball flys off him. Took his goal superbly, thought he went too far out at first. If pinging balls to him though there needs to be a target for him to flick too, as lost out many a time at this. 

LJ - 5. Defence was overrun first half, and took him too long to change that. No support from midfield too. Would liked to of seen more tactics from the training field brought into games, e.g if Elliason is instructed to get the balls at the back post then let’s have players running there. 

Loftus Road -1. Shit ground no fans.

Cheers @Selred. There's a few that i might disagree with too but we all see the game a little differently! I thought I'd develop or disagree with a select few. 

Bentley - I also thought his distribution was excellent and is an upgrade on Fielding, however I too feel that he parried and flapped at a few shots which should be comfortable. 

Hunt - For me, that was one of his better games as I'm not a fan. Obviously an exceptional goal but I thought his performance offered a lot more than that and he put in a few decent tackles and battled well. 

Moore - I thought he was a 7/8 and was a real positive tonight. Some excellent last ditch defending and looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet with a real desire to make something happen similar to Webster. He has to be our first choice to play alongside Kalas. 

Wright - Completely agree. Football has moved on from the days of Wright being suitable for a team trying to push for the top 6. We're going to struggle if he is going to play a big role this year unfortunately. 

Messengo - I feel the whole crowd watched every touch with intrigue and clapped every pass, hoping that he'd put in an excellent performance. He made numerous classy touches and seems to have a bit of fight about him which will be key for an 18 year old in the Championship. He's strong for a kid with his wirey frame and appears to have excellent balance. There were a number times when it looked like he'd be muscled off the ball but he seemed to remain in possession. A very encouraging debut and I agree with your rating. 

Szmodics - In all honesty, I thought he was completely off his game tonight and very few touches came off. He had a complete air shot and a low ball which would have enhanced our lead to 4-2. I really liked the look of him in pre-season and was disappointed that he wasn't involved in the first two league games. He'll be upset tonight and will feel like he's not grasped his opportunity. I'd put him at a 5. 

Semenyo - We're still yet to see the best of him and he hasn't quite shown any of the dazzling form that he displayed at Newport. I thought he was a bit subdued this evening and is another one who will feel like he didn't grasp his chance. 

Diedhiou - Good. Bad. Terrible. Excellently taken goal, bad miss in the second half which could've made it 4-2, awful penalty. A few dazzling touches but I'm pretty certain he out dazzled himself and then would misplace the subsequent 5 yard pass. It was a Jekyll and Hyde performance. But Jekyll only turned up for Act 1 which was 15 minutes!

28 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Cheers @Selred. There's a few that i might disagree with too but we all see the game a little differently! I thought I'd develop or disagree with a select few. 

Bentley - I also thought his distribution was excellent and is an upgrade on Fielding, however I too feel that he parried and flapped at a few shots which should be comfortable. 

Hunt - For me, that was one of his better games as I'm not a fan. Obviously an exceptional goal but I thought his performance offered a lot more than that and he put in a few decent tackles and battled well. 

Moore - I thought he was a 7/8 and was a real positive tonight. Some excellent last ditch defending and looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet with a real desire to make something happen similar to Webster. He has to be our first choice to play alongside Kalas. 

Wright - Completely agree. Football has moved on from the days of Wright being suitable for a team trying to push for the top 6. We're going to struggle if he is going to play a big role this year unfortunately. 

Messengo - I feel the whole crowd watched every touch with intrigue and clapped every pass, hoping that he'd put in an excellent performance. He made numerous classy touches and seems to have a bit of fight about him which will be key for an 18 year old in the Championship. He's strong for a kid with his wirey frame and appears to have excellent balance. There were a number times when it looked like he'd be muscled off the ball but he seemed to remain in possession. A very encouraging debut and I agree with your rating. 

Szmodics - In all honesty, I thought he was completely off his game tonight and very few touches came off. He had a complete air shot and a low ball which would have enhanced our lead to 4-2. I really liked the look of him in pre-season and was disappointed that he wasn't involved in the first two league games. He'll be upset tonight and will feel like he's not grasped his opportunity. I'd put him at a 5. 

Semenyo - We're still yet to see the best of him and he hasn't quite shown any of the dazzling form that he displayed at Newport. I thought he was a bit subdued this evening and is another one who will feel like he didn't grasp his chance. 

Diedhiou - Good. Bad. Terrible. Excellently taken goal, bad miss in the second half which could've made it 4-2, awful penalty. A few dazzling touches but I'm pretty certain he out dazzled himself and then would misplace the subsequent 5 yard pass. It was a Jekyll and Hyde performance. But Jekyll only turned up for Act 1 which was 15 minutes!

Always respect your views, as they are regularly spot on.

Thanks for the insight, only watched it through a very dodgy line.

Cheers all...listened on the wireless and I think you all back up what I heard.  Owers is such a good summariser, you get a good feel for who’s done well or not, so good to see similar reflected in your scores.

Based on what I’ve seen so far, I wonder whether Lee might go back to 5212 on Saturday....and against my better judgement I think he should go Moore | Kalas | Baker and keep the rest as Saturday, Assuming Pereira’s dead-leg is ok.  

1 hour ago, Dunc said:

For me:

Bentley - 6. Couldn’t do anything about the goals and distribution good 

Hunt - 6. Great goal. Decent on the ball and often the outlet. Defensively same as Rowe

Wright - 2.  Couldn’t do anything right 

Moore - 6. Would like to see him a bit stronger in the air. Decent though

Rowe - 6. See Hunt

Walsh - 5. Terrible give away for their goal. Some tidy passes and some loose ones. Passing not good enough to counteract his lack of defensive qualities for me

Massengo - 7. Good debut. Tidy on the ball and surprising strength under pressure. Encouraging 

Eliasson - 6. Exiting whenever he got the ball. Beat his man and a couple of great balls in. Not sure about his defensive shape

Szmodics - 5. Ineffective for me. Ran around to no avail

Semenyo - 6. Couple of heavy touches but overall looked decent. Want to see more of him in the team

Fam - 5. Far too often beaten by average defenders. Missed an easyish header and awful peno

Subs - almost impossible to score. We basically had none of the ball for the last 20mins, which looked deliberate from the tactics (I.e. route one to Fam with no-one anywhere near him

Fans - 9. Great evening. Didn’t stop signing. Entertaining game, greatly enhanced by our lot 

Great review of ratings and agree with all eps semenyo who got into good positions but either his touch or decision making let him down . 

Smozdics - forgot he was on the pitch sometimes .

Fam- was it only me that thought he did ok ? When there was someone near to him he seemed to gain momentum and one turn he did in particular left us all speechless ! - was absolutely knackered at the end . Deserved his goal - I do realise he should have scored his pen

As for the fans - Loved the effort and support of us all .. great experience and can say I was there when we wait another 30!years for a pen shoot out ... 

21 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm kinda worried about Bentley. Not made any certified howlers, but at the same time not to my mind pulled off anything superb.

Lots of goals shipped in the matches he's played.

Can't wait for Maenpaa to give some competition for that place.

He’s pulled of numerous Superb saves!

7 minutes ago, bs20ciderarmy said:

He’s pulled of numerous Superb saves!

Not when I've been watching - and we're leaking goals ATM. It all seems to me like someone we all want to be great. we're willing him to be, but in actual fact is average.  Brentford fans weren't exactly crying to lose him. The consensus appeared to be there that he was a good keeper who has lost his confidence. Not sure he's refinding it.

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not when I've been watching - and we're leaking goals ATM. It all seems to me like someone we all want to be great. we're willing him to be, but in actual fact is average.  Brentford fans weren't exactly crying to lose him. The consensus appeared to be there that he was a good keeper who has lost his confidence. Not sure he's refinding it.

Didn’t see any Birmingham highlights? Think that’s more your problem than his. 

6 hours ago, westred1 said:

Bentley 7 - Several smart stops. Could have maybe done better with the second if being picky.

Hunt 6 - Scored a beauty. Attacked well. QPR found space too often on his flank.

Wright 3 - Not a captain’s performance. Dragged all over the shop. His spacing with Moore (too big) and Hunt (too close) looked like he hadn’t played with them before.

Moore 7 - Competent. Good on the ball, won most of his aerial battles. Quality penalty.

Rowe 6 - Caught ball watching a few times but overall pretty steady.

Massengo 7 - Shields the ball very well for a slight chap. Broke up the play well. Perhaps a little nervous in his passing on occasion; kept it fairly safe. Good debut.

Walsh 6 - Quality goal. Good range of passing.  Caught out sometimes.

Szmodics 5 - Not sure he knew where he was meant to be playing half the time, poor lad. I’m sure he’ll come good.

Eliasson 7 - Put some wicked crosses in in the second half - even with his right!

Semenyo 6 - Showed glimpses. Probably should’ve played Szmodics through in the first half rather than kept hold of the ball but good assist.

Diedhiou 6 - One minute he’s producing world class fancy flicks and holding the ball up well, the next it’s off his swede and 40 yards towards our goal! Well taken goal, horrid headed miss in the second and even worse pen!

Thought Odowda was lively when he came on.

He does put in good balls when he goes on the outside and uses his right. Needs to do it more often. Bit too obvious he is going to come inside when he does it every time.

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I didn’t want him but will give him longer. My fears aren’t going away so far though 

6 hours ago, ChubStixx said:

No cover for Jay and no replacements for Webster and Hunt could well cost us.

Rowe was LB cover, we already had 4 CB’s Hunt would be cover for Pereira . No point in bringing in a CB unless he was better than the ones we have, and even narrow searches than that, we need a left sided one.

How close was that to QPRs first team? 

Sounds like a lot of positives to me considering the likes of Kalas, Palmer, Afobe and Brownhill didn’t even play. Let’s be honest had it not been for a dodgy penalty decision we would have won.

I guess the only negative currently is that if you take out Kalas and Dasilva the defence looks pretty average to me. Hoping we don’t regret not getting a replacement for Webster in. 

24 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Sounds like a lot of positives to me considering the likes of Kalas, Palmer, Afobe and Brownhill didn’t even play. Let’s be honest had it not been for a dodgy penalty decision we would have won.

A lot of the team should be coming into the starting 11 seamlessly, so I wouldn't say it was massively positive. 

Kalas's replacement was our club captain, Afobe's was our top goal scorer last season for example, so it's not like it was kids. (Although Szmodics and Massengo/Walsh are young).

3 hours ago, Selred said:

A lot of the team should be coming into the starting 11 seamlessly, so I wouldn't say it was massively positive. 

Kalas's replacement was our club captain, Afobe's was our top goal scorer last season for example, so it's not like it was kids. (Although Szmodics and Massengo/Walsh are young).

We basically beat a team that I would expect to be around mid table away from home while dropping a number of key players. I’d say that’s positive. 

I think it’s also a blessing in disguise going out of the cup as well. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We drew in the 90- and were outplayed for reasonable periods.

Both sides made quite a few changes- seen the penalty now, harsh!

Stats can only go so far but according to Sky:

For another thread maybe but those numbers are- even for a Cup game with lots of changes (QPR made a similar number too)- concerning! Pretty stark tbh.

I think the stats are a bit misleading as we sat back after the Walsh goal and invited a hell of a lot of pressure. It was a bit disappointing as we kept hoofing it long in an attempt to clear our lines but the situation would repeat itself. We were pinned into our own half for most of the final 15 minutes. 

However, if we had won 3-2, I don't think the QPR fans would've called it a smash and grab by any means. We had a couple of good chances to go 3-2 up, with Szmodics taking an air shot at a low cross and Diedhiou heading over from the resulting corner. Not a stellar performance by any means but it could be excused by the sheer number of changes, new faces and the youthful side selected. 

Archived