IGNORED

Fammy being dropped

Sniper

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Fam is a big character. Anyone who saw him walk around the pitch at FT will have noticed that this is a guy who isn't going to act the knob. I'm sure he will fight on to play football. Good luck, FD.  A real decent bloke too

Exactly the point i was going to make. He led the applause like he had played and guided the new players around the pitch to thank all stands. i thought that was very professional of him and he certainly impressed me with his attitude.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Perhaps I didn’t explain myself properly - Fammy misses more than he scores and if he had a sharper goal scoring instinct he’d have a far better goals per game ratio.

Personally I think his confidence is shot just now. Blazing his penalty over bar at Loftus Rd certainly didn’t help.

Confidence shot? ? He always looks up for it.

3 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Fam is a big character. Anyone who saw him walk around the pitch at FT will have noticed that this is a guy who isn't going to act the knob. I'm sure he will fight on to play football. Good luck, FD.  A real decent bloke too

Totally agree. Was watching him during the warm up, geeing other players up etc. Was impressed with his attitude & professionalism before the game had even started. Great character. COYR 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Perhaps I didn’t explain myself properly - Fammy misses more than he scores and if he had a sharper goal scoring instinct he’d have a far better goals per game ratio.

Personally I think his confidence is shot just now. Blazing his penalty over bar at Loftus Rd certainly didn’t help.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

A game in which he scored an excellent goal isn't a good way of making your point though.

Fammy did score an excellent goal, but he also missed a sitter (heading over from 3 yards out) when we were 2-3 up, which would have wrapped up the game. Robbored is right he misses more than he scores, in fact he often seems to miss the easy chances and score with quality finishes. Just like in some games he holds the ball up well and fully occupies the oppositions CBs, in other games he displays the level of control you might expect from a non-league forward and looks ineffective.

Hopefully having competition from Afobe will mean he will come out with his A game, when he does get a chance to stake a place in the starting 11.

IWhen ever he gets a chance, it's now over to FD to show what he is capable of.  I'm sure it will piss him off to be dropped, but as long as he maintains his professional attitude, he'll play a lot of games this season and hopefully score quite a few goals.

33 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

IWhen ever he gets a chance, it's now over to FD to show what he is capable of.  I'm sure it will piss him off to be dropped, but as long as he maintains his professional attitude, he'll play a lot of games this season and hopefully score quite a few goals.

Quite simply, playing with better players makes better players. 

Famara will also pick up little things from Afobe which will help his game.

I still believe that we haven’t seen the best of FD and , despite his reasonable success since his signing , I think he will have his best season yet with the new players around him.

:fingerscrossed:

14 minutes ago, Super said:

Was disappointed in him last night after Afobe put in a real shift. Needs to do a lot more than that.

It really felt like at times that we were playing with 10 men in the last 20 mins last night. 

5 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

It really felt like at times that we were playing with 10 men in the last 20 mins last night. 

It’s about game management. LJ changed tactics slightly by bringing Famara on. City were under the cosh and needed him to hold the ball up at Derby’s end to ease pressure and it worked pretty well, seeing the game out to a 1-2 win.

He was poor last night. When you come on for 20 minutes people want to see more effort and passion than Fam showed. He was slow closing down and helping defend imo. 

Then the main reason he came on was to help get us up the pitch as Afobe was pretty tired and couldn’t help. Fam also did not do this. 

Was a tough game to come into as Derby had all the possession the second half but Fam did not do enough to help see the game out. If he is disappointed about being dropped then he went about getting more minutes the wrong way last night. He needs to do more when he gets his chances now. Important for him to knuckle down and get better

I' know he was ineffective last night, but hardly surprising. Most of the time after he came on he only saw the ball driven from 50 yards, 8 feet off the ground, with all 9 others outfield players massed in our penalty area waiting for the next  Derby attack. Felt really sorry for him.

On last night's performance, would not even make the 18 man squad, I understand balls being hit to him can be difficult, but several times he had the chance to pass the ball and play in someone else but just held on to it and lost it, then seemed not that bothered with chasing down and trying to win the ball back, very poor. 

I think Fam is caught in a really difficult position where his natural game is to run onto balls played in front of him on the ground and then go on goal. This season LJ brings in midfielders that play that way and suddenly he is dropped in favour of Afobe, despite Fam having a reasonable goal scoring record. Plus when Fam does come on, we keep playing in a style that doesn’t actually suit him, hoofing the ball to him with little or no support. Yes his control is variable (sometimes good, sometimes awful) but to play hold up against 2 or even 3 defenders is not easy. In the first 25 minutes against QPR, Afobe struggled with the same role and hardly saw the ball. Similarly Afobe missed 2 great chances at Brum. Unless you are Ronaldo or Messi, most strikers miss more than they score. If they didn’t we would be looking at double figure score lines more often!

Also there is this expectation that because Fam is big that he will be a great header of the ball. Again although defensively with his head he is very handy and often clears, being a target man for headers up front is not his natural game, but for most of last season LJ persisted with wingers. Yes Fam could try to improve that but do we have any coaches who could teach him? Does Cheesley do any coaching?

Bottom line is Fam’s attitude has been great, in that he usually wants to gee up the crowd, and really feeds off our support, as much as Matty Taylor did. And he hasn’t taken it to heart when some have given him some stick. However,  for quite a while he has been a square peg in a round hole. Suddenly LJ creates a square hole opportunity for a striker and Fam is left out, or asked to come on as a sub when LJ wants a round hole filling. Hopefully Fam can see it through and stick it out, becoming a better player in the process.

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I think Fam is caught in a really difficult position where his natural game is to run onto balls played in front of him on the ground and then go on goal. This season LJ brings in midfielders that play that way and suddenly he is dropped in favour of Afobe, despite Fam having a reasonable goal scoring record. Plus when Fam does come on, we keep playing in a style that doesn’t actually suit him, hoofing the ball to him with little or no support. Yes his control is variable (sometimes good, sometimes awful) but to play hold up against 2 or even 3 defenders is not easy. In the first 25 minutes against QPR, Afobe struggled with the same role and hardly saw the ball. Similarly Afobe missed 2 great chances at Brum. Unless you are Ronaldo or Messi, most strikers miss more than they score. If they didn’t we would be looking at double figure score lines more often!

Also there is this expectation that because Fam is big that he will be a great header of the ball. Again although defensively with his head he is very handy and often clears, being a target man for headers up front is not his natural game, but for most of last season LJ persisted with wingers. Yes Fam could try to improve that but do we have any coaches who could teach him? Does Cheesley do any coaching?

Bottom line is Fam’s attitude has been great, in that he usually wants to gee up the crowd, and really feeds off our support, as much as Matty Taylor did. And he hasn’t taken it to heart when some have given him some stick. However,  for quite a while he has been a square peg in a round hole. Suddenly LJ creates a square hole opportunity for a striker and Fam is left out, or asked to come on as a sub when LJ wants a round hole filling. Hopefully Fam can see it through and stick it out, becoming a better player in the process.

Plenty will say that isn't his game because we haven't played him like that. Afobe does look decent (overall better control and touch) and sharp, but we are playing straight to his strengths with the midfield we have at the moment. I do feel sorry for the bloke as he has been a scapegoat for many, but would have been nice to see him have a run of games with our current midfield at the moment. I think everyone would then know how good he really is (or isn't).

10 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

On last night's performance, would not even make the 18 man squad, I understand balls being hit to him can be difficult, but several times he had the chance to pass the ball and play in someone else but just held on to it and lost it, then seemed not that bothered with chasing down and trying to win the ball back, very poor. 

Agree 100%.

We needed him to do a job for the team last night and hold it up or just be a nuisance. I thought his attitude was very poor. Constantly gave the bill away, went down blind alleys and was literally just walking about. Not what was needed.

We put him on to play target man when that isn’t his game at all.

People will critique his ability to hold it up, but he was scavenging off long, high balls out of defence which I think any of the strikers would have struggled with.

I honestly think he and Afobe will work well as a two when we get to see that; Afobe has more pace, but Fam is a handful in different ways when playing off the last man.

He might need to play off the bench for a bit but think long term we’ll be pleased to have him here over the course of the season.

I really feel for the guy. As I others have mentioned, he has a decent scoring output. Fam isn’t the biggest striker and when the ball is repeatedly smashed your way in the air when there is 2 or 3 centre half’s around you, what can you do? He has seen Afobe come in and take his place. The service Afobe is getting is far superior due to Palmer, Massengo, Nagy. Fam hasn’t had that luxury. I’m not Fam’s spokesman or anything, but fans get on his back way too much. He’s asked to play a very isolated game when picked, it’s a very difficult position to master. 

18 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

I really feel for the guy. As I others have mentioned, he has a decent scoring output. Fam isn’t the biggest striker and when the ball is repeatedly smashed your way in the air when there is 2 or 3 centre half’s around you, what can you do? He has seen Afobe come in and take his place. The service Afobe is getting is far superior due to Palmer, Massengo, Nagy. Fam hasn’t had that luxury. I’m not Fam’s spokesman or anything, but fans get on his back way too much. He’s asked to play a very isolated game when picked, it’s a very difficult position to master. 

I do feel for him a bit he dose try hard most of the time but Whilst I agree when fammy is on we just hoof it up to him and expect him to hold it up etc, last night on a few occasions he had options to pass it but was just not aware enough of players around him (ok not enough most of the time) but we need to start playing the same as when Afobe was on as I said before LJ needs to tell the team to just stop just hoofing it up to him or make sure he has other player supporting him... At the moment unfortunately for him Afobe and Weimann look a better option up front at the moment, I'm sure he will get his chance (especially with our terrible injury record at the moment!) if so its up to him to work hard and impress...

4 hours ago, samo II said:

We put him on to play target man when that isn’t his game at all.

People will critique his ability to hold it up, but he was scavenging off long, high balls out of defence which I think any of the strikers would have struggled with.

I honestly think he and Afobe will work well as a two when we get to see that; Afobe has more pace, but Fam is a handful in different ways when playing off the last man.

He might need to play off the bench for a bit but think long term we’ll be pleased to have him here over the course of the season.

I agree

But it looks like Fam will have to be patient, as Wieman was unreal last night.

I can understand players being disappointed not to start, its all about how he reacts when he starts next. Hopefully it will make him more determined to try and earn his place back. 

Archived