IGNORED

Highlights Commentary & Editing

Tangle Foot

I’ve just finished watching the 9 minutes & 30 seconds worth of highlights from our match against QPR. Some things I noticed:

The breakaway chance that QPR had when Nagy picked up his injury (after Moore was dispossessed around the half way line), I was sure that occurred after he had scored!? However, on the highlights it was before. I’ve checked the BBC Live Text and it was after the opening goal.

The incident between Osayi-Samuel and Rowe, just before half-time was not included at all.

There was no replay of the disallowed goal from Weimann, only the commentator describing it as a clearly handball.

Overall I thought it was poorly done.

COYR.

The commentary is simply abysmal. Clearly added after the event but scripted as though recorded live...doesn't work at all. Abandoned by network TV decades ago. If you are commentating after the event its better to acknowledge this. Not kidding anyone. The commentator couldn't pronounce Nagy's surname. And the sound mix is all commentator and no crowd. 

I'd prefer no commentary and a decent highlights edit of all the relevant action.

It's a mess...but doubtless what we are stuck with as it appears to be a standard EFL production.

The guy has a good voice but absolutely no charisma, probably in-part to recording in post-production when you already know what's happening. You need to be a bit of an actor for that.

Baffling decision to basically remove all crowd noise and atmosphere though.

Its a shoddy and very outdated format, as stated earlier it was abandoned by network TV decades ago.  I noticed at the end of the "commentary" at the Birmingham game, right at the end the "commentator" says "was that alright?" and a new voice replies "yes absolutely fine".  It smacks of a TV company thinking that they can get away with treating the viewers as if they are fools, a bit like when the National Lottery used to get a celebrity in to  dramatically crash down the button, only for an suited guy in the background to be clearly seen pressing the real button to get the machine working! (a weird analogy I know!).  I think HTV used to get Roger Malone to do similar "voice over" commentaries in the 70s.

Are they directly produced by the club/Robins TV? I noticed the graphic to show 2nd half had the ifollow branding. I thought this was the efl match/highlights scheme we opted out of to do our own thing. 

Either way I agree, awful commentary and muting of the atmosphere. I rather not have it at all and have crowd volume at full. 

6 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Are they directly produced by the club/Robins TV? I noticed the graphic to show 2nd half had the ifollow branding. I thought this was the efl match/highlights scheme we opted out of to do our own thing. 

Either way I agree, awful commentary and muting of the atmosphere. I rather not have it at all and have crowd volume at full. 

These 10 minute highlights are a central EFL production which clubs can choose to use. The EFL also provide a circa 2 minute highlights package without commentary which quite a few clubs seem to be using as their YouTube highlights, keeping extended highlights exclusively for the club website. 

As a comparison, QPR have a short (1:47) highlights package without commentary on their YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7zWrwEqgnY and an extended (12:51) package with commentary from their own commentator available on their website (free, account required): https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/highlights/highlights-bristol-city-2-qpr-0-august-2019/

It is truly  appalling, and is such a cheap and tacky presentation, that portrays our club in a poor light.  You would also have thought that the commentator would take the time to research the correct pronounciation of Nagy?  It did remind me of the original "Alan Partridge" days of HTV's Roger Malone ?

• The experience is not helped by the Ashton Gate cameras being suspended about 10,000 feet above ground level. I would have thought this could have been taken into account when the ground was redeveloped.

Archived