Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JonDolman

Massengo

Can I just once again stress my THEORY was one of several expressed as happens daily on any forum. it is very different from a rumour that alleges  to have a basis in fact. Yes it evolved into a rumour (never my intention) and became so because other people either tried to take ownership of its source by claiming ITK knowledge or found the theory credible.

I think in future that maybe I should refrain from speculating on plausible scenarios in forum discussions less my humour is again mistaken for attacks on individuals or the clubs reputation  . Maybe I should also write to NASA and apologise for retweeting that the Moon Landing was fake in case I have damaged their credibility or that the Gas are getting a new stadium which is the wildest and most ridiculous theory yet.

Now if I could just get back to enjoying my teams good start to the season perhaps we can put the Theory to bed, at least until our little French Prince  himself moves on anyway.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Can I just once again stress my THEORY was one of several expressed as happens daily on any forum. it is very different from a rumour that alleges  to have a basis in fact. Yes it evolved into a rumour (never my intention) and became so because other people either tried to take ownership of its source by claiming ITK knowledge or found the theory credible.

I think in future that maybe I should refrain from speculating on plausible scenarios in forum discussions less my humour is again mistaken for attacks on individuals or the clubs reputation  . Maybe I should also write to NASA and apologise for retweeting that the Moon Landing was fake in case I have damaged their credibility or that the Gas are getting a new stadium which is the wildest and most ridiculous theory yet.

Now if I could just get back to enjoying my teams good start to the season perhaps we can put the Theory to bed, at least until our little French Prince  himself moves on anyway.

Somebody told my cousin that if you take all the initial letters of every fourth word in your post, they are an anagram of “ we definitely did this”.  Shame on you! 🤫🤫

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I shouldn’t worry about it Johnny and I wish people would stop throwing mud in your direction 

It’s a forum , for discussion and was a discussion a number of us took art in 

The fact that it’s spread into rumour around the social media world is not your fault and there are a million things swilling around on the world of the internet a whole lot worse

F***** Em Johnny , and forget about it , don’t bother defending yourself , you don’t need to  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

As you noticed, I was initially irritated by the spread of this "Chelsea theory", but now I've flipped and won't be happy until I've heard it quoted as fact on Sky Sports!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I don't doubt your intentions were benign, though it's worth bearing in mind that there are people who will seize on this kind of thing and escalate it until it becomes accepted as legitimate. There were one or two on here who seemed to be keen for it to be true, though heaven knows why.

It was also not difficult to establish, as @City Benpointed out above and as the link I posted confirmed, that there was no need for Chelsea to enter into any arrangement with City as they could have secured a deal for the player and registered him when the embargo on registering players is lifted.

Let's hope this just dies a quiet death.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I don't doubt your intentions were benign, though it's worth bearing in mind that there are people who will seize on this kind of thing and escalate it until it becomes accepted as legitimate. There were one or two on here who seemed to be keen for it to be true, though heaven knows why.

That's exactly my point. Wasn't having a go at @Johnny Musicworks as such, just referencing him because he was the rumour starter to show that it originated from here and nowhere else.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's exactly my point. Wasn't having a go at @Johnny Musicworks as such, just referencing him because he was the rumour starter to show that it originated from here and nowhere else.

We don’t even know that 

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We don’t even know that 

Well, unless someone else had exactly the same idea as Mr. Musicworks and spread it - this seems to be the place it originated from. 

But as Johnny M said, it's just his speculation and probably best not to pick it over much more. 

Only way this can be resolved is if HNM comes out in public and commits his future to Bristol City.

Oh wait he has done when he signed a multi year permanent contract and moved himself and his family to Bristol.

come on eye roll GIF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well, unless someone else had exactly the same idea as Mr. Musicworks and spread it - this seems to be the place it originated from. 

But as Johnny M said, it's just his speculation and probably best not to pick it over much more. 

Do you think OTIB was the only place , Internet or various other places , this left field transfer rumour was being discussed ?

The smoke may have emanated from here , but I have to say it’s somewhat ironic that people are still throwing darts at Johnny ‘for creating an unsubstantiated rumour’  

whilst it’s ok to blame him as the sole source for the said rumour , when that itself is totally unsubstantiated or proven 

Again ironically , The witch-hunt is more bizarre than the transfer ever appeared itself 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Do you think OTIB was the only place , Internet or various other places , this left field transfer rumour was being discussed ?

The smoke may have emanated from here , but I have to say it’s somewhat ironic that people are still throwing darts at Johnny ‘for creating an unsubstantiated rumour’  

whilst it’s ok to blame him as the sole source for the said rumour , when that itself is totally unsubstantiated or proven 

Again ironically , The witch-hunt is more bizarre than the transfer ever appeared itself 

Unless anyone else can show it being discussed elsewhere before it was posted here, it seems that this is where it originated.

I don't really think it's a 'witch hunt' at all; just people referencing where the rumour came from. I don't see people giving the poster any abuse for it, just questioning the content of the rumour and those that are spreading it. It is relevant to cite JM as the source, because most posters don't have inside knowledge - something JM admits. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

Didn't someone on OSIB clarify that Chelsea can make signings anyway, they just cant be registered to play for them until after the ban? This would make the whole thing a nonsense if true.

38 minutes ago, Just8 said:

Didn't someone on OSIB clarify that Chelsea can make signings anyway, they just cant be registered to play for them until after the ban? This would make the whole thing a nonsense if true.

@City Ben pointed this out above:

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/202817-massengo/&do=findComment&comment=3593307

Laughable to even suggest such shite. There is nothing stopping Chelsea whatsoever to have contacted Massengo previously and tell him to keep his head down until the end of the current season with Monaco with the promise of them signing him as soon as their ban is over, we’d be fools to do such a thing as the rumour suggests, no doubt if such deal did exist then I’m fairly certain that a fee would of already been agreed with Chelsea (not a big fee either I very much doubt) and with what he’s shown so far and I have no doubt he’s only going to get better, then we could well miss out on millions.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Unless anyone else can show it being discussed elsewhere before it was posted here, it seems that this is where it originated.

I don't really think it's a 'witch hunt' at all; just people referencing where the rumour came from. I don't see people giving the poster any abuse for it, just questioning the content of the rumour and those that are spreading it. It is relevant to cite JM as the source, because most posters don't have inside knowledge - something JM admits. 

Saw it on Twitter having done a quick search on August 4th 2019.

I won't link Twitter accounts after my error in Monday's thread- 🙈- but it's findable if you type in Massengo Chelsea. Wonder which one came first, the one on here or the one on there. :dunno:

FWIW I don't believe it to be true and I don't also believe the rumour has spread to any worrying levels.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yep that’s right. 

I actually had the same thought as johnnymusicworks at the same kind of time. My idea was a little different though - what if Chelsea wanted to buy him but can’t because they can’t loan all their players out any more, under the new rules. 

If someone like Chelsea wants to continue to stockpile young talent, the changes to loan rules mean they need to find a new strategy. One such strategy might be encouraging their “feeder” teams to buy the player, with an option to buy him later if he does well. Again, all perfectly legal.

Thats a slightly different theory to us simply buying him because they can’t due to the embargo. 

There is logic to the idea, but of course that doesn’t mean it’s happened! 

5 hours ago, mozo said:

As you noticed, I was initially irritated by the spread of this "Chelsea theory", but now I've flipped and won't be happy until I've heard it quoted as fact on Sky Sports!! Frank Lampard is asked to deny it during one of his pre-match press interviews.