IGNORED

The point of Szmodics

FrozenRobin

9 minutes ago, FrozenRobin said:

Is he a potential starter under Lee?

Is he one for the future?

Why sign him and Palmer?

Exactly the same reason we have more than one keeper. Cover for injuries or lack of form.

Not sure if your trying to be facetious due to the limited game time he has had but as previous posters have said. We've had 3 league games. 

5 minutes ago, FrozenRobin said:

Is he a potential starter under Lee?

Is he one for the future?

Why sign him and Palmer?

Szmodics has made a huge step up standard from L2 to the Championship and it’ll take a while for him to accustomed to life at our level. 

It’ll be a culture shock. Everything will be new and different. The facilities and training up at Failand. All The stadiums will be far superior to what he’s used to. Even the away travel and accommodation will be superior.

He’ll have to adapt and learn the way LJ wants City to play and impress in training to earn a place in the matchday squad.

Give the lad time - we’re only three games into the campaign.

It's been tough for him because of the potential quality that we have signed. Football though, has a strange way of throwing up opportunities for anyone to grasp and i'm sure if he sticks at it and keeps his chin up, things can still work out at BCFC for Sammie Szmodics.

Like people have said, we've only played 3 games !!

Is this the player Johnson was quoted as saying he didn’t know whether to get him or not and tried to talk himself out of it ?(maybe not his exact words but that was the gist). If so that might explain things a bit?

Probably too big a step up for him at the moment, think he did well pre season and everyone was raving about him then he struggled against Palace wasn’t it, but most did, and with the arrival of Kasey his place looks taken. Even more so now we have a few more new players with higher pedigree than him.

Probably going to be used as back up. Johnson will probably want to mound him a little more, remember he didn’t fully use Kasey  for ages when he arrived in January. Think he has only just played a full 90 with us recently? 

Sammy’s time will come, it’s a game of patience and grabbing opportunities

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Is this the player Johnson was quoted as saying he didn’t know whether to get him or not and tried to talk himself out of it ?(maybe not his exact words but that was the gist). If so that might explain things a bit?

Probably too big a step up for him at the moment, think he did well pre season and everyone was raving about him then he struggled against Palace wasn’t it, but most did, and with the arrival of Kasey his place looks taken. Even more so now we have a few more new players with higher pedigree than him.

Probably going to be used as back up. Johnson will probably want to mound him a little more, remember he didn’t fully use Kasey  for ages when he arrived in January. Think he has only just played a full 90 with us recently? 

Sammy’s time will come, it’s a game of patience and grabbing opportunities

I beg your pardon!

1 minute ago, RedM said:

What LJ meant was a positive thing. As he subsequently explained he kept looking at the evidence and kept finding that he ticked the boxes.

The player himself said that the biggest difference is that the Championship is much more tactically demanding and he needs to develop in that respect.

He has the raw material and a good attitude and time on his side though.

He didn't really show much against Palace and I forgot he was playing against QPR away despite having several 2nd string playing for them. I really hope he gets up to speed as I think he would be good playing up top with a target man.

There are a number of players we have signed under LJ - Brownhill, Eliasson and  O'Dowda being three examples - who have had a season of being mostly used as subs, if at all, before becoming established either midway through the season or during their second season. LJ tends to like new signings to have time to bed in and understand how we play before trusting them regularly. Szmodics is on a learning curve but I am sure we will see more of him. 

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

What LJ meant was a positive thing. As he subsequently explained he kept looking at the evidence and kept finding that he ticked the boxes.

The player himself said that the biggest difference is that the Championship is much more tactically demanding and he needs to develop in that respect.

He has the raw material and a good attitude and time on his side though.

I didnt take it as a negative, sorry I didnt make that clear now i have read it back. I thought LJ was saying he knew he wasnt quite ready and needed a bit of time but he was too good to resist at this moment in time. i think he feels he has something and if we had walked away another club would have taken a chance and either had a good player or would make a hefty profit. 

Although at the same time he might also have had ghosts of some players he thought the same about in his mind

As others have said, step up and acclimatising etc, but I'm not sure how things were planned for the recruitment. 
Was KP always on the radar?
Was Szmodics originally going to be first choice?
It depends how you see the KP deal, not sure if we offered a deal from the off because it looked like he was off to Swansea, until we offered a full time deal rather than loan. SS played a lot preseason and seemed to do well, changed a little when Palmer came in but I don't think that's a bad thing. Gives the lad a gentle learning curve to get used to what is a big step up.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

As others have said, step up and acclimatising etc, but I'm not sure how things were planned for the recruitment. 
Was KP always on the radar?
Was Szmodics originally going to be first choice?
It depends how you see the KP deal, not sure if we offered a deal from the off because it looked like he was off to Swansea, until we offered a full time deal rather than loan. SS played a lot preseason and seemed to do well, changed a little when Palmer came in but I don't think that's a bad thing. Gives the lad a gentle learning curve to get used to what is a big step up.

With Palmer having been on loan at City last season LJ and his assistants knew pretty much what ability KS has in his locker - not so with Szmodics.

They obviously knew what an impact he had in L2 and that his core skills were above the average L2 midfielder but no guarantee that he’d be able to make the huge step up to the Championship. 

Its a calculated gamble - other signings from lower leagues have failed to make the step up. Akinde and Eisa for example and whether Szmodics will make it remains to be seen. 

As others have said he looked useful preseason but those matches are exactly that - preseason so not an accurate gauge.

Time will tell I guess. 

I still remember Brownhill’s first game for us. Looked absolutely lost. By Boxing Day he was playing a massive part in the side. Szmodics I feel will be similar. Maybe not as quick but think his minutes will increase as the season goes on. Can still see him as a support striker at times perhaps. Also keep in mind injuries have forced a shape I am not sure was preferred and could be affecting minutes for him and some others like Semenyo and Eliasson. 

3 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

It's been tough for him because of the potential quality that we have signed. Football though, has a strange way of throwing up opportunities for anyone to grasp and i'm sure if he sticks at it and keeps his chin up, things can still work out at BCFC for Sammie Szmodics.

Like people have said, we've only played 3 games !!

Exactly, no one thought that Rowe would be a starter in August.

42 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

C’mon @Davefevs - you never miss the chance to highlight your Sammie song!! 

#Feelingsupersonicgivemesammieszmodics 

There you go! ???

He might take a while to settle in....but let’s also give him credit for starting 1 and being in the 18 every game so far.

When the likes of Walsh, O’Dowda, etc aren’t getting changed, we probably need to accept we’ve improved our midfield / attacking options!

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

#Feelingsupersonicgivemesammieszmodics ?

There you go! ???

He might take a while to settle in....but let’s also give him credit for starting 1 and being in the 18 every game so far.

When the likes of Walsh, O’Dowda, etc aren’t getting changed, we probably need to accept we’ve improved our midfield / attacking options!

I hope you have a way of copying and pasting that, and don't have to type it each time :laughcont::clapping:

The club are clearly constantly scouting and monitoring all sorts of potential new players.

No doubt sometimes the club goes out to find a player to fill a gap in the squad, sometimes to improve an area of the first team.

And sometimes there are probably players that might not immediately be one of those two things, but get on the list as they tick all the other boxes of the kind of player we are after. 

I see Smozdics as one of those, right attributes, became available, we get him. As we know, in a year or two he could go on to be worth £m's, but clearly is a slow burner this season, as rightly pointed out already ala Brownhill, O'Dowda, Eliasson and Moore etc.

Archived