IGNORED

Best Ever City Free Kicks

redordead1

10 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I recall that one also, about 35 yards out and he smashed it but with so much curl that the keeper just stood there and watched it go in. Also saw Jimmy Mann score a few beauties also 

2 hours ago, Offside said:

Alan Walsh scored a good one in the 1980s (home to Blackpool I think) - a ferocious strike that swerved around the defensive wall. Keeper didn’t even move.

also came across some of his Bestikas goals , which I’d never seen before .

This one not too dissimilar to the Blackpool one 

I know we're all supposed to hate Tomlin, but who were we playing when he took that amazing free kick from just outside the box which seemed to climb vertically over their wall and then plummet just as steeply to beat the goalie?

I think this was when he was still on loan/trying for us.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I know we're all supposed to hate Tomlin, but who were we playing when he took that amazing free kick from just outside the box which seemed to climb vertically over their wall and then plummet just as steeply to beat the goalie?

I think this was when he was still on loan/trying for us.

Fulham away? 

58 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Best free kick I've seen on a New Years day with a shity hangover. Remember the grief the french keeper got as he walked down the tunnel in front of the Atyeo.

Lionel Perez. There's a name I thought I'd completely forgotten until I saw this clip! 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Didn't Tomlin score an excellent one vs Aston Villa @Red-Robbo ?

That's the one I remember. He was so close to the edge of the box that it must've very tough to bring the ball down without hitting the woodwork, let alone having to beat the keeper. A real beaut. 

34 minutes ago, Robson said:

I was thinking of the 2-1 win, Tomlin scored a free kick in the last minute. 2016?

Another cracker, though sadly I wasn't there to witness that. Almost identical flight in the air to the shot Mr P mentioned.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's the one I remember. He was so close to the edge of the box that it must've very tough to bring the ball down without hitting the woodwork, let alone having to beat the keeper. A real beaut. 

Another cracker, though sadly I wasn't there to witness that. Almost identical flight in the air to the shot Mr P mentioned.

He (Tomlin) started that season pretty productively- as well as the flair he generally ticked along quite well in terms of goals and assists- end product basically. Shame didn't last as when he was on it he was very good! First 3 months had a good return...took a quick look and 3 goals 5 assists after 1/3 of League season!

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He (Tomlin) started that season pretty productively- as well as the flair he generally ticked along quite well in terms of goals and assists- end product basically. Shame didn't last as when he was on it he was very good! First 3 months had a good return...

I think it's all attitude with that bloke. His behaviour and temperament has meant a very gifted footballer hasn't made the most of his talents.

Biff Newman scored a thunderbolt at home against Chester, the mid week game after beating Chelsea 3-1 in the FA cup.

Absolutely hammered down and I think it was a  1-0 win, may be wrong but I think that was the heavy rain that 'waterlogged' Trumpton when we were supposed to play there on the following weekend.

Watch from 28 minutes......

1 minute ago, cider hoss rules said:

Biff Newman scored a thunderbolt at home against Chester, the mid week game after beating Chelsea 3-1 in the FA cup.

Absolutely hammered down and I think it was a  1-0 win, may be wrong but I think that was the heavy rain that 'waterlogged' Trumpton when we were supposed to play there on the following weekend.

I’d forgotten that one - thunderbolt is a good description. Unstoppable. 

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

One I remember very well was Jimmy Mann against Argyle on a Tuesday. My brother had come up from Plymouth and we were in the Old East End. Free kick 35 yards out, I turned to my brother and said “They haven’t put up a wall”, he said “It’s a long way out”. My reply of “But it’s Jimmy Mann” was followed by us almost celebrating before the ball even hit the net. :)

Jimmy Mann v Forest at AG past Peter Shilton.....40 yarder in my head???

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So in my head it was a free-kick and 40 yards.  Probably wrong on both counts....doh! ?

It was 40 yards but not a free kick, Cloughie criticised Shilton saying that no decent goalkeeper should be beaten from that distance. 

I found the game I was referring to, it was Bristol City 3 Plymouth Argyle 2, 22 September 1981 (God I feel old) 

Just before my time watching City started; In the 60's Chris Crowe was renowned for his long range shooting; presumably he must have hit some spectacular free kicks.

Looking at the history books, I read Ivor Guy scored at Ninian Park for City. He was 72 yards out (yes, the edge of City's own penalty area) and the ball did not bounce. Any old 'uns still with us who can say if he was trusted with long range free kicks?

36 minutes ago, 22A said:

Just before my time watching City started; In the 60's Chris Crowe was renowned for his long range shooting; presumably he must have hit some spectacular free kicks.

Looking at the history books, I read Ivor Guy scored at Ninian Park for City. He was 72 yards out (yes, the edge of City's own penalty area) and the ball did not bounce. Any old 'uns still with us who can say if he was trusted with long range free kicks?

Remember Chris Crowe. Alongside Jonny Quigley and Bobby Kellard were players I loved watching as a kid.

As for Ivor Guy before my time, but would think it was nigh on impossible to score from that distance with the old leather ball.

Never bounced? Of coarse if there was a 90 mile an hour wind behind him who knows?  The fact he scored 2 goals in 400 games you would imagine he scored that goal with a clearance!!!!!

Darren Barnard V Millwall always sticks out for me, i just found footage of it and its not quite as good as i remember. not seen it for over 20 years so being replayed over in my mind it must have got slightly better each time

scroll to 1:22:10 on this video

19 hours ago, Red Homer said:

It was disallowed, but Tinman's free kick against Charlton in the FA Cup tie (1994) was sublime.

Didn’t he score another fk in that game? 

Archived