IGNORED

Yet again Celtic show how poor the Scottish league is

sticks 1969

2 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

The lost the the Romanian champions, one of them had to lose. I don't like Celtic or rate them but silly comment really 

Not a silly comment at all. Sticks is quite right - Scottish football is piss poor as their European record shows. 

Whenever they come up against decent European teams they get found out.

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not a silly comment at all. Sticks is quite right - Scottish football is piss poor as their European record shows. 

Like I said I dont rate them but to describe a team as piss poor because they lost to another champion from another country is a silly comment. By that logic everyone other than the champions league winners is piss poor. 

The size of Scotland they actually do very well 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

Cup games bring out these kind of results so I’m not at all surprised. 

46 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

Like I said I dont rate them but to describe a team as piss poor because they lost to another champion from another country is a silly comment. By that logic everyone other than the champions league winners is piss poor. 

Let's get it right Celtic have been piss poor in Europe for years now.

They get knocked out every season by some little minnow 

@Littlesh*t so if they had just lost to the Champions of the League of Wales that would not have been piss poor?

I read earlier that the Celtic squad cost more than all of the teams in the Romanian league, that's where some perspective is needed

Cluj have achieved some half decent results in Europe last 10 years.

That said, UEFA Coefficients for League (for what it's worth!) has Scotland at 19 and Romania at 30- definitely a big fail for Celtic that one. A comparable model for them might be Ajax? Yet one pisses all over the other and especially in the last decade in European football performance- that said Ajax are quite a bit bigger as a club.

47 minutes ago, phantom said:

Let's get it right Celtic have been piss poor in Europe for years now.

They get knocked out every season by some little minnow 

@Littlesh*t so if they had just lost to the Champions of the League of Wales that would not have been piss poor?

I read earlier that the Celtic squad cost more than all of the teams in the Romanian league, that's where some perspective is needed

Cluj are hardly comparable to teams like tns. Club beat man United in 2012 I wouldn't describe them as a piss poor team either 

As a Romanian. I must say it is a disgrace that Steaua is gone and we have to stick with new clubs like this Cluj..but I m proud of them, Dan Petrescu it is a fine coach, and you know him for sure for his time at Chelsea.

I really want my Steaua back...

40 minutes ago, Mihai said:

As a Romanian. I must say it is a disgrace that Steaua is gone and we have to stick with new clubs like this Cluj..but I m proud of them, Dan Petrescu it is a fine coach, and you know him for sure for his time at Chelsea.

I really want my Steaua back...

I hadn't heard of what had happened to Steua before your post.

Shafted by legal proceedings and the parent organisation, now playing under a different name in the 4th tier and on a former training pitch.

For a club who were once champions of Europe, that's astounding.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Scottish clubs record in Europe is poor but I wonder what the record of English clubs would be if they had to navigate the early rounds instead of getting a free bye into the group stages. Let's see if last year's UCL final can be followed up, because since the inception of the PL English clubs record in Europe has been piss poor compared to what it was prior to the PL (11 European trophies Post PL, 22 European trophies in the equivalent period immediately prior to the PL) 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Scottish clubs record in Europe is poor but I wonder what the record of English clubs would be if they had to navigate the early rounds instead of getting a free bye into the group stages. Let's see if last year's UCL final can be followed up, because since the inception of the PL English clubs record in Europe has been piss poor compared to what it was prior to the PL (11 European trophies Post PL, 22 European trophies in the equivalent period immediately prior to the PL) 

Problem with Scottish football is huge difference in TV money between England and Scotland.

Sky in particular have just a passing interest in the SPL outside of the Old firm matches whereas we all know how obsessed Sky are in the PL.

It doesn’t help having two Glasgow giants dominating the SPL with only Aberdeen coming anywhere near them

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

English football would be exactly the same if it was only getting the same money as Scotland. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

European record!!! Aren’t they one of a few British clubs to have won the European Cup. 

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

European record!!! Aren’t they one of a few British clubs to have won the European Cup. 

In recent times it has been pretty poor.

Part of that is down to money, part of that is down to qualifying rounds to be navigated, part of this is down to changing nature of the top European football division- some can buck the trend like Ajax but then their academy is one of the best in the world- perhaps pound for pound the best? Top few anyway and has been for a long long time.

I suppose my question would be, why do Celtic not look to go down the Ajax road, academy and all? Why indeed don't many regular Champions from middling to smaller Leagues for example? Granted not all clubs are big enough but Celtic on paper surely could create a world beating academy, over time?

According to the UEFA coefficient Scotland is the 19th best league in Europe (behind Serbia but ahead of Norway), while the Romanian league is ranked 30th best. 

So a pretty poor result.  Celtic's problem is that their own league is so uncompetitive that they can't step it up when they get to Europe.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

Cluj are hardly comparable to teams like tns. Club beat man United in 2012 I wouldn't describe them as a piss poor team either 

Fair point but one thing nobody can disagree with is Celtic are useless in European football !

Just found out that UEFA are planning to split the Europa League into Europa League and "Europa League 2" (final name not decided), with teams from the weaker leagues being hived off with 7th in the Prem into the latter. They want to give teams from the weaker leagues a chance to go further in Europe. Sounds ideal for Celtic!

33 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Without researching it I say, Aston Villa x1, Liverpool x 5, Man Utd x 3 Aston Villa, Forest x 2, Chelsea x 1

Several other English clubs have reached the semifinals.

No-one can say that about Scottish clubs.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Without researching it I say, Aston Villa x1, Liverpool x 5, Man Utd x 3 Aston Villa, Forest x 2, Chelsea x 1

True........

.............well.......other than Hibs , .......Dundee , .......Dundee United ......and Rangers

Unusual for you to spout a load of inaccurate tosh

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

True........

.............well.......other than Hibs , .......Dundee , .......Dundee United ......and Rangers

Unusual for you to spout a load of inaccurate tosh

I’m trusting your accuracy Bob. So that’s 4, 5 if you include Celtic  scottish clubs that have reached the Champions League semis in either guise.

Just enhances my view that Scottish football is piss poor.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

One Aston Villa. There’s only one Aston Villa. One Aston Villllaaaaa.

Archived