Reading v Cardiff

Slippin cider

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Right 

That’s it....**** it ........let’s riot

Down outside the Lansdown 8 am sharp in the morning

Ill go via Wickes and get the ply board for the protest placards 

:trumpet:

Can we use our TM Lewin 15% off on bedsheets?

In all honesty though, that is a sobering list. Which other of those clubs would have any expectation of playing in the top flight in the modern era? Preston and Brentford I guess...Luton are on a good run but have been non-league since they last played there. Notts County are non-league now. Its probably an unfashionable opinion to hold right now but down the years the folk running Bristol City have been notably unsuccessful!

Edit: missed out Millwall as a club that might have expectations...

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

In all honesty though, that is a sobering list. Which other of those clubs would have any expectation of playing in the top flight in the modern era? Preston and Brentford I guess...Luton are on a good run but have been non-league since they last played there. Notts County are non-league now. Its probably an unfashionable opinion to hold right now but down the years the folk running Bristol City have been notably unsuccessful!

We’ve failed to build / kick on from some decent positions on a few occasions haven't we 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We’ve failed to build / kick on from some decent positions on a few occasions haven't we 

yes...lack of conviction and belief I fear. What I find telling is the number of occasions other clubs have managed to get promoted - Sheffield United, Watford and Wolves have all been promoted 3 times in different eras, Norwich and Palace have been promoted 5 times.

Flinty is a ‘confidence player’. 

Remember his first season when he was an absolute liability, as fragile as a butterfly and mistake ridden.

His confidence with us grew and grew, to a degree where he was a defensive rock and top goal threat -  even played up front. He was loved here, which helped his confidence.

Think he could now be on a bit of a slippery slope. If their fans turn on him that’ll accelerate his decline. 

One of my favourite players, I’ll love him even more if he spectacularly flops at Cardiff. 

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

yes...lack of conviction and belief I fear. What I find telling is the number of occasions other clubs have managed to get promoted - Sheffield United, Watford and Wolves have all been promoted 3 times in different eras, Norwich and Palace have been promoted 5 times.

Cardiff and Swansea too, who could forget them both, jheeeez!

31 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

As the only clubs to have played in the top flight since the second world war and never in the Prem are us, Brentford, Carlisle, Grimsby, Orient, Luton, Millwall, Northampton, Notts County, Oxford and Preston I'd suggest that @Bob Bob Super Bob is right!

But football didn't start with the Premier League did it? Check out our history, and while your at it check the all time standings in the football pyramid, I think you might change your mind that we are not so shit as you might like us to be...BBSB right? Haaa!  

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

But football didn't start with the Premier League did it? Check out our history, and while your at it check the all time standings in the football pyramid, I think you might change your mind that we are not so shit as you might like us to be...BBSB right? Haaa!  

'like us to be' - dear me...I'm well aware of our history...

...but having got that out of the way the relevance of promotions to the Premier League is that is where, presumably, we are trying to get...and I'd suggest that we've made a pretty poor fist of it in comparison to other clubs of a similar size and stature.

If you take this as a guide:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11713743/sky-sports-ultimate-league-201819-every-clubs-true-standing-over-past-50-years-revealed

...our average spot in the ranking of English clubs in the past 50 years is 41st and we are, along with Millwall, Notts County, Preston and Luton the only sides in the top 50 not to have played in the Premier League...

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

They`re home to Huddersfield on Wednesday and we all saw how poor they were on Friday but will they have a new manager by then?

If Cardiff don`t get something out of that game I can see me seeing a lot more of Mr W strolling along the quayside in Looe in the next week or two. I honestly think he`ll walk.

And not a bad place to take a stroll, sometimes wonder why he puts himself through it though the same thing could be said for most of us on here. 

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

...incidentally the full list of teams to have played in the top flight but not the Prem is completed by Accrington, Bradford Park Avenue, Bury, Darwen and Glossop North End...we're in good company!

Glossop North End fans have been waiting patiently for 119 years to return to the top flight. I will stick my neck out and state that I cannot see them achieving it for at least another decade on top of that.

The only moment of glory they've experienced in those 119 years was reaching the FA Cup QF 110 years ago where they were knocked out of the competition by a certain Bristol City.

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Glossop North End fans have been waiting patiently for 119 years to return to the top flight. I will stick my neck out and state that I cannot see them achieving it for at least another decade on top of that.

The only moment of glory they've experienced in those 119 years was reaching the FA Cup QF 110 years ago where they were knocked out of the competition by a certain Bristol City.

Haha - and been waiting a fair few years for revenge!

43 minutes ago, pillred said:

And not a bad place to take a stroll, sometimes wonder why he puts himself through it though the same thing could be said for most of us on here. 

We don`t have thousands of people telling us what we`re doing wrong either!

Seriously though,  I hope he has the good sense to retire before he has a heart attack or a stroke. He looks like one waiting to happen every time you see him on the touchline and that would be such a sad way for one of the game`s `characters` to end up.

2 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Enjoyed reading their forum ??

Which one? ccmb is the main one and for some reason it’s slower than Morrison today. Quite glad I can’t even log in to vent my spleen. Pack going off was a big one, but our midfield is shiiiite. I predicted 5th, make that 15th on today’s show. 

3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

...but having got that out of the way the relevance of promotions to the Premier League is that is where, presumably, we are trying to get...and I'd suggest that we've made a pretty poor fist of it in comparison to other clubs of a similar size and stature.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11713743/sky-sports-ultimate-league-201819-every-clubs-true-standing-over-past-50-years-revealed

...our average spot in the ranking of English clubs in the past 50 years is 41st and we are, along with Millwall, Notts County, Preston and Luton the only sides in the top 50 not to have played in the Premier League...

I can assure I completely understand supporting City in the lower leagues I grew up with the Third Division South, I also experienced the top flight too, and then the drop to the basement of the Fourth. We have always played or tried to play a brand of football that is easy on the eye, which for me is paramount. Of course the top flight is the goal, but look at where we are as a Club now... compared with others that have been in the Prem .

So perhaps the most important consideration is good governance, which we have, promotion can wreck a club financially, and to be frank we are just not that football 'mad' in Bristol, so that has always weighed against us . 

So if there was a league as to the best run football clubs in the country we would I am sure be Premier League. 

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

So if there was a league as to the best run football clubs in the country we would I am sure be Premier League. 

I appreciate that sentiment - and after 1982 I'm grateful we have a club to support at all...but I'm not getting any younger and it would be great to be just a little bit more successful! 40 years is a long wait.

take

The 41st position is interesting in contrast to this table, unfortunately I can’t find the same for post war

http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/engprof-alltime.html

basically we are 21st in terms of point won all time but have played a lot fewer seasons than the teams above. Suggests we spent a lot of seasons at the top of the third/fourth tiers but not winning promotion. Always thought this plays into the narrative of city being a ‘sleeping giant’

10 minutes ago, reddevil said:

The 41st position is interesting in contrast to this table, unfortunately I can’t find the same for post war

http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/engprof-alltime.html

basically we are 21st in terms of point won all time but have played a lot fewer seasons than the teams above. Suggests we spent a lot of seasons at the top of the third/fourth tiers but not winning promotion. Always thought this plays into the narrative of city being a ‘sleeping giant’

Now found something like it, post war we have the 19th best winning record in league games.

http://rufff.net/?post_type=table-stats&p=190

http://rufff.net/?post_type=table-stats&p=242

so win a lot at a lower level

46 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I appreciate that sentiment - and after 1982 I'm grateful we have a club to support at all...but I'm not getting any younger and it would be great to be just a little bit more successful! 40 years is a long wait.

I wouldn’t get too excited about a promotion to the money league,  it isn’t all that, take away the extra cash which all goes on players wages and a few players that don’t interest the bigger six, patronised on motd and by the media etc....and then trying to balance the books when the inevitable comes along.....still, I guess you need to live it to know it.

10 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

I wouldn’t get too excited about a promotion to the money league,  it isn’t all that, take away the extra cash which all goes on players wages and a few players that don’t interest the bigger six, patronised on motd and by the media etc....and then trying to balance the books when the inevitable comes along.....still, I guess you need to live it to know it.

Did you actually enjoy much of last season or was it a case of `how many are we going to get beat by this week?`

26 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

Did enjoy it, saw it as bit of a novelty with no expectation. It’s like we couldn’t lose as relegation was always likely.

I think the best way to be is a yo yo club, season in the prem playing the big boys and getting beat most weeks, then a season or two of being successful at this level and then rinse and repeat. Grinding out enough points to survive year on year when your only interest is scraping past 40 points does not appeal to me on a long term basis. 

8 hours ago, Unan said:

Shame their support is so tinpot & their forum is so inactive, it’s in meltdown mode.

https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=209206&sid=4e79a3752b5a22935da2831107437511

Always appreciate OTIB a bit more when you see the absolute mess that many other clubs’ forums seem to be, not least of all that one. Almost unusable on  phone.

Archived