IGNORED

Bailey Wright - let's hope he is not the new undroppable one

old_eastender

Having moved Pack on, who was Mr Undroppable under LJ, let's hope Bailey Wright is not about to assume that mantle.

Poor at Birmingham, with the usual 'rugged' defending giving away a few unnecessary free kicks and consistently giving the ball away with woeful forward passing. 

From what I heard on the radio and from comments from those that saw the game, poor again last night and not just because of the feeble penalty kick. Culpable for their 2nd goal as it's him that passes to Walsh, despite Walsh having 2 QPR players closing him down (Walsh then naively tried to play out and must take most blame). 

Don't doubt Wright gives 100%, but for me he simply is not good enough, much rather see us try to develop Taylor Moore than play Wright.

1 minute ago, Super said:

The problem is neither Moore or Wright are that good and nowhere near the level of Webster. 

Yes but at least there is a hope Moore can get better and I am not sure he is worse than BW at the moment. BW at one time was a solid CB but since the injury and missing the WC he has not been close to the same.

Also why has our captain in our 3 competitive games been the worst player on the pitch? Thought Pack was awful against Leeds and now BW has had two mares in a row. Give the armband to Kalas. Not as vocal but does communicate and leads by example. Been here a year now as well so will have the respect of everyone. 

6 minutes ago, Super said:

The problem is neither Moore or Wright are that good and nowhere near the level of Webster. 

Very few Championship CBs are anywhere near the level of Webster.

Moore will gradually improve the more he plays and who knows, maybe he’ll become the new Webster..............:dunno:

I’ve never rated Wright as footballer let alone a Championship quality defender but LJ obviously rates him particularly as a leader of men. He’s apparently well respected amongst the squad and maybe it’s those qualities that keep him in the team.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Very few Championship CBs are anywhere near the level of Webster.

Moore will gradually improve the more he plays and who knows, maybe he’ll become the new Webster..............:dunno:

The worrying thing with moore is that he has mistakes in him and fails to react like a proper defender. Can he improve this? Who knows.

50 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Having moved Pack on, who was Mr Undroppable under LJ, let's hope Bailey Wright is not about to assume that mantle.

Poor at Birmingham, with the usual 'rugged' defending giving away a few unnecessary free kicks and consistently giving the ball away with woeful forward passing. 

From what I heard on the radio and from comments from those that saw the game, poor again last night and not just because of the feeble penalty kick. Culpable for their 2nd goal as it's him that passes to Walsh, despite Walsh having 2 QPR players closing him down (Walsh then naively tried to play out and must take most blame). 

Don't doubt Wright gives 100%, but for me he simply is not good enough, much rather see us try to develop Taylor Moore than play Wright.

Bog standard grafter with zero class.....'concerns me that he's still here let alone in our starting eleven - and Captain??,,don't start me on that one.

If we have any ambition then players of this ilk should be no longer part of Bristol City's future but part of its past.....surely wev'e moved on from honest but very limited workhorses???

35 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes but at least there is a hope Moore can get better and I am not sure he is worse than BW at the moment. BW at one time was a solid CB but since the injury and missing the WC he has not been close to the same.

Also why has our captain in our 3 competitive games been the worst player on the pitch? Thought Pack was awful against Leeds and now BW has had two mares in a row. Give the armband to Kalas. Not as vocal but does communicate and leads by example. Been here a year now as well so will have the respect of everyone. 

I think it's more that the club have pushed on and expectations have been raised. After seeing Kalas and Webster work so well together, anyone else who isn't at their level will look poor in comparison.

Bailey Wright is fine for lower championship clubs, but I don't think he's good enough to regularly play for a club with promotion aspirations. Johnson obviously trusts him though, so I expect we'll see him fairly regularly unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

The worrying thing with moore is that he has mistakes in him and fails to react like a proper defender. Can he improve this? Who knows.

All defenders have mistakes in them Super and TM is a young guy who’ll learn from mistakes he might make. 

4 minutes ago, Super said:

I personally thought that Moore was good last night. He made some excellent tackles, brought the ball out from the back well and always tried to make things happen. Any young ball playing centre half is going to make mistakes as it is an occupational hazard but I don't think he's done anything to show that he isn't first choice to play alongside Kalas? I know he needs to improve aerially but I'm hoping this will come, particularly now he has more of a physical presence. 

Wright was very poor last night and isn't good enough for what we are trying to be. He's so uncomfortable on the ball and struggles to pass the ball more than 5 yards. Given we were playing with an exceptionally young squad last night, and with a side that lacked cohesion, it was a chance for a leader to stand up and take charge and I was disappointed Wright didn't offer this. Walsh looked like a leader last night although his performance wasn't without flaws. 

Not a criticism @Super but did you go last night or are you basing that on Taylor Moore of old? I only ask because from what I have seen this year, he looks a completely different player. 

47 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If Pack was "undroppable", why isn't he here any more? Just as Paterson was also.

Move two off the biggest wage earners on to accommodate the new signings, lj wanted signing sl sanctioned them under the pretense of balancing the books , i honestly dont think lj wanted pack and pato out , but nobody wanted o'dowda , watkins , adelukan , etc etc etc 

The 2019/20 scapegoat winner was announced this morning with Bailey Wright, the overwhelming favourite picking up this years award. He was 6/4 to win after being booed by his own ‘fans’ in previous seasons.  The Bristol City faithful have not let us down by singling out Wright for abuse and blame. The Australian wins the award ahead of Jack Hunt, Taylor Moore and Famara Diedhiou who all pushed him close. 

Bailey had these words to say when he collected his award: “I would like to thank those fans who have abused me and further dented my confidence. Without them we wouldn’t be where we are now as a club. We would be higher and nobody wants that” 

3 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I personally thought that Moore was good last night. He made some excellent tackles, brought the ball out from the back well and always tried to make things happen. Any young ball playing centre half is going to make mistakes as it is an occupational hazard but I don't think he's done anything to show that he isn't first choice to play alongside Kalas? I know he needs to improve aerially but I'm hoping this will come, particularly now he has more of a physical presence. 

Wright was very poor last night and isn't good enough for what we are trying to be. He's so uncomfortable on the ball and struggles to pass the ball more than 5 yards. Given we were playing with an exceptionally young squad last night, and with a side that lacked cohesion, it was a chance for a leader to stand up and take charge and I was disappointed Wright didn't offer this. Walsh looked like a leader last night although his performance wasn't without flaws. 

Not a criticism @Super but did you go last night or are you basing that on Taylor Moore of old? I only ask because from what I have seen this year, he looks a completely different player. 

No i didnt go last night. I saw the goals on tv and have no idea what he was doing for the 2nd goal tbh. Maybe i am being a bit harsh on the lad. I hope he can improve.

49 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Before I throw BW onto the scrap heap (and that’s not having a go at posters above) let’s just see if it is rustiness having just returned from injury, having been out out for over 2 weeks. 

As it stands my order is:

Kalas

Baker

Moore

Wright

I’m a bit ‘old school’ in believing that the captain of a team - any team - is an important appointment. 

The shock decision, last season of Dean Smith to award the captaincy of Villa to Jack Grealish completely turned their season around. He played with far greater resolve than ever before and almost single-handedly at times, led them to promotion. It was an inspirational appointment. 

Our appointed captain seldom played. Even now he’s not likely to hold down a first team place on merit. Pack wore the armband but never looked to be a natural leader. 

IMO LJ needs to appoint a new captain - someone who is likely to be always on his team sheet and who can inspire the team through his own performance. Brownhill would be a candidate as would Nagy and Kalas but I’d surprise everyone by giving the armband to Palmer. 

I believe that we need to build our team around Kasey. He will be our quarterback - the hub of everything we do. Making him captain will give him the confidence he needs to settle. Yes, he’s young. Yes, it would be a bold decision. But it will inspire Kasey to new heights. 

I suspect that I’ll be in a minority (of one!) in suggesting this but I think that it could be the making of him - and us. 

14 minutes ago, Super said:

No i didnt go last night. I saw the goals on tv and have no idea what he was doing for the 2nd goal tbh. Maybe i am being a bit harsh on the lad. I hope he can improve.

He was streaks ahead of Wright last night, a great last ditch block at one point and very willing to bring the ball out from the back intelligently (and a very decent penalty) - just needs some games to settle into the team. Wright looked awkward with the ball and seemed to only pass sideways/back to Hunt, Moore or Bentley (other than that pass to Walsh...)

Unfortunately he’s one of 4 senior centre backs at the club. He’s going to have to play games. 

I’d like to see us stick with one system at the back (ie either play with a back 4 or don’t). For me it’s a back 4 and Kalas and Moore should be the first choice pair. Play them both whenever able and let them gel into a partnership, don’t change the system and personnel every game to something different. 

6 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Wright is simply not good enough never has been never will be, don’t even like to  see him on the bench bringing him on fills me with dread, as his “rugged” style of defending is costly. 

Bloody hell. Calm down. He isn’t that bad!!! 

Just has no confidence currently. 

Pack was only undroppable in the absence of Korey Smith. He was undroppable because there was literally no one else there to do what he did.

This isn't the case with Wright. There is competition there and I think @Davefevs has correctly stated what should be the current pecking order at the club.

Having now watched the penalties from last night, I wonder why on earth Bailey was given one. His whole body language seemed to suggest he didn't want to take it, he'd had a stinker of a game and has absolutely no goal scoring pedigree. 

33 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I’m a bit ‘old school’ in believing that the captain of a team - any team - is an important appointment. 

The shock decision, last season of Dean Smith to award the captaincy of Villa to Jack Grealish completely turned their season around. He played with far greater resolve than ever before and almost single-handedly at times, led them to promotion. It was an inspirational appointment. 

Our appointed captain seldom played. Even now he’s not likely to hold down a first team place on merit. Pack wore the armband but never looked to be a natural leader. 

IMO LJ needs to appoint a new captain - someone who is likely to be always on his team sheet and who can inspire the team through his own performance. Brownhill would be a candidate as would Nagy and Kalas but I’d surprise everyone by giving the armband to Palmer. 

I believe that we need to build our team around Kasey. He will be our quarterback - the hub of everything we do. Making him captain will give him the confidence he needs to settle. Yes, he’s young. Yes, it would be a bold decision. But it will inspire Kasey to new heights. 

I suspect that I’ll be in a minority (of one!) in suggesting this but I think that it could be the making of him - and us. 

That's an interesting thought. Would send a clear signal regarding the aspirations of the club and the football we could expect to see Bristol City playing.

He does have his strengths though, he is more than capable against more physical forwards, he handled Jutkiewicz reasonably well on Sat, I would argue that he is probably best in the club in that role. I would agree that his distribution is not great, but with a few playmakers and linking midfielders playing in front of him now, that requirement for him to ping a 40 yd cross field ball is not that important.

If we play 3 at the back, then I'd play him based on our current squad, if 4 at the back, then he's cover for Kalas.

Archived