IGNORED

SIGNED: Ashley Williams - Short Term Contract (Mid Jan)

Dolman Block B

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Yes players can lose form obviously,wouldn’t listen to people saying Walker is complacent,it’s the way he has been even at spurs,quality one week average the next,it’s all in the players ability and mindset,kalas for example couldn’t give 2 shits about Williams coming in because he’s better and knows it Moore on the other hand

He may wish to look at his performance at home to Leeds...!

I think this is an astute signing.

If one if the current back 3 gets injured everybody on here will be moaning about lack of cover with Wright injury continuing its lengthy saga.

Moore is in his first season at this level and Baker always hurts himself eventually- nature of the nutter !!

We needed cover and an experienced pro desperate to play for his country again would seem perfect and beyond our reach 2 years ago.

I would actually like to see the current 3 plus Williams in a regular rotation when he is match fit to help all their bodies through a long hard season.

In my simple maths and presuming we stick with a back 3 all season (certainly seems likely until JD is back and if working well why change when he is back?) and presuming a rest on the bench now and again helps then be available for most games they would all play circa 32 league games each until the end of the season; ample and better return than we would ever hope and expect from Baker and Moore in his first season at this level.

Anybody who now says “no chance Baker and Moore are available every game” is only strengthening the argument for this signing surely !?!

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Or he could look at his performances since,Jesus wept some people are never satisfied,could be blinding the rest of the season but some people will say yeh but remember Leeds first game of the season 

I was just making the point that there’s no room for complacency. Any professional footballer should be motivated by healthy competition for places. 

1 hour ago, Meh said:

I think this is an astute signing.

If one if the current back 3 gets injured everybody on here will be moaning about lack of cover with Wright injury continuing its lengthy saga.

Moore is in his first season at this level and Baker always hurts himself eventually- nature of the nutter !!

We needed cover and an experienced pro desperate to play for his country again would seem perfect and beyond our reach 2 years ago.

I would actually like to see the current 3 plus Williams in a regular rotation when he is match fit to help all their bodies through a long hard season.

In my simple maths and presuming we stick with a back 3 all season (certainly seems likely until JD is back and if working well why change when he is back?) and presuming a rest on the bench now and again helps then be available for most games they would all play circa 32 league games each until the end of the season; ample and better return than we would ever hope and expect from Baker and Moore in his first season at this level.

Anybody who now says “no chance Baker and Moore are available every game” is only strengthening the argument for this signing surely !?!

Meh

Interesting that the CB so many wanted....Matt Clarke....has felt the axe (along with Malone) following their performance v City on Tuesday.  I thought Afobe and Weimann dragged him around all over the place, and that was my concern Re trying to replace Webster with him, having only really played Lg1/2  previously.  Of course it’s early days, but Cocu finding out about his players quickly.  Tough one v West Brom today.

B1121CB6-66E4-4E44-A7DB-1371B0CCEF82.jpeg

I've followed Ashley Williams' career as a Wales fan, often watching him playing live. First thing I'd say about him is, he's imposing, no one is going to out-muscle or intimidate him. Secondly, he has really good distribution, he likes to play it along the deck and seldom seems panicked into hoofing it anywhere. He's never had really great pace, but he does read the game well and that makes up for any shortcomings he might have regarding lack of pace. I think, as cover for this season, he represents a good signing for you.

4 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Need to get him “up to speed” quickly now, bearing in mind Kalas’ injury!

U23s on Tuesday according to LJ.

This man's huge amount of big game experience could well prove vital for us this season.

Good luck at BCFC, Ashley. Hope it works out for everyone.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

U23s on Tuesday according to LJ.

This man's huge amount of big game experience could well prove vital for us this season.

Good luck at BCFC, Ashley. Hope it works out for everyone.

Think we will have to go 4 at the back next week with AW prob on bench for an emergency

LJ talked about him , as you say playing 45 on Tuesday and then another U23 game the following week

We only have next week then an Int break isn’t it so , AW will have time to build his match readiness and should be available post break ?? 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think we will have to go 4 at the back next week with AW prob on bench for an emergency

LJ talked about him , as you say playing 45 on Tuesday and then another U23 game the following week

We only have next week then an Int break isn’t it so , AW will have time to build his match readiness and should be available post break ?? 

Kalas too might not be far off after the break. Coming at a good time it seems

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Kalas too might not be far off after the break. Coming at a good time it seems

Not if it’s hamstring mate (Unless it’s a tiny tiny tear)

I didn’t see it but listening to people and Gary Owens describing how he pulled up I’d fear the worst tbh (3months ?)

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not if it’s hamstring mate (Unless it’s a tiny tiny tear)

I didn’t see it but listening to people and Gary Owens describing how he pulled up I’d fear the worst tbh (3months ?)

The guy on Robins TV said he went off with the thumbs up... not sure but maybe that's a good sign

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

The guy on Robins TV said he went off with the thumbs up... not sure but maybe that's a good sign

Hope you’re right but , thumbs up to fans ?

He went off on a stretcher didn’t he ? very sensible to protect the injury but I don’t like Owers description / take on it :( 

Gutting , And thank god TM has grown and NB stepped up and playing well (I don’t see BW back anytime soon from LJs comments)

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hope you’re right but , thumbs up to fans ?

He went off on a stretcher didn’t he ? very sensible to protect the injury but I don’t like Owers description / take on it :( 

Gutting , And thank god TM has grown and NB stepped up and playing well (I don’t see BW back anytime soon from LJs comments)

It looked like he pulled something, but my gut feeling is this isn't too long term. He'll be back before too long I'm sure. Appydaze at BCFC other than this injury curse crap. :laugh: It seems someone misses out and another steps up. And that's exactly how it should be in football. We're doing it the right way.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

It looked like he pulled something, but my gut feeling is this isn't too long term. He'll be back before too long I'm sure. Appydaze at BCFC other than this injury curse crap. :laugh: It seems someone misses out and another steps up. that's how it should be in football.

Quite right

As one door closes n all that

TM busting a gut , Baker with the opportunity to nail down a place and Williams when match fit with an International Career to save

None of them atm are perfect IMHO but we could be a whole lot worse off

Cant afford another one though and LJ may need to wrap them in cotton wool for a bit 

Quite right

TM busting a gut , Baker with the opportunity to nail down a place and Williams when match fit with an International Career to save

Cant afford another one though and LJ may need to wrap them in cotton wool for a bit 

True, Bob.. Baker has been almost like a new signing though. A rock back there since he's come in.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

True, Bob.. Baker has been almost like a new signing though. A rock back there since he's come in.

He’s an interesting one - clearly capable but we knew that 

Ive always had a concern that he wasn’t desperate for a starting place , hope I’m wrong or he has become reinvigorated by playing and the general vibe going on

Ive always had a concern that he wasn’t desperate for a starting place , hope I’m wrong or he has become reinvigorated by playing and the general vibe going on

Hold on, let's start a thread...

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Quite right

If Williams was to come in next week v Boro it could / would be as the central “sweeper”, and might be easier there than chasing his forward and being dragged all over the place.  He can use his experience to “organise”.

Interesting comment is his signing interview, that although the hadn’t had a pre-season, he had played for Wales in June (11th June to be exact), so it wasn’t like he’d been on the beach from early May, plus he’d been working on his own too.  I’m not saying he’s 100%, but he might not be as far away as a player who’d done nothing all summer.  He’s had a week here too.

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Got engaged in the summer....she might’ve put her foot down ???

Archived