IGNORED

Kasey Palmer - what an enigma

Lez

Moments of brilliance combined with a laziness that damages the whole side. 

Charges back and does a brilliant slide tackle then spends the next 10 mins walking around doing nothing both in and out of possession.

Controls and dictates everything and then stands still when he should be trying to come deep and gather possession.

I thought he was poor today....really really poor, and dont let the odd driving defensive run mean he suddenly has high work rate because for 60 minutes this guy was not interested and that is a huge part as to why in spells we were so poor.

I dont know what to make of him moments of brilliance but I really fear his laziness will effect us like it did today....both him and brownhill failing to make themselves available time and time again.

11 minutes ago, Lez said:

Moments of brilliance combined with a laziness that damages the whole side. 

Charges back and does a brilliant slide tackle then spends the next 10 mins walking around doing nothing both in and out of possession.

Controls and dictates everything and then stands still when he should be trying to come deep and gather possession.

I thought he was poor today....really really poor, and dont let the odd driving defensive run mean he suddenly has high work rate because for 60 minutes this guy was not interested and that is a huge part as to why in spells we were so poor.

I dont know what to make of him moments of brilliance but I really fear his laziness will effect us like it did today....both him and brownhill failing to make themselves available time and time again.

Where have we seen this before???

I can’t believe this thread exists, I thought he did more defensively today than I have ever seen from him. He looks at least a yard faster over a short distance this season and his stamina is much improved. 

I would have started a thread about how well he helped us defend from up top. 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I can’t believe this thread exists, I thought he did more defensively today than I have ever seen from him. He looks at least a yard faster over a short distance this season and his stamina is much improved. 

He needs to do more when we are in possession. He was so static along with brownhill meaning our full backs and cbs had nothing on. At all. 

Yes he charged back and made a couple if sliding tackles....doesnt mask the fact the other time he is stood there doing very little.

I also thought his work rate was a lot higher. Didn't get on the ball more than enough and like the rest of our midfield were ten yards too deep however I didn't notice him being lazy? I actually think the players don't actually know what to do. Whether when to press, when to not. who to mark ect.

1 minute ago, MelksRed said:

Why does this  have echoes of Tomlin?...... great in the loan then apparently less enthusiastic once the deal is signed......what was the kicking the ball away incident all about?.....not in a city shirt please......

Hope I'm wrong......(tin hat on!)

Really? He didn’t look that great on loan and he is looking much better already now that he has signed permanently and I think he will only improve with more game time and training 

Just now, Big C said:

Really? He didn’t look that great on loan and he is looking much better already now that he has signed permanently and I think he will only improve with more game time and training 

Hope so.....my concern isn't about his ability....its his engagement....he had a good few tackles today (as previously mentioned)....he did make a pain of himself but he also went missing for periods......

I'm not overly impressed by him to be fair.....just my opinion....I know that there are others who will counter my argument.....which I additionally respect....its not a case of who is right or wrong.....just discourse! ?

I think at our level you have to expect that with players like Palmer. He's in the side to provide the moments that change games like the through balls her picked out at Birmingham. The price is he's not the hardest working. In the Pre this sort of player do both but that's why Palmer is playing in the championship. 

If he can create clear cut chances every game, for me, he's worth it.

42 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I can't believe the match day thread exists.

I don't get when scoring two goals, keeping a clean sheet and getting 3 points is still not enough for some..... which is probably why they don't go to BS3!

47 minutes ago, Genghis Khan's pants said:

Harsh - I thought he was pretty decent defensively today which was great to see as not that long ago some deemed him as completely lacking in that department  IIRC

Yeah I agree he put in lots of important tackles today and worked hard

I’m not sure it’s laziness, the 100mph helter skelter ,game today not his ideal sort of game and I don’t think he’s up to the pace of a 90 min game of that sort atm 

I thought he dug in a couple of times to run back,  but I think it’s fitness rather than attitude that need some building 

49 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Nor me, thought his game was about working hard today, certainly the most I’ve seen him doing that side of his game.  Didn’t get on the ball much, but can’t fault his effort today.  Sometimes wonder what other’s agendas are.  He’s not gonna unlock defences every week....

32 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Radio commentary mentioned he was tracking back and putting in tackles, also that QPR had Amos, I think, man marking him all the way through at least the first half, taking him out of the game almost completely going forward.

....and as you say they sat Amos on him whenever they lost the ball.

956A6CB2-3151-4305-A461-FACB22ED8F75.jpeg

Was very surprised by his running today. Definitely improving in that area. Don't think we got the ball in those areas enough today. Certainly first half all the front 3 struggled to get in the game, it was mainly all QPR, who I was impressed with.

I thought he was busy in defence and extremely well marshalled in attack - I think QPR were well drilled and had a good game plan and part of that was to cancel him out but that tactic allowed plenty of space for the disappointing Hunt and the ever busy and more impressive Wiemann.

6 out of 10 performance from Palmer which is good enough compared to some of the 4 out of 10 cameos in his loan spell.

I think people think he is going to ping it about every game but that will not happen at this level - look at Bradley Dack who kept Palmer out at Blackburn - he can go from world beater to really poor one game to the next at it is often the tactics employed and not the players willingness or attitude.

If Palmer had the defensive qualities and ability that some seem to expect, along with his attacking flair, then he'd be worth £20m and playing in the Prem.

Judging by his comments on signing I think he will benefit from being settled permenantlt at a club, with his family. He seems fitter and more motivated and seems to be working harder on the defensive side of his game. 

If it comes together then I reckon he will be the player we've missed to u lock defences. 

We could well have a wealth of riches in midfield. 

I thought he was ok. But yet again like some if his cameos last season was stuck out on the left wing.

Ultimately he's at his most effective working behind a frontman or front two threading the passes through, but not sure what kind of formation we can play to allow him to do this.

I personally thought Nagy was superb in the first half for these sort of balls. Which rather negated having Palmer on the pitch.

A game of opinions I suppose. But I cannot agree with most of that. You only had to look at LJ’s reaction to him coming off to know he put in a shift. If we are talking about players hiding, I’d put a few in front of him! Agree he wasn’t at his best during the first 30 minutes. But thought overall he did ok. Will be imo a great signing. COYR 

I like Palmer and he showed in flashes how good he can be. He worked hard at times and made some decent tackles. 

That said - I'd go back to what LJ said about him needing a whole preseason with us. I think he needs mentoring regarding his positioning/tracking without the ball (much like the vastly improved Eliasson did when he arrived here). There were moments where he stopped and waited for the ball and moments where others had to track his runners. 

I think he'll come good here and I don't at all think he was bad today, just a couple of things that could do with some work. 

Nice to have some options in midfield. 

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

Palmer has been one of our best players so far, today confirmed that. Thought he looked fit, hungry and tracked back a lot. It’s amazing how some people call that lazy, but Weimann running around in the wrong places is acceptable... 

I saw exactly what you saw,that’s what makes places like this so interesting,it’s all opinions 

Archived