IGNORED

Palmer and his sliding tackles

boadle

Loving the new look Bristol City squad and it’s potential, but I’m a bit concerned at KP’s love of a desperate sliding tackle. He seems to do several a game and it’s only a matter of time before it costs us a red card. 

24 minutes ago, boadle said:

Loving the new look Bristol City squad and it’s potential, but I’m a bit concerned at KP’s love of a desperate sliding tackle. He seems to do several a game and it’s only a matter of time before it costs us a red card. 

He committed just one foul yesterday and I can't remember thinking any of his challenges were reckless or dangerous.

1 hour ago, boadle said:

If players are doing sliding tackles in this day and age, it's because they were out of position in the first place, not urgent enough or trying to recover from a mistake. No need for them unless absolute no other option.

There's a quote from Ibrahimovich who had a player slide into him...he just looked at him with pity :laugh:

1 minute ago, spudski said:

If players are doing sliding tackles in this day and age, it's because they were out of position in the first place, not urgent enough or trying to recover from a mistake. No need for them unless absolute no other option.

There's a quote from Ibrahimovich who had a player slide into him...he just looked at him with pity :laugh:

It is the way it has always been. Maldini famously said that if you need to make a tackle you've made an error.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Or because that's the only way to stop a player quicker than you? Or the only way to get to a through ball first?

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

It is the way it has always been. Maldini famously said that if you need to make a tackle you've made an error.

.....and that’s fine if you’re Maldini or a defender.  It’s a bit like saying goals only come about because of mistakes.  Of course it’s true, but the game is all about mistakes in some shape or form.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's an emergency measure for sure.

Yes for a defender or defensive midfielder, where their position is more set. As an attacking midfielder Palmer will always be on the move without the ball, making a slide tackle far more likely. 

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

.....and that’s fine if you’re Maldini or a defender.  It’s a bit like saying goals only come about because of mistakes.  Of course it’s true, but the game is all about mistakes in some shape or form.

Not saying it's worth him being hung drawn and quartered over, but if you're talking seriously, call it what it is: a mistake!

2 hours ago, James54De said:

Yes for a defender or defensive midfielder, where their position is more set. As an attacking midfielder Palmer will always be on the move without the ball, making a slide tackle far more likely. 

Palmer will always be on the move without the ball? I beg to differ...it's the one thing he has to massively improve on.

4 hours ago, INCRED said:

Rather see him getting stuck in than standing off admiring the opposition 

He led by example yesterday and it was pleasing to see such a talented player do the dirty work as well

This 100%. This is his club now, he's not on loan. He has to lead by example and he has done that so far. Im excited as I feel there is much much more to come from him. The summer in the gym seems to have worked too, with players bouncing off of him! 

• Admin
5 hours ago, spudski said:

The only positive that ever comes out of a sliding tackle is that it gets a British crowd fired up. 

The only? What about then potentially having possession of the ball when previously it was at the feet of an opponent? 

10 minutes ago, City Cat said:

Whilst we're on the subject of tackling....

A class act, who when he tackled more often than not won the ball. Judged accordingly.

When deciding to tackle, you need to win possession for it to be successful.

No point in sliding in or making a tackle, if you've ended up on your arse with the opposition in possession still.

It's got to be calculated to be successful.

3 hours ago, Simon79 said:

I know the actions spoken about, but I would more refer to it as a block ( am I being pedantic?). It’s not a 50/50 type tackle ala Semenyo. It’s more often than not, a sliding block against a fullback clipping it down the touch line, isn’t it? COYR 

Yes you’re right. He kind of throws himself into a sliding block, generally in front of the player, usually the fullback, and usually to block a clearance. I think he did it in the first 10 seconds of Saturdays game. I guess it’s not the same as a full contact sliding tackle, but I always wince because it has the potential to go wrong, but also because it’s really easy to read, and the opponent generally Cruyff-turns out of it, leaving KP looking a bit amateurish. Not the biggest complaint, but something to look out for.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

The only positive that ever comes out of a sliding tackle is that it gets a British crowd fired up. 

Nonsense. No defender can ever position themselves perfectly to stop a skilful attacker beating them in any direction. A perfect sliding tackle to dispossess a brilliant winger flying past you is a great skill. What would YOU do, let him go?

Archived