IGNORED

Afobe

MC RISK77

Just a reminder of my previous post which gives some insight into his much better play - he will be a star for us: Apologies for those who have read it before.

"Before people get their minds made up, here's a few things that really need to be taken into account.

For the last 2 yrs he has been poor to average, before that, a really decent championship standard striker - I think all would agree.

So why did it go wrong?

Benik had children. And with all young 'uns they disrupt your entire life and routine.

This can be detrimental to a professional sportsperson.

Now, in Benik's case - one of his children was poorly. Nothing life threatening, but enough to not sleep at night, have to frequently go to the Dr's etc.

It causes stress - it would to all of us.

So Benik wasn't sleeping himself, he would get up and share childcare duties with his wife. 

He started to eat rubbish, as he was tired or running late.

His training standards fell as he was tired and gaining weight.

The circle continued.

His child is now better.

I am led to believe that Benik has lost nearly 5 kg since last year, and is training at a really good level. He is now fit again.

He is in a much better head space, as he isn't worried about his child all the time.

Stoke have suddenly told him he is surplus, and if we want him next year, we can buy him.

So we now have a fit, mentally clear-headed player with excellent proven form at this level with a serious point to prove to his ex-club.

He will do very well here at City."

7 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Just a reminder of my previous post which gives some insight into his much better play - he will be a star for us: Apologies for those who have read it before.

"Before people get their minds made up, here's a few things that really need to be taken into account.

For the last 2 yrs he has been poor to average, before that, a really decent championship standard striker - I think all would agree.

So why did it go wrong?

Benik had children. And with all young 'uns they disrupt your entire life and routine.

This can be detrimental to a professional sportsperson.

Now, in Benik's case - one of his children was poorly. Nothing life threatening, but enough to not sleep at night, have to frequently go to the Dr's etc.

It causes stress - it would to all of us.

So Benik wasn't sleeping himself, he would get up and share childcare duties with his wife. 

He started to eat rubbish, as he was tired or running late.

His training standards fell as he was tired and gaining weight.

The circle continued.

His child is now better.

I am led to believe that Benik has lost nearly 5 kg since last year, and is training at a really good level. He is now fit again.

He is in a much better head space, as he isn't worried about his child all the time.

Stoke have suddenly told him he is surplus, and if we want him next year, we can buy him.

So we now have a fit, mentally clear-headed player with excellent proven form at this level with a serious point to prove to his ex-club.

He will do very well here at City."

A striker at the top of his game, with the quality of service that surrounds him.

I predict a RIOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Only guessing...."..............  but , for various / whatever reasons , having had little chance or game time here - I would think it was hardly a positive time for him 

* edit   I’m referring to Woodrow in case you think I’m referring to Afobe 

Oh I thought you meant Afobe! Haha

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In fairness to @Davefevs, I don’t think Woodrow is a bad player at all.. just the wrong time for I’m to be here.

He needed a run of starts to find his best form and never got that. Then again, with the form of Reid and the arrival of Diedhiou that season it wasn’t realistic.

Think he’ll go on to have a good career at this level.

Think you’ve jumped and  grabbbed the wrong end of the stick here PF

Dave was one of the few to see the quality in Woodrow , and hence my post in a ‘One for you Dave’ 

I reckon to pick up BA for a season loan and option to buy could be a masterstroke. Has been quality at this level and can see him being good for us.Good pace,strength and decent in the air. Just feel a bit for Fam at the moment because if BA had to come back and defend every corner and set piece against us he would maybe struggle like Fam does.

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think you’ve jumped and  grabbbed the wrong end of the stick here PF

Dave was one of the few to see the quality in Woodrow , and hence my post in a ‘One for you Dave’ 

Was just commenting on CW generally as I remember Dave being one of the few on here that rated Woodrow. Wasn’t necessarily commenting on what you’d posted directly.

14 minutes ago, pillred said:

Hopefully we have agreed a price as well, otherwise if he plays like I think he will we may have to pay a fortune for him.

We will have an agreed fee pillred :thumbsup:  (Otherwise an option to buy doesn’t actually mean or change anything)

KITR indicates the fee is very attractive to us but reading the Stoke forum they desperately want him off the wages , indicating he’d probably have to take a significant cut to come here or a package that resolves this 

They were paying Berahino £70k a week !! 

?

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You and me both Dave.

Of course I don't expect everybody to agree with us. I respect their right to be wrong.?

Listening to him on an interview in week Barnsley was a perfect fit for him - he was saying as he needs to be playing regularly to get near his best

Think he’s proved his ability there and Tbf to Fevs , and yourself or others who saw his potential , I could understand why he wasn’t starting and didn’t think he’d be as heavy in goals as he’s been at Barnsley

We wanted him on a permanent and agreed a fee with Stoke, but Benik didn’t want to commit so a loan with option was agreed. Let’s hope he settles in Bristol and enjoys playing for City and we can get him end of the season. 

45 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We will have an agreed fee pillred :thumbsup:  (Otherwise an option to buy doesn’t actually mean or change anything)

KITR indicates the fee is very attractive to us but reading the Stoke forum they desperately want him off the wages , indicating he’d probably have to take a significant cut to come here or a package that resolves this 

They were paying Berahino £70k a week !! 

?

True, but Stoke signed Berahino when they were still in the Prem, plus were chasing him for over a year.

Afobe was signed after Stoke were relegated to the Championship. He won't be on anywhere near £70k.

13 hours ago, Magicdaps said:

Genuine turn of pace, something that we've missed for as long as I can remember.

Seemed to visibly grow during the game and you could see the smile on his face at times, also looked like he grew in confidence and self belief directly in parallel with the love from the stands, something he's perhaps been starved of at Stoke. 

Feels like a good fit for all parties and I've got a feeling that he's going to flourish ?

Strikers thrive on confidence. Only players who are at the very top of the game can ignore the criticism and not let a poor run of form ruin your confidence 

Get behind this kid, and once he gets a couple more goals....his confidence will return and I think we could have a real player on our hands here 

You don't lose ability over night. Confidence you can....ability you don't 

Get behind him and he will score goals 

59 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

KITR indicates the fee is very attractive to us but reading the Stoke forum they desperately want him off the wages ,?

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/289616/afobe-scores

They are welcome to him and his wages!

16 minutes ago, Selred said:

We wanted him on a permanent and agreed a fee with Stoke, but Benik didn’t want to commit so a loan with option was agreed. Let’s hope he settles in Bristol and enjoys playing for City and we can get him end of the season. 

I can understand that attitude. Given what`s happened to him over the last couple of years he must want to make sure that his next permanent move is the right one.

17 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

My man of match today, ran his socks off worked the channels, put pressure on their defenders and took his chance clinically. Tough on Fam but think he will find it hard to get a starting place this season if today is anything to go by

Clever player, a proper outlet and kept the oppositon honest all game.

Great attitude and streetwise.

Really pleased for him and reckon he might prove a few doubters wrong this season.

21 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Strikers thrive on confidence. Only players who are at the very top of the game can ignore the criticism and not let a poor run of form ruin your confidence 

Get behind this kid, and once he gets a couple more goals....his confidence will return and I think we could have a real player on our hands here 

You don't lose ability over night. Confidence you can....ability you don't 

Get behind him and he will score goals 

After he scored yesterday his confidence and energy seemed to go through the roof.

it can only be a positive for him and the club that he has got on the score sheet so soon and the fans singing his name. He looked well pumped at the end of the game

He needs to be scoring us 15-20 goals this season to give us any chance of challenging the top 6

36 minutes ago, Touch_my_butter said:

True, but Stoke signed Berahino when they were still in the Prem, plus were chasing him for over a year.

Afobe was signed after Stoke were relegated to the Championship. He won't be on anywhere near £70k.

Wouldn’t think he was

But he was their marquee signing to shoot them straight back up , and around the same time they gave Centre half , Ryan Shawcross a new £55k a week contract !

2 hours ago, Touch_my_butter said:

£27k per week on Football Manager database???  Might not be a million miles off.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

£27k per week on Football Manager database???  Might not be a million miles off.

Interestingly he never comes up on any leaked lists but I’d be surprised at £27k tbh Dave - when you look at some of the wages they are still paying , and whe;they signed him (First year of parachute payments - and he was their marquee signing at that time)

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/stoke-city-f.c/payroll/

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interestingly he never comes up on any leaked lists but I’d be surprised at £27k tbh Dave - when you look at some of the wages they are still paying , and whe;they signed him (First year of parachute payments - and he was their marquee signing at that time)

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/stoke-city-f.c/payroll/

Yeah, quite possibly, any possibility that either Bournemouth or Wolves might be laying some?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, quite possibly, any possibility that either Bournemouth or Wolves might be laying some?

Interesting thought

Wolves possibly - when they went up they had to buy him for £12m as a result of a promotion clause in his loan deal  but didn’t want him and the reason he was immediately sold to Stoke 

So definitely a possibility

The fact they were handing £55k to Shawcross around the same time is frightening 

My only other thought is , we will know what he’s currently on , and thus why would we bother with an option to buy if he was clearly way out of reach wages wise on a perm 

Need to do some ruthless housekeeping though

Archived