IGNORED

QPR

Lez

36 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Ain"t that the truth

Every time

CR - pretty much every time I question any poster or I simply don’t agree with them I’m of accused of ‘trolling’.............

Isn’t this forum supposed to be a platform where posters can debate, comment and discuss all things Bristol City?

My opinion is that there are a lot of pluses with our new team, but it’s not yet the finished article, and it will take time for the new players to adapt to the demands of the Championship. Can’t see us getting close to last seasons tally of away points.

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

CR - pretty much every time I question any poster or I simply don’t agree with them I’m of accused of ‘trolling’.............

Isn’t this forum supposed to be a platform where posters can debate, comment and discuss all things Bristol City?

Troll is a polite term for what you are

56 minutes ago, Robbored said:

misfits nathan GIF

9 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

Was chatting to a couple of their fans on the train on the way home.  They genuinely thought that they were the better team for the whole game.  Even when they were playing aimless balls into touch.  Mind you, they were from Devizes and thought that our fans were worse than Swindon's.  *****...

I can see why they felt that. I thought they looked sharper and more cohesive for the majority of the game, just lacked in the final third. 

20 minutes ago, Chappers said:

My opinion is that there are a lot of pluses with our new team, but it’s not yet the finished article, and it will take time for the new players to adapt to the demands of the Championship. Can’t see us getting close to last seasons tally of away points.

I'm hopeful that, and there are a lot of "ifs" involved,

if we get all our injured players back and up to speed by Jan,

and if we can bring in one or two quality OCC players in the mean time,

and if we can manage to pick up a decent number of points until Christmas,

and if the new guys manage to gel with the rest,

and if we don't get any more long term injuries.

then I'm hoping that we do the opposite of what we did in the season before last, and rather than fall away, we have a really strong run in to the end of the season.

On the game, I thought they were the better side until around the first goal. They looked ok throughout, just lacked a real spark up front, which is odd given the options they have. I was interested how we set up . 3 CB's ,but for a lot of the time when  Hunt went forward it looked like a back 4 with Moore moving over. It didn't look the same on the left.
@BobBobSuperBob, I guess you mean top 2 by real challenge. Hard to argue this early and with injuries and new players settling in. I am hopeful though, and a lot of that comes down to having a mobile threat up front. I like Fam, but he has his limitations and can be quite static, with Afobe and Weimann we have players making runs that KP can feed in. That's another plus, Palmer's defensive side looks much better already. Add Nagy and Massengo , which could bring out the best in Brownhill, even allow us to get Eliasson and ODowda playing more. Bentley seems to have the presence that FF lacked, hopefully his confidence grows and he turns out to be the player we should have bought 4 years ago.
As I said hopeful, I think we need to give it 10 games and see where we are, but it could be a good season (or even very good) . A lot could come down to the injuries, and how we cope. BW out for 10 weeks and JD for 5 months or more, we need a LB/LWB more than another CB IMO. TM's form has eased the need a little, unless we continue with a 3, in which case we would need cover. I see Rowe as doing a job at LB, along the lines of BW did at RB , but it's a big ask for him to do it for a season without rest and not get a knock. We have cover everywhere else, and decent options so for me that is the main question mark , defensive cover. 

Genuinely excited about the 2 new lads, well 3 really as Afobe is what we probably hoped Fam would be. The defence looks solid even if we lack the ball playing back type player and Bentley looks like being a good signing. At this stage , just promising, 10 games in and we will see where things are going.

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

In the cold light of day, if I`d watched the game on Sky and didn`t support City or QPR I`d probably have thought the home side never really looked in trouble and it was game over after the second goal went in.

Agree.  Think it’s natural to feel we were under the cosh a bit, when we weren’t really.

They “slung” a couple of dangerous crosses across the box and Hugill has a speculative shot on the volley, but we defended well both in terms of challenges and positional.  Did Bentley have a shot to save in that opening half hour?  Don’t recall.  In fact Statszone backs this up.

They had possession up to 30 yards out, but we looked very compact.  What we didn’t do was pinch the ball early in their possession.

They looked decent first half but that’s only because we surrendered the midfield to them due to our formation.

Our goal came against the run of play but Nagy struck it well and QPR probably felt a bit aggrieved to be losing at half time

Nagy going off and Massengo coming on changed they dynamic slightly and he certainly made his mark with some good touches, passing and late runs into the box which could and should have got him a goal on his home debut

Overall, thought we just about deserved the 3 points but still a lot to do if we want to dominate possession and play a more attacking style 

It’s going to take time but Webster leaving has taken away that pivot point for the midfield to play to and from and we are missing something 

Big loss to not have Dasilva available for 5 months also, anymore long term injuries and we will be looking at square pegs in round holes 

QPR looked alright before we scored without really troubling our goal. One chance apart (Hugill's header, great save by Bentley) they were beaten once we scored. Kept possession well but didn't really do much with it.

City are clearly a 'work in progress'. Yes. it wasn't great but there are, as said, positives we can take from yesterday.

As Bob says, it's going to be bumpy for a while as the team settles but how long that takes is the crux for our season IMHO. If it's say 6 games, we might still do well this season but if it takes longer we're in for a mid table season with better to come. We're essentially starting pre season again tactically.

Just my opinion but I reckon we'll be decent, hopefully by around October, once we've settled. 

Archived