IGNORED

Massengo

DT The Optimist

1 hour ago, mozo said:

That's what I was thinking, although the same players can fit a 4-2-3-1.

Then Elliasson and Semenyo would come in for Weimann when needed.

That's the sort of system I see us using. Nagy and Massengo deeper, and as Palmer seems like he is getting to grips with the defensive side he could drop back when out of possession , with Eliasson/Brownhill and Semenyo/Wiemann adding a little width and support to Afobe. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How about?

Brownhill Nagy Massengo

Palmer

Weimann  Afobe

4-3-1-2. It means a bit less width and no Eliasson from the off though but if we're looking to play through the thirds etc...all that technical ability in the middle might help compensate for a while for the lack of Webster. Could just as easily pull that into a 4-3-2-1 with Weimann and Palmer both with their directness and movement getting up to and beyond Afobe. Weimann can pull wider too but not so deep wide like the wing that he is a bit wasted.

Could just drop the massively overrated Brownhill and keep our width. 

43 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Well we could, but then I fear teams playing through us reasonably easily- if we don't pack the central areas it's a bit of an uphill struggle at this level- as it would be for most sides incidentally. How would you set up then?

Much easier to create triangles, overloads and condense the space with a central 3.

Regardless, I wouldn't drop Brownhill at this time.

52 minutes ago, J-mat said:

I’m really interested in seeing Brownhill live on Saturday, having been on hols and restricted to tv / streams.  I thought he had a good game with Nagy on Saturday - he was my MOTM at the time - watched a bit if stuff through the week and have changed my mind....but I still think he had a good game, and was more all-action than he has been for a while.

Just watched the clips someone has posted on Twitter of his contributions in the QPR game. Now then, that is quite an exceptional ‘baller. A real gem, destined for the very top - unless our coaching messes him up. 

The other observation how ******* open are we in defence if we lose the ball while in possession in our own half. The Walsh goal an accident waiting to happen! Can you really guarantee a 100% passing accuracy when your often isolated, with no passing options, defensive midfielder is in possession? Any intercept means the opposition attacker has a clear run at goal, with our centre-backs seemingly taking up wide full back positions. 

That game plan should mean we overload midfield and attack, but we’ve got to get the ball up there by fast, crisp, accurate passing and other players making themselves available. Talk, about ‘high risk’ tactics. A lot of responsibility on young heads.

Great if it works mind, and at least we have an identifiable game plan!

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Just watched the clips someone has posted on Twitter of his contributions in the QPR game. Now then, that is quite an exceptional ‘baller. A real gem, destined for the very top - unless our coaching messes him up. 

The other observation how ******* open are we in defence if we lose the ball while in possession in our own half. The Walsh goal an accident waiting to happen! Can you really guarantee a 100% passing accuracy when your often isolated, with no passing options, defensive midfielder is in possession? Any intercept means the opposition attacker has a clear run at goal, with our centre-backs seemingly taking up wide full back positions. 

That game plan should mean we overload midfield and attack, but we’ve got to get the ball up there by fast, crisp, accurate passing and other players making themselves available. Talk, about ‘high risk’ tactics. A lot of responsibility on young heads.

Owers mentioned on the radio that we were splitting the CBs 50-60 yards but no-one was then filtering back into the middle.

11 minutes ago, RedRock said:

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Owers mentioned on the radio that we were splitting the CBs 50-60 yards but no-one was then filtering back into the middle.

Like this ?

CCF61006-B54E-4DB4-9F21-73580887A752.jpeg

340FAFEF-D611-4B69-A301-A6D7E91A47D6.jpeg

20 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Any chance of a link for those of us not in Twitter? 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Seriously though, I’ve not got any coaching badges, and I get the “split”, but once Wright gets it, surely either one midfielder drops, or Moore filters back towards the centre???

Not even a coaching point Dave is it ?

Anybody playing Sunday morning football will realise you can’t be that open

And wtf was Bailey Wright expecting Walsh to do with it with his back to goal , two hunting him down , and no out ball 

Horrendous , and to finish it off Taylor Moore turns his back and shys away from the ball as Wells shoots !

Where do you start in that one goal alone 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not even a coaching point Dave is it ?

Anybody playing Sunday morning football will realise you can’t be that open

And wtf was Bailey Wright expecting Walsh to do with it with his back to goal , two hunting him down , and no out ball 

Horrendous , and to finish it off Taylor Moore turns his back and shys away from the ball as Wells shoots !

Where do you start in that one goal alone 

With Nathan Baker?

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Seriously though, I’ve not got any coaching badges, and I get the “split”, but once Wright gets it, surely either one midfielder drops, or Moore filters back towards the centre???

Neither have I, but our wing-backs must be way up the pitch - which must make finding them with a pass challenging. Probably also makes it easier for the opponents to defend, as the space is tighter. Particularly so, if the opposition push up in their half. 

I’d be bringing the wing-backs closer to the defensive midfielder to give them more passing options and allow the centre backs to be narrower.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Owers talks a good game but he’s never managed a league team and was fired from his non league job .

Easy for him to be critical from the stands .

I like his analysis but he is not the font of all knowledge.

24 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Neither have I, but our wing-backs must be way up the pitch - which must make finding them with a pass challenging. Probably also makes it easier for the opponents to defend, as the space is tighter. Particularly so, if the opposition push up in their half. 

I’d be bringing the wing-backs closer to the defensive midfielder to give them more passing options and allow the centre backs to be narrower.

Music to my ears!!

Having been on this forum a while you may know one of my pet hates is full-backs (but especially wide midfielders / wingers) whose starting positions early in the patterns of play are too high up the pitch.  As you say it’s easier to defend, tightens the angles for the pass, and invariably results in having to start again or clipping hopeful balls into the channels.

16 minutes ago, Leaning To One Side said:

Wow, this kid is special.....not usually one to go overboard but I think we've got a real gem here.  The lad seems to have it all  ?

Very Modric-esque, always on the move

Yes,  similar in style

39 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

That’s crazy - no wonder LJ was hacked off!!!

When the team was announced people were saying it was bold and this is why, three midfielders who wanted to attack and weren’t particularly suited to doing the dirty unglamorous stuff, Messango tbf did more than the other two but it was probably down to poor team selection the gaping holes like this that appeared although things tightened up in the second half 

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Owers talks a good game but he’s never managed a league team and was fired from his non league job .

Easy for him to be critical from the stands .

I like his analysis but he is not the font of all knowledge.

Not sure what his managerial background has to do with it.......he was completely right.

4 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

When the team was announced people were saying it was bold and this is why, three midfielders who wanted to attack and weren’t particularly suited to doing the dirty unglamorous stuff, Messango tbf did more than the other two but it was probably down to poor team selection the gaping holes like this that appeared although things tightened up in the second half 

I agree, the selection was asking for us to get exposed.

44 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thanks for posting these.

He certainly looks a talent - always on the move, very comfortable in possession and great awareness of space, and not afraid to put his foot in.

On the basis of these clips he looks ready to step into our midfield - genuinely can't wait to see him live.

Really don't know how Johnson gets them all into the team though (Massengo, Nagy, Brownhill and Palmer).

I think the best way to get Massengo, Nagy and Brownhill in the team together would be the ol’ 41212 midfield diamond like this -

Nagy

Brownhill Massengo 

Palmer

Weimann Afobe 

Means we can get our three best centre midfielders in and still accommodate Palmer in his best position whilst still playing two up top.

The only negative is the lack of natural width and it’ll be a lot of work for our fullbacks constantly getting up and down the pitch.

I know Johnson used to switch to this formation a lot when we were chasing games but I wouldn’t mind seeing us start a few games with it.

6 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

Thanks for posting these.

He certainly looks a talent - always on the move, very comfortable in possession and great awareness of space, and not afraid to put his foot in.

On the basis of these clips he looks ready to step into our midfield - genuinely can't wait to see him live.

Really don't know how Johnson gets them all into the team though (Massengo, Nagy, Brownhill and Palmer).

Nagy as a shield, Brownhill - Palmer - Massengo, Benik and Antoine up front. Boom.

Walsh looked much closer to the first team squad than I’d thought as well. Midfield suddenly our strongest zone.

Archived