IGNORED

SIGNED: Ashley Williams - Short Term Contract (Mid Jan)

Dolman Block B

6 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Hopefully signed till Jan where we’ll sign someone like McKenna.

A rotational back 3 consisting of 3 between Moore, Kalas, Baker and him would push us to that next level.

Went off injured today....even our targets are jinxed ???

5 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Didnt travel to hull as stayed back so city could work on his fitness. Judging by the fitness of the squad i bet its intense and for a 35 year old very tough.

Still; good sign he’s dedicated to getting back in shape.

I’d also suggest that with a deal only lasting until January and the Euros next summer, he has every motivation to prove himself over the next six months, so don’t imagine he’s going to be resting on his laurels.

The fact he was still playing internationally this summer despite a poor Stoke season last time out shows he can add something, and if we’ve lost Kalas for a spell, he could prove a key player.

5 minutes ago, samo II said:

Still; good sign he’s dedicated to getting back in shape.

I’d also suggest that with a deal only lasting until January and the Euros next summer, he has every motivation to prove himself over the next six months, so don’t imagine he’s going to be resting on his laurels.

The fact he was still playing internationally this summer despite a poor Stoke season last time out shows he can add something, and if we’ve lost Kalas for a spell, he could prove a key player.

Agree, we know stoke arnt a good benchmark and clearly have issues at the club judging by thier peformances. Good business contracting until xmas as chance to prove himself for both city and welsh squad so plenty to play for for him. I think he will be another masterstroke by the management team fwiw.

In February 2007 I watched Stockport v Mansfield purely because Wayne Hennesey was about to keep his ninth clean sheet in his first nine games in professional football and he did. However playing in front of him was an absolute rolls royce of a defender. A 22 year old who was as close as I had seen to the imperious Alan Hanson. I sent an email that evening to bcfc. In 2008 Swansea bought him for about £400k after impressing on loan. He played for them for 8 years before Everton paid £12m in 2016

6 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

In February 2007 I watched Stockport v Mansfield purely because Wayne Hennesey was about to keep his ninth clean sheet in his first nine games in professional football and he did. However playing in front of him was an absolute rolls royce of a defender. A 22 year old who was as close as I had seen to the imperious Alan Hanson. I sent an email that evening to bcfc. In 2008 Swansea bought him for about £400k after impressing on loan. He played for them for 8 years before Everton paid £12m in 2016

It took them 12 years to finally read your email?! Shocking administration. 

20 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Am thinking he'll go straight in on Saturday with Kalas out unless we go to a back 4 or unless Kalas' injury wasn't as bad as first appeared. 

I reckon we'll stick him in for an hour then change shape. 

On 25/08/2019 at 06:59, Crackers Corner said:

Didnt travel to hull as stayed back so city could work on his fitness. Judging by the fitness of the squad i bet its intense and for a 35 year old very tough.

He did say he was fit but not match fit. 65 minutes yesterday would have helped. I am guessing he won’t be ready for Saturday.

11 hours ago, mozo said:

I reckon we'll stick him in for an hour then change shape. 

I think this is more than likely imo.

Williams is fit if not fully match fit but as the central CB in a three, perhaps match fitness is not as essential as other positions such as a midfielder for instance. I'm convinced LJ will chuck him in and change it later in the game if needed rather than change formation from the start.

What an incredible time for Taylor Moore! First an unexpected elevation to the first team starting eleven, and now he gets to train with, play alongside and learn from a top pro like Williams.

With the right attitude and a bit of luck, Moore could end this season as a fully integrated Championship player with loads more knowledge and experience to draw on. Maybe the stars have all aligned for him?

18 hours ago, mozo said:

What an incredible time for Taylor Moore! First an unexpected elevation to the first team starting eleven, and now he gets to train with, play alongside and learn from a top pro like Williams.

With the right attitude and a bit of luck, Moore could end this season as a fully integrated Championship player with loads more knowledge and experience to draw on. Maybe the stars have all aligned for him?

In hindsight I wonder just how `unexpected` it really was both for the club and the player. We knew that AW was likely to be off and I think playing TM was always in LJ`s mind if it happened. We had experience in the side in NB & TK and I think it was decided that the time was right to see if he could make it. Fortunately, he`s grabbed his chance.

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

In hindsight I wonder just how `unexpected` it really was both for the club and the player. We knew that AW was likely to be off and I think playing TM was always in LJ`s mind if it happened. We had experience in the side in NB & TK and I think it was decided that the time was right to see if he could make it. Fortunately, he`s grabbed his chance.

Yeah maybe I based that on my own personal surprise. I didn't see it comkng to be honest and had assumed Moore was well out of contention.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Yeah maybe I based that on my own personal surprise. I didn't see it comkng to be honest and had assumed Moore was well out of contention.

I think we all thought that mate. For someone who`s effectively seemed to be off the radar for two seasons it came as a surprise to most I imagine - I know it did me!

Perhaps his new contract should have given us a clue plus him getting made captain in pre-season games and I think, if it had been talked up, it would have put a load of unnecessary pressure on the lad and no doubt would have brought out the inevitable `cheap option` and `no ambition` comments from some. As it`s turned out, he`s just slotted into the side and none of that has happened.

Hell of a gamble by LJ though if that is what happened - it must have taken some balls to take it as it could have gone so horribly wrong!

56 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think we all thought that mate. For someone who`s effectively seemed to be off the radar for two seasons it came as a surprise to most I imagine - I know it did me!

Perhaps his new contract should have given us a clue plus him getting made captain in pre-season games and I think, if it had been talked up, it would have put a load of unnecessary pressure on the lad and no doubt would have brought out the inevitable `cheap option` and `no ambition` comments from some. As it`s turned out, he`s just slotted into the side and none of that has happened.

Hell of a gamble by LJ though if that is what happened - it must have taken some balls to take it as it could have gone so horribly wrong!

I can't help thinking that Southend are really missing Taylor Moore so far this season, conceding goals at a wild rate without him.

Archived