IGNORED

Bailey Wright - let's hope he is not the new undroppable one

old_eastender

Think Wright can get some unfair flak but he's IMO one of those who has to be deployed in specific roles/circs or not at all. A bit like Paterson pre loan move at '10', he should either be deployed as cover in a compact shape, perhaps nominal RB in our 4 CBs shape from 2017/18 when we had the 4-4-1-1 or maybe in a back 3 and vs sides with some physicality. Not a first choice but alright as a squad player in the right shapes etc.

Or let’s hope he’s not the new scapegoat. Some people like to have one player they blame for everything each season. Last night wasn’t down to Bailey Wright, Diedhiou missed a sitter in normal time, the ref made a shocking decision awarding them a penalty in normal time & 2 city players missed penalties before Wright took his. 

I usually quite like Wright but even I'll admit he was pretty poor last night.  He had to be covered by Taylor Moore 2 or 3 times (who I thought was very good again).  If you didn't know and had to say which of the two was the seasoned pro you'd certainly think it was Moore.

With all the nonsense about moving forward and upgrading, maybe we should be a tad worried that the defence looks very leaky, and the midfield very suspect defensively. The two (3 if you include Palmer) so-called upgrades are new to English football and have not played that many games in other leagues over the past two years. Pack might not have the skill and vision going forward, but as a Championship defensive midfielder, he was pretty good over 46 games, particularly away from home.

We can have all the class and creativity we like, but if we leak 2/3 goals per game, we aren’t going to get too many points.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

With all the nonsense about moving forward and upgrading, maybe we should be a tad worried that the defence looks very leaky, and the midfield very suspect defensively. The two (3 if you include Palmer) so-called upgrades are new to English football and have not played that many games in other leagues over the past two years. Pack might not have the skill and vision going forward, but as a Championship defensive midfielder, he was pretty good over 46 games, particularly away from home.

We can have all the class and creativity we like, but if we leak 2/3 goals per game, we aren’t going to get too many points.

Nagy looks defensively superb. 

Bailey Wright was brilliant during the first 6 months of the 17/18 season, like much of the team.

We slumped after that, but bailey wrights never really recovered. His confidence is shot. Think he is a good player but needs a move and a fresh start. We cant carry him

3 minutes ago, Chappers said:

With all the nonsense about moving forward and upgrading, maybe we should be a tad worried that the defence looks very leaky, and the midfield very suspect defensively. The two so-called upgrades are new to English football and have not played that many games in other leagues over the past two years. Pack might not have the skill and vision going forward, but as a Championship defensive midfielder, he was pretty good over 46 games, particularly away from home.

You not seen Nagy play?

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I’m a bit ‘old school’ in believing that the captain of a team - any team - is an important appointment. 

The shock decision, last season of Dean Smith to award the captaincy of Villa to Jack Grealish completely turned their season around. He played with far greater resolve than ever before and almost single-handedly at times, led them to promotion. It was an inspirational appointment. 

Our appointed captain seldom played. Even now he’s not likely to hold down a first team place on merit. Pack wore the armband but never looked to be a natural leader. 

IMO LJ needs to appoint a new captain - someone who is likely to be always on his team sheet and who can inspire the team through his own performance. Brownhill would be a candidate as would Nagy and Kalas but I’d surprise everyone by giving the armband to Palmer. 

I believe that we need to build our team around Kasey. He will be our quarterback - the hub of everything we do. Making him captain will give him the confidence he needs to settle. Yes, he’s young. Yes, it would be a bold decision. But it will inspire Kasey to new heights. 

I suspect that I’ll be in a minority (of one!) in suggesting this but I think that it could be the making of him - and us. 

I actually think that is an excellent idea Rudolph...

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I’m a bit ‘old school’ in believing that the captain of a team - any team - is an important appointment.

[...]I’d surprise everyone by giving the armband to Palmer. 

I believe that we need to build our team around Kasey. He will be our quarterback - the hub of everything we do. Making him captain will give him the confidence he needs to settle. Yes, he’s young. Yes, it would be a bold decision. But it will inspire Kasey to new heights. 

I suspect that I’ll be in a minority (of one!) in suggesting this but I think that it could be the making of him - and us. 

He is one of our most physical players.  He would find himself most matches representing himself to the ref as to why he should not get sent off.  He is also not a sure thing for ninety minutes yet.  Maybe after Christmas once the squad has settled down and Palmer is match fit.

As the squad barely recognise each other at the moment and some of the established players players have injury/form problems, choosing the captain is not easy.

18 minutes ago, Chappers said:

How many goals did we concede last season to Pack losing the ball either through a misplaced pass or not being quick enough to distribute and then not having the pace to get back and cover? Nagy did an excellent job on Sat and I think he more than looks the part, he keeps things simple and moving.

Is it just me that thinks Wright has generally been solid for us? Lacks pace and not good on ball. But as a no nonsense defender he has done well. And actually did a decent job when covering at right back too.

I know I’m getting flak, and yes I saw Nagy play on Saturday. The whole optimism thing means that nobody want to look at the fact that we don’t look as good defensively, and are putting a lot of faith in young players who have not played a lot of games over the past 2 years. Time will tell, but the warning signs are definitely there. 

I thought Taylor Moore was really good again last night like others have said. He for me should be Kalas partner going forward. Yes he will get found out on occasions but he is still a young lad who will only get better and is starting to show some of the promise he had when he arrived in BS3.

Wright is a very capable defender and will guarantee you hard work, blocks and tackles all game.

But the lack of ability playing out from the back is genuinely having a detrimental effect on the team. Moore isn’t nearly as good as Webster but we need him in the side alongside Kalas for me. His extra bit of pace and technique when passing out from the back is worth the risk of inexperience at this level.  

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Bloody hell. Calm down. He isn’t that bad!!! 

Just has no confidence currently. 

Wtf are you on about - Bailey Wright must be singled out, scapegoated, undermined, booed, jeered, slaughtered, sledged, remorselessly,  psychologically dismantled and shred of any morsel of confidence until he is incapable of tying up his boots. Or even driving to Ashton Gate. Or getting out of his festering Aussie bed in the morning. 

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Is it just me that thinks Wright has generally been solid for us? Lacks pace and not good on ball. But as a no nonsense defender he has done well. And actually did a decent job when covering at right back too.

Yeah he's generally reliable but unspectacular. Now Webster has gone, he was always going to look a bit worse than he is. As he's reasonably versatile and reliable, useful to have around the squad - but I don't think he's good enough to be regularly starting if we've got aspirations of top 6. Seems like a good influence to have in the dressing room too. Can understand why LJ likes him.

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Wtf are you on about - Bailey Wright must be singled out, scapegoated, undermined, booed, jeered, slaughtered, sledged, remorselessly,  psychologically dismantled and shred of any morsel of confidence until he is incapable of tying up his boots. Or even driving to Ashton Gate. Or getting out of his festering Aussie bed in the morning. 

Bet the bastard cheats at cricket too.

At the end of the day it was a cup game with a chance for some of the fringe players to make their mark, i'm sure it would have given LJ food for thought on a lot of them, not just Bailey Wright. 

He's a utility man, an experienced pro and a useful player to have in the squad but whether his best playing days are behind him is debatable.

But IMO. giving someone the role of Captain is a much bigger decision than just what happens on the pitch. We know he isn't going to be starting many games, so the armband will be going to someone else in the 11 anyway. As far as I know he is a well liked and respected member of the squad, having him as 'Club Captain' is no negative thing if his leadership/management/mentoring skills are above that of everyone else. Let's not forget, 90 minutes on a Saturday is a very small percentage of the influence he will have around the Club.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Perhaps those after him didn't want to step up and he took the responsibility

Yes. I was surprised that Nagy didn't take one. Of course, if he had , and scored, Wright's urn would have come round eventually.

About the captain taking responsibility, I recall Sean Dyche doing that for Chesterfield and whacking in the winner (?) in their great cup run. I reckon Dyche and Wright are not too different as players - I doubt he would be highly regarded today.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Before I throw BW onto the scrap heap (and that’s not having a go at posters above) let’s just see if it is rustiness having just returned from injury, having been out out for over 2 weeks. 

As it stands my order is:

Kalas

Baker

Moore

Wright

My order as well. Don’t mind him in and around the squad but it bothers me our 4th choice CB is club captain. Honestly think it needs to be addressed. 

Let’s not forget that Wright was one of the reasons we stayed up the first season he was here. Also he filled in at right back and got an injury which cost him his World Cup place. What is it with some on OTIB who have to have a player to slaughter. Some of the comments are frankly embarrassing. 

Archived