Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why are people so desperate for their to be something in this conspiracy theory? Do people honestly believe that a Steve Lansdown club, given his background, would even entertain such an idea? It's nonsense!

Hi @Phileas Fogg, I can't answer for anyone else but I like the theory and don't understand why it's being called a 'conspiracy' theory.

It's possible we signed this wonder kid without help but that would also be surprising. There's a way in which the market works - a natural pecking order - but this transfer subverts that.

Why would he sign for Bristol City? Monaco seems a better platform for a young player hoping to reach the top and with good prospects of doing so. Sure we've sold players to lower end premiership teams and done very well in the process. We should be proud that we're now a credible choice for young players from less prestigious clubs and leagues who see us as a good stepping stone. But Monaco sell players to PSG, Liverpool and Atletico Madrid! And Massengo was one of their most exciting talents.

There are links between us and Chelsea, links between Chelsea and Monaco and there is both opportunity and motive for CFC to encourage the player's representatives that this would be a good move for him to work with a team they trust and get used to English football culture ahead of a likely bid next summer when their embargo is lifted.

It's just a theory, but I like it because it  helps makes sense to me of something which would otherwise be surprising.

(And it requires zero dodgy-ness from BCFC).

Would you take a friendly £10 bet at evens that we receive a bid from Chelsea within the year? Given that I have no inside knowledge that's stupid good odds, but I don't want to take a controversial positition without being willing to stand behind it!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Hi @Phileas Fogg, I can't answer for anyone else but I like the theory and don't understand why it's being called a 'conspiracy' theory.

It's possible we signed this wonder kid without help but that would also be surprising. There's a way in which the market works - a natural pecking order - but this transfer subverts that.

Why would he sign for Bristol City? Monaco seems a better platform for a young player hoping to reach the top and with good prospects of doing so. Sure we've sold players to lower end premiership teams and done very well in the process. We should be proud that we're now a credible choice for young players from less prestigious clubs and leagues who see us as a good stepping stone. But Monaco sell players to PSG, Liverpool and Atletico Madrid! And Massengo was one of their most exciting talents.

There are links between us and Chelsea, links between Chelsea and Monaco and there is both opportunity and motive for CFC to encourage the player's representatives that this would be a good move for him to work with a team they trust and get used to English football culture ahead of a likely bid next summer when their embargo is lifted.

It's just a theory, but I like it because it  helps makes sense to me of something which would otherwise be surprising.

Would you take a friendly £10 bet at evens that we receive a bid from Chelsea within the year? Given that I have no inside knowledge that's stupid good odds, but I don't want to take a controversial positition without being willing to stand behind it!

Of course it's a conspiracy theory - it's people putting two and two together to suggest we've been underhand with our dealings. If this conspiracy theory were true, it would reflect very badly on the club and we'd incur some sort of investigation and possibly be penalised. I find it incredibly far-fetched to think Lansdown would allow goings on like that given his background.

As for your bet - no thanks.

• Like 3

I don't imagine for one second we've been underhand with our dealings. If (and it's only an interesting possibility) we've benefited from Chelsea's recommendation to the player's representatives, that's not dodgy. Like you I don't believe that Ashdown would consider a dodgy deal, and I'm glad of it.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

I don't imagine for one second we've been underhand with our dealings. If (and it's only an interesting possibility) we've benefited from Chelsea's recommendation to the player's representatives, that's not dodgy. Like you I don't believe that Ashdown would consider a dodgy deal, and I'm glad of it.

Whilst it is not inconceivable, it is so damn unlikely that it should be one for the 'Tupac is on Cuba' believers. Look at the evidence:

- We know where the rumour started. From here, from someone who freely admitted they made it up.
- The suggestion has been laughed off by the club. 
- If Massengo, Monaco and Chelsea were happy to do a deal, Chelsea could simply have purchased an 'option' on the player from Monaco and signed him next year. Better still, they could have done nothing but had a Gentleman's agreement with all parties. If Chelsea was his destination, there was no need to bring him to the UK and get us involved. Sure it may help him settle, but would the various parties get in potential hot water over a tri-partite transfer for the sake of having this lad live in England for 12 months earlier than anticipated? Seems unlikely.
- We paid for him. Surely the deal above makes most sense if its a loan move to us, if the aim was settling in England?
- As we paid for him, what happens if the unthinkable happens? Have we just laid out between 2.5m - 8m (depending upon who you believe) in the hope Chelsea buy him and there's no reason for them to renege on that deal (him not developing at speed, him turning his back on football, etc). 
- Why us? Why not Vitesse with whom they (Chelsea) have a very identifiable and formal pathway?
- Anyone else Chelsea have had 'bought on trust?'. Maybe United bought Maguire for Chelsea only to stop Man City getting him in the meantime? C'mon, the lad looks good, but how special must he be to be 'the one, and only one' Chelsea wanted and arranged this situation for. 

Edited by 29AR
  • Like 4

Hi @29AR, thanks for the answer. All good points. You're probably right. And I think people may be uncomfortable me discussing this for reasons that I disagree with but understand. So I'm going to drop it.

And just enjoy the fact that the football gods have given us Massengo.

Edited by Yellow&Blue&Red
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Whilst it is not inconceivable, it is so damn unlikely that it should be one for the 'Tupac is on Cuba' believers. Look at the evidence:

- We know where the rumour started. From here, from someone who freely admitted they made it up.
- The suggestion has been laughed off by the club. 
- If Massengo, Monaco and Chelsea were happy to do a deal, Chelsea could simply have purchased an 'option' on the player from Monaco and signed him next year. Better still, they could have done nothing but had a Gentleman's agreement with all parties. If Chelsea was his destination, there was no need to bring him to the UK and get us involved. Sure it may help him settle, but would the various parties get in potential hot water over a tri-partite transfer for the sake of having this lad live in England for 12 months earlier than anticipated? Seems unlikely.
- We paid for him. Surely the deal above makes most sense if its a loan move to us, if the aim was settling in England?
- As we paid for him, what happens if the unthinkable happens? Have we just laid out between 2.5m - 8m (depending upon who you believe) in the hope Chelsea buy him and there's no reason for them to renege on that deal (him not developing at speed, him turning his back on football, etc). 
- Why us? Why not Vitesse with whom they (Chelsea) have a very identifiable and formal pathway?
- Anyone else Chelsea have had 'bought on trust?'. Maybe United bought Maguire for Chelsea only to stop Man City getting him in the meantime? C'mon, the lad looks good, but how special must he be to be 'the one, and only one' Chelsea wanted and arranged this situation for. 

I mostly agree with your post, but one aspect I'm not 100% on- could they have purchased an 'option' while under transfer embargo?

29 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Hi @29AR, thanks for the answer. All good points. You're probably right. And I think people may be uncomfortable me discussing this for reasons that I disagree with but understand. So I'm going to drop it.

@Olé mentions that Monaco’s Sporting Director until last week my ex-Chelsea (Michael Emanalo), so will have dealt with us on the Tammy deal.

Darren Dein, his agent, has Kolo Toure on his books.  Who was doing his coaching badges (in France) with Macca during the summer?  Toure!!

Putting Chelsea to one side, as soon as City’s interest became known....why weren’t all the other clubs trying to gazump us?

• Like 2

He's going to have come to us for 1 reason ....first team football promise.

He plays well for us for 18 months / two years and we sell him ASAP and probably for a relatively low minimum fee release clause already agreed in his contract. 

Seems like this could be one of those players in ten years time who we can say....he used to play for Bristol city !!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Olé mentions that Monaco’s Sporting Director until last week my ex-Chelsea (Michael Emanalo), so will have dealt with us on the Tammy deal.

Darren Dein, his agent, has Kolo Toure on his books.  Who was doing his coaching badges (in France) with Macca during the summer?  Toure!!

Putting Chelsea to one side, as soon as City’s interest became known....why weren’t all the other clubs trying to gazump us?

There wasnt a huge amount of time was there?

By the things being said at the time Massengo had decided he wanted to come here- I'd guess some sort of agreement around how much playing time he could expect, given he seemed to be stuck with the youth teams under Monacos current coach (from comments on their forum). Remember, his Champions League games were under Henry.

Other clubs may have tried to go in, but if the player has made his mind up then it means little.

• Like 1

First phone call home

Mrs Massengo.         ‘comment allez-vous fils, que disent-ils de vous ‘

Han Noah.                  ‘ je vais bien , ils disent que mes cheveux son ‘F********t énormes ‘

(. Mrs M.      ‘ How are you son , what are they saying about you ?

HN.              ‘ Im fine ,  and they say that my hair is f*****g huge.     )

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

We can quibble over the precise definition of a conspiracy theory but what this has in common with such is that it is entirely supposition lacking any evidence.

It is superficially harmless fiction. The problem is that, as we have already found, it can quickly lead to people lacking critical thinking skills treating it as fact. It is then amplified by the social networking equivalent of the bloke down the pub and before you know it it has taken root like Japanese knotweed and the club has start denying a carve up with Chelsea to get around the transfer ban.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Couldn't you ask that about any transfer though? Why did nobody gazump us for Nagy for instance when he is obviously such a good player?

Perhaps we are just getting our act, and contacts, together increasingly well and getting a reputation as a good club to join if you want to improve as a player and enhance your career?

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Couldn't you ask that about any transfer though? Why did nobody gazump us for Nagy for instance when he is obviously such a good player?

Perhaps we are just getting our act, and contacts, together increasingly well and getting a reputation as a good club to join if you want to improve as a player and enhance your career?

Yeah, no doubt you are right.  Good scouting, good contacts and keeping things hush hush.

11 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Don’t underestimate Korey.  Fitness permitting, I think you will find he will make a significant contribution before the season is out. There are 42 league games to come yet.

That’s why I said disappointing as I really like Korey Smith and would like to be proved wrong. So fingers crossed and then I can apologise for that comment. I just see those three as being the  better players. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I mostly agree with your post, but one aspect I'm not 100% on- could they have purchased an 'option' while under transfer embargo?

Yes they could have. The embargo is on player registrations, rather than agreeing future transfers. 

So Chelsea could have agreed and paid for an option. It’s perfectly allowable under PL rules, however the option would have to have been registered with the PL... and no such option has been registered. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, City Ben said:

Yes they could have. The embargo is on player registrations, rather than agreeing future transfers. 

So Chelsea could have agreed and paid for an option. It’s perfectly allowable under PL rules, however the option would have to have been registered with the PL... and no such option has been registered. 

PL rules yes and I will assume that is all there but FIFA imposed the embargo- can't be bothered to try to trawl through FIFA and PL regs so yes I agree.

More than likely this is just a story that emanated on here- in which the original author since denied.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

We can quibble over the precise definition of a conspiracy theory but what this has in common with such is that it is entirely supposition lacking any evidence.

It is superficially harmless fiction. The problem is that, as we have already found, it can quickly lead to people lacking critical thinking skills treating it as fact. It is then amplified by the social networking equivalent of the bloke down the pub and before you know it it has taken root like Japanese knotweed and the club has start denying a carve up with Chelsea to get around the transfer ban.

You're not wrong- a quick search threw up.

Tweeted (innocently) not some random fan but Henry Winter who has a major following and is a football journalist of major repute! @BristolCity and @henrywinter appear to be tagged in the Tweet. The latter has a following of between 1m and 1.5m.

How these things can have potential to spread and rapidly, shows that an original author can lose control and quick!

Admittedly it hasn't gone far- but it could.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You're not wrong- a quick search threw up.

Tweeted (innocently) not some random fan but Henry Winter who has a major following and is a football journalist of major repute! @BristolCity and @henrywinter appear to be tagged in the Tweet. The latter has a following of between 1m and 1.5m.

How these things can spread and rapidly, shows that an original author can lose control and quick!

Thanks, point proven. Maybe people come up with this kind of unsubstantiated nonsense because they crave attention. Whether they do or not perhaps they should think about the potential consequences of their actions first.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair point. I guess so as they are only buying a right to make an offer. I’m not sure why they couldn’t have pre-arranged transfers which complete when the ban lifts. 

Part of me believes the ban is actually tied to registering players rather than anything else. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe because he was 17 ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

what are the words fir his song. 

Don’t know but it’s probably ripped off of Man Utd or Liverpool 

39 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Don’t know but it’s probably ripped off of Man Utd or Liverpool 

*other teams are available

• Like 1

We have been told that Massengo wanted regular first team games. Would he have been guaranteed that at any of the top European leagues given his age and minimal experience? The next best league is the Championship. Maybe we were just lucky that we had contacts and there is no ‘conspiracy’.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

PL rules yes and I will assume that is all there but FIFA imposed the embargo- can't be bothered to try to trawl through FIFA and PL regs so yes I agree.

More than likely this is just a story that emanated on here- in which the original author since denied.

6 hours ago, City Ben said:

This confirms the point that there is no need for Chelsea to enter into dubious arrangements to arrange transfers during the embargo on them registering players:

https://www.football365.com/news/chelsea-move-strongly-for-16-year-old-spanish-starlet

Not that it will make any difference to conspiracy theories I imagine. Facts rarely do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Then how can you explain the Gustav Engval transfer ?

the goldbergs beverly goldberg GIF by TV Land

26 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Han-Noah Massengo
Han-Noah Massengo
Drinks the vodka
Drinks the cider
Hair’s f’king massive

Rudolph, old chap , you appear to have come over all ‘ Tim Rice ‘ . 

You are what  Bernie Taupin is to Eric Morecombe . 

:laughcont:

Gawd, the conspiracy theory isn’t dying for some people is it, despite @Johnny Musicworks denying it!

I’ll reiterate my thoughts from when the signing was mooted. And although I do not believe in any way we have agreed an option/done underhand dealings with Chelsea, there is a totally plausible scenario (involving a tenuous link) which means HNM considered a move to us.

Imagine. You’re 17. Played CL for Monaco and desperately want to progress, but the new coach is having none of it. All of a sudden, a random English club who have never been in the premier league come in for you. You *may* have heard of them through the Man U game, the Angers transfers or (probably not) Diony, but on the whole you’re probably not too genned up on them. However, what you want to do is play football. In your dressing room your senior pro is Cesc Fabregas. You’re also on good terms with your old coach, Thierry Henry - so you ask them both what they know of this club, particularly with reference to developing young players. Cesc has first hand experience at his last club and can point to Tammys development, and also knows how Palmer, DaSilva and Kalas felt here. Both know of the huge fees and improvement after a season of Kelly and Webster.

And...that’s it. It’s no different to any other transfer. The player has more than likely sounded out people who he trusts about us, and that’s where the Chelsea link has helped. It’s possible (even i’d say probable) without our Chelsea signings we may not have got Han, but that’s down to our reputation rising from Tammy and others (and being known to someone close to Han), not an underhand deal. 

That simple. 

And now he’s here, check the interaction with Palmer on social media - lots of Big Man/Little Bro interaction. Reckon KPs taken him under his wing which can only help Palmer as well - think he sees himself as a senior player and that should bleed (as it is) into more responsible in pitch performances from Kasey.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@Silvio Dante Re Palmer.  I think people forget he’s on 22, younger than Brownhill, Eliasson, Szmodics, O’Dowda and Adelakun from our “young” midfield bunch.  

Might be a fancy playmaker, but not got the character flaws like many who play in his position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Silvio Dante Re Palmer.  I think people forget he’s on 22, younger than Brownhill, Eliasson, Szmodics, O’Dowda and Adelakun from our “young” midfield bunch.  

Might be a fancy playmaker, but not got the character flaws like many who play in his position.

Add Nagy and Massengo and that's a really young, strong midfield. Amazing how a couple of signings can really strengthen a position we've seemed to struggle with for a while. 

I daren't get excited ( it's city after all) but it does look very promising.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yup - he's a young un. Joe Morrell 22 as well and seemingly doing well at Lincoln with a senior call-up to Cymru too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Yup - he's a young un. Joe Morrell 22 as well and seemingly doing well at Lincoln with a senior call-up to Cymru too. 

Indeed, one very proud dad (I work with his father) in our office yesterday!

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Awesome. Don;t encourage him to sign up on here mind - just look at what happened with Wes Burns' old man! 

sad season 1 GIF

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Been impressed with the little I’ve seen, can count himself unlucky not to be nearer our first team.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Awesome. Don;t encourage him to sign up on here mind - just look at what happened with Wes Burns' old man! 

sad season 1 GIF

Did he join up expecting better, but end up having a gard days night?

Or am I getting those posters mixed up tbh?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

It's nothing to do with people being 'uncomfortable' about discussing it - it's simply because most people think its nonsense. Rumours like that, which @Johnny Musicworks admitted he conjured up with no basis, don't help the club. It's the sort of mud that sticks, it has already as evidenced by the bizarre amount of people still running with it.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's nothing to do with people being 'uncomfortable' about discussing it - it's simply because most people think its nonsense. Rumours like that, which @Johnny Musicworks admitted he conjured up with no basis, don't help the club. It's the sort of mud that sticks, it has already as evidenced by the bizarre amount of people still running with it.

Indeed it doesn't and the mud can stick.

Clearly no basis in fact but as I highlighted yesterday, someone Tweeted Henry Winter with the rumour (innocently) and the club was tagged too- they heard it somewhere apparently- dunno if the game or similar.

Fortunately most people see it for what it is, an untrue rumour,

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed it doesn't and the mud can stick.

Clearly no basis in fact but as I highlighted yesterday, someone Tweeted Henry Winter with the rumour (innocently) and the club was tagged too- they heard it somewhere apparently- dunno if the game or similar.

Fortunately most people see it for what it is, an untrue rumour,

I saw that tweet, what were you trying to highlight there? All I can see is someone tweeting Winter - were you showing how quickly the rumour can spread that some random person has mentioned it?

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I saw that tweet, what were you trying to highlight there? All I can see is someone tweeting Winter - were you showing how quickly the rumour can spread that some random person has mentioned it?

Okay maybe I overreacted to it, main aspect was that he heard it somewhere then quoted Winter- add in the potential for social media amplifier effect and it has potential to spread, though fortunately it seems it has not.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay maybe I overreacted to it, main aspect was that he heard it somewhere then quoted Winter- add in the potential for social media amplifier effect and it has potential to spread, though fortunately it seems it has not.

Oh I see, i'm with you. Just looks like some guy tweeting Winter about it but @'ing Bristol City. I can understand why people would put 2+2 together on something like this, but surprised by how eager some people seem for it to be true.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

True Dave.

Point I was trying to get to was that I think Kasey on a permanent is a different proposition to Kasey on loan. Last year was a bit of a curates egg - some very good performances but some which could be described as lazy.

Since he’s been back there are signs it’s a different player in terms of maturity. The signing interview where he mentioned the family and this now being his home, the increased responsibility being shown in matches - and “mentoring” Han-Noah is just another strand to that. At the age of 22 that’s impressive and showing a mature character.

Or to put it another way, he’s showing the fans - as well as their wives- his “DNA”

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wouldn't say anything that I think could hurt the club. I don't think this could hurt the club partly because I don't think the club has done anything wrong as I've been careful to point out in nearly every post I've made about it.

You and others disagree and I respect that so I decided to drop it.

That's all I was saying.

2 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

I wouldn't say anything that I think could hurt the club. I don't think this could hurt the club partly because I don't think the club has done anything wrong as I've been careful to point out in nearly every post I've made about it.

You and others disagree and I respect that so I decided to drop it.

That's all I was saying.

No, the rumour spreading has the potential to be unwanted dirt that could stick. I can see why people put 2+2 together, and I can see why people see it as plausible.. but when the poster who started the rumour admitted he just made it up - and considering Lansdown is historically very careful and prudent, it doesn't seem very likely.