Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Lympsham Red

Dasilva injury

5 weeks to 5 months, that's some difference!

Martin Olsson still available on a free, perhaps one we should seriously look at now?

Hunt/Pereira could play left back, I think that's our best option if Rowe gets injured/suspended. 

Edited by Carey 6

We're just going to have to get through until January. Tommy Rowe will clearly be first choice but there may be options in the free agency market. Dependant on the terms of his loan bringing Cam Pring back may be an option in January too. 

On second thoughts, perhaps it commits us to 3 at the back for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Terrible luck. 

God forbid Rowe gets suspended/injured

With the way things are going would you bet against it?

Damned, so from Bryan/Kelly to Kelly/DaSilva to Rowe/?     this is not promising for what has started as a somewhat shaky defence so far this season.

• Like 1

Rowe now gonna play a hell of a lot more games than I bet he thought he would! Fwiw he’s beaten J’s goal tally from last season already... 

After the Nketiah saga and now Dasilva’s injury, I can’t help but feel the following gif is apt for our season:

awkward the simpsons GIF

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

5 weeks to 5 months, that's some difference!

Martin Olsson still available on a free, perhaps one we should seriously look at now?

Hunt/Pereira could play left back, I think that's our best option if Rowe gets injured/suspended. 

I know injuries are part and parcel of the game and all clubs get them, but bloody hell we've had some atrocious luck in recent seasons. The year we had the big cup run, for instance, we ended up with something like 6 or 7 senior players undergoing quite significant surgery for long-term injuries, and ended up with the squad stretched really, really thin. (From memory, there were knees - Hegeler, Fammy, among others, groins - Taylor, Duric, and a number of other issues; so much so that we had the then physio, Steve Allen, doing vids to explain the nature of the injuries, the treatment and players' progress, which I've never seen before or since). Last year Korey gets a bad one and then another within no time at all of making his comeback, and so on, and on. This is another big loss and I really feel for Dasilva, plus as you say a selection/cover problem that has far-reaching implications for how we can set up.

I have seen very little of Olsson and don't know why he has been released by Swansea at the age of 31 (partly financial reasons, maybe: they aren't exactly flush), but he certainly doesn't lack for experience. Must be worth at least considering, one would think, perhaps a contact for the remainder of the current season?   

Reading up about Martin Olsson, seems a no brainer but had a bad injury last year, same sort of player as Dasilva ain't he? Anyone know much about him? Possibly two Swedes linking up on left hand side of midfield 

Edited by BcfcDuncs

2 minutes ago, BcfcDuncs said:

Reading up about Martin Olsson, seems a no brainer but had a bad injury last year, same sort of player as Dasilva ain't he? Anyone know much about him? 

Didn't know about the injury, which might account for why he's OOC. Do you know what the nature of the injury was?

2 minutes ago, BcfcDuncs said:

Reading up about Martin Olsson, seems a no brainer but had a bad injury last year, same sort of player as Dasilva ain't he? Anyone know much about him? Possibly two Swedes linking up on left hand side of midfield 

Martin Olsson before last season would be a fantastic signing but he only played 4 times last season so not sure if his injury has finished him?

2 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Didn't know about the injury, which might account for why he's OOC. Do you know what the nature of the injury was?

Ruptured Achilles so pretty nasty...

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Coppello said:

After the Nketiah saga and now Dasilva’s injury, I can’t help but feel the following gif is apt for our season:

awkward the simpsons GIF

I agree. I’m not going to be all dramatic and say the injury could shape our season but add in Webster going and it certainly feels like a right kick in the stomach. Feels like one step forward and two back at the moment. LJ must be pulling his hair out.

5 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Can we get an emergency loan in or is that too late?

Keepers only isn’t it. I think we can get unattached players in but that’s it isn’t it? We can loan out to League one and below but not get players in from them?

7 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Ruptured Achilles so pretty nasty...

Ah, right; well, that's a really horrible injury. Thanks for the info.

I've seen that happen to a mate, as well as to a couple of high-profile professionals. (For those like me who go back a long way, Neil Webb, the former Forest and England player, for example, was never the same after he suffered this injury, if my memory is correct). It can be a career-changing event. It's a long rehab period, too, I think, so depending on when it occurred he may be some considerable way from fitness, in which case he obviously would not meet our need for a ready-made replacement.

• Like 1

Does anybody know what the injury is?

I take it the ruptured achcilles is in reference to Olsson?

Edited by 42nite

If Rowe gets injured you would think the way Hunt struck that one with his left on Tuesday he could move across.

After that O'Dowda maybe or one of Tins lads?  Just hope we don't see Baker at Right Back.

• Like 1

Just now, Bullbag said:

FFS, why let Pring go out on loan.

Terrible decision.

He went out on loan before Dasilva was injured, so not a terrible decision at all.

• Hmmm 1

31 minutes ago, Coppello said:

awkward the simpsons GIF

I wish I’d done that when I got to the boozer last night!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, grifty said:

He went out on loan before Dasilva was injured, so not a terrible decision at all.

I disagree completely,

Letting him go on loan left us with only one Natural left back,

Tommy Rowe can play there, yes, but I wouldn't class him as a proper left back, when he's played the majority of his career in midfield.

So I think it was a poor decision.

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Behave you mess.

It's my opinion.

Why don't you do one.

Attack the poster all you want, but the fact is Jay Dasilva was our only natural left back after letting Pring leave on loan.

• Aubergine 1

Play Hunt there. Someone solid who can defend. Stick Eliasson in front of him and tell Hunt to just keep shape and pass Eliason the ball. Milner did this for Liverpool a couple of seasons ago. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Does anybody know what the injury is?

I take it the ruptured achcilles is in reference to Olsson?

Yes, just checked it out. Injured 11th December last year and immediately ruled out for the remainder of the season.

His availability record before that seems OK, so does not appear to be a case of him being injury -prone. Ruptured achilles is a really nasty one, though, and in the worst cases can sometimes end careers.

Rehab is, I think, an absolute minimum of 6 months, but can be longer, even 8 - 10, but his surgery was said at the time to have been successful and he is 8 months into his recovery, so he may be fine now. What he won't be, I would guess, is match fit after such a long lay-off, so probably not an immediate solution.

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Play Hunt there. Someone solid who can defend. Stick Eliasson in front of him and tell Hunt to just keep shape and pass Eliason the ball. Milner did this for Liverpool a couple of seasons ago. 

Can hunt defend? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

How about Eliasson left wing back? Improving all the time in his defensive duties. Or obviously COD who has played there a bit in the past.

If it's to be a case of a member of the existing squad adapting to the position to help the team, COD would seem to me to be the most obvious candidate, in terms of his characteristics as a player. In view of his current contractual position and uncertain standing with LJ, it would offer both club and player an opportunity to turn a corner, though that would also depend a great deal on his qualities as a person, as well as his skill set. If he's willing to give it a go and makes a decent fist of it, it might resolve several problems in one go. Interesting food for thought, perhaps.  

3 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Fabio Coentrao out of contract. 

Would that count as a "bold" signing? 

Who?