Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Dolman Block B

SIGNED: Ashley Williams - Short Term Contract (Mid Jan)

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I think it is reasonable to assume that if he was wearing City kit at Derby last evening, that he has already signed for us.

 

I thought the same but then I saw this:

Screenshot_20190821-083926_Facebook.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who have Major? Everton? I took the comment about finances to be with the player. If so we might not be able to meet his wage demands. The fact he Was wearing a City tracksuit is a good sign that he wants to join tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's a good option. Don't underestimate the impact a seasoned pro can have off the pitch as part of the dressing room. Think Wilbraham and Elliot.

People talking about his age, but the general focus on players under 24/25 only really applies if we're looking to sell them on. We're obviously not anticipating to make a huge profit on Ashley Williams so it doesn't apply here.

 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Who have Major? Everton? I took the comment about finances to be with the player. If so we might not be able to meet his wage demands. The fact he Was wearing a City tracksuit is a good sign that he wants to join tho.

The poor bloke’s unemployed, the club probably gave him an old pair of trainers and a cup of tea.

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The poor bloke’s unemployed, the club probably gave him an old pair of trainers and a cup of tea.

As he's OOC, he can't wear his old togs, so was lent some BCFC ones just to let him know we want him. I just hope they fit him and he will fit us, if signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

City obviously need CB cover and LJ knows what he’s doing. Should Williams sign his vast experience will benefit the younger guys like TM in City's squad. 

Lets not forget that TM is still young and inexperienced at Championship level and it’s asking a lot to expect him to play and perform week in week out. It’s a lot of pressure and expectation on the lad.

Williams would be a useful addition to the squad.

Yep, agree, plus games against the likes of Cardiff and Millwall might be a case of horses for courses. 

As for ball playing - not in Webster’s class (who is) but a key part Swansea’s play from the back style and more than comfy on the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back three did an excellent job for the most part last night, and if we continue to play in that style someone like Williams would be very helpful.

And dressing room leadership can’t be underestimated; the likes of Wade Elliot in our promotion season under Cotts was as important as any player, not just for his play but his role as a leader in the side.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As has been said many times, unfortunately Baker gets injured and suspended at times. Taylor Moore is relatively inexperienced and may go through a sticky spell. If we wish to play three at the back we need Ashley Williams or someone similar to add depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still not convinced  this will definitely happen 

Surely Williams , with his International situation, will want to be promised plenty of game time ,

and is LJ likely to leave Baker out at present time ?

 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume wages are the stumbling block at the moment. He was on £75k per week at Everton. I know at the moment he has no income but to drop from £75k to £15-20 ish takes some getting used to. (suspect he will also want a signing on fee and bonus for promotion etc)

  • Rovers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I assume wages are the stumbling block at the moment. He was on £75k per week at Everton. I know at the moment he has no income but to drop from £75k to £15-20 ish takes some getting used to. (suspect he will also want a signing on fee and bonus for promotion etc)

Also, is he looking for a longer contract than we are willing to offer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know what other options he has??

If you think about it, we are a good option for him.

  • Good footballing side - he's used to playing out from the back
  • near to Wales - not for all but him it is.
  • genuine chance of game time. Suspensions and injuries 
  • will have to work hard to get into the side at present
  • Improve his chances of getting back into the Welsh squad

For us:

  • experienced head which is a lacking
  • leadership qualities
  • been there seen it done it - that could help us at the business end of the season 

Hope he signs

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

Do we know what other options he has??

If you think about it, we are a good option for him.

  • Good footballing side - he's used to playing out from the back
  • near to Wales - not for all but him it is.
  • genuine chance of game time. Suspensions and injuries 
  • will have to work hard to get into the side at present
  • Improve his chances of getting back into the Welsh squad

For us:

  • experienced head which is a lacking
  • leadership qualities
  • been there seen it done it - that could help us at the business end of the season 

Hope he signs

 

 

Good bullet points there .

Are you LJ in disguise ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmn... I am really unsure. Is the thinking offer Williams a deal until Jan and in meantime look to line up and sign a long term Webster replacement is Jan? I assume that Williams will want 12 month min deal to get back in Wales squad for Euro 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's turning up in a City tracksuit he's not far off signing. You don't dress someone in your own kit and parade them round in full view of everyone if you're not confident they're going to join.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

This 'close to Wales' thing is a tad misleading. Yes, he plays for Wales but he's from Wolverhampton, not the land of wooly mint Source leisure centres. 

Probably hates Cardiff, so that’s a good sign!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

This 'close to Wales' ........but he's from Wolverhampton, 

That's why he's keen to join us then - as a Black Country lad - we're the closest club to the Black Country Mecca that is Weston-super-Mare.......probably has a caravan at Brean already.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everton fan by birth, City follower by residence here.

He is terrible. Nuclear level terrible. Ask Stoke, not just Everton fans. 

And he will drain City with his wage demands. Unless the club sort him with a Carrol type contract at Newcastle. Which he wont accept. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I assume wages are the stumbling block at the moment. He was on £75k per week at Everton. I know at the moment he has no income but to drop from £75k to £15-20 ish takes some getting used to. (suspect he will also want a signing on fee and bonus for promotion etc)

Bottom line is as a free agent he wont get anywhere near his previous salary, and if he gets 20k a week hes a lucky lad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Bottom line is as a free agent he wont get anywhere near his previous salary, and if he gets 20k a week hes a lucky lad 

 

That will be £10 million lobbed in the river Avon mate.  

  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roydo said:

 

That will be £10 million lobbed in the river Avon mate.  

Do your maths.  If we pay him £20k a week (which we definitely won't) for a contact to the end of June, it will be about about £900K in total.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Do your maths.  If we pay him £20k a week (which we definitely won't) for a contact to the end of June, it will be about about £900K in total.    

 

My mistake. Lob that in the Avon then. Same custard. He is terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, roydo said:

Everton fan by birth, City follower by residence here.

He is terrible. Nuclear level terrible. Ask Stoke, not just Everton fans. 

And he will drain City with his wage demands. Unless the club sort him with a Carrol type contract at Newcastle. Which he wont accept. 

 

 

I really don't think he's in any position to demand big money. He's lost his international place, he hasn't got a club, he's not exactly batting off clubs. This could be his last club/deal at his age, i'm sure he's made enough money in his career to date to take a decent cut vs Stoke wage, baring in mind he will be getting an upfront signing on fee on top anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, roydo said:

 

That will be £10 million lobbed in the river Avon mate.  

I agree  - to offer him a 10 year contract at his age would be crazy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2019 at 09:27, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he's a good option. Don't underestimate the impact a seasoned pro can have off the pitch as part of the dressing room. Think Wilbraham and Elliot.

For every Wilbs and Wayne there is a Jody Morris or Nicky Hunt or Damion Stewart (unfortunately)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

Do we know what other options he has??

If you think about it, we are a good option for him.

  • Good footballing side - he's used to playing out from the back
  • near to Wales - not for all but him it is.
  • genuine chance of game time. Suspensions and injuries 
  • will have to work hard to get into the side at present
  • Improve his chances of getting back into the Welsh squad

For us:

  • experienced head which is a lacking
  • leadership qualities
  • been there seen it done it - that could help us at the business end of the season 

Hope he signs

 

 

Unfortunately you missed out the significant cons

Relatively expensive, Age, Last Season's form [this is my biggest concern], fitness (no pre-season) and injury record for starters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On GCSE results day I would give him a C minus. Taking into account his age, fitness levels (ok i'm not in the know), wages etc I would give him a final mark of D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

On GCSE results day I would give him a C minus. Taking into account his age, fitness levels (ok i'm not in the know), wages etc I would give him a final mark of D.

 Not sure what you mean, I’d say somewhere between and 3 and 5, with potential to get 6 or 7 if he works hard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2019 at 21:05, roydo said:

 

My mistake. Lob that in the Avon then. Same custard. He is terrible. 

I respect your thoughts  & opinions as you have seen him perform no doubt.  I heard exactly the same thing reference Bentley from a Bees  fan who was pleased to see the back of him, yet for us, to date, he has been exceptionaly decent .  Sometimes a new start and fresh beginning can do the world of good.  I recall him being very good few years back. We shall see.  point is our centre backs are not going to perform week in and out and we simply need cover.  Best option who is free it appears

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2019 at 09:27, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he's a good option. Don't underestimate the impact a seasoned pro can have off the pitch as part of the dressing room. Think Wilbraham and Elliot.

...and Paul Hartley and Gary Shelton ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the sound of leadership stuff but at the end of the day we have Kalas at the back already I don’t too much more would make a greater overall performance. If he’s not been signed he’s probably playing silly buggers with wages

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's done. I'm very very excited to be itk for the first time in my life, but I have very good reason to believe it's over the line. I know that's hardly groundbreaking news but as I say, I'm just excited to be ahead of the news for once 😂

  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...