IGNORED

Ricky van Wolfswinkel

phantom

• Admin

Basel striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel is undergoing treatment for a brain aneurysm that was only discovered after he had scans following a concussion.

The Dutchman, 30, says he is facing "at least six months" out of the game.

The aneurysm is a pre-existing condition and not caused by the severe concussion he sustained near the end of Basel's Champions League qualifying match against LASK on 7 August.

"I'm very grateful the brain aneurysm got discovered," he said.

"Normally a brain aneurysm is not discovered in time, only after it has ruptured and caused other damage."

An aneurysm is a balloon-like bulge in a blood vessel caused by a weakness in the blood vessel wall.

If a brain aneurysm bursts it causes a subarachnoid haemorrhage, which can be fatal or cause extensive brain damage.

Former Norwich striker Van Wolfswinkel was hit in the final minutes of the 2-1 defeat and was taken to hospital after the Basel medical team saw the seriousness of his concussion.

"The doctors made multiple scans and eventually found out that I have a brain aneurysm," he said.

"The hit I got in the game has absolutely nothing to do with the existing brain aneurysm - this has been there for a long period but I didn't have any symptoms so we didn't know it was there."

32 minutes ago, phantom said:

Basel striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel is undergoing treatment for a brain aneurysm that was only discovered after he had scans following a concussion.

The Dutchman, 30, says he is facing "at least six months" out of the game.

The aneurysm is a pre-existing condition and not caused by the severe concussion he sustained near the end of Basel's Champions League qualifying match against LASK on 7 August.

"I'm very grateful the brain aneurysm got discovered," he said.

"Normally a brain aneurysm is not discovered in time, only after it has ruptured and caused other damage."

An aneurysm is a balloon-like bulge in a blood vessel caused by a weakness in the blood vessel wall.

If a brain aneurysm bursts it causes a subarachnoid haemorrhage, which can be fatal or cause extensive brain damage.

Former Norwich striker Van Wolfswinkel was hit in the final minutes of the 2-1 defeat and was taken to hospital after the Basel medical team saw the seriousness of his concussion.

"The doctors made multiple scans and eventually found out that I have a brain aneurysm," he said.

"The hit I got in the game has absolutely nothing to do with the existing brain aneurysm - this has been there for a long period but I didn't have any symptoms so we didn't know it was there."

It's great that this has been diagnosed and he is going to get the treatment he needs. I am a bit surprised that it wasn't picked up sooner though, I would have thought with the amount of money and medics in the games footballers would have all sorts of tests on a regular basis.

I had a underlying brain issue diagnosed and treated last year which also was diagnosed with a bit of luck like this case. Scary how many things go by for years which could have major consequences.

2 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

It's great that this has been diagnosed and he is going to get the treatment he needs. I am a bit surprised that it wasn't picked up sooner though, I would have thought with the amount of money and medics in the games footballers would have all sorts of tests on a regular basis.

I had a underlying brain issue diagnosed and treated last year which also was diagnosed with a bit of luck like this case. Scary how many things go by for years which could have major consequences.

I can’t imagine that even Premier League clubs go as far as getting a brain scan (CT or MRI) as part of their medical process for recruits. These things are usually silent until symptoms occur. A good job it was picked up before anything happened.

However considering the behaviour of some players, perhaps brain scans aren’t quite so far-fetched, and the results might have been more surprising than an aneurysm!

And on a more serious note, given the risks of dementia for some of the players from an earlier era, heading those heavy balls repetitively, like Jeff Astor, MRI scans might have been helpful to pick up signs of early damage.

42 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I can’t imagine that even Premier League clubs go as far as getting a brain scan (CT or MRI) as part of their medical process for recruits. These things are usually silent until symptoms occur. A good job it was picked up before anything happened.

However considering the behaviour of some players, perhaps brain scans aren’t quite so far-fetched, and the results might have been more surprising than an aneurysm!

And on a more serious note, given the risks of dementia for some of the players from an earlier era, heading those heavy balls repetitively, like Jeff Astor, MRI scans might have been helpful to pick up signs of early damage.

They certainly wont be giving players regular x-rays and CT scans, whilst its low risk as a diagnosis for a health issue the risks of actually causing a problem go up the more you zap soft tissue like the brain!

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

20 minutes ago, Sydneybcfc said:

They certainly wont be giving players regular x-rays and CT scans, whilst its low risk as a diagnosis for a health issue the risks of actually causing a problem go up the more you zap soft tissue like the brain!

A football career in most cases is going to last at most from the age of 16 to 36. I'm pretty sure 1 or 2 MRI scans in this time frame will not affect the health of the players but could save the lives of many. 

Also it wouldn't need to be compulsory to say pass a medical so if a player chooses they dont want to that's there choice. 

Like I say I had a similarish experience and was going for tests for 14 years (I'm only 30) and not diagnosed until they thought I had a stroke so was sent for an MRI where they discovered something else. I can tell you now if I had the chance to have an MRI when I was 16 I certainly would have.

Archived