IGNORED

QPR

Lez

Fair play to Warbuton didnt just shove 11 men behind the ball like one or two did last season. Always liked him as a manager got a tough job there though.

Thought they were really average. Ropey at the back and not a huge threat up top....I wanted us to go for Hugill but doesnt look nearly as Mobile or pacey as Afobe....a target man but a limited one.

They had a lot of possession but did very little with it.

Thought there best player was the number 20 out wide looked there only real threat and other than the header it all seemed pretty comfortable.

Seeing that was nearly their full strength team I worry that Amos and Smith are gena struggle at this level....neat and tidy but I thought the game passed them by especially Smith.

Lower mid table team, need to upgrade in all positions really but hope they give warburton time....17th 18yh I recon

1 minute ago, Lez said:

He usually plays cm for them but their left back is injured.

I thought I read or heard in the build up that Manning will keep his place, even though Wallace is available.

Nice pretty patterns without the cutting edge today. Not sure whether Hugill suits the way they play tbh. Will win some, lose some but have enough to be in the Championship next season. Eeze and Samuel are old fashioned wide players in terms of World Beater one week, Panel Beater the next.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Nice pretty patterns without the cutting edge today. Not sure whether Hugill suits the way they play tbh. Will win some, lose some but have enough to be in the Championship next season. Eeze and Samuel are old fashioned wide players in terms of World Beater one week, Panel Beater the next.

Maybe he's just not that great.

Never understood the love for him on here.

They really pressed us hard and had the right tactics in the first half, to the extent that until Bentley started kicking it long, we couldn’t get out of our own half.

No.20 for them was an outlet all game, and when he ran direct was a real threat. Bit of a dying swan when tackled though.

The real issue was there lack of bite up front. Good for us but not for them. Need to get Wells playing more regularly as I don’t see Hugill offering much based on that performance.

7 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

We made them look very average. A very comfortable win today. Are they poor or are we decent?

Judging by OTIBs track record in praising City/LJ too much, they were poor. 

Well we all see things differently. Thought they were better than us first half and the black lad  (Eze I think who resembles the Liverpool forward)  was really mobile and liked his game. It made me laugh (and him) when a chorus boomed out

' your only a sh1te Casey Palmer'   The was good humour !!  I thought Hugill would have caused us problems but it shows what a good game Bakes and kalus had. LJ said bakes was back to his best, and he was.

At end we deserved the points. QPR. Mid table.  Good manager.  We can only get better

I thought QPR pressed us well, were mobile and found space effectively. For the first 30 mins it felt to me like it was only going to be a matter of time before they were going to score.

Their keeper was dodgy, though, and ultimately they were toothless up front.

17 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Well we all see things differently. Thought they were better than us first half and the black lad  (Eze I think who resembles the Liverpool forward)  was really mobile and liked his game. It made me laugh (and him) when a chorus boomed out

' your only a sh1te Casey Palmer'   The was good humour !!  I thought Hugill would have caused us problems but it shows what a good game Bakes and kalus had. LJ said bakes was back to his best, and he was.

At end we deserved the points. QPR. Mid table.  Good manager.  We can only get better

Eze is a class act

If we hadn’t homed in on Palmer I’d love to have seen us make a cheeky enquiry in the window gone (Don’t think for a moment we would have got him )

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

They were awful and made us look even worse than that for the first 30 mins or so. A better team would have had us buried before we scored the first. But after we scored we never looked threatened despite how poor we were. 

Not sure they were awful but agree a good side , a Norwich Of last season would have damaged us in the first half

I think we might be in for a season like today with quite a few bumps and I don’t expect us to be a real top end threat tbh

If we can form a side utilising the abilities of our more obvious pluses and sort out the couple of obvious deficiencies / areas we have the elements , at least , of a very decent side 

I don’t see it all gelling to make us a real force this season from a consistency POV but I did think there was some real positives today and some individual moments and quality play  that tbh were scant throughout last season 

A ‘bumpy’ but entertaining season IMHO

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure they were awful but agree a good side , a Norwich Of last season would have damaged us in the first half

I think we might be in for a season like today with quite a few bumps and I don’t expect us to be a real top end threat tbh

If we can form a side utilising the abilities of our more obvious pluses and sort out the couple of obvious deficiencies / areas we have the elements , at least , of a very decent side 

I don’t see it all gelling to make us a real force this season from a consistency POV but I did think there was some real positives today and some individual moments and quality play  that tbh were scant throughout last season 

Can't see it gelling quickly enough BBSB. Which is hardly surprising given how many changes and the late loss of Webster in the window!

It will take time, just bound to IMO. Does it form the basis for the following year or 2? I think yes a foundation is there and age is on the side of many in the squad, plus likes of O'Leary, Vyner and Morrell to name 3 who could strengthen us further and are of the right profile.

Thought QPR were not the worst but not amazing either. Probably somewhere between 14th-18th.

Us? Well a nice win today, hopefully kickstart things but a lot to improve on in some areas- Nagy excellent took his goal very well, Afobe may just be the striker we're looking for, have a good feeling about him- think was clinical with his finish, instinctive too- upgrade on Diedhiou certainly!

IF we get a good CB for 5-6 months on a free until January or even a year or 2 if they prove excellent- Caceres and Ramalho look good this equation could well change and they both good quality and the former can play comfortably in a back 4 or 3 alike- high pedigree if just the wrong side of 30. Can also cover all areas of defence I think Harry said on another thread.

That CB if the right one even if on a free could prove an game changer still I reckon.

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t know what you’re expecting Bob with what is essentially a new squad of players. It’ll take time for them to gel and understand each other’s games.

I saw two very classy performances in each half from Nadge and Messengo who showed what great ability they have.  TM was solid other than one error when he was dispossessed (he’ll learn from that)  Baker was excellent as was Weimann and Afobe who caused QPR problems all game.

For a new team it was a decent performance with a hint of what’s to come when they’ve gelled as a squad and I’m cautiously optimistic for the coming season.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Don’t know what you’re expecting Bob with what is essentially a new squad of players. It’ll take time for them to gel and understand each other’s games.

I saw two very classy performances in each half from Nadge and Messengo who showed what great ability they have.  TM was solid other than one error when he was dispossessed (he’ll learn from that)  Baker was excellent as was Weimann and Afobe who caused QPR problems all game.

For a new team it was a decent performance with a hint of what’s to come when they’ve gelled as a squad and I’m cautiously optimistic for the coming season.

Havnt a clue what you are on about 

Personally I was expecting a side that looked like they’d recently been put together , (and feared a difficult afternoon, ) which they did at times ,     and I hoped to see some good signs of promise amongst our new acquisitions,.......... I did, ....I more than did .......but I think our obvious limitations atm in some areas and the fact this group need to fully integrate together means that at times we may get picked off by some better sides  .....

So what Am I missing in your opening words ? 

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Havnt a clue what you are on about 

Personally I was expecting a side that looked like they’d recently been put together , (and feared a difficult afternoon, ) which they did at times ,     and I hoped to see some good signs of promise amongst our new acquisitions,.......... I did, ....I more than did .......but I think our obvious limitations atm in some areas and the fact this group need to fully integrate together means that at times we may get picked off by some better sides  .....

So what Am I missing in your opening words ? 

You posted that you couldn’t see City gelling to become a force.........that’s why I asked what you were expecting.... what is it about that simple question that you don’t understand?             :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You posted that you couldn’t see City gelling to become a force.........that’s why I asked what you were expecting.... what is it about that simple question that you don’t understand?             :dunno:

Yes , ....a force this season in terms of promotion

They might do , but big ask to get everything sorted out so quickly 

ive just checked my post that you queried 

‘ I don’t see it all gelling to make us a real force this season from a consistency POV but I did think there was some real positives today ‘

Pretty plain English really , well post Primary at least

Was chatting to a couple of their fans on the train on the way home.  They genuinely thought that they were the better team for the whole game.  Even when they were playing aimless balls into touch.  Mind you, they were from Devizes and thought that our fans were worse than Swindon's.  *****...

Archived