IGNORED

Bristol City v Queens Park Rangers Match Day 3

Septic Peg

Need that first win to inspire confidence and play better, it will come. 

QPR was coincidentally the 4th match we played last season and our first win, we won the next three after that and it started off our season.

This time it is our 3rd league match so hopefully inspires some belief and gets us playing better in future matches. 

COYR!!

Being half players are less than a fortnight into their time here, we seem to get injuries to staters every half let alone game, and that we have no real clue who our best eleven are yet, I’ll take four points from the first three games.

Tricky trio of matches coming up; will learn a lot about the side by September.

But always nice to get a win!

COYR

12 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Great performance and win. Don’t know what some people expect three games into a season with half a new team to integrate. 

Agree, still need to gel as a group. I liked what I saw with regards to Nagi, Massengo and Afobe today

Rowe did well also. Still feel that 3 at the back surrenders the midfield and possession too easily when your CBs are not ball players

I am sure things will be more entertaining as the season goes on

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Good win. Performance better than many seem to be suggesting on here. QPR caused us zero problems second half but the doom and gloomers will focus on the first 30 mins, not the last 60

Thought QPR streets ahead of us first half, BUT Bentley  did not have a shot to save in the first half. Don't think the QPR keeper did either.  Picked up and better  in the second half.  With so many new players you cannot gel in an instant and patience is needed.  Only one way for us as far as I can see, great promise

14 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Thought QPR streets ahead of us first half, BUT Bentley  did not have a shot to save in the first half. Don't think the QPR keeper did either.  Picked up and better  in the second half.  With so many new players you cannot gel in an instant and patience is needed.  Only one way for us as far as I can see, great promise

Neither team defended particularly well but the difference was the keepers, Bentley looked confident and composed the QPR keeper was a bag of nerves. Our new players all looked good upgrades on what we had before, if we had JD fit I'd be looking for the play-offs but if we lose any more defenders we can't expect to be any better than mid-table. Maybe we could come with a late run after January.

It was important to get that first win, but I thought it was an unconvincing performance overall. Not surprising with so many new players. 

Positives for me:

Nagy looks like he will be an excellent player. 

Adobe led the line well. 

Bentley looked assured (and made a great save, although they shouldn’t have been allowed to win two consecutive headers from the corner). 

Baker was a rock. 

Massengo showed real promise (not sure how that header didn’t go in!)

Palmer is improving defensively  

Concerns:

We stood off and gave QPR a huge amount of space. At times we were wide open. A better team would have punished us.

We seemed exposed when they attacked down the flanks. Hunt really struggled.

Not much cohesion to our play.

Too many occasions when we put ourselves under pressure with the slow passing across the back and wasted quick free kicks.

Very static at times.

Too often we were second to the ball.

I’m really pleased with the 3 points today, but we will need to play better at Derby if we want to get anything out of that game.

57 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

There was definitely one shot for the QPR goalkeeper to save in the first half.

He didn't though.

Some QPR fans are happy with the result; https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/245435/i’ll-take-that/#8

Three games in and four points, having played two of the fancied teams away and a relegated Premier team at home and not being outplayed in either game so far.

suggests we are one of the fancied teams.

the difference to last year is that we are much more attractive to watch this season with a lot more passing. i'm loving it at the moment even in defeat

16 hours ago, CiderHider said:

How did Eddie get on? ?

Got a really good workout. It is a long walk from the changing room to the subs bench at Wigan. He had to do it FOUR times. If he had gone to little old Bristol City, he wouldn’t even have SAT on the subs bench so he is getting much better development. What you don’t realise, is that, at Leeds, he is learning how to sit on the bench the Bielsa way. That will surely stand him in good stead for the rest of his career. Well done Arsenal. 

53 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Got a really good workout. It is a long walk from the changing room to the subs bench at Wigan. He had to do it FOUR times. If he had gone to little old Bristol City, he wouldn’t even have SAT on the subs bench so he is getting much better development. What you don’t realise, is that, at Leeds, he is learning how to sit on the bench the Bielsa way. That will surely stand him in good stead for the rest of his career. Well done Arsenal. 

Riding pine at Leeds. Who'dda thunk it? ?

Archived