IGNORED

SIGNED: Ashley Williams - Short Term Contract (Mid Jan)

Dolman Block B

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You were indeed!

Maybe I'm doing him a bit of a disservice then, Rowett but a tiki taka possession manager he isn't- maybe Stoke was different but 2nd half at AG especially they looked a typical Rowett side I thought- very hard to break down, less of the ball and yes we put them under the cosh and played very well but same time, they were nuggety. Think he sets up in that style even if he has better players at their disposal- making the most of counterattacks, exploiting space. Not so much defensive in his case IMO but more counterattacking- somewhere between at this level, I don't know a Warnock at one end and right now a Bielsa at the other? Middling in terms of style, but not so bothered about possession. Maybe Bojan had fallen off entirely but he definitely could've fitted him in there.

Try:

Woods Allen

Ince Etebo Bojan

Afobe

Just think he was pretty cautious and didn't necessarily make the most of what he had attacking wise as he's a fairly cautious manager. Jones? Not sure what to make of him, as they seem to be shipping quite a few so far but had a reasonable defensive record v the better sides under him.

Had a ball-playing CB like Martins Indi in and out. Bauer a PL RB who wasn't terrible for them when he joined in Jan 2018 left out- fairly technically good. Also age profile, could've complimented each other maybe...

I digress but I am wary that pretty well any defender- not just Williams- aged 35 in a higher line, more attacking game even at CB at this level- early 30's okay, beyond that? Not so much.

Don’t disagree with any of that. You are devil advocating my devil’s advocate post ??

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ignore Stoke for the mo’, the questions for you are:

- if you don’t rate him as a Prem player do you think he could do a job in the Champ?

- if this was the start of last season and you were told we were after Williams do you think he would’ve been a good signing?

Then look at your answers add a year, reflect on a CB who played a large(ish) number of games in a Champ team with the 4th best defensive record and answer them again.

You might end up with the same answer, but there will be bias in comparing a player’s performance at a Prem club and not then reflecting on the different ability levels to play higher up. 

As a set of fans I find us very snobby when it comes to recruitment, it’s as if no player is good enough for Bristol City, whether that’s a player on his way down or up.

FWIW he wouldn’t have been top of my list, but I’m not convinced he’s over the hill yet either.  As cover / rotation / play in horses for courses games, I don’t think it’s as bad a signing as a lot are making out  

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I don't rate him as a Prem player, but that doesn't mean he couldn't do the job at this level.

I wouldn't have been excited at all with the signing a year ago, and less so now.

I will admit I can't say I paid particular attention to how he did last season, and looking at the comparison with Batth that BBSB provided his raw numbers don't appear too bad for the ball playing role of a CB, though I don't know how they compare to the division average for those metrics.

I have trust in the scouting management and if they decided to sign him then he can prove me wrong, I suspect they've indentified him out of the free agents by looking for certain metrics and he is the best fit out of the names available.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I think the key words are ‘ emergency cover ‘.

What I look for in possible signings is the right motivation and in this case it appears that he fancies one last shot at the Euros with Wales and isn’t just looking for one last payday and a nice easy life in the West Country.

I like the look of Rowe in this respect as well , the guy would be busting a gut to get into the first team and luckily for him a place has opened up with Jay’s injury.

Motivation moves mountains.

The three posts above encapsulate roughly where I am on this. In an ideal world, we wouldn't be scrumming around in the free transfer bargain bin at this point of the season but we are where we are. Any out of contract player at this point will have an element of risk about them or else they would not be free transfers. To me, Ashley Williams seems as reasonable a choice as any from what is available. Let's see what he can do if he signs. 

21 minutes ago, rednotblue said:

Disappointed if we do sign him hardly a ball playing centre half.

A centre half with a lot of experience.

Whether he is still up to the standard we need is to be seen. But an international with his experience is a good move considering that we have goofed up a bit by letting Vyner go on loan and Bailey Wright getting injured.

So another body to assist our promotion push (after this evenings result) is a welcome move.

3 minutes ago, boatman said:

Just heard interview with LJ and he said Williams has spent a day training with the club and he might be back in a few days to discuss money.

So doesn’t sound like a done deal by a long way.

Said it wasn’t a trial. Expect more new Thursday or Friday. Lee mentioned that Ashley being able to keep playing with Wales was a big consideration 

19 minutes ago, boatman said:

Just heard interview with LJ and he said Williams has spent a day training with the club and he might be back in a few days to discuss money.

So doesn’t sound like a done deal by a long way.

For him to be in a city jogging kit seems LJ wants his influence within the team and maybe Ashley is happy with this if LJ helps him with his coaching . 

I see him as a cover for Baker/bailey wright and a player you can throw on with 10 mins to go to see a game out . 

City obviously need CB cover and LJ knows what he’s doing. Should Williams sign his vast experience will benefit the younger guys like TM in City's squad. 

Lets not forget that TM is still young and inexperienced at Championship level and it’s asking a lot to expect him to play and perform week in week out. It’s a lot of pressure and expectation on the lad.

Williams would be a useful addition to the squad.

Archived