IGNORED

Player ratings

old_eastender

Bentley - 7 - Clean handling throughout, one really good save from Hugill header.

Hunt - 4 - Lack of control when found in space was almost comical, loads of space behind him to be exploited, accident waiting to happen. Rightly subbed after harsh yellow card.

Moore - 6 - Defensively ok, stands off a bit too much, hardly bought the ball out of defence at all.

Baker - 8 - Played really well and no lapses of concentration today, put his body on the line, best defender on the pitch.

Kalas - 7 - Tidy and mainly accomplished without dominating.

Rowe - 7 - Worked hard and did well to try and contain Samuel, needed the help Eliasson bought. 

Nagy - 9 - Almost perfect half, neat, tidy, accurate passing, great strike for the goal. Really hope he is fit to start Tuesday.

Brownhill - 5 - Never really got into the game, poor control a few times resulting in him losing possession. Massengo looks like he could be a major upgrade on Brownhill.

Palmer - 6 - Worked hard, had to continually try to make something out of nothing.

Wiemann - 6 - Would have been a 5 but for the assist for Afobe's goal. Typical Wiemann performance lots of running between opponents, little end product.

Afobe - 7 - Scored and worked hard all game. Made some good runs and occupied their CBs.

SUBS:

Pereria - 6 - Much better option than Hunt, good pace and much better positioning.

Massengo - 7 - Looked good, both in providing defensive cover and pushing forward, him and Nagy playing together would be good to see.

Eliasson - 6 - Came on and really helped to snub the dangerous Samuel out, little opportunity to do much offensively.

Overall, not really a good performance, overrun in midfield in their half, but a very important win and the bonus of a clean sheet. Take that all day long ?

Bentley 7 - superb under the high ball
Hunt 5 - had a mare of a first half
Moore 7 - controlled and solid
Kalas 7 as above
Baker 7 - excellent other than distribution 

Rowe 5 - slow and looked dodgy against their winger 
Nagy 8 - superb control and great goal 
Brownhill 7 - excellent second half as we kept qpr at bay easily 
Palmer 6 - work rate superb but not much came off 
Afobe 7 - good hold up play and finish. Ran channels well
Weimann 6 - nearly a five but so much effort 
Subs
Pereira 7 - upgrade on Hunt
Massengo 7 - generally very good. A star in the making
Elliason 6 - lots of tricks but not much more

Poor first 30 minutes but thought we controlled the last hour pretty well. QPR didn’t have much after the first half hour

It wasn’t a flashy display but lots of grit. Happy with that 

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Bentley 7 - superb under the high ball
Hunt 5 - had a mare of a first half
Moore 7 - controlled and solid
Kalas 7 as above
Baker 7 - excellent other than distribution 

Rowe 5 - slow and looked dodgy against their winger 
Nagy 8 - superb control and great goal 
Brownhill 7 - excellent second half as we kept qpr at bay easily 
Palmer 6 - work rate superb but not much came off 
Afobe 7 - good hold up play and finish. Ran channels well
Weimann 6 - nearly a five but so much effort 
Subs
Pereira 7 - upgrade on Hunt
Massengo 7 - generally very good. A star in the making
Elliason 6 - lots of tricks but not much more

Poor first 30 minutes but thought we controlled the last hour pretty well. QPR didn’t have much after the first half hour

It wasn’t a flashy display but lots of grit. Happy with that 

I’d agree with most of that. I thought Baker was the more solid of our 3 CBs and that Rowe did well in the first half. Harsh to give him the same rating as Hunt.

Baker my MOTM. After 30 min everyone played much better with the exception of Nagy who was up for it from KO. 

Bentley - 7

Hunt - 5 showed a real lack of quality and concentration

Moore - 6 generally solid. 1 good bit of play going forward and one mistake that almost cost us. Like him getting champ experience in a 3

Kalas - 8 similar to Baker. Hugill outmuscled him once or twice but Kalas was back to his normal self today

Baker - 9 cleared everything. Much better decisions with the ball at his feet today. 

Rowe - 5 not a LB or LWB a more experienced winger has a final ball today

Brownhill - 6 had flashes but thought he was generally anonymous. Maybe the others next to him just made it look that way

Nagy - 7 was well onto a higher rating but only lasted a half

Palmer - 6.5 gave an extra .5 because of his work rate today. A new feature that is welcome even if he lacked that bit of flair today

Afobe - 7 thought first 30 min he was worse than anything I saw from Fam as he didn’t even look to be trying. After he turned a defender on the half way line for a counter he was much sharper and an upgrade on Fam

Weimann - 7 his running gets him this high. Not a slight on him as he was brilliant just wish he could add a bit more quality

Massengo - 7 much like Nagy if he plays more than a half he rates higher. What a playet

Periera - 6 done his job well and felt safer than Hunt or Rowe

Eliasson - 6 thought he worked hard helping out Rowe at times on BOS didn’t have much time to do much else

Thought Brownhill was superb. Rowe I am seriously worried about. So so slow. Was such a weak link I thought. Hunt worst performance ever from him. Both wing backs very poor, Pereira good when he came on. Kalas motm for me. Back 3 very good but still bit concerned by it. Afobe clear improvement on Fam, touch and pace. Weimann a good game too.

31 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

could not go today due to a wedding. sounds like rowe and hunt were not at the races and taylor moore was only  ok. not much to come in so we have to put up with them or look for out of contract players to help. but a win is always a good win.

‘Not at the races’ is a complete exaggeration HR

As for TM , I’ve never been convinced he could step up , but IMHO was as assured as Kalas and Baker today and when we hit a poor spell 10 mins in thought he attacked the ball well , stepped forward and was the best of the three during that period 

Was at the game today, so good to see our boys for the first time live this season: (useful whole numbers only and 6/10 is a player earning his wages)

Bentley - 7 - safe and assured, made two good saves, from a looping header at full stretch, and the other, although straight at him, it was hit before he had chance to set himself.  Claimed well in his six yard box, and I liked that he went over to Moore after an error and encouraged him firmly.

Moore - 7 - grew into the game today, and became a bit more physical as he grew in confidence.  Second half I thought he did really well and much more assured on RHS (than left v Leeds) knowing he had Kalas inside him.  Good defensive header on one dangerous corner.  We know he can play, but I thought it was him stepping into midfield on half hour that changed the balance of the game, and allowed us to get down the right side.

Kalas - 8 - imperious at the back, after a couple of ‘meh’ games.  First half his strength on Hugill from a couple of threatening crosses was vital as Hugill was positioning himself to head home.  Then second half a majestic hong-long-fuey clearance and headed every ball in his vicinity.  Back to form I hope.  My MOTM.

Baker - 7 - steady start, but once he had the chance to win a 60:40 on Bright Osayi-Samuel inside our area, and leave a little on him too, I sensed he was up for it.  Second half he was committed into every challenge and gave an impressive performance.  He did leave Rowe a bit exposed, by playing slightly narrow, but the danger was inside the lines of the 18 yard box, so a bit of forgiveness.

Hunt - 4 - battled it out with Angel Rangel for worst RB today, and Rangel beat him with a 3/10 from me.  Not yet perfected Pereira’s back heel into touch, but came up with his own variety of poor touches today.  The rise and fall of Reggie Hunt after Tuesday’s screamer!  Subbed after a yellow.

Pereira (58) - 7 - instantly into the game, comfortable on the ball, with a few tricks, but quick to defend too.  One fantastic cross to the diving Afobe / Massengo (can’t remember which cross it was) on the run showed us fans what we have in store.  #upgrade

Rowe - 5 - tough afternoon against “Bright’, and although not his best performance he used his experience to do as well as he could.  His opponent should’ve been sent off (from my angle) for striking him after he used his nous to manage him.  Got exposed second half a few times (shades of Bryan v Osoro of Sunderland), but tactical changes saw it through.

Nagy - 7 - quieter game on the ball (in my head - but 31/33 passes), but the spark to our attacks.  Popped up left side of penalty area, then almost through 1-on-1 after 1-2 with Afobe, that led to a melee that helped build the noise.  And then he did score....super technique to a dropping ball against an on rushing defender.  We usually see a slice for a throw-in....not Nagy though.  Gow-like!!  This is a DM who doesn’t just sit-in.  He drives us forward.  Injured late in 1st half.

Massengo (45) - 6 - came on at half-time and worked his socks off.  Didn’t get on the ball loads, but gave us shape, and not afraid to bust a gut to get into the box.  Had he scored with his header or when bravely throwing himself at the ball a few minutes earlier, I think I might have ended up in the lower tiers of the Lansdown.  Mature! (Close to a 7)

Brownhill (c) - 6 - mixed game for Josh today.  Thought he had a tough 1st half as Cameron outmuscled him on loose balls, albeit couple of passes to Hunt, will let his stats down due to his inability to control it.  Second half without Nagy, he took on responsibility for holding, and I think he did a good job as Rangers rarely threatened playing through the thirds centrally.

Palmer - 6 - funny game for Kasey.  Flashes of quality, but more impressed with his work rate today, especially second half when we looked under pressure. Subbed after 71

Eliasson (19) - 6 - some nice touches when he came on (as you’d expect) and did his job defensively.  Might’ve got a 7 had he played 30 minutes.  Linked well with Pereira and supported Rowe when on the other side.

Weimann - 6 - a steady performance, where he tried to be an outlet, but didn’t come off for him today.  Having said that, the two man forward line meant a partner to share the pressing workload, and credit to him for the second goal.  Thought he was going for goal, but highlights show it was a good overhead pass.

Afobe - 8 (but TK my MOTM) on this evidence, we’ve got the striker we have been after.  Without any service for 30 minutes, he then showed us what a capable, multi-faceted striker he is.  I love the way he sucks his CB’s in tight then is strong enough to roll them.  Great energy until tiring last 10 mins.  And a composed finish on the volley to open his account.  Wants to attack the ball in the box.  Lot to like...and more to come.

Not at our best today, but this side has something about it.  Early days but Nagy could be an upgrade on Pack, Pereira an upgrade on Hunt and Afobe an upgrade on Diedhiou.  Thought our defensive three showed a lot of character, and let’s hope Baker’s committed performance is what we see, rather than one keen to head off mid-game.

For QPR, the Guy next me said what a bunch of #softcockneytw@ts

They tried to play-act and although the ref wasn’t great, he didn’t fall for any of it.

Good win, tough game....good to see:

- a first half goal

- a lead at half-time

- a clean sheet

- is not getting drawn into trying to play-act, because we are shit at it.  Kept our discipline.  Good sign.  Perhaps the foreign element helping.

I'm really surprised Moore hasn't been given higher ratings on here. He's clearly been given encouragement to take the ball forward and looked dangerous with it at least 3 times today. Mostly looked sound defensively too despite having hunt in front of him. Yes it could of been a clanger when he was disposesed but I'm happy for those risks to be taken when we have the experience of Baker and Kalas around him. Also how much is he going to learn this season playing alongside those two.

My short summary is Hunt and Rowe are the weak links. Rowe looks like a League One midfield player trying to play left wingback in the Championship. You might be able to get away with it for a couple of matches, but not the 5 months without Dasilva 

..and the votes from the Devon Jury....

Bentley 7- less jittery, one great save, solid distribution

Hunt 5 - wobbly

Kalas 7- getting back to near his best

Baker 7 - started off poorly but improved and won every header in second half, retuning to form

Moore 7 - determined, strong and some good work, didn’t look at all out of place

Rowe 5 - struggled a little against tricky opponent

Brownhill 6 -another who grew into the game, stronger second half

Palmer 5 - got to impose himself on games

Nagy - 6 part of an anonymous midfield in first half, cracking goal and grew stronger

Wiemann 6 - willing runner and shutter down, but not clinical

Afobe 6 - thought he looked a bit of a lump tbh, maybe a slightly more athletic lump that we’ve had previously (hard hat on head)

No real stand out, but I’d give Moore MOM based on his improvement in form.

..and as for the subs Massengo.... two diving headers ...from a midfielder .....attacking the 6 yard box ..what’s that about FFS!?!

Baker was solid today. I’m not sure id persist with a 3 at the back. I’d rather an extra man in Midfield where times today we were bossed. Nagy, Josh and Massengo in a diamond with Palmer behind the front two would be interesting to see. That would also allow KP to play his own game. We need to control games more at home and I feel we get over run in midfield.

Fair play to Baker - gets some flak but did well today.

I think one thing is for sure after today. If we play with Hunt and Rowe as either wing backs or full backs for the next four months, we will be nowhere near the top 6.

Rowe is dogged, and works extremely hard; but is not a defender and it shows.  A decent right winger woll generally have the upper hand against him, and teams are surely going to target this weakness.

Hunt' s days are numbered as Periera when he came on, looked far more assured.

Ultimately though we need either another lb, or cb that can cover that area on the hurry up.

1 hour ago, Lez said:

Bently 8

Hunt 4

Kalas 8

Baker 8

Moore 6

Brownhill 7

Nagy 8

Massengo 7

Palmer 5

Weimann 7

Afobe 8

Rowe 6

This is how I saw it although maybe a 7 for Benik and Kalas.

Palmer definitely a 5. People have mentioned his work rate being great today, i disagree. Spent too much time drifting around aimlessly waiting for the ball to arrive at his feet. 

Just now, pikeysrobins said:

This is how I saw it although maybe a 7 for Benik and Kalas.

Palmer definitely a 5. People have mentioned his work rate being great today, i disagree. Spent too much time drifting around aimlessly waiting for the ball to arrive at his feet. 

This is the exact issue I have with palmer no effort made to drop in and actually get it

51 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Baker was solid today. I’m not sure id persist with a 3 at the back. I’d rather an extra man in Midfield where times today we were bossed. Nagy, Josh and Massengo in a diamond with Palmer behind the front two would be interesting to see. That would also allow KP to play his own game. We need to control games more at home and I feel we get over run in midfield.

Fair play to Baker - gets some flak but did well today.

That formation is a good shout, perhaps even a 4-5-1 if we need to persist with TR as a left back to give him a bit o protection. Away from home anyway.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

My short summary is Hunt and Rowe are the weak links. Rowe looks like a League One midfield player trying to play left wingback in the Championship. You might be able to get away with it for a couple of matches, but not the 5 months without Dasilva 

I'm not sure what people expect from Rowe. He was up against a talented winger, who despite being a total jerk, will cause many opponents trouble. Radio Bristol thought he will get to play in the Premier League. I thought Rowe did OK, won some and lost some.

To look at it another way, when Eliasson gets past his man, or puts over some dangerous crosses, does that make the QPR full back a "weak link"? Two players are trying to outdo each other, and its unusual for anyone to win every duel.

2 hours ago, Just8 said:

I'm really surprised Moore hasn't been given higher ratings on here. He's clearly been given encouragement to take the ball forward and looked dangerous with it at least 3 times today. Mostly looked sound defensively too despite having hunt in front of him. Yes it could of been a clanger when he was disposesed but I'm happy for those risks to be taken when we have the experience of Baker and Kalas around him. Also how much is he going to learn this season playing alongside those two.

Agree re Moore and ratings, hampered by going forward first half as his main option was Hunt whose head was surely somewhere else, some brilliant balls to him but no concentration.  On a whole the first half was not good, the midfield still have a lot of work to do, substitutions made a big difference, more cohesion and much more skill and potential.  Importantly when Moore did venture forward he was really quick to track back when needed, refreshing for a 23 in red!

good things coming! Top 5 by year end and then who knows.........

Archived