IGNORED

U-23’s today

WesM

Went to watch the development squad today. 

Nobody really stood out in a poor first half where city struggled to cope with the forest high, energetic press. Our intention to play from the back was clear and nearly cost us a goal on more than one occasion.

Gregor McGregor tweeted he thought Johnny Smith had a good game, however I thought he was god awful first half and only mildly better in the second. All about opinions eh? I thought all the first team fringe players looked totally disinterested first half. Bakinson, Hinds, and  Adelakun all looked like they didn’t want to be there.

After an obvious rollicking at half-time, things improved slightly. Bakinson got on the ball a lot more and pulled the strings nicely, Hinds looked sharper and Smith got himself involved a lot more. The stand-out player for me was Aden Baldwin. Confident on the ball, plays out from defence, talker, organiser, leader, physical presence, I thought he looked decent against a lively organised forest side.

Notable attendees in the crowd:

Alan Walsh

Mark Cooper

Graham Coughlan and two other tracksuited Gas who I couldn’t identify

Pat Mountain

Jamie Mac

Jerry Gill

Danny Coles

David Johnson, watching his son Brennan who looked decent, scored twice.

Saikou Janneh

Antoine Semenyo, probably other young uns just didn’t recognise their faces.

There was a big guy with Jamie Mac, but couldn’t identify him.

Tough game for our lads today.

26 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Was the big guy Cissè?

Actually....it was. 

Didnt make the connection but having looked him up to check, it was him.

Fully tracksuited. Looks more athletic now than when he played!

1 hour ago, Im_over_ere said:

So does anyone know where Sesay, the upcoming goalie is?

I thought I read a while ago that he was developing well, but with all the latest news about first team, second team, loaned goalies I seen nothing written about him

4 minutes ago, WesM said:

Ta....little David Johnson.  Forgotten about him.

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Blimey Dave - that would be his grandson !

I was thinking the ex Bury & Ipswich David Johnson , with the funky dreads

He’s only 67. ?

6 hours ago, phantom said:

I thought the U23's were playing all their games at Weston this season?

I thought they were too. Maybe the pitch was suffering from all the recent rain and this was a one off?

What concerns me is how the players in this match and at QPR are said to be uninterested or not wanting to do the ‘donkey work’. They don’t seem to be working as a team. Yes I know it’s early days but we don’t usually get these sort of comments even with a load of new signings to bed in. Something doesn’t seem right or happy at the moment. Hopefully a win on Saturday will lift the spirits for all

7 hours ago, phantom said:

I thought the U23's were playing all their games at Weston this season?

So did I.

was told later that they have to play a certain number of games at Ashton Gate, don’t know if that is true? We could ask the SLO?

Really surprised that this wasn’t advertised more with the kids off school.

The crowd was sparse, perhaps the players would appreciate playing in front of more fans?

• Admin

Just spoke to someone at at Weston,  they didn't want to comment about the forest game. But first game to be played at Weston will be Monday 30th September against colchester.

There are expected to be eight games played at Weston 

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

WesM.

Thanks for your comment on Aden Baldwin. He would appear to be the strongest option from those Academy players not already in the first team squad or out on loan.

Although history would forecast that LJ would rather shuffle the pack that give an opportunity to one like Baldwin.

Would it?

7 hours ago, Countryfile said:

So did I.

was told later that they have to play a certain number of games at Ashton Gate, don’t know if that is true? We could ask the SLO?

Really surprised that this wasn’t advertised more with the kids off school.

The crowd was sparse, perhaps the players would appreciate playing in front of more fans?

There was an article on the club website about it being at Ashton Gate and all 23's games are on their fixture list on the site as well, you can see the venue for each game. Given the day before was game day for the 1st team the social media guys were probably pretty busy.

Archived