IGNORED

The Nketiah Deal - behind the scenes (long article)

redordead1

@RedDave I subscribed to The Athletic a couple of weeks ago and it is excellent. The premise of it is that you generally have one reporter covering each club in the Premier League and about 5 Championship clubs are followed. City aren't one of them but they do have some excellent articles on wider football and have recruited some of the best football journalists in the industry. A few excellent pieces this week, include Michael Cox analysing the new goal kick rule and how clubs have approach it from a tactical angle, a piece from Rafa explaining why he couldn't stay on at Newcastle and also a excellent article on Emiliano Sala where they flew out to Argentina to meet his family and friends. 

If you're into American sports such as NFL you also get all of their coverage too which is a bonus. And no, I'm not on commission! 

The article doesn’t really explain what work we did prior to Leeds appearing on the scene. Pretty sure we’d have done more than just ‘express an interest’. 

At the end of the day if he doesn’t want to be here, and Arsenal don’t want him here, then it’s best he isn’t. I doubt we’ll have much faith or trust in Arsenal going forward though.

And a bit of me still hopes that his time at Leeds all ends up going a bit Ryan Kent. 

Gary to Lee " sit down son, your Mum's got the tea ready"

Lee " thanks Dad- what is it?"

Gary: "Mum's made your favourite,Steak and Ale pie"

Lee:" Yummy"

Gary " any chance of Lemonheigh Evans and Edwards?" 

Lee " Sure thing, Dad"

Gary "thanks, son, you're a good lad - pass the salt"

Arsenal couldn't arrange a decent loan transaction if their life depended on it

4 hours ago, intercity said:

It's quite ironic how it is being heralded as super-professional when a) Arsenal's treatment of the other clubs and b) this personal connection that may have won it for Leeds have little to do with professionalism whatsoever.

The article does a good job of dressing it up. Fortunately plenty of other clubs to do business with.

Well said - and others on the thread have said the same - what a load of ****. Interesting story but a complete PR exercise for Leeds that spins an impossible story.

I assume this is Phil Hay the ex Leeds local evening paper journo, who left to join this new platform (Leeds are one of only two clubs outside the Prem that are covered). He always writes to keep the Leeds fans happy, and we know how emotional they all are - last season he was writing pieces for them about Steve Lansdown and about sock-gate. 

Well written, but implying City arrange medicals out of pure hope is another of his re-writes of history designed to give the Leeds fans something to crow about at our expense. Not to mention the sheer fantasy of casting them as the only team to make a detailed presentation or Arsenal being uniquely detailed yet letting Leeds wade in on the last day.

No doubt this sort of journalism will have the Leeds fans masturbating furiously and signing up  to "The Athletic" in their droves. Never understood the arrogance of fans who need to regularly read how important they are. Doesn't really seem like the point of journalism to me - but I guess it's good for subscriptions that 'Leeds would have taken more'. 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

This. The article is a load of hot air imo. 

We had the deal done, had worked meticulously all summer to tick all of Arsenal’s boxes, then at the last minute, Arsenal's mate from Leeds piped up and they did the dirty on us. 

And what was with Eddies “shhh” celebration about after is goal against Salford. SALFORD FFS! Jumped up little *****!  

A little bitter then?   I can't blame Arsenal for wanting whats best for a young player who will probably end up as one of the best strikers around?   We had no divine right to get him, but i would have loved to hear LJ's pitch, I imagine it would have  been a great listen, and although we didn;t get him, we have established a connection with Arsenal for any possible loans down the line, which despite your own view on Arsenal, I think their a great  club.   Whatever happened Nketiah would have been here one season, then gone, so personally i would rather have a player who we had a chance of keeping, and in the meantime keep developing Sememyo for the future. Leeds will never be able to buy him even if they win the league, so I'm really not bothered........I'd rather watch our very own Sideshow Bob!!

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Only with less than a week of the window left did Leeds become interested due to the sale of Roofe. Up until then I still believe he was heading our way, despite the interest from Fortuna.

As for how big a part the pitch played in securing Nketiah's services, let's see how much he plays at Leeds. Still think he would get more game time here this season than at Leeds.

The sale of Roofe was clearly an option throughout the summer, so Leeds would have needed an option to replace him. It seems very unlikely their interest in Nketiah popped up out of nowhere with days to go. Like us, they would have had him on a list of possibles in case of need. Their need just crystallised a bit later, I guess. I just don’t buy all the bitterness about being gazumped.

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Only with less than a week of the window left did Leeds become interested due to the sale of Roofe. Up until then I still believe he was heading our way, despite the interest from Fortuna.

As for how big a part the pitch played in securing Nketiah's services, let's see how much he plays at Leeds. Still think he would get more game time here this season than at Leeds.

For such an in depth analysis  and match/ training presentation I  find it hard to believe that Leeds could have put this together in a week. Was this always the plan if Roofe was sold? Also would Leeds been privy to all the knowledge of the player without insider help?

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The sale of Roofe was clearly an option throughout the summer, so Leeds would have needed an option to replace him. It seems very unlikely their interest in Nketiah popped up out of nowhere with days to go. Like us, they would have had him on a list of possibles in case of need. Their need just crystallised a bit later, I guess. I just don’t buy all the bitterness about being gazumped.

I'm not suggesting it "popped up out of nowhere", but it came very, very late in the day. I don't think we should be bitter about missing out on Nketiah, it's just incredibly frustrating given how long we spent building a relationship with Arsenal and pursuing the player. Particularly if he struggles to get gametime at Leeds which is entirely possible imo.

5 minutes ago, Midred said:

For such an in depth analysis  and match/ training presentation I  find it hard to believe that Leeds could have put this together in a week. Was this always the plan if Roofe was sold? Also would Leeds been privy to all the knowledge of the player without insider help?

Leeds would have had easy access to all the stats on Nketiah. He is a well-known player, we're not talking about plucking some unknown from the Conference South. Clubs invest in databases that give them stats from nearly every top league across Europe. 

Makes me laugh really, I think the whole presentation element is  aload of BS. Fair enough for being more detailed but at the end of the day the player will choose where he wants to go which is usually the bigger club (pains me to say).

Feel bad for LJ as he's clearly been messed around and the fact he did the pitch himself should've been a big factor in the decision IMO. I also can't see LJ and this setup losing on these presentations which makes me go back to the point their minds are probably already made up.

3 minutes ago, O'Garlandinho said:

Makes me laugh really, I think the whole presentation element is  aload of BS. Fair enough for being more detailed but at the end of the day the player will choose where he wants to go which is usually the bigger club (pains me to say).

Feel bad for LJ as he's clearly been messed around and the fact he did the pitch himself should've been a big factor in the decision IMO. I also can't see LJ and this setup losing on these presentations which makes me go back to the fact their minds are probably already made up.

Maybe Leeds couldn’t spring for the rail fare for the translator for Saint Bielsa who seemingly still hasn’t bothered to learn any English! 

48 minutes ago, maxjak said:

A little bitter then?   I can't blame Arsenal for wanting whats best for a young player who will probably end up as one of the best strikers around?   We had no divine right to get him, but i would have loved to hear LJ's pitch, I imagine it would have  been a great listen, and although we didn;t get him, we have established a connection with Arsenal for any possible loans down the line, which despite your own view on Arsenal, I think their a great  club.   Whatever happened Nketiah would have been here one season, then gone, so personally i would rather have a player who we had a chance of keeping, and in the meantime keep developing Sememyo for the future. Leeds will never be able to buy him even if they win the league, so I'm really not bothered........I'd rather watch our very own Sideshow Bob!!

Whether Nketiah proved to be a great signing for us, the main negative for me was there would’ve been no option to buy. The Andy Cole 2.0 was a lovely thought, but always tinged with we are losing an opportunity to get our own player. 

We finally got one on loan with option to buy in Afobe. I’m happy with this. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Whether Nketiah proved to be a great signing for us, the main negative for me was there would’ve been no option to buy. The Andy Cole 2.0 was a lovely thought, but always tinged with we are losing an opportunity to get our own player. 

We finally got one on loan with option to buy in Afobe. I’m happy with this. 

All those years ago I actually had a letter published in the Green Un stating............We must sign Andy Cole, because one day he will play for England, and will end up playing for Man U or Liverpool, we mustn't miss the chance to sign him!  First and only time I have been right about anything connected with transfers!

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Totally agree...and if I remember rightly many took the piss for LJ showing power point presentation at the time.

It's the norm, and has been a while now.

Young players engage more with presentation and apps, rather than old coaching methods. They want to express themselves...but find it difficult sometimes to open up vocally and often need a crutch to do so.

Even my love of good old fashioned Subbuteo has been introduced into the England changing room.

The Coaches found the tactile approach encouraged players to express themselves more vocally and interact by moving the figures around showing moves.

I digress...but football has moved on so much, and so has the way people think and interact. It's the Coaches that realise this that progress imo.

I realise you know all this mate...just openly chatting ?

Is that to show them they need a kick up the arse? 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm not suggesting it "popped up out of nowhere", but it came very, very late in the day. I don't think we should be bitter about missing out on Nketiah, it's just incredibly frustrating given how long we spent building a relationship with Arsenal and pursuing the player. Particularly if he struggles to get gametime at Leeds which is entirely possible imo.

Leeds would have had easy access to all the stats on Nketiah. He is a well-known player, we're not talking about plucking some unknown from the Conference South. Clubs invest in databases that give them stats from nearly every top league across Europe. 

And this is why the Transfer system has to change imo.

I've said it recently on other posts, but transfers are happening later and later.

The whole process goes against how the authorities want Clubs to run.

In a planned methodical manner, within the planned financial structure the Club has budgeted for.

Making plans for player and finance.

Then boom...all that planning goes to pot, as it all goes mental in the last few days....encouraging panic and over spending.

Polar opposites to what's being asked.

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

They're actively trying to put local newspapers out of business. I would encourage anyone who finds an article worth reading on there to share it on here so that people don't have to give them any money for subscriptions. 

Honestly this is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on here. 

7 hours ago, Orbital said:

Love your optimism, Reggie, but I’ll wager a tenner that Nketia is higher in the scoring charts at the end of the season. Having said that, I like Afobe and, given good service,  he could well be a 15-20 goal man by the end of the season - if we give him the service and he gets his mojo back.

Well that would undoubtedly be because Leeds are a stronger team then us.

Afobe has been proven at this level, and his first game was very encouraging. I certainly aint disappointed. Although I do hope Nketiah flops and is a sub for most of the season. Wishful thinking probably. 

28 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Show your workings.

You think a company actively seeking to put local newspapers out of business is a good thing, I take it?

Well Professor..

1. When you make comments like 'actively seeking to put local newspapers out of business', it's probably you that needs to show your workings. Or just some evidence. Or do you mean 'they are trying to write better stories about local teams' - which is a different thing now, isn't it. That would be the market working to put local newspapers out of business.

2. If you need me to show my workings for why it is dumb to argue  'everything they write that is so good that we'd all want to read it we should all post on here rather than paying for and then they will go out of business and won't be able to write any more articles that we all want to read' then perhaps you're not the kind of person that needs workings as much as you seem to think you are.

Maybe ask yourself why our local newspaper has done an entire story on The Athletic article rather than coming up with The Athletic's article by itself. 

8 hours ago, spudski said:

And this is why the Transfer system has to change imo.

I've said it recently on other posts, but transfers are happening later and later.

The whole process goes against how the authorities want Clubs to run.

In a planned methodical manner, within the planned financial structure the Club has budgeted for.

Making plans for player and finance.

Then boom...all that planning goes to pot, as it all goes mental in the last few days....encouraging panic and over spending.

Polar opposites to what's being asked.

Agreed. 

From how understood the Nketiah saga had broken down, LJ had done all his presentations and fee agreements well before Leeds were involved. We were assured that we were going to be the recipient of the player, but that the decision was resting with Emery as to whether he wanted to keep him for the 1st team. If he was to be loaned, he was ours.

Leeds’ involvement was well after we’d already had this agreement. 

Basically, Arsenal went back on their gentleman’s agreement with us. It was all agreed, just pending Emery’s authorisation for him to go. 

Then Leeds lost Roofe, came in, did their pitch and Emery’s old mate got the job. 

Arsenal have acted FAR from professionally in this matter. Quite the opposite of what this article is attempting to portray. 

It’s a bullcrap article, designed to make Arsenal and Leeds both look super professional. Truth is Arsenal reneged on a promise and Leeds got him on a mates favour. That’s fine - not bitter. But just be honest about it. 

I think LJ and MA are super-pissed at Arsenal and I’d be surprised if we deal with them again. 

14 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I love how everyone keeps saying that Nketiah is the new Ian Wright. It begs the question: would they be saying that if he was white? 

Who has been saying this?

White?  With a really big fuzzy hairdo?  

They’d be calling him Alan Sunderland ???

Archived