IGNORED

SIGNED: Ashley Williams - Short Term Contract (Mid Jan)

Dolman Block B

I think he's a good option. Don't underestimate the impact a seasoned pro can have off the pitch as part of the dressing room. Think Wilbraham and Elliot.

People talking about his age, but the general focus on players under 24/25 only really applies if we're looking to sell them on. We're obviously not anticipating to make a huge profit on Ashley Williams so it doesn't apply here.

48 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Who have Major? Everton? I took the comment about finances to be with the player. If so we might not be able to meet his wage demands. The fact he Was wearing a City tracksuit is a good sign that he wants to join tho.

The poor bloke’s unemployed, the club probably gave him an old pair of trainers and a cup of tea.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The poor bloke’s unemployed, the club probably gave him an old pair of trainers and a cup of tea.

As he's OOC, he can't wear his old togs, so was lent some BCFC ones just to let him know we want him. I just hope they fit him and he will fit us, if signed.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

City obviously need CB cover and LJ knows what he’s doing. Should Williams sign his vast experience will benefit the younger guys like TM in City's squad. 

Lets not forget that TM is still young and inexperienced at Championship level and it’s asking a lot to expect him to play and perform week in week out. It’s a lot of pressure and expectation on the lad.

Williams would be a useful addition to the squad.

Yep, agree, plus games against the likes of Cardiff and Millwall might be a case of horses for courses. 

As for ball playing - not in Webster’s class (who is) but a key part Swansea’s play from the back style and more than comfy on the ball. 

Back three did an excellent job for the most part last night, and if we continue to play in that style someone like Williams would be very helpful.

And dressing room leadership can’t be underestimated; the likes of Wade Elliot in our promotion season under Cotts was as important as any player, not just for his play but his role as a leader in the side.

I assume wages are the stumbling block at the moment. He was on £75k per week at Everton. I know at the moment he has no income but to drop from £75k to £15-20 ish takes some getting used to. (suspect he will also want a signing on fee and bonus for promotion etc)

55 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I assume wages are the stumbling block at the moment. He was on £75k per week at Everton. I know at the moment he has no income but to drop from £75k to £15-20 ish takes some getting used to. (suspect he will also want a signing on fee and bonus for promotion etc)

Also, is he looking for a longer contract than we are willing to offer?

Do we know what other options he has??

If you think about it, we are a good option for him.

• Good footballing side - he's used to playing out from the back
  • near to Wales - not for all but him it is.
  • genuine chance of game time. Suspensions and injuries 
  • will have to work hard to get into the side at present
  • Improve his chances of getting back into the Welsh squad

For us:

• experienced head which is a lacking
  • leadership qualities
  • been there seen it done it - that could help us at the business end of the season 

Hope he signs

16 minutes ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

Do we know what other options he has??

If you think about it, we are a good option for him.

• Good footballing side - he's used to playing out from the back
  • near to Wales - not for all but him it is.
  • genuine chance of game time. Suspensions and injuries 
  • will have to work hard to get into the side at present
  • Improve his chances of getting back into the Welsh squad

For us:

• experienced head which is a lacking
  • leadership qualities
  • been there seen it done it - that could help us at the business end of the season 

Hope he signs

Good bullet points there .

Are you LJ in disguise ?

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

This 'close to Wales' ........but he's from Wolverhampton, 

That's why he's keen to join us then - as a Black Country lad - we're the closest club to the Black Country Mecca that is Weston-super-Mare.......probably has a caravan at Brean already.

Everton fan by birth, City follower by residence here.

He is terrible. Nuclear level terrible. Ask Stoke, not just Everton fans. 

And he will drain City with his wage demands. Unless the club sort him with a Carrol type contract at Newcastle. Which he wont accept. 

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Bottom line is as a free agent he wont get anywhere near his previous salary, and if he gets 20k a week hes a lucky lad 

Archived