IGNORED

Kasey Palmer - what an enigma

Lez

2 hours ago, Lez said:

Moments of brilliance combined with a laziness that damages the whole side. 

Charges back and does a brilliant slide tackle then spends the next 10 mins walking around doing nothing both in and out of possession.

Controls and dictates everything and then stands still when he should be trying to come deep and gather possession.

I thought he was poor today....really really poor, and dont let the odd driving defensive run mean he suddenly has high work rate because for 60 minutes this guy was not interested and that is a huge part as to why in spells we were so poor.

I dont know what to make of him moments of brilliance but I really fear his laziness will effect us like it did today....both him and brownhill failing to make themselves available time and time again.

Agree...but I don't think it's pure laziness...more to do with fitness levels and how he see's himself as a player. Get the ball at his feet and he gets the energy...like Tomlin, JET, Jackie before him. Lose the ball and he'll try to recover his mistake.

It's his movements off the ball that need improving. First half he was just meandering. You had him doing this, Weimann running around like a headless chicken into ridiculous positions and Adobe sitting on the shoulder. 

The rest of the team in the first half really struggled to get quality balls to those three, as all three were playing a totally different game.

Second half...QPR had to go for it...space opened up and LJ got them working harder. 

Think we would have struggled if we had gone behind first half tbh.

If only the front 3 could get more in sync with the rest of the team.

Fingers crossed soon.

2 hours ago, Lez said:

He needs to do more when we are in possession. He was so static along with brownhill meaning our full backs and cbs had nothing on. At all. 

Yes he charged back and made a couple if sliding tackles....doesnt mask the fact the other time he is stood there doing very little.

Well, I've seen him play loads of times and the last thing he could be accused of is static imo.

You want static - watch Diedhiou impersonating a statue.

Palmer is a class player always on the move imo.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, I've seen him play loads of times and the last thing he could be accused of is static imo.

You want static - watch Diedhiou impersonating a statue.

Palmer is a class player always on the move imo.

Spudksi 2nd paragraph sums up my thoughts nicely 

19 minutes ago, Lez said:

Spudksi 2nd paragraph sums up my thoughts nicely 

Not bothered or impressed by that - I'll make up my own mind.

The guy is young and will make mistakes.

We have to wait until that is ironed out, in the meantime he is a class act that will get better.

26 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not bothered or impressed by that - I'll make up my own mind.

The guy is young and will make mistakes.

We have to wait until that is ironed out, in the meantime he is a class act that will get better.

A class act on the ball...off it, less so. No one is saying he can't improve...just pointing out where he needs to improve.

Some players don't...some do.

One of the reasons we were so poor in that first half is that when in possession very few, if any, actually wanted the ball. The only player who had space was Hunt and he was continually ignored. Most players were hiding. This resulted in aimless punts from Baker in particular.

On occasions 2-3 players, normally one of which was Palmer, occupied the same space which was impossible to pass towards for the man in possession.

In the second half, things improved.

New team and all that. But we need to improve quickly as we are easy to play against. 

49 minutes ago, RedRock said:

One of the reasons we were so poor in that first half is that when in possession very few, if any, actually wanted the ball. The only player who had space was Hunt and he was continually ignored. Most players were hiding. This resulted in aimless punts from Baker in particular.

On occasions 2-3 players, normally one of which was Palmer, occupied the same space which was impossible to pass towards for the man in possession.

In the second half, things improved.

New team and all that. But we need to improve quickly as we are easy to play against. 

Agree with this. I actually thought we were quite poor. The players don't know the system so that can't help. But we hadn't a clue when to press, who to mark. Alot of pointing but not a great deal of cohesion. Still haven't a clue what 'style' we are going for. 

That being said the positives outweigh the negatives today. It's still early days with time to improve. 

Roll on Tuesday!

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

This is a very strange thread; such diametrically opposed views of a player. Interesting though. 

That'll be The Enigma Variations.

20 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

For KP to shine he has got to be given the ball in the right areas, so he can feed the front 2, he seemed to get increasingly frustrated by the lack of service and had to start coming deep to get the ball, which is not where he is going to hurt the opposition

On the contrary, when he comes deep is when he’s most likely going to affect the match.

More than once yesterday he picked the ball up deep and was able to turn and run at their defence.

V Brum he was largely ineffective until he started to come deeper. 

His problem is he was stuck too close to the strikers yesterday, giving us 3 strikers and a large gap to the more holding midfielders in Josh and Adam

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

On the contrary, when he comes deep is when he’s most likely going to affect the match.

More than once yesterday he picked the ball up deep and was able to turn and run at their defence.

V Brum he was largely ineffective until he started to come deeper. 

His problem is he was stuck too close to the strikers yesterday, giving us 3 strikers and a large gap to the more holding midfielders in Josh and Adam

No don't agree with that, when he is coming back and taking the ball off a dendeder 5 yards away, or off the keeper, he has the whole of the opposition team in front of him, he needs to be getting the ball in their half or by the halfway so he can try to create for the strikers not getting the ball near our penalty area, he is not playing as a defensive midfielder

17 hours ago, Lez said:

Moments of brilliance combined with a laziness that damages the whole side. 

Charges back and does a brilliant slide tackle then spends the next 10 mins walking around doing nothing both in and out of possession.

Controls and dictates everything and then stands still when he should be trying to come deep and gather possession.

I thought he was poor today....really really poor, and dont let the odd driving defensive run mean he suddenly has high work rate because for 60 minutes this guy was not interested and that is a huge part as to why in spells we were so poor.

I dont know what to make of him moments of brilliance but I really fear his laziness will effect us like it did today....both him and brownhill failing to make themselves available time and time again.

Enigma yes but I thought he worked pretty hard yesterday.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

No don't agree with that, when he is coming back and taking the ball off a dendeder 5 yards away, or off the keeper, he has the whole of the opposition team in front of him, he needs to be getting the ball in their half or by the halfway so he can try to create for the strikers not getting the ball near our penalty area, he is not playing as a defensive midfielder

Think that’s right.

He needs to play in and around the centre circle, preferably on the opponents side. We need to get the ball forward quick to him. With runners ahead and breaking midfielders/wing backs. Didn’t see much of that. Hence why I thought he had a quiet and fairly ineffectual game. 

He has a skill set which could cause panic in the opposition defence. We need to adapt our game if we are going to see his true value. Losing Webster who could play the ball quickly and accurately to Kasey from defence is a big loss. 

How the other midfielders adapt and work around him, particularly the likes of Josh, is another conundrum. 

Hopefully Lee can find the formula. If he can, happy days. 

Archived