IGNORED

does Spanish league football interest you?

Never to the dark side

They've only bought 3 games.

La Liga had to terminate Eleven Sports contract given more people had met Lord Lucan than had worked out how to access that platform.

The rights are up for auction and as I reckon you've always fancied yourself as a broadcaster what about "NTTDS TV"? Sport plus a daily soap about life on Parson Street. I'd sign up.......

31 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

How badly did Sky fudge this up to lose the deal to begin with? They must be able to get this back for pennies compared to a couple of years ago.

When the rights were up for renewal at the start of last season, they offered about 25% of what they'd paid previously. They're cutting right back on spending on "secondary" rights that, although they'd ideally like have them, aren't going to gain or lose them subscribers in large numbers. 

I for one would be happy to see the return of La Liga to my screen, especially if it included the insightful Guillaume Balague. If there is a need to save money I would not mind the ditching of the awful Gerry Armstrong and would equally happy to see the back of the MLS and the CSL (which I never watch anyway. 

46 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

When the rights were up for renewal at the start of last season, they offered about 25% of what they'd paid previously.

They also knew they weren't going to go to war with Disney who offered stupid sums to build the Eleven Sports brand on the false assumption that, as in the US, fans will pay attendance sized monies to watch individual games at home.

Interesting parallel with Irish Racing who for a few extra shekels moved rights to Racing TV rather than run with the newly rebranded Sky platform and who, as a consequence, have seen interest in their sport and more importantly betting revenue (of which they take a cut,) plummet. That has trickle down impacts on advertising and sponsorship income.

That was the genius of the deals Scudamore did with Sky. People think Sky paid silly sums but both parties realised it was an extraordinary opportunity to build huge, symbiotic brands based on subscription volume and the rest is history.

Well i managed to get tickets to watch barca at the nou camp for me and my boy in october!!!

to be fair, outside of 3 clubs in spain i wouldnt be inclined to watch, but on one evening last season i managed to find barca v villareal on some obscure channel. i think it ended 4-3 and was one of the best games ive ever seen.

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Well i managed to get tickets to watch barca at the nou camp for me and my boy in october!!!

to be fair, outside of 3 clubs in spain i wouldnt be inclined to watch, but on one evening last season i managed to find barca v villareal on some obscure channel. i think it ended 4-3 and was one of the best games ive ever seen.

All a matter of opinion, and some of the crowds are naff, but apart from the three I think you are alluding to , both Seville clubs, Valencia, and Bilbao provide a "big match" tv experience, and a Seville derby a cpuple of years back was one of the most exciting games i've seen. in ages

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

All a matter of opinion, and some of the crowds are naff, but apart from the three I think you are alluding to , both Seville clubs, Valencia, and Bilbao provide a "big match" tv experience, and a Seville derby a cpuple of years back was one of the most exciting games i've seen. in ages

Cool. My tickets are for the barca v sevilla game. 

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

La Liga had to terminate Eleven Sports contract given more people had met Lord Lucan than had worked out how to access that platform.

Does not surprise me. For people who haven't made the connection, Eleven Sports is owned by the Leeds United owner (the mouthy one that slagged off Steve Lansdown).

Eleven Sports is ****ing hopeless, they own the rights to the Champions League in Portugal, I was over there during the CL Final and in Lisbon's main English pub bursting at the seems with Liverpool and Spurs fans, their coverage fell over about 4 times, once for a full minute, replaced by an Eleven Sports please stand by logo. 

It does make me laugh watching the psychodrama among Leeds fans on social feeds who alternately adore his combative outspoken approach to Leeds and then moan that he never spends any money on them. They can't work out what they think. Like company, like owner, Eleven Sports is all hot air, no substance or delivery.

3 hours ago, jj77 said:

Any football interests me.

I even watched the womens world cup.

The opposite for unless it’s City or England I don’t care! I used to watch anything and anything from English to the Kazakhstani 3rd division! 

I’be tried to like to again a few times I sat down and tried watch 5 minutes of Liverpool vs Norwich and thought why am I watching this shot for? And turned it off!

1 hour ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

I've watched Real a few times, easy parking and good roads out after the match!

00-00085Dn.jpg

I passed this a couple of weeks ago. Impressive place. 

Playing second fiddle in their own city in the last few years, to the other murcia team who play in the their old stadium (Ucam)!  I think city played UCAM a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, hail gus cesaer said:

The opposite for unless it’s City or England I don’t care! I used to watch anything and anything from English to the Kazakhstani 3rd division! 

I’be tried to like to again a few times I sat down and tried watch 5 minutes of Liverpool vs Norwich and thought why am I watching this shot for? And turned it off!

That's because @jj77 likes football. Just football. The tribal eliment is secondary. It can take you to many random games and/stadiums. 

Where as, strange as it sounds, you don't actually like football all that much because the tribal eliment is the only thing that keeps you watching. Remove it and the pure football itself was boring to you. 

Nothing wrong with it, it's just the two types of fan. When it comes to city, both have just as much to give. 

As my avatar and signature suggest I certainly do take an interest in Spanish football. Unfortunately, in the Segunda Liga at the moment ?

However, the one benefit of Málaga failing to get promoted, is that every single game in the second division is broadcast live on YouTube for free, so I can watch them every week. 

I'm off to Seville for a week next week and I seem to have chosen the only seven day period in the entire season where neither Seville team are at home, so unfortunately won't be able to take in a game ? The wife's happy about that though ?

By all accounts, there were a number of bids on the table, but La Liga didn't like the numbers on any of them - so as of right now no one has the exclusive rights to broadcast La Liga.

While I understand that you don't want to be undervalued, any money is better than no money. A lot of people that follow Real Madrid/Barcelona on Twitter were kicking off over it, and saying how La Liga is poorly managed.

6 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

By all accounts, there were a number of bids on the table, but La Liga didn't like the numbers on any of them - so as of right now no one has the exclusive rights to broadcast La Liga.

While I understand that you don't want to be undervalued, any money is better than no money. A lot of people that follow Real Madrid/Barcelona on Twitter were kicking off over it, and saying how La Liga is poorly managed.

Well from what I understand they weren't happy that they were earning just a bit more then everyone else in la liga because clubs used to negotiate their own TV rights and Real and Barcelona were just on crazy money compared to everyone else. 

La Liga is in a weird place at the moment with TV rights, there are bids on the table but La Liga views itself as bigger and better then the Premiership... So they should get the same amount of money, which is not going to happen as with the prem they play pretty much every day of the week as per TV deals but clubs in Spain don't like this (they even kicked off about the season starting on a Friday and successfully got a game on a Monday rearranged to Sunday). 

As per the games themself I'd much rather watch the bundesliga, 99 out of 100 Real, Atletico or Barca will win or the big club (valencia, villarreal etc) will beat the little, you don't get the sense that anyone can beat anyone like you do in the prem (with the exception on man City and Liverpool) . 

6 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Well from what I understand they weren't happy that they were earning just a bit more then everyone else in la liga because clubs used to negotiate their own TV rights and Real and Barcelona were just on crazy money compared to everyone else. 

La Liga is in a weird place at the moment with TV rights, there are bids on the table but La Liga views itself as bigger and better then the Premiership... So they should get the same amount of money, which is not going to happen as with the prem they play pretty much every day of the week as per TV deals but clubs in Spain don't like this (they even kicked off about the season starting on a Friday and successfully got a game on a Monday rearranged to Sunday). 

As per the games themself I'd much rather watch the bundesliga, 99 out of 100 Real, Atletico or Barca will win or the big club (valencia, villarreal etc) will beat the little, you don't get the sense that anyone can beat anyone like you do in the prem (with the exception on man City and Liverpool) . 

Is it that the PL is uber competitive or that the top 2 have pulled away from the rest a little?

Actually, the big 6 have over the last 3 seasons been entrenching their position quite a bit- metrics goals per game, pts v 7th-20th show this- however back end of season showed some hope e.g. Wolves beating Arsenal and Man Utd, Everton beating Chelsea and those 2 but the trend is heading one way.

Archived