IGNORED

Adan Nagy

Red Army 75

37 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I must admit that, when he scored, the thought did cross my mind - would Marlon have taken that shot on? It was one of my biggest frustrations with MP (and I rated him a lot) that he always seemed reluctant to hit the ball when a gap opened up in front of him. Perhaps it was a confidence thing, who knows?

Think Pack would of been 10 yards further back imo. Great servant to the club & by all accounts a top lad. COYR 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

As regular readers will know, I was probably one of Pack’s biggest supporters on here, always defending him against what I thought was unnecessary criticism for a bloke who was instrumental in getting us to establishing ourselves as a regular top 10 championship team. 

However, I always said that he was not irreplaceable and that if an upgrade could be found and funded then I didn’t mind Pack being replaced. 

Nagy is certainly an upgrade. And I am very happy with that.

Thing is though, they are actually very different players. We have built our playing style and tempo around Pack for the last 3 years. Everything went through him and it was a methodical tempo, probing, retaining, probing again. With Nagy, we won’t be gently passing our way through midfield. We now have a front man who will make runs in behind, but can also collect the ball to feet, and this means we can feed the strikers quicker and in a variety of ways. So our style and tempo on the ball will be very different. It’s the complimentary skills of a quicker midfielder, an attacking mid with creativity and a striker with the ability to go either way, to the ball or in behind. 

Also, off the ball our style will change. Pack mainly held the DM position, defended the edge of the box, rarely got dragged out wide to close down wingers and full backs. This gave Brownhill a bit of freedom to be wherever he wanted to be because Pack was always going to be patrolling the D. With Nagy, due to his increased mobility, his energy, his tenaciousness and his pace, he charges around everywhere and closes down opponents all over the pitch. This is great, and gives us something extra. However, this means Brownhills role changes, and he has to be more alert to when Nagy defends out wide or up higher. Brownhill now doesn’t have the safety net of Pack always on the D (the last line of midfield as it were), and so he needs to ensure he covers back there when Nagy is closing out wide. 

So our style both with and without the ball changes due to Nagy’s increased mobility. It might take a while for others to compliment his all action style. Others have to step up in other areas of the pitch. 

I think everyone ought to be appreciative of the job that Pack (and Paterson) have done to establish us as a top 10 championship team. But every player can be upgraded and I’m more than happy that we’ve found a potential gem in both Nagy & Massengo. 

The most relieving thing though is that I now don’t have to spend hours defending Pack on here from those who could never see what he brought to the table - so I can now enjoy more hours in my day. Phew. 

Good post Harry.

??????

11 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Especially if they cost Sweet Fanny Adams.

But would you Adam n Eve it, I'm not adamant about that.

Adamn good assesment Joe. 

No player on the pitch had such close control as Nagy and I think that's key to what he does.

I think he's also a very intelligent footballer: spotting danger and making interceptions when others are hopelessly out-of-position. 

I agree with everyone who says he will be crucial to our season providing he avoids serious injuries. 

Oh, and he clearly has a "foot like a traction engine" too!

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

No player on the pitch had such close control as Nagy and I think that's key to what he does.

I think he's also a very intelligent footballer: spotting danger and making interceptions when others are hopelessly out-of-position. 

I agree with everyone who says he will be crucial to our season providing he avoids serious injuries. 

Oh, and he clearly has a "foot like a traction engine" too!

Spot on , watching him off the ball , he was constantly changing his position , filling holes , blocking passing lanes and ready to pounce

Watching Nagy and Messengo yesterday...their whole game is an upgrade on what we have in the rest of the team.

By that...I mean as all round footballers.

Their intelligence, understanding, movement, body shape...as in receiving and when passing. Not just to the person...but to the right place for that person to receive the ball.

That's been ingrained from youth...you can tell. Technically better than anyone else.

I laughed at one moment...I think it was Rowe who took a short throw in to Nagy...he threw it at his chest ? Nagy looked at him like he was child ? it's the little things like that, that make all the difference at this level.

Pass the ball to feet...into the right space and with right pace. Body position to receive to be correct...all in one motion. Fluid movement and balance.

It stands out a mile.

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

Watching Nagy and Messengo yesterday...their whole game is an upgrade on what we have in the rest of the team.

Their intelligence, understanding, movement, body shape...as in receiving and when passing. Not just to the person...but to the right place for that person to receive the ball.

That's been ingrained from youth...you can tell. Technically better than anyone else.

I laughed at one moment...I think it was Rowe who took a short throw in to Nagy...he threw it at his chest ? Nagy looked at him like he was child ? it's the little things like that, that make all the difference at this level.

Pass the ball to feet...into the right space and with right pace. Body position to receive to be correct...all in one motion. Fluid movement and balance.

It stands out a mile.

Another simple thing that infuriates me, ‘ feet & back’. Amazes me that a professional footballer  doesn’t follow this. I was taught that as a youngster & cannot believe it’s not taught throughout. But with regards Nagy & Massengo, a definite improvement with regards ability & understanding of the game imo. Constantly on the move, creating angles. Constantly looking over their shoulders to get an idea of things before they receive the ball & obviously a great touch to go with their confidence in receiving the ball in tight situations. Going to enjoy watching these two I think. COYR 

2 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Another simple thing that infuriates me, ‘ feet & back’. Amazes me that a professional footballer  doesn’t follow this. I was taught that as a youngster & cannot believe it’s not taught throughout. But with regards Nagy & Massengo, a definite improvement with regards ability & understanding of the game imo. Constantly on the move, creating angles. Constantly looking over their shoulders to get an idea of things before they receive the ball & obviously a great touch to go with their confidence in receiving the ball in tight situations. Going to enjoy watching these two I think. COYR 

Me too...think we have the makings of a decent football team. I don't think it's going to be this season now...but fingers crossed we see the potential come good sooner rather than later.

Just a shame DaSilva is injured. 

It crossed my mind yesterday whilst watching the game of a potential 433 if everyone played to their potential imo.

----------------------Bentley-----------------------

Pedro_____Kalas____Baker_______Rowe

_______________Nagy________________

_______Messengo_____DaSiva________

__________Brownhill_Palmer__________

________________Afobe______________

Or drop Palmer when wanting to play with a higher two and play Semenyo next to Afobe. 

The potential of movement and passing between Messengo, Nagy and DaSilva could be very exciting.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

It stands out a mile.

There was one bit in the first half where Nagy received the ball on the halfway line with two / three players in close proximity.  He could’ve just helped it on round the corner and lost possession.  But he trusted his touch, and with it moved the ball ready for the second touch to move it away from the pressing players.  Beautiful....if not going to take sometime to get used to!

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Me too...think we have the makings of a decent football team. I don't think it's going to be this season now...but fingers crossed we see the potential come good sooner rather than later.

Just a shame DaSilva is injured. 

It crossed my mind yesterday whilst watching the game of a potential 433 if everyone played to their potential imo.

----------------------Bentley-----------------------

Pedro_____Kalas____Baker_______Rowe

_______________Nagy________________

_______Messengo_____DaSiva________

__________Brownhill_Palmer__________

________________Afobe______________

Or drop Palmer when wanting to play with a higher two and play Semenyo next to Afobe. 

The potential of movement and passing between Messengo, Nagy and DaSilva could be very exciting.

If only Korey wasn’t out ( a big if only!). Would have him as the DM, move Nagy forward & Dasilva back to left back & that would be a very interesting team potentially. But personally like the 3-5-2 & I now think we have the players to apply that, when everyone is fit. Interesting times ahead.?COYR 

18 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hypothetical now but think Pack and Nagy might have been interesting 

In a 3, could've been very interesting IMO. Pack, Nagy and Massengo, Brownhill or Walsh.

Excellent depth and competition too- not forgetting Smith, still an excellent range but Pack added to what we still have- very nice problem to have. A proper and consistent central '3' would've got even more out of Pack I reckon.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In a 3, could've been very interesting IMO. Pack, Nagy and Massengo, Brownhill or Walsh.

Excellent depth and competition too- not forgetting Smith, still an excellent range but Pack added to what we still have- very nice problem to have. A proper and consistent central '3' would've got even more out of Pack I reckon.

Nagy And Pack centrally with Josh on right (Still his best position IMHO) and take your choice on left

or a three with Pack Sitting and Nagy and Massengo /Josh operating box to box 

would have had possibilities

At end of day , Packs gone and Just delighted with Nagy

and what was the difference in fees ? 

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nagy And Pack centrally with Josh on right (Still his best position IMHO) and take your choice on left

or a three with Pack Sitting and Nagy and Massengo /Josh operating box to box 

would have had possibilities

At end of day , Packs gone and Just delighted with Nagy

and what was the difference in fees ? 

£2.25m versus £4.00m (rumoured)

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

There was one bit in the first half where Nagy received the ball on the halfway line with two / three players in close proximity.  He could’ve just helped it on round the corner and lost possession.  But he trusted his touch, and with it moved the ball ready for the second touch to move it away from the pressing players.  Beautiful....if not going to take sometime to get used to!

It's a joy to watch Dave. Just goes to show what value is out there on foreign shores.

If we could get someone in Weimanns place with the same technical skill and work rate....

Archived