IGNORED

Massengo

DT The Optimist

After the excellent report from Ole at Loftus Road (forget the other stupid name  the stadium now has)  thought that Massengo should have a thread in his own right.

A near record signing, (still unsure of the fee with denials of it being 8m from BCFC?) he cannot be a punt for the future and must be considered a starter and a name on team sheet most weeks? 

If you were at the game last night what was your view of him. Once he has settled will he be a first on team sheet if fit along with say Kalas.  The report from Ole gave him perhaps a 7. On radio obvious difficult to gauge yet not a lot said about him TBH FROM the excellent summariser Gary Owers.

do you see him and Nagy as our midfield future 

I've got a good feeling about massengo. Apparently excellent last night, apart from a few positioning errors in his game. Very lively the second half, and will become a fan favourite given more time to develop. Closer to the first team than most of the others last night. 

32 minutes ago, Arkateee said:

I've got a good feeling about massengo. Apparently excellent last night, apart from a few positioning errors in his game. Very lively the second half, and will become a fan favourite given more time to develop. Closer to the first team than most of the others last night. 

Closer to first team !

Where have we come from if we are signing players for a reported 8m (fake news or not) and not ready for first team.   Could any City fan  have seen the day when we would be in the position to spend that sort of dosh to develop him and get him ready for championship football.  A starter for Saturday perhaps ?

50 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

After the excellent report from Ole at Loftus Road (forget the other stupid name  the stadium now has)  thought that Massengo should have a thread in his own right.

A near record signing, (still unsure of the fee with denials of it being 8m from BCFC?) he cannot be a punt for the future and must be considered a starter and a name on team sheet most weeks? 

If you were at the game last night what was your view of him. Once he has settled will he be a first on team sheet if fit along with say Kalas.  The report from Ole gave him perhaps a 7. On radio obvious difficult to gauge yet not a lot said about him TBH FROM the excellent summariser Gary Owers.

do you see him and Nagy as our midfield future 

The other "stupid" name for Loftus Rd is I believe the name of a QPR youngster that was stabbed to death.

10 minutes ago, weepywall said:

The other "stupid" name for Loftus Rd is I believe the name of a QPR youngster that was stabbed to death.

Yes. Nice touch from them. I must admit it's still a strange move. Think there would be other ways to remember him...

2 minutes ago, weepywall said:

indeed it is, little misjudged comment from OP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49295790

As for Massengo, it's been reported the fee was far less than originally reported a €8m, believed to be €3m. 

Anyway, as good as his performance may have been last night we need to remember he's only just turned 18, lets not burden him with the pressure of our expectation.  However I'm excited to think of a midfield 3 of Nagy, Massengo  and Brownhill.

2 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

As for Massengo, it's been reported the fee was far less than originally reported a €8m, believed to be €3m. 

Anyway, as good as his performance may have been last night we need to remember he's only just turned 18, lets not burden him with the pressure of our expectation.  However I'm excited to think of a midfield 3 of Nagy, Massengo  and Brownhill.

Agree. Did not have a clue about stadium name. Early morning. Apologies.

back to Massengo. Believed to be a £3M signing with add on perhaps ramping it up to the reported £8 in France ?  Wonder why undisclosed here.

Perhaps Saturday we will see a midfield with Nagy Brownhill and this lad.  He seemed to have a excellent game last night then

9 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

Thé French media reported 8 million euros so who do you believe ?

Massengo was the jewel in the crown of Monaco’s academy, I’m not sure 3 million would have been enough to prise him away . Still we will probably never know .

Interestingly they are also saying that he is on the same wages with us as with them .

I understand a player needs to acclimatise to new surroundings, new team mates,  method and patterns of play and all that but great chance him starting Saturday then ? 

Nice to see perhaps 4 or 5 new players for the first time at the Gate. It looks the same for QPR who will have Hugill up front, potential target of ours earlier .

well Massengo will be on bench or a starter, interesting watch. Bench I reckon 

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Thé French media reported 8 million euros so who do you believe ?

Massengo was the jewel in the crown of Monaco’s academy, I’m not sure 3 million would have been enough to prise him away . Still we will probably never know .

Interestingly they are also saying that he is on the same wages with us as with them .

I guess we'll never know, the fun of the undisclosed fee.

He's been described as a 'talent', the pessimist in me thinks if the hype was to be true then surely other clubs would have been queuing up to sign him.  I'm just wary of hyping him up adding undue pressure to his development.

Don’t see a place for him in a 3-5-2 unless you sacrifice Brownhill’s occasional goal scoring and certainly not at the expense of an AM like Palmer.

Could more see him as a 2 with Nagy in a 4-4-2 because then at least you have two wide men to create and score which I don’t see as Massengo’s game yet.

18 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I understand a player needs to acclimatise to new surroundings, new team mates,  method and patterns of play and all that but great chance him starting Saturday then ? 

Nice to see perhaps 4 or 5 new players for the first time at the Gate. It looks the same for QPR who will have Hugill up front, potential target of ours earlier .

well Massengo will be on bench or a starter, interesting watch. Bench I reckon 

I think he will probably be on the bench - depending on the formation I imagine we’re more likely to have a midfield 3 of Nagy, Brownhill and Palmer.

13 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Don’t see a place for him in a 3-5-2 unless you sacrifice Brownhill’s occasional goal scoring and certainly not at the expense of an AM like Palmer.

Could more see him as a 2 with Nagy in a 4-4-2 because then at least you have two wide men to create and score which I don’t see as Massengo’s game yet.

Don’t think 352/532 will be regularly used, especially at home. Think it was forced on us a bit due to Dasilva’s injury. 

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

Closer to first team !

Where have we come from if we are signing players for a reported 8m (fake news or not) and not ready for first team.   Could any City fan  have seen the day when we would be in the position to spend that sort of dosh to develop him and get him ready for championship football.  A starter for Saturday perhaps ?

Not a starter on Saturday, but depending on how things go, will definitely come off the subs bench and contribute. 

It was interesting watching the warm up, whereas Afobe seems to be finding it easier integrating with the group which could just be experience and language, Massengo isn’t quite there yet although quite a few players seemed to talk to him throughout the game particularly Walsh 

Also he did cramp up for the last 10 minutes or so which was probably why he didn’t take a penalty so would imagine he’ll gradually be introduced until he’s fit enough to cope with the demands of the championship and playing Saturday Tuesday 

1 hour ago, Judda said:

Yes. Nice touch from them. I must admit it's still a strange move. Think there would be other ways to remember him...

I think it carries the name of the Foundation that was set up in the lad’s name. 

Back to OP, Massengo and Nagy are the new Xavi & Iniesta ?

1 hour ago, Judda said:

I believe there was a fan vote. Owners wanted to name stadium after a charity, fans could choose which.

As for Massengo, he sounds like he’s got all the potential that we hoped he would have. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get 20-30 mins on Saturday. Massengo loves a “pass n go”.

(Sorry)

I was very impressed with him last night. That deep midfield role, especially covering our leaky and undisciplined back four, is a very tough ask for any 18 year old, not least playing in a new country alongside new team mates who themselves are relatively inexperienced. So it wasn't a surprise that he missed a few runners, misplaced a few passes.

But, he read the game well, was always looking for space, making himself available, neat footwork, head up and looking for the pass. As someone else said on Saturday about Nagy, he doesn't just pass and then stop to admire it, he's immediately looking for the return, making another run.

His slight frame has been commented on, but what surprised me more than anything was just how strong he was on the ball. Admittedly QPR are no Cardiff or Preston, but he was rarely outmuscled. 

I think with a more experience hear alongside him: Brownhill who knows LJs systems inside out, or Nagy who's just a more worldly wise footballer, he'll benefit. But he looked last night like he'll be a fantastic acquisition, and showed one or two little touches that were really special and as he grows in confidence I think we'll see more of that and he'll become a real favourite.

We should new paying 4-3-3 with a midfield of Massengo, Nagy, Brownhill. This would give us as lively defensive midfield, with players good on the ball, who are also capable of a good pass/running into space.

With Semenyo, Palmer and Afobe ahead of them I could see us doing really well.

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

Agree. Did not have a clue about stadium name. Early morning. Apologies.

back to Massengo. Believed to be a £3M signing with add on perhaps ramping it up to the reported £8 in France ?  Wonder why undisclosed here.

Perhaps Saturday we will see a midfield with Nagy Brownhill and this lad.  He seemed to have a excellent game last night then

Don't let it bother you mate. There are plenty who will get more upset about your faux pas than things far more important. 

Those people are the real problem. 

1 hour ago, walnutroof said:

It was interesting watching the warm up, whereas Afobe seems to be finding it easier integrating with the group which could just be experience and language, Massengo isn’t quite there yet although quite a few players seemed to talk to him throughout the game particularly Walsh 

That's inevitable I think. He's 18 years old and has grown up in France. Most of the other players are a few years older and are used to English dressing room culture. It'll take him time to fully integrate himself, but they seem like a good group of personalities so i'm sure they'll make him feel welcome. Helps that he has excellent English.

56 minutes ago, Fiale said:

We should new paying 4-3-3 with a midfield of Massengo, Nagy, Brownhill. This would give us as lively defensive midfield, with players good on the ball, who are also capable of a good pass/running into space.

With Semenyo, Palmer and Afobe ahead of them I could see us doing really well.

I can see us evolving to this over time. 

Archived