IGNORED

SIGNED: Ashley Williams - Short Term Contract (Mid Jan)

Dolman Block B

Linked with a 12 month move to us.

Should be completed this week.

Persoanlly take that 

Ashley Williams is in talks with Bristol City over 12-month deal. Deal could be agreed this week. Reading and Wigan also interested. Boost for if he stays in the Championship. Ryan Giggs names squad for crunch Euro 2020 qualifier with Azerbaijan on Wednesday.

Championship rivals Reading and Wigan are also interested in the centre-back.

But Williams could make the move to Lee Johnson’s side in the West Country outfit this week if terms are agreed.

The ex-Swansea, Everton and Stoke defender became a free agent when his Toffees contract expired in the summer.

Williams has already turned down offers from Turkey, the Middle East and the MLS in America as he was keen to stay in the UK.

Bristol City have been on the hunt for a centre-back after they sold Adam Webster to Brighton in a whopping £22m deal.

Williams, who turns 35 this week, is expected to be named in Ryan Giggs’ Wales squad on Wednesday for the Euro 2020 qualifier against Azerbaijan next month.

The experienced centre-back won his 86th cap for his country in the 1-0 defeat to Hungary in June.

He moved one appearance ahead of the late Gary Speed to leap into third place in Wales’ all-time appearance table.

And staying in the Championship at Ashton Gate will boost Williams’ chances of continuing his international career.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

So he'll take the place of Taylor Moore in our side?

And also eliminate any chance of Aden Baldwin gettin a few minutes?

Another "Academy Pathway" closed?

I consider we need a left back before a centre half.

I would think he would be Bailey Wright’s replacement as cover whilst he is out for a few months.

Another signing that will have a point to prove and dare I say it, an upgrade on Wright.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We need both and we need championship ready players for those important positions imo.

Williams and his experience for one year would be ideal both for the team and for the positive effect he could have on passing his experience onto younger players such as Baldwin or Moore.

13 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I think Taylor Moore will get plenty of games this year especially with injuries to other players. 

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

God no, legs have gone and totally lost it hence competition from clubs that’ll finish way below us

As LJ said, these guys are out of contract for a reason.

But his experience trumps a lack of pace I would hope.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

We need both and we need championship ready players for those important positions imo.

Williams and his experience for one year would be ideal both for the team and for the positive effect he could have on passing his experience onto younger players such as Baldwin or Moore.

LJ has quoted that certain parts of our 'system' have been shelved for a while. It's obvious the Club want to keep the philosophy of the pathway open, however, I get the impression that LJ wants a few more experienced heads in certain positions, especially considering how young some of our players are, and some with little experience in this league. 

Only needs another injury to Baker.

Also LJ said with hindsight it was a mistake letting Vyner go out on loan.

35...I dunno.

Just now, swanker said:

He was 34 last year and had a decent game at Ashton Gate when we played stoke. 

Stoke were quite reactive which can definitely help an older defender- will he be able to cope with a more proactive shape?

His experience could be invaluable to Moore and if we'd kept him instead of loaning him out Vyner of course, in terms of learning.

This looks like it’s happening from all the reports.

My reservation is that whenever I saw him for Stoke last year he didn’t look great. As anticipated at age 34, very susceptible to pace. Against that, nobody looked good for Stoke last year.

On the plus side, clearly, he’s used (from Swansea days) to playing in a footballing side who move the ball quickly so should have hard wired in the positioning/movement needs. The current system also means we have the ability to cover for him.

Most pertinently of all, he’s a leader, an experienced pro and we’re a relatively new team with players new to English football.

On balance, it’s a position we need bodies in. It’s a player who gives us leadership and experience, and who was in his day very very good. On that basis this makes sense to me.

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

My reservation is that whenever I saw him for Stoke last year he didn’t look great. As anticipated at age 34, very susceptible to pace. Against that, nobody looked good for Stoke last year.

On the plus side, clearly, he’s used (from Swansea days) to playing in a footballing side who move the ball quickly so should have hard wired in the positioning/movement needs. The current system also means we have the ability to cover for him.

Most pertinently of all, he’s a leader, an experienced pro and we’re a relatively new team with players new to English football.

On balance, it’s a position we need bodies in. It’s a player who gives us leadership and experience, and who was in his day very very good. On that basis this makes sense to me.

I’m not convinced tbh , but you do sell it well in your points made 

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

35 in a few days- think that's just a year or 2 too old for how we want to play personally. If we were deeper yet passing then yes, a more positive approach- not so sure.

Another thing to take into account is that we now seem to be leaning towards a formation that requires 3 centre backs at all times - so it's very unlikely a move like this would drastically reduce minutes for Moore like it might have done last season. At the same time, with 5 at the back, mobility might not be quite as vital too. Will reserve judgement, but willing to trust this as a strong squad signing.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

That’s assuming Moore stays fit and keeps good form up, no guarantee of either so great to have cover 

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He’s been shit for a while now - no thanks. 

As was said about Afobe.

If we are to challenge for top 6 then we need a Centre back (and left back). Taylor Moore has done well so far but to expect too much of him could damage him long term. We have lost 2 big leaders (Pack and Wright) and maybe a back 4 option (TM more comfortable/trusted in a 3) so Williams ticks a few boxes for us.

Archived