IGNORED

Best Ever City Free Kicks

redordead1

One I remember very well was Jimmy Mann against Argyle on a Tuesday. My brother had come up from Plymouth and we were in the Old East End. Free kick 35 yards out, I turned to my brother and said “They haven’t put up a wall”, he said “It’s a long way out”. My reply of “But it’s Jimmy Mann” was followed by us almost celebrating before the ball even hit the net. :)

43 minutes ago, TBW said:

Mickey Bell scoring two replicas of one another in the same game. Absolute consistency. 

or

The Tinnion indirect chipped from a teammate, volley.

Vs Plymouth those mickey bell ones I believe.. in the cup? (Remember when Plymouth used to be a consistent second tier team??) very wet as I recall and they were filming casualty during the game down by the dolman/east end

24 minutes ago, Offside said:

Alan Walsh scored a good one in the 1980s (home to Blackpool I think) - a ferocious strike that swerved around the defensive wall. Keeper didn’t even move.

Beat me to it!  Another Walsh! It was a time when we were always fairly confident that any free kick within 10 yards of the box would end up in the net. I remember one (West Ham?) when he hit the ball with such ferocity that it practically took the keeper into the net with it

2 hours ago, Offside said:

Alan Walsh scored a good one in the 1980s (home to Blackpool I think) - a ferocious strike that swerved around the defensive wall. Keeper didn’t even move.

I recall that one also, about 35 yards out and he smashed it but with so much curl that the keeper just stood there and watched it go in. Also saw Jimmy Mann score a few beauties also 

Don't get me wrong the free kick was beautifully struck. But, for me personally it's a goal keeping error, as with every other keeper who gets beat where the wall isn't (sometimes like Messi v Liverpool the wall is the wrong side but that's another story) 

As a keeper, you have one job. Do not get beat on your side of the goal.  He failed that most basic task. 

Screenshot_20190814_161701.thumb.jpg.3eee4eb1c462f4604c8cf4d74c8a1e60.jpg

Archived