IGNORED

Josh Brownhill

SStandUp

Games seem to pass him by. Never really has an impact. Not sure exactly what his role is? 

Compare that to Massengo who made late runs into the box and nearly scored twice off the back of them. 

Are we playing to Brownhills strengths by playing him in that deep CM role? I'm unsure. Either way, he's not offering enough for me, despite being a good player.

Happy for someone enlighten me. 

He's a very solid central midfield player. Good all rounder, who at just 23, has played almost 200 games at Championship level. That says a lot as the level is fast paced and unforgiving. 

He's a different style to Pack, Nagy or Massengo so difficult to compare them like for like. I would like to see him score more goals though and pop up inside the box.

I too think he's a bit better as a more advanced midfielder - but he's not quite as creative as Palmer so in the current setup probably won't get to play there regularly. I think he might play a bit better if deeper alongside Nagy who will move the ball quicker than Pack. 

Johnson making him captain in games shows that he wants him to take more responsibility this season. 

He's a more than decent footballer who was reportedly attracting some PL interest a year or so ago, but perhaps his main value to the team currently is simply that he's a high-energy, box-to-box grafter who gets through a lot of work in a game. 

Somebody has to put a shift in. Palmer, on last season's evidence, could be a luxury player whose presence would require balancing out with a Brownhill (rather like having JET in the side back in the day). The point is perhaps less valid now, as Palmer, I'm delighted to say, has started to look fitter and has pulled his weight more in the early games this season, but nevertheless you do sometimes need a mix of different types in there.

How the arrival on the scene of Massengo ad Nagy alters that remains to be seen...

Thought v Brum he benefitted from Nagy moving it quickly to him. Good game.

On Saturday I thought he had a tough first half as Cameron outmuscled him every time he tried to break the lines. With the sub at h-t I think he took on responsibility for sitting in and gave a mature performance. 

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Brownhill’s work goes unnoticed. That’s all. 

I think this is probably the case. But with Korey Smith you would notice his work, with Pack you'd notice his work, with Palmer and Nagy you see how they are having an impact on the game. 

With Browngill i often leave games going, yeh he was solid, but what did he actually do? 

He was excellent on the right side of midfield in 17/18 I thought.

He's not quite hit those heights in the middle I wouldn't say, but he's still in our first XI when playing three in central midfield for me.

Once all fit and settled, I'd imagine we'll see Nagy, Brownhill and Massengo starting. Smith will challenge for Brownhill's place, as well as being the first reserve for Nagy's. Palmer could play in Massengo's place, but will also compete with Weimann to play further forward. Szmodics/Walsh probably won't get too much game time if all those are fit. One of them could probably go out on loan in Jan if we're in a good place with injuries.

3 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

He was excellent on the right side of midfield in 17/18 I thought.

He's not quite hit those heights in the middle I wouldn't say, but he's still in our first XI when playing three in central midfield for me.

Once all fit and settled, I'd imagine we'll see Nagy, Brownhill and Massengo starting. Smith will challenge for Brownhill's place, as well as being the first reserve for Nagy's. Palmer could play in Massengo's place, but will also compete with Weimann to play further forward. Szmodics/Walsh probably won't get too much game time if all those are fit. One of them could probably go out on loan in Jan if we're in a good place with injuries.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that 

I do have some reservations about him being a jack of all trades and master of none but surely a lot of potential at only 23.

I hope the captaincy was just a token gesture though because surely there is someone more qualified in iur squad?! Why not Kalas?

Possibly a reflection of a lot of us not yet understanding Lee’s pattern of play and the role players have been asked to deliver. Maybe that includes the players - particularly those in midfield.

I do get he’s a busy bee and closes space down but, like others, still not quite sure what else he brings to the party - although don’t doubt he has a decent skill set.

Don’t think he currently puts in many decisive, hard tackles, doesn’t win many headers, not many thrusting passes, and only has the occasional decent shot. Anyhow, the Captaincy may well be the making off him and may prove a masterstroke from Lee as Captain’s need to impose themselves on the game and lead by example. Needs to get consistent 7’s in the ratings soon.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

I do have some reservations about him being a jack of all trades and master of none but surely a lot of potential at only 23.

I hope the captaincy was just a token gesture though because surely there is someone more qualified in iur squad?! Why not Kalas?

I actually thinks he tries to take games by the scruff of the neck and plays all the roles, but that just means he doesn’t excel at them and just ends up being solid and not spectacular.

i think if he just focussed on one role, he would be far more effective and noticeable.

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

Some players don't want it, some feel they need to concentrate on their own game? Personally I like a midfield player to be captain as they can easily connect with all parts of the team. 

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don’t know anywhere near enough about Brownhill to know whether he should or should not be captain and ditto Kalas but I do share the concern over the jack of all trades aspect. He is a very reliable player who won’t let the team down with whatever he is asked to do. You could play him at DM, CM, box to box or attacking midfield, stick him on the right of midfield or even on the wing or right back and he would not let us down but I do worry that his versatility, particularly in terms of the type of central midfield role he can play, can stop him from focusing on a particular role and doing it really well. I am a big fan of him and think he can become an even more key figure for us than he is already but I’d like him to have a clear role in our system that gets the best of him whereas too often I think his role is tweaked to suit others.

I'd like to see him play further forward.  He has the lungs to get forward and one hell of a shot on him.   I can see him and Massengo swapping in defence/attack with Nagy holding and Palmer No 10.  

The only issue is fitting in Eliasson who I love to see play.   Unless we have a flat back four and a front three of Palmer/Afobe/Eliasson.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

If we had JD back we could play a wicked diamond with all three of our lovely CMs.

Bentley

Pereira Kalas Baker JD

Nagy

Brownhill Massengo

Palmer

Afobe Weimann

Like the look of that.  

I do like Weimann energy but I'd love to see Semenyo with Afobe up front.   They would absolutely terrorise defences.

On a different tact, would be interesting to see Eliasson in a front two.   He must be the quickest player we have and with Palmer having two up front to play in I'm sure he would get plenty of chances. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think he is outstanding, and very rarely performs less than a 7 out of 10. Very mature performance from him Saturday. 

Must be a dream to manage, as he'll play anywhere and always give his best - bit like James Miller.  Probably a bit underappreciated as a result.

I don't think the OP is necessarily "scapegoating" Brownhill, just saying that deep in front of defence isn't particularly the position where we are best using his talents.

He's played far further back than he was at the start of last season. That may change when we get Korey back I suppose.

Not particularly worried about his form, class is permanent, I think he will flourish with Pack gone and will become the main man  in the middle of the park for us which will eventually lead to a Premiership move for a few quid . He can lead by example  

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he is outstanding, and very rarely performs less than a 7 out of 10. Very mature performance from him Saturday. 

I think that’s the frustration with Josh though. He’s a decent box to box midfielder who you could say is 7/10 every week but he’s not shown that he can really influence games on a regular basis by either getting on the ball or by getting 8-10 goals. He’s good enough for us but if he’s looking to get to the next level he needs to keep improving. 

47 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

Must be a dream to manage, as he'll play anywhere and always give his best - bit like James Miller.  Probably a bit underappreciated as a result.

Yep. And I see him going on to be a prem player by next season. He should be better than he is now by then too. He works so hard and is comfortable anywhere on the pitch. Prem bosses would love someone like Brownhill in their squad.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don’t know anywhere near enough about Brownhill to know whether he should or should not be captain and ditto Kalas but I do share the concern over the jack of all trades aspect. He is a very reliable player who won’t let the team down with whatever he is asked to do. You could play him at DM, CM, box to box or attacking midfield, stick him on the right of midfield or even on the wing or right back and he would not let us down but I do worry that his versatility, particularly in terms of the type of central midfield role he can play, can stop him from focusing on a particular role and doing it really well. I am a big fan of him and think he can become an even more key figure for us than he is already but I’d like him to have a clear role in our system that gets the best of him whereas too often I think his role is tweaked to suit others.

I've always rated him. But he doesn't pass as well as pack, or dribble like Palmer, or hassle like Korey, or read the game like Nagy, or move like Massengo.

Not especially strong or fast, nor slow or weak.

He's not outstanding in any area. Just a good standard at everything. His best attributes are work rate and endurance.

3 hours ago, RedEyez said:

Yeah, lets create a new scapegoat.

Lets do it to one of our better players too

Damn, why didn't I think of this?

Got to speak our minds though.

Archived